Is Woolworths really fighting waste? You won't believe their latest move involving a PLASTIC sticker!