Is your home a ‘ticking time bomb’? Millions of Aussies are at risk from serious building defects

The dream of owning a home in Australia has always been synonymous with security and comfort.

However, for millions of Australians, this dream is under threat as their homes may be harbouring hidden dangers.

Recent findings from the Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute (AHURI) have set off alarm bells, revealing that a staggering 70 per cent of the estimated 10.9 million homes across the country suffer from major building defects.

The research, led by Associate Professor Lyrian Daniel from the University of South Australia, challenges the long-held belief that Australian homes are built to last.

‘For many years in Australia, we’ve had a fairly laissez-faire approach to regulation in the construction sector when it comes to the quality of our housing,’ Dr Daniel said.

shutterstock_2425132919.jpg
Millions of Aussies are at risk of major building defects, according to research. Credit: Shutterstock

‘The notion that the free market will demand a certain level of quality—it will lead to high standards—simply doesn’t ring true. We need national leadership in this area—a strategy that ensures housing stock, whether it’s new, existing, owned or private rental, is of a good standard.’

Building inspector Zeher Khalil, founder of Site Inspection, echoed these concerns.

In his line of work, inspecting new and recently constructed homes, he finds at least one serious defect in every dwelling he examines.

‘We don’t categorise issues as minor or major—we look at whether the minimum Australian standards have been met,’ Khalil explained.

‘That’s all we’re expecting—not that a (tradesperson) has gone above and beyond, but that they’ve done the bare minimum required of them. And I’m telling you, not many have. I see non-compliant defects 100 per cent of the time.’

‘I’m talking about really serious issues that require the roof to be stripped out or an entire bathroom to be demolished,’ he added.

‘Given around 150,000 to 170,000 new homes are built each year, that’s a lot of “ticking time bombs” that will go off sooner rather than later.’

Khalil shares videos on social media of his encounters with defects in every home he checks.

Authorities in states like Victoria and New South Wales have begun to take action by naming and shaming serious offenders and issuing work rectification orders.

However, the problem is widespread and not confined to any one area or type of dwelling. From stand-alone houses to dense apartment complexes, from small operators to major builders, Khalil said defects are a common end-of-construction issue.

The situation is so dire that even luxury homes selling for millions are not immune to these defects.

‘Last week, I was in Sydney, and I inspected a home that was selling for $2.5 million,’ Khalil said.

‘Essentially, the whole thing was noncompliance. Roofing, waterproofing, water going into the kitchen, guttering, leaks…you name it.’

‘That’s a minimum of $100,000 to correct. Someone will have to allow for that. It’s a huge problem. And when you’re building a new home, what are you meant to do—expect you’ll have to pay more on top to fix problems or take the builder to court? It’s crazy.’

photo_20240911_095030_0000.png
Building inspector Zeher Khalil said he finds defects in every new home he checks. Credit: @siteinspections / TikTok

The mental health and wellbeing of those living with these issues cannot be overlooked.

‘There are implications for people’s mental health and wellbeing while living with these issues, so depression and anxiety and so on,’ Dr Daniel said.

‘There are a whole range of health issues that arise from mould, whether it’s respiratory disease or the exacerbation of asthma.’

‘But I think it’s really worth remembering that it’s not just new builds, but existing homes as well.’

Furthermore, AHURI research has found that, according to international standards set by the World Health Organisation, four out of five Australian homes are too cold during winter, which can exacerbate health issues like cardiovascular and respiratory diseases.

A study by the Australian Apartment Advocacy found that 60 per cent of new apartment units have serious problems, like unsafe balconies, cracked foundations, and ongoing water leaks.

‘In my view, the problem is so bad and so common because people have gotten away with it for so long,’ Khalil said.

When tradespeople are held responsible, they often face only minor consequences. Builders who are taken to court by frustrated owners often just close their business and claim they’re broke.

Khalil said stronger regulators are needed with real power, along with serious penalties and long-term consequences for those who make mistakes.

