Is your GP still bulk billing? Shocking report reveals a sudden drop in rates last year

Everything is getting more expensive each day, but out of all the things Aussies have to pay for, healthcare is and always will remain one of the most crucial.

The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) annually surveys the healthcare industry through its ‘Health of the Nation’ report.

However, the latest findings show a worrisome decline: the number of General Practitioners (GPs) offering bulk billing to all patients has halved in the past year.

The annual survey involving 2,048 GPs, revealed that only 12 per cent of GPs billed all patients in 2023, compared to 24 per cent in 2022.

Additionally, 30 per cent reported fully bulk billing the majority of their patients, down from 40 per cent in the previous year.

This decline is highlighted by growing healthcare costs, contributing to concerns about patient access and job satisfaction among GPs.

Patients who receive bulk billing incur no charges for their consultations, as GPs submit their bills directly to the government via Medicare.

doctor-563429_1280.jpg
A decrease in the number of GPs fully bulk billing all patients is attributed to the rising costs of healthcare services. Image source: Pixabay

Those who are paying for a GP visit have experienced an average fee increase of $10 in the past year.

In 2023, GPs charging a private fee reported an average cost of $74.66 for a standard consultation lasting less than 20 minutes, compared to $64 in 2022. Patients receive a $39.75 rebate from Medicare.

The report noted that the significant decline in bulk billing aligns with ‘anecdotal reports from GPs about the increasing cost of providing healthcare services in general practice and further compounds patient access issues’.

The decrease in bulk billing rates was also observed more in urban areas than in remote parts of Australia.

Bulk billing practices among GPs differ.

Those in corporate or non-corporate group practices are less likely to do so, while GPs in Aboriginal medical services, community-controlled health organisations, and aged care facilities are more inclined to bulk bill.

Meanwhile, the report found a decline in overall GP job satisfaction, dropping from 70 per cent in 2022 to 66 per cent in 2023. Simultaneously, there's a rise in GPs expressing 'very dissatisfied' sentiments, increasing from 4 per cent to 6 per cent.

Job satisfaction also varies based on the employment setting.

GPs in Aboriginal medical services or community-controlled health organisations reported higher satisfaction, while those in solo practices expressed the least satisfaction.

Notably, GPs practising in regional or rural areas exhibited increased job satisfaction.

Regarding work hours, 60 per cent of GPs reported working fewer than 40 hours a week in 2023, consistent with 2022. However, 5 per cent of GPs reported working over 60 hours a week, primarily those in solo practice.

Less than half of practising GPs would recommend their profession to junior colleagues, indicative of a decline in medical students choosing general practice as their preferred specialty.

Additionally, 29 per cent of GPs express intentions to retire within the next three years.

RACGP President Dr Nicole Higgins underscored the persistent challenge of sourcing and retaining GPs, identified as the primary concern for most practice owners.

‘Our report is further evidence that we are facing a looming shortfall of GPs, and we need to do much more to attract and retain this essential workforce, for the health of Australians now and into the future,’ explained the president.

Dr Higgins urged offering GPs incentives during their first six months of community practice, along with study and parental leave.

‘It’s unfathomable that in today’s age GPs in training don’t get paid parental leave, and more so when you consider that more women are becoming GPs each year than men,’ said Dr Higgins.

‘Addressing these three key barriers would make an immediate difference in getting more GPs training and working in the communities that need them,’ she continued.

Video source: YouTube/Sky News Australia

Earlier, the federal government's updated bulk billing scheme triples incentive payments for GPs who bulk bill eligible patients, such as children, pensioners, and concession card holders.

Rebates for city-based practices will rise to $20.65 from $6.85 for a standard consultation. Meanwhile, an anticipated increase to $39.70 from $13.15 is expected for remote-based practices.

For more details, read here.
Key Takeaways

• The proportion of GPs bulk billing all their patients has halved over one year, according to a report by the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners.
  • The report also found a downward trend in GP job satisfaction, with overall satisfaction decreasing from 70 per cent in 2022 to 66 per cent in 2023.
  • Less than half of practising GPs would recommend their profession to junior colleagues, and 29 per cent intend to retire within the next three years.
  • RACGP President Dr Nicole Higgins called for introducing incentive payments, study leave and paid parental leave for GPs in training to attract and retain more in the profession.
Members, any thoughts on a sudden drop in bulk billing rates? Share your views in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
My Dr was bulk billing me after I stopped getting anything from the Workers Compensation People who were also paying him when I had to visit. When they brought this new bulk billing system in I now have to pay for my visits. It sounds backwards to me.

