Is your favourite food secretly increasing your risk of Alzheimer’s? Find out now!

As we gather around the table to enjoy some of our most cherished dishes, a recent study has raised concerns that could leave a bitter taste in our mouths.

Researchers at Queensland's Bond University have uncovered a startling connection between Alzheimer's disease and some of Australia's most popular foods.

The study, which scrutinised the diets of 438 Australians, including 108 individuals diagnosed with Alzheimer's and 330 in a control group, revealed that those with Alzheimer's were more inclined to regularly consume foods like meat pies, sausages, ham, pizza, and burgers. At the same time, their intake of fruits and vegetables was notably less.

Tahera Ahmed, the study's lead author, spoke to a news source about the implications of these findings.

top-view-food-frame-with-purple-background_23-2148308895.jpg
Unhealthy foods and a sedentary lifestyle without exercise can lead to cognitive impairment later in life. Image: Freepik

‘Alzheimer’s development in the brain begins in middle age and its effects can be attributed to an uncontrolled lifestyle from a younger age,’ she explained.

‘Raising awareness among the youth about the benefits of consuming leafy greens, organic foods, or home-cooked meals is essential, as opposed to regularly indulging in junk or processed foods.’

‘Such dietary habits impact brain health and contribute to vascular issues and obesity, highlighting the interconnectedness of these health concerns.’

The Bond University study isn't alone in its findings.

Other research has shown that diets laden with ultra-processed foods can lead to cognitive impairment later in life, exacerbating cognitive decline and increasing the risk of developing dementia.

On the flip side, diets that resemble the Mediterranean diet, abundant in nuts, olive oil, and fruit, have been associated with a reduced risk of cognitive decline.

But it's not just about what we eat. Lifestyle choices, including physical activity, are crucial in maintaining brain health.

Dr Helena Popovic, a brain science and body weight management expert, highlighted the significance of exercise in protecting the brain.

'Exercise is the number one thing to do to protect your brain. Just 4400 steps a day starts to provide benefits if you’re over the age of 65. Aim for a walking speed of 360 metres in under six minutes or one kilometre in 16 minutes.’

While it's okay to indulge in a meat pie or sausage roll occasionally, it's crucial to balance our meals with plenty of fruits, vegetables, and other nutrient-rich foods.

Moreover, incorporating regular physical activity into our daily routine can be just as important as what's on our plate.

Whether it's a brisk walk in the park, a swim at the local pool, or even gardening, finding ways to stay active can have a profound impact on our cognitive health.

In conclusion, while our favourite dishes may hold a special place in our hearts, it's essential to consider their long-term effects on our health.

By making informed choices about our diet and staying active, we can enjoy our golden years with a sharper mind and a healthier body.

Key Takeaways
  • Researchers from Bond University in Queensland have found a possible link between some traditional Australian foods and Alzheimer’s disease.
  • The study indicated that patients with Alzheimer’s were more likely to consume foods such as meat pies, sausages, ham, pizza, and burgers, and they ate fewer fruits and vegetables.
  • The research suggests that diets high in ultra-processed foods can contribute to cognitive decline and increase the risk of dementia.
  • The findings also highlight the potential benefits of a Mediterranean diet and regular exercise in protecting against cognitive decline and improving brain health.

What do you think of this story? Do you regularly eat healthy foods and exercise as well? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Interesting we make our own pizza in a pizza oven. We never buy Macca's or burgers from any chain. With most of us living on increases in food prices, rent/mortgage increase and price of fuel, and wages and pensions not keeping up with the increases, I'm sure many of us are looking for ways to cut down. We eat mostly chicken dishes, salmon patties, and some casseroles, and cook in the Airfryer oven, or Slow Cooker. But we are guilty of eating less fruit, as it's also become expensive with all the crop losses due to extreme weather. We have a home veggie garden, but lose a lot of our vegetables due to the weather. Especially here in Qld. Guilty of buying frozen vegetables to save money and also time.

Exercise like walking is almost non existent for me due to an accident 14 yrs ago, where my leg is mostly metal from femur to tibia. But I do keep a daily walking tracker on my phone, but don't carry it around all day. Guess more ways of cutting snack foods and replace with a piece of fruit, even if it's eating more apples and bananas.