Dr Daniel agreed but added that real change would need national coordination, political bravery, and the ability to resist pressure from lobbyists.
Key Takeaways
  • Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute research reveals 70 per cent of Australia's estimated 10.9 million homes have serious building defects.
  • Building defects range from minor issues to serious structural faults and foundation cracking, posing significant risks to residents.
  • Building inspector Zeher Khalil frequently finds non-compliant defects in newly constructed homes, suggesting a widespread problem in the building industry.
  • Authorities have started naming and shaming serious offenders, but experts call for national coordination and stronger consequences for non-compliance to address the issue effectively.
We invite you to share your experiences and thoughts on this pressing issue. Have you encountered building defects in your home? How have you dealt with them? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
After reading this article on building defects and shoddy trades. The question arises should Building Surveyors take more responsibility? I’m not condoning bad trades (I can’t stand poor workmanship) however Building Surveyors are meant to sign off at different stages of a build, therefore if there’s problems they can and should be rectified before the next stage commences. Far easier and cheaper to rectify at these stages.
There seems a disconnect in the system that’s allowing these faults to get overlooked.

My older parents built a new home in Victoria around 7 years ago. The heating cooling ducts were not correctly fitted so the air was blowing in the roof. They have had to have their shower regrouted also my husband painted the whole inside of the house before they moved in because the painting was sprayed and not up to standard. My husband has had to repair cornicing which had come away. Also my step father had to get a plumber in to fix an outdoor drain.
Very sad to say they are absolutely devastated by these problems. They are in their 80s and paid a lot of money to build their home.
Kind regards to all Vicki

• Sad
Reactions: Cheezil
Slack checking of builders but when I was an owner builder of our house in 1995 we were harassed all the time by council inspectors the house next door to ours was built by a builder and I only saw inspector there once and they had a lot of problems with their house we had non with our which was a 5 bedroom 42 square home double brick downstairs and clad upstairs I did all the woodworking and put the windows in and did all the bathrooms and all the tiling and my wife did all the painting she was a great help even with our first home in 1983 she always helped even when we extended our first home

Reactions: Jennie and BellaB18
So my home may not be the Taj Mahal but it keeps me warm & dry for now! And it's paid for & saves me renting somewhere in worse condition than mine coz that's all I'd be able to afford if anything at all

Reactions: Jennie and BellaB18
My older parents built a new home in Victoria around 7 years ago. The heating cooling ducts were not correctly fitted so the air was blowing in the roof. They have had to have their shower regrouted also my husband painted the whole inside of the house before they moved in because the painting was sprayed and not up to standard. My husband has had to repair cornicing which had come away. Also my step father had to get a plumber in to fix an outdoor drain.
Very sad to say they are absolutely devastated by these problems. They are in their 80s and paid a lot of money to build their home.
Kind regards to all Vicki
So sad to hear that Vicki,we downsized to a new town house,small block of three and we picked tiles colours etc we liked.The shower leaked from day dot.The builder wouldn't answer our calls The strata contacted him on our behalf...his answer just call "megaseal" and pay the bill then pass on to me.So this is what happened.24years later,countless calls to magaseal as still.leaking,they claim,"we just cover the leak,we do not fix the supposed reason it's leaking "Great,our shower recess has more silicon,inside and out,grout by the kilos,to the point I would not be able to sell a beautiful well cared for place without us having to probably knock the whole thing down and rebuild the whole shower,floor and probably the wall tiles too as they are around the bath too probably of a cost of at least 30k!!! Geez I wish I had reported them to the department of
Building and construction,but who knew then that it wasn't the proper fix and was obviously not waterproofed properly from the start.😩

So sad to hear that Vicki,we downsized to a new town house,small block of three and we picked tiles colours etc we liked.The shower leaked from day dot.The builder wouldn't answer our calls The strata contacted him on our behalf...his answer just call "megaseal" and pay the bill then pass on to me.So this is what happened.24years later,countless calls to magaseal as still.leaking,they claim,"we just cover the leak,we do not fix the supposed reason it's leaking "Great,our shower recess has more silicon,inside and out,grout by the kilos,to the point I would not be able to sell a beautiful well cared for place without us having to probably knock the whole thing down and rebuild the whole shower,floor and probably the wall tiles too as they are around the bath too probably of a cost of at least 30k!!! Geez I wish I had reported them to the department of
Building and construction,but who knew then that it wasn't the proper fix and was obviously not waterproofed properly from the start.😩
Oh darling, l am so very sorry this has been your experience.
My little 1957 weather board house is still standing strong.
We have updated bits. At present we need to replace some weather boards but we have never had any big problems. Oh we did restump rewire and had to replace the sewage pit, but nothing else. I think the things we have had to fix over the past 42 years is just wear and tear. I don't think l would ever be tempted to build a house.
I am so sorry for you as l am for my parents it's really heartbreaking.
Take care darling.
Kind regards Vicki