Reactions: Rob44 and Leanne D
The system is broken - whilst we always expect 100% from our medical staff, remember they are like all of us and most are struggling with the increases in day-to-day cost of living. Rents are spiralling, as are wages for staffing. Not to mention all the 'incidentals' they require for their daily services.
It isn't fair to people - true, but is it fair to drs to be out of pocket too?

From my understanding GP's who bulk bill receive $20 per visit of patients. I think if we had true leadership Policiticans would forego their last pay rise and give more to the GPs. I doubt if they would work for $20 per half hour, and with all the overhead expenses they have as well. Disgusted with our politicians.

From my understanding GP's who bulk bill receive $20 per visit of patients. I think if we had true leadership Policiticans would forego their last pay rise and give more to the GPs. I doubt if they would work for $20 per half hour, and with all the overhead expenses they have as well. Disgusted with our politicians.
So true ElizaKaye

Everything is getting more expensive each day, but out of all the things Aussies have to pay for, healthcare is and always will remain one of the most crucial.

The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) annually surveys the healthcare industry through its ‘Health of the Nation’ report.

However, the latest findings show a worrisome decline: the number of General Practitioners (GPs) offering bulk billing to all patients has halved in the past year.

The annual survey involving 2,048 GPs, revealed that only 12 per cent of GPs billed all patients in 2023, compared to 24 per cent in 2022.

Additionally, 30 per cent reported fully bulk billing the majority of their patients, down from 40 per cent in the previous year.

This decline is highlighted by growing healthcare costs, contributing to concerns about patient access and job satisfaction among GPs.

Patients who receive bulk billing incur no charges for their consultations, as GPs submit their bills directly to the government via Medicare.

View attachment 34806
A decrease in the number of GPs fully bulk billing all patients is attributed to the rising costs of healthcare services. Image source: Pixabay

Those who are paying for a GP visit have experienced an average fee increase of $10 in the past year.

In 2023, GPs charging a private fee reported an average cost of $74.66 for a standard consultation lasting less than 20 minutes, compared to $64 in 2022. Patients receive a $39.75 rebate from Medicare.

The report noted that the significant decline in bulk billing aligns with ‘anecdotal reports from GPs about the increasing cost of providing healthcare services in general practice and further compounds patient access issues’.

The decrease in bulk billing rates was also observed more in urban areas than in remote parts of Australia.

Bulk billing practices among GPs differ.

Those in corporate or non-corporate group practices are less likely to do so, while GPs in Aboriginal medical services, community-controlled health organisations, and aged care facilities are more inclined to bulk bill.

Meanwhile, the report found a decline in overall GP job satisfaction, dropping from 70 per cent in 2022 to 66 per cent in 2023. Simultaneously, there's a rise in GPs expressing 'very dissatisfied' sentiments, increasing from 4 per cent to 6 per cent.

Job satisfaction also varies based on the employment setting.

GPs in Aboriginal medical services or community-controlled health organisations reported higher satisfaction, while those in solo practices expressed the least satisfaction.

Notably, GPs practising in regional or rural areas exhibited increased job satisfaction.

Regarding work hours, 60 per cent of GPs reported working fewer than 40 hours a week in 2023, consistent with 2022. However, 5 per cent of GPs reported working over 60 hours a week, primarily those in solo practice.

Less than half of practising GPs would recommend their profession to junior colleagues, indicative of a decline in medical students choosing general practice as their preferred specialty.

Additionally, 29 per cent of GPs express intentions to retire within the next three years.

RACGP President Dr Nicole Higgins underscored the persistent challenge of sourcing and retaining GPs, identified as the primary concern for most practice owners.

‘Our report is further evidence that we are facing a looming shortfall of GPs, and we need to do much more to attract and retain this essential workforce, for the health of Australians now and into the future,’ explained the president.

Dr Higgins urged offering GPs incentives during their first six months of community practice, along with study and parental leave.

‘It’s unfathomable that in today’s age GPs in training don’t get paid parental leave, and more so when you consider that more women are becoming GPs each year than men,’ said Dr Higgins.

‘Addressing these three key barriers would make an immediate difference in getting more GPs training and working in the communities that need them,’ she continued.

Video source: YouTube/Sky News Australia

Earlier, the federal government's updated bulk billing scheme triples incentive payments for GPs who bulk bill eligible patients, such as children, pensioners, and concession card holders.

Rebates for city-based practices will rise to $20.65 from $6.85 for a standard consultation. Meanwhile, an anticipated increase to $39.70 from $13.15 is expected for remote-based practices.

