Is your phone spying on you? New leak reveals unsettling truth!

In an age where technology is as ubiquitous as the air we breathe, it's no surprise that privacy concerns are at an all-time high.

The convenience of smartphones and smart devices comes with a price, and for many, that price is the nagging suspicion that our gadgets may be eavesdropping on our most private moments.

The latest tech bombshell comes from a leak suggesting our phones might be listening to us.

A leaked slideshow from Cox Media Group (CMG) has revealed that their 'Active-Listening' software, which uses AI to collect and analyse 'real-time intent data', could be listening to our conversations through the microphones in our phones, laptops, or home assistants.

1725325648482.png
Leaked Cox Media slideshow revealed that 'Active-Listening' software collects real-time data from phone, laptop, and home assistant microphones. Credit: Shutterstock

The pitch deck from CMG claims that advertisers can combine this voice data with behavioural data to target consumers in the market for specific products or services.

If you've been chatting about the latest car models or searching for a new blender, you might suddenly be inundated with ads for those exact items.

The leak, brought to light by reporters at 404 Media, showcases the capabilities of Active-Listening software to prospective customers.

It details a six-step process that CMG's software allegedly uses to collect voice data from any microphone-equipped device.

This data is then used to create targeted digital ads, a practice that raises serious questions about consumer privacy and consent.

Since the story broke, Google has distanced itself from CMG by removing the media group from their 'Partners Program' website.

Meta, Facebook's parent company, is reviewing CMG for any terms of service violations, and Amazon has stated that it has never worked with CMG on this program and has no plans to do so.

However, Amazon's relationship with CMG remains unclear, as they've indicated they would take action if their marketing partners violated their rules.

For years, smartphone users have shared whispers and anecdotes about how their devices were listening to their conversations.

Tech giants have consistently denied these claims, with Meta's online privacy centre stating, 'We understand that sometimes ads can be so specific that it seems like we must be listening to your conversations through your microphone, but we're not.'

It's concerning that our casual discussions about weekend plans or health concerns could be fodder for data collection and ad targeting.

In a since-deleted blog post, CMG claimed that Active Listening is perfectly legal.

They argue that when consumers download or update an app and agree to the terms of use,

Active Listening is often included in the fine print.

This could be how companies navigate wiretapping laws in certain states prohibiting recording without knowledge.

CMG still needs to respond to requests for comment, leaving many questions unanswered.

Key Takeaways
  • A leaked slideshow from Cox Media Group suggests that 'Active-Listening' software is being used to listen to conversations through phone, laptop, or home assistant microphones for real-time data collection.
  • Advertisers may use these insights to target ads at consumers actively considering buying a product or service by pairing voice data with behavioural data.
  • Tech giants Google, Amazon, and Facebook were named clients of CMG, but they have either denied the claims, severed ties or are reviewing their relationship with CMG.
  • CMG defends the legality of 'Active-Listening', claiming it is included in the fine print of terms of use agreements. However, the company has not responded to inquiries regarding the leaked information.
Have you ever felt like your phone was listening to you? Have you noticed targeted ads that seemed too coincidental? Join the conversation below.

Reactions: SandyM
Sponsored
During a visit from my step-daughter, she was telling me about an interactive, story-telling toy called a Tonie Box. I had never heard of it. Later that day, I went onto Facebook and an advert for the Tonie Box was the very first thing that appeared on my newsfeed! Coincidence? I think not!
Another time, a couple of years ago, my husband and my father were talking about a specific, hand built, multi-engine motorbike. Later, at our home, my husband went onto YouTube and a "suggestion" for him to watch came up immediately - a video of that specific motorbike! Another coincidence? (Yes, our phones were in the same room as us on both occasions.)