I actually forget. Not much apparently.

It was with Metropolitan Funeral Fund at Hurstville, which no longer exists.... for good reason.
Yep, my mother took that worthless piece of cardboard out in the 50's and one for each child as we arrived. What it covered was didley squat. I was stuck doing her funeral and then my brother's funeral, as for my so called prepaid fund I gave them no more of my hard earned cash.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
I’d never heard of cardboard caskets/coffin before. My mum died last July.
There are actually cardboard ones at a cost of only $200 abd are allowed in Australia for both cremation and burial.
I have been told that the cemeteries actually take the body out of the expensive coffin and place it in one of these. This was told to me by someone who knew someone who works in a crematorium
Screenshot_20240221_163636_Gallery.jpg

I have told my husband that I do not want a funeral, just turn me into a crispy critter and I wont even care where the ashes go. You can use a shroud, dont bother wasting money on wood or plastic. And with all the money saved have a big party 🎉, life is meant to be celebrated, forget the mourning part. And if he doesn't abide by my wishes, I will haunt him. 👻

I have told my husband that I do not want a funeral, just turn me into a crispy critter and I wont even care where the ashes go. You can use a shroud, dont bother wasting money on wood or plastic. And with all the money saved have a big party 🎉, life is meant to be celebrated, forget the mourning part. And if he doesn't abide by my wishes, I will haunt him. 👻
I totally agree 👍

Reactions: DLHM
There are actually cardboard ones at a cost of only $200 abd are allowed in Australia for both cremation and burial.
I have been told that the cemeteries actually take the body out of the expensive coffin and place it in one of these. This was told to me by someone who knew someone who works in a crematorium
View attachment 41600
That makes sense. Hardly any point in forking out for an expensive coffin for a cremation. I think the cardboard one is the one my mum had. I didn’t get there (Canada), until a few days after she died. I tried to get there, but too late. It’s a long flight. 🙁

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Take care out and about I just tested positive to covid. I know I got it from a baby shower I went to on Sunday. I found out some was there knowing they had it.

Screenshot_20240221_175302_Gallery.jpg

• Angry
Take care out and about I just tested positive to covid. I know I got it from a baby shower I went to on Sunday. I found out some was there knowing they had it.

View attachment 41605
That really p*sses me off when people knowingly expose their diseases to the unsuspecting public. I hope your covid will prove to be a very mild case and your family members escape it, @Suzanne rose.

I would want to ask…… what did the prepaid for funeral actually pay for?
I was going to ask that as well…..I mean is there a contract or anything that itemises what is actually being paid for? If there’s not then there should be….Funerals are very difficult for the nearest and dearest, and having to deal with unexpected expenses is very stressful…..after reading about this, I would want to have something in writing that states exactly what is being paid for so that I’d be ready for any extra expenses…..

That really p*sses me off when people knowingly expose their diseases to the unsuspecting public. I hope your covid will prove to be a very mild case and your family members escape it, @Suzanne rose.
I've been feeling pretty crap all day but feeling worst.

What is really making me angry is we babysat 3 granddaughter's on Monday, and I had to go with another daughter yesterday while she had an ultrasound, she came back to mine in pain from it abd she slept in my bed while we watched her two girls. Then my other daughter came with her 3 , that's 8 of my grandkids I may have infected.

Also my daughter who is a nurse was at the baby shower as was my youngest with lung problems.

My daughter knew I was not feeling well and got me a covid test, it showed straight away a positive

• Sad
I was going to ask that as well…..I mean is there a contract or anything that itemises what is actually being paid for? If there’s not then there should be….Funerals are very difficult for the nearest and dearest, and having to deal with unexpected expenses is very stressful…..after reading about this, I would want to have something in writing that states exactly what is being paid for so that I’d be ready for any extra expenses…..
He thought he had it all in writing. Click on the invoice I added . They just left things off that my uncle never knew was charged separately like opening and closing the grave $3000 and the extra cost for moving him after hours

I've been feeling pretty crap all day but feeling worst.

What is really making me angry is we babysat 3 granddaughter's on Monday, and I had to go with another daughter yesterday while she had an ultrasound, she came back to mine in pain from it abd she slept in my bed while we watched her two girls. Then my other daughter came with her 3 , that's 8 of my grandkuds I may have infected.

Also my daughter who is a nurse was at the baby shower as was my youngest with lung problems.
Healing, good thoughts and wishes to you and your family. 🤞🏻

I’d never heard of cardboard caskets/coffin before. My mum died last July.
A bit of research,
Cheap coffins, cardboard, wicker or bamboo $170 to $480
Mid-range, metal wood or plastic, $350 to $2,500
Expensive, bronze copper or mahogany, $3,500 to $30,000
Themed (personalized painting pictures etc.) quoted at time of purchase.

A bit of research,
I went to my daughters a couple of weeks ago . She lives in Bankstown very close to the shops . We had to look for street parking and on the way to hers walked past a funeral home. In their window was a coffin standing up and it was a Canterbury bulldogs nrl coffin .

It's a very big business

Last edited:
  • Wow
A bit of research,
That’s good to know @Clancieblue. Thank you for passing on your research info! I’m sure there’ll be others who appreciate your info too.

Which is why I posted this, to make sure everything is clear

Reactions: Miss Chris
Well it’s certainly been a bit of an eye opener for me going forward. I’m better educated on what questions to ask, thanks for that Suzanne Rose…….I hope you’re feeling better with the Covid….For some reason it’s completely missed me…(I should go and touch wood now shouldn’t I)….