Can you expose this company to assist others considering pre paid funerals? There have been many "collapses" of these pre paid funeral companies over the years, so I made all arrangements with a Funeral Parlor, accepted their quotation for my disposal, BUT, did not prepay! I have funeral insurance, and told them it would be paid, and the accepted quotation come into force, as soon as my Son, my Executor advised them of my death. I have written confirmation of ALL items I stipulated, BUT, getting my Insurance Policy honored is another question altogether, as I wanted a Funeral Policy, and later found that I had a Life Insurance Policy. This causes delays in paying up, as they will consult my doctors, and anyone else they can, to deny the claim. Unfortunately this is their modus operandi, so I do have concerns that my arrangements will still hit hurdles, due to this duplicity practiced by so many these days.
I will actually add his invoice and receipt

This article highlights how dependent we are on what is said at the time of arranging a prepaid funeral. For most it is not the most comfortable conversation and as the consumer we may forget to ask some questions and some funeral directors do not tell us all the facts. We were fortunate when my mother in law passed away in hospital in Singleton NSW that her pre paid funeral covered all the costs and the funeral director was extremely helpful.
Was she cremated or buried ? The extra cost to us was just the opening and closing of the grave which we were told was the normal thing and never added to prepaid funerals and the extra for transportation because it was out of business hours.

@SDC Staff, I'd really appreciate it if you could share information about funeral options and costs. This is far more relevant to me (and probably all your readers) than the latest amazing fantabulous offering from Kmart.
This article I put up to warn people that maybe not everything is in their pre paid funeral that they think.

All funerals are different cost. I think it would be hard to put prices up

Reactions: Veggiepatch
These are invoices from my uncle's funeral.

One showing his original statement

The second what I had to end up paying on top.

Tge first two is wgat my uncle paid the 3rd one is what I paid. My uncle had no kids
Screenshot_20240221_132057_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240221_130419_Messages.jpgScreenshot_20240221_130648_Gallery.jpg
I paid the above one

• Sad
Reactions: KatKop
Can you expose this company to assist others considering pre paid funerals? There have been many "collapses" of these pre paid funeral companies over the years, so I made all arrangements with a Funeral Parlor, accepted their quotation for my disposal, BUT, did not prepay! I have funeral insurance, and told them it would be paid, and the accepted quotation come into force, as soon as my Son, my Executor advised them of my death. I have written confirmation of ALL items I stipulated, BUT, getting my Insurance Policy honored is another question altogether, as I wanted a Funeral Policy, and later found that I had a Life Insurance Policy. This causes delays in paying up, as they will consult my doctors, and anyone else they can, to deny the claim. Unfortunately this is their modus operandi, so I do have concerns that my arrangements will still hit hurdles, due to this duplicity practiced by so many these days.
The funeral company was Guardian funerals I've added invoices to post

Sorry you lost youre uncle, I hope you don't have to pay for this, what's his wife doing, Its surely her responsibility.
I just found out if we stay at the grave while they fill it in then that's a charge of $650 🤔
My late Husband and I had paid for 2 spots in the cremation wall in a council cemetery, $2400 each. When I went to place his ashes, I had to pay another $800 for the placing of the ashes and another $600 for the plaque. Not to mention all the other expenses of a funeral.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Sorry you lost youre uncle, I hope you don't have to pay for this, what's his wife doing, Its surely her responsibility.

My late Husband and I had paid for 2 spots in the cremation wall in a council cemetery, $2400 each. When I went to place his ashes, I had to pay another $800 for the placing of the ashes and another $600 for the plaque. Not to mention all the other expenses of a funeral.
The funeral was 13 months ago , I posted this back then

My uncle's wife sort of didn't care, she hardly visited him, apparently I was the only one who did visit. When my mother could come to Sydney from Taree she would but hard when she needs a walking frame and she has Parkinson disease.

I paid the additional cost, plus arranged the funeral and did the eulogy, I don't know how I did it with my depression and illness. Hubby helped a bit but my anxiety level went overboard when I found out I had to organise it. There was no one else to do it. He was my only uncle , I was brought up by my grandparents and he lived at home for many years, he married late in life.
I've since told my uncle's ,wife's nephew that it was there responsibility when it comes time for her funeral. I also warned them to have money to pay for additional cost like the $3000 for opening the grave

Last edited:
Reactions: KatKop

Now wouldn't you think if you paid for a spot in a wall to put your ashes that would be it. $800 for placing the ashes now that's ridiculous but then again $3000 to open a grave is ridiculous.