For more details, read here.
Key Takeaways

• The proportion of GPs bulk billing all their patients has halved over one year, according to a report by the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners.
  • The report also found a downward trend in GP job satisfaction, with overall satisfaction decreasing from 70 per cent in 2022 to 66 per cent in 2023.
  • Less than half of practising GPs would recommend their profession to junior colleagues, and 29 per cent intend to retire within the next three years.
  • RACGP President Dr Nicole Higgins called for introducing incentive payments, study leave and paid parental leave for GPs in training to attract and retain more in the profession.
Members, any thoughts on a sudden drop in bulk billing rates? Share your views in the comments below!

Simple answer; more university medical student places with the skill/intelligence requirements for university entry being set at the same level as for those school students who qualify for entering university to do maths, physics and other science degrees. Much of medicine is rote learning, though I grant you that the names of some medicines take a bit of care to remember.

And as a generality, enable tuition fees to be paid by government as well as a cost-of-living grant for our university students. Our university education system is very creaky, relying as it does on international students to front up to provide about 24% of our universities' income.That needs a revision, if ever Australia is to become the "clever country". Most international students go for accounting/business management/ economics and if they don't get PR, t take their degrees back home, not that those degrees are particularly useful to a country that needs science and scientists

As for GPS; the last 15-minute consultation I had with a GP was deemed as a long consultation and cost me $140.

My elderly father had to go to the emergency department, it took over 6 hours for him to see a Doctor, before he was admitted. Apparently the emergency department was filled with people who should have seen their Doctor, but often due to the lack of bilk billing , did not have the financial means to see their Doctor. This is putting people who go to emergency for life threatening situations , more at risk. It was on the news lately that a patient died of cardiac arrest after waiting 6 hours In an ambulance . Just another way at looking at it, but I have no answers.

The government increased the Medicare paymen for doctors but a lot aren’t passing it onto their patients that they previously bulk billed. I get bulk billed but my three daughters,two who are on disability pensions and one is on the Carers Pension,have to pay. I know a lot of people who aren’t seeing their doctor because they don’t have the money upfront to pay their bill. We got a new doctor in our practice earlier this year and he bulk billed my daughter,he got into trouble for doing that. I don’t go to the doctor unless I really need to.

Reactions: Caron
I went to my GP the other day and was told that from now on I would be bulk billed again, she said that she was doing that only because I'm a Senior and on a disability pension. This is the same as I had years ago before their clinic stopped bulk billing.

Reactions: Caron
Where do you find a drs surgery that only sees 1 patient per half hour. The surgery I attend has 4/5 doctors working most days, and has at least 10 patients booked in every hour, per dr. Unless someone asks for a long consult. That means they are each making $200 per hour if they bulk bill everyone, since they only bulk bill pensioners and people with low income health care cards they each make much more per hour. Then they have 2/3 nurses doing dressings, vaccinations etc. a lot of their patients are not bulk billed and pay a fee. That equates to quite a lot of money made by the practice per day. I’m sure most GP practices are like this. Besides I’m sure I heard the government spruiking about fixing this issue so people can afford to go to the drs.

So true ElizaKaye
GP consultations are timed as of 10 minutes, not half an hour. I understand on good medical advice that half the GP's fee would commonly go to the practice to cover practice costs, so that leaves $45 to the GP for a standard $90 visit. Assume 10 minutes per consultation plus five minutes between consultations, that is 4x$45=$180 per hour or $1440 for an 8-hour day. Commonly, locum doctors serving our rural hospitals get paid $1500+ per day, plus travel, meals and accommodation for what may entail a 12-hour day.

$1440 a day, 5 days a week=$7200. Assume an ordinary working year of 48 weeks and 4 weeks leave, that comes to $345 000pa. So that is perhaps the top dollar potential of a GP's income excluding other potential issues in regard to organising tests etc. Then think that HECS debts have to cover medical school fees of as much as $375 000 as at Melbourne University presently and a medical degree, as with any science degree, includes 4-8 years minimum of no income earned whatsoever. I don't know what the current repayment rate is for HECS debts, but the interest on the HECS debt is around 7-8% these days.

Someone with more precise knowledge than I may care to comment about my costings. However, the system we work under makes obtaining university-level training a seriously expensive proposition and we certainly need a more effective health system. The British NHS once was excellent and was not the shambles it has been driven to now by the last 45 years of "user-pays" Tory claptrap.

If GP's treat Workers Compensation people they charge them $170 a visit even if the consultation only lasts 10 to 15 mins. Now he charges $150 for half a hour.