Is your landlord planning to sell? Know your rights now!

Are you a renter? Do you feel stuck in a rental agreement that doesn't align with your landlord's plans for the property? If so, you're not alone.

Rental agreements are a common issue for many Aussies, and they can be tricky to navigate if you're not aware of your rights.

One particular challenge arises when a landlord decides to sell the property you're renting.

Suddenly, you find yourself in a precarious situation, unsure of role and rights.

A recent Reddit post highlights this issue for one renter who feels victimised by their landlord.

In their post, they speak of being sent a notice of intent to sell the property and that they’re expected to have the property ready for photographs immediately. The real estate agent even asked them to clean the house.

pexels-photo-4246243.jpeg

A Victorian tenant took to social media to ask for advice on whether they should follow their landlord’s requests as they sell the property. Credit: Pexels/Ketut Subiyanto.

It may seem like the landlord has all the power in such a situation, but the good news is this is not the case.

Thanks to the helpful contributions from other Reddit users, the original poster, who resides in Victoria, was able to gather a wealth of valuable information.

According to the commenters, one of the things that tenants in Victoria should be aware of is that if a landlord and/or real estate agent wishes to enter the property for sales purposes, such as for a photographer or landscaper to fix and take snaps of the place, they are legally obliged to give you at least one week’s notice, this does not include the day that the notice was received.

The notice to enter or inspection notice must also be delivered via registered mail or in person unless you have prior written consent to electronic communications.

If the landlord or agent still enters the property without proper notice, they are in breach of duty and can be fined 60 penalty units (around $11k as of this financial year) and forced to compensate you for any losses. The renter is also not responsible for cleaning the property beyond what is ordinarily expected, as outlined in the lease agreement.

So, what else can you do in a situation like this?

Firstly, contact the Tenants Union of Victoria as soon as possible - they can support you in an emotionally daunting time.

Other outlets for advice include Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) which has an excellent website that details what a rental provider can (and cannot) do.

For those of you who are living in other states, we’ve also got you covered!

Different states have specific legislation in place to protect tenants' rights when their landlord sells the property. Landlords must provide tenants with notice before showing the property to prospective buyers, and each state has its own rules regarding how much notice is required.
In all states, landlords cannot evict tenants if they have a fixed-term agreement unless they violate the lease terms or both parties agree.

If the agreement is periodic, the notice period for eviction varies from state to state. Tenants' rights in each state are summarised below:

Understanding Your Rights as a Tenant When Your Landlord is Selling the House.jpg
A state-by-state guide on your rights as tenants. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

Key Takeaways
  • Rental agreements can be tricky, especially when a landlord decides to sell the property.
  • Tenants have rights when it comes to entering the property for sales purposes, such as proper notice and limitations on inspections.
  • Each Australian state has specific legislation in place to protect tenants' rights when the landlord sells the property.
  • Tenants should contact their local Tenants Union or Civil and Administrative Tribunal for advice and support in such situations.

Members, ensure you familiarise yourself with tenancy laws in your state, seek help from trusted sources, come prepared for the inspection and don't be afraid to ask questions to ensure you know your rights.

Everyone deserves to be treated with respect, so share this article with your friends, family and other renters so they're clued up on their rights too!

What are your thoughts on the issue? Share them with us in the comments below! Also, for some feel-good news after reading such a stressful report, we recommend checking out this article where we shared how tenants were surprised with gifts from their landlord.

Reactions: Ricci
Sponsored
We have been unlucky enough to be renters in 2 different properties that the landlord suddenly decided to sell, in both instances I refused to allow photographs to be taken of the interior of the house, I stated that the interior furnishings and decor were privately owned and were therefore not being offered for sale, only the actual house was. I allowed photos of the outside to be taken but put my foot down firmly regarding the interior. I received no argument whatsoever from the Agents in either case, I did not know what my legal rights were and quite frankly did not care, I was just very firm with my refusal when each agent asked for a date that a photographer could attend. Both properties were being rented in WA, not sure if this information will be of help to anyone else in the same position.

Not that helpful. If the Landlord decides to sell his/her property, and the Renter receives due notice, they still need to vacate when required. As a Vendor I wouldn’t want photographs used for selling until the Renter had left. As for cleaning - abide by what is in your current lease, no more, no less.

Not that helpful. If the Landlord decides to sell his/her property, and the Renter receives due notice, they still need to vacate when required. As a Vendor I wouldn’t want photographs used for selling until the Renter had left. As for cleaning - abide by what is in your current lease, no more, no less.
Sorry that you thought my reply to the article was not helpful, We vacated when the lease ran out and followed all of our legal obligations. I thought that my stance on not giving permission for photographs to be taken while we were still in residence was an example of standing up for our rights as tenants. Photos of the interior taken before we moved into the property were used by the agent when advertising the property for sale. Each to their own.

It should be common sense we had rental properties the simple thing is we kept a good rapport with our renters and this was all before the laws to look after renters we never just turned up at a property and when we wanted to sell we told our renter to let us know when they can move out ( it was 4 months and we had no problem with that it could be a stressful time for a renter and I appreciate that) I also helped them move and gave them their security deposit before checking the house.

Reactions: Gaena and Ricci
We have been unlucky enough to be renters in 2 different properties that the landlord suddenly decided to sell, in both instances I refused to allow photographs to be taken of the interior of the house, I stated that the interior furnishings and decor were privately owned and were therefore not being offered for sale, only the actual house was. I allowed photos of the outside to be taken but put my foot down firmly regarding the interior. I received no argument whatsoever from the Agents in either case, I did not know what my legal rights were and quite frankly did not care, I was just very firm with my refusal when each agent asked for a date that a photographer could attend. Both properties were being rented in WA, not sure if this information will be of help to anyone else in the same position.
That's just happened to me in W.A. the week after I was given 60 days notice of intention to sell a woman came saying she was from the R/E and was to take photos? Then next two days painters came thru to do quotes for the owner.

• Sad
Reactions: Gaena and Ricci
That's just happened to me in W.A. the week after I was given 60 days notice of intention to sell a woman came saying she was from the R/E and was to take photos? Then next two days painters came thru to do quotes for the owner.
Somebody correct me if I am wrong but surely if a lease is held the property cannot be sold until that lease expires. Notice of intention to sell is acceptable if the lease is due to expire, that way the tenant is made aware that the current lease will not be renewed. If a property can be offered for sale before a lease is expired what is the purpose of a lease in the first place.

Reactions: Defiant540