I knew my mum wouldn’t have funeral insurance when she died last year. I just paid for the cremation which is all she wanted; she didn’t want a funeral. My sister has the ashes, rightfully so as she was my mum’s carer for the last 10 years or so. My mum’s body was cremated in the “cardboard “ casket and only cost about $1800 for the lot.
Might sound a bit heartless, but makes sense to me.

My uncle's wife sort of didn't care, she hardly visited him, apparently I was the only one who did visit. When my mother could come to Sydney from Taree she would but hard when she needs a walking frame and she has Parkinson disease.

I paid the additional cost, plus arranged the funeral and did the eulogy, I don't know how I did it with my depression and illness. Hubby helped a bit but my anxiety level went overboard when I found out I had to organise it. There was no one else to do it. He was my only uncle , I was brought up by my grandparents and he lived at home for many years, he married late in life.
I've since told my uncle's ,wife's nephew that it was there responsibility when it comes time for her funeral. I also warned them to have money to pay for additional cost like the $3000 for opening the grave
Sounds like Aunty was looking after herself, Parkinsons isn't nice, but then neither is what you have been through. You are a very kind caring person, please be kind to yourself as well🦋

That is so wrong. transfer from nursing home to funeral parlor would have been in the pre-paid, so would the cost of using their chapel. You are being ripped off and should not pay it. I used to be a funeral director.
I've added the invoices for what he paid and what I paid additionally.

My grandparents did a prepaid funeral in early 1980s and passed away 20 years ago, there were no additional expenses and he used the same one they did but died 20 years later and we were slapped with these extra cost.
He used the same one as his parents because of how smooth it went

Sounds like Aunty was looking after herself, Parkinsons isn't nice, but then neither is what you have been through. You are a very kind caring person, please be kind to yourself as well🦋
You know I actually sang to him the day before he died and two nurses were standing at the door with tears in their eyes . I wouldn't let him die alone
I was on my way back to the nursing home the next day when I got the call he passed away.

I knew my mum wouldn’t have funeral insurance when she died last year. I just paid for the cremation which is all she wanted; she didn’t want a funeral. My sister has the ashes, rightfully so as she was my mum’s carer for the last 10 years or so. My mum’s body was cremated in the “cardboard “ casket and only cost about $1800 for the lot.
Might sound a bit heartless, but makes sense to me.
Those cardboard caskets are great. My friend passed away suddenly last July, and his coffin was cardboard, and his surfboard was placed standing up leaning against it.

He was also cremated, he had always told his wife to do his funeral as cheap as possible and actually jokingly said to put him in a cardboard box.

It just felt more warm looking at it

Condolences to SR, and also thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention.

I think this situation is appalling - preying on family at a highly emotional time.

Rather than purchasing a prepaid funeral - which seems to be total misnomer in this sad case at least - I think it's better to have funeral insurance which pays an agreed amount once the insurance company receives official notification. The premium you pay depends on the amount insured which you decide.

A benefit of this insurance is that it is not tied to a funeral services provider. It gives freedom to family members to use the money toward any type of funeral, with any provider, or indeed, to use in any way they decide ( preferably with regard to their departed family member's wishes).

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Those cardboard caskets are great. My friend passed away suddenly last July, and his coffin was cardboard, and his surfboard was placed standing up leaning against it.

He was also cremated, he had always told his wife to do his funeral as cheap as possible and actually jokingly said to put him in a cardboard box.

It just felt more warm looking at it
I’d never heard of cardboard caskets/coffin before. My mum died last July.

Condolences to SR, and also thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention.

I think this situation is appalling - preying on family at a highly emotional time.

Rather than purchasing a prepaid funeral - which seems to be total misnomer in this sad case at least - I think it's better to have funeral insurance which pays an agreed amount once the insurance company receives official notification. The premium you pay depends on the amount insured which you decide.

A benefit of this insurance is that it is not tied to a funeral services provider. It gives freedom to family members to use the money toward any type of funeral, with any provider, or indeed, to use in any way they decide ( preferably with regard to their departed family member's wishes).
My mother has chosen a funeral insurance, she is covered for $8000, and she wants to be created .
She also wants me to put her ashes with her departed husband and will tell me where she then wants them spread. God help me 🙏

My Husband and I were advised to take out a Funeral Bond, instead of doing a Pre-Paid-Funeral Plan. This way we were not tied down to a particular Company. If we were to move to another State
or Suburb the Funeral Bond can be used anywhere. Also, the amount we put into our Bonds does get interest each year, and this would cover any price hikes. Als, Centrelink does not include Funeral Bonds in the asset test, but they do include a Pre-Paid-Funeral Plan in the asset test.
Our Funeral Bonds are with Australian Unity, but we do not need to have our Health Insurance with them. It is completely independent. Our Financial Adviser told us that this was a better option.