Interesting we make our own pizza in a pizza oven. We never buy Macca's or burgers from any chain. With most of us living on increases in food prices, rent/mortgage increase and price of fuel, and wages and pensions not keeping up with the increases, I'm sure many of us are looking for ways to cut down. We eat mostly chicken dishes, salmon patties, and some casseroles, and cook in the Airfryer oven, or Slow Cooker. But we are guilty of eating less fruit, as it's also become expensive with all the crop losses due to extreme weather. We have a home veggie garden, but lose a lot of our vegetables due to the weather. Especially here in Qld. Guilty of buying frozen vegetables to save money and also time.

Exercise like walking is almost non existent for me due to an accident 14 yrs ago, where my leg is mostly metal from femur to tibia. But I do keep a daily walking tracker on my phone, but don't carry it around all day. Guess more ways of cutting snack foods and replace with a piece of fruit, even if it's eating more apples and bananas.
Think there'll be a lot of people getting dementia in later years....so many young people buying and eating all that junk food !! 🤫🙄

Think there'll be a lot of people getting dementia in later years....so many young people buying and eating all that junk food !! 🤫🙄
And on the other side. Why are so many people getting dementia now. Like people aged 70+. Most of them would have been brought up on a 'home-cooked' diet. I think there's more to it.
And there is a lot thrown around about the Mediterranean diet, but are they amongst the longest lived people? No it's Japan.

I have advanced Parkinson's Disease with other chronic illnesses that make for quite a cocktail and boy alot of days are so damned difficult. Walking 🚶‍♀️ causes some discomfort, just like the previous member from both my hips through to feet is titanium. I do try to walk as I do get very stiff. To help me go walking my comical adult kid's bought me a pet pram to encourage me to leave the house, as if lol. But I gave in, harnessed my kitty 😺 into the pram, zipped it up and off we went in the late afternoon . We enjoy our doddle, have met & made new friends. So I alternate our two kitty 🐈 🐈‍⬛️ cat's. I live with my daughter ❤️ that works from home so she puts an alarm ⏰️ on and if I'm gone longer than 45 minutes she comes looking for me. My 11 yr old autistic grandson loves Friday's as he can come walking with me, our very special time together ❤️ .
Essence of all my hard work typing, you can manage to fit in a little exercise, you don't have to be an Olympic athlete
Do something 🤔 you enjoy and look forward to. I do go swimming 🏊‍♂️ at the council pool but I don't think they'd like the kitties to come hahaha

It's a thought but could the connection be that people likely to be struck with the disease were just more likely to consume this food and it has no relevance, researchers tend to find the answer they seek rather than the truth.

438 people do not make a credible research study. A blind study with a minimum of 10 000 participants over several years would be a realistic study. This tiny study is only doing more harm than good, putting fear into people who eat, meat pies, sausages, ham, pizza, and burgers. without giving any great scientific results. Seems more like a scare campaign used by vegetarians against meat eaters

• Love
Reactions: DLHM and Granny*Deb
Most people are missing a salient point here. 50+ years ago not that many people made it to 70 let alone beyond 70. Hard to draw comparisons between dementia rates then and now when the life expectancy for men was 68 and 72 for women and is now around the 80 mark for both.
Just a bit of food for thought 🤔

Reactions: KaraJenna

We all have our own ways of dealing with our lives. What works for one person may not be ideal for the next. Stick with what works for you. IMHO I think you’re doing brilliantly! The most difficult part is working out what’s best for our own needs and I appears you’ve done well! 👍🏻

438 people do not make a credible research study. A blind study with a minimum of 10 000 participants over several years would be a realistic study. This tiny study is only doing more harm than good, putting fear into people who eat, meat pies, sausages, ham, pizza, and burgers. without giving any great scientific results. Seems more like a scare campaign used by vegetarians against meat eaters
Studies are not accurate. There needs to be peer reviewed, reputable resources to enable accurate assessments. I agree, there are far too many scare campaigns to persuade people to believe unproven “studies”.

Wow now we will get dementia through meat 🍖 products well the cave man ate meat well shit history repeats all this is to scare 😱 people to eat less meat well if we went to eating grass like cow's we will add to the greenhouse gas emissions through farting all the time it's more likely all the additive shit add to products to extend it shelf life is the problem as for Vegans that want chemically made meat looking products won't live long so that will be short lived 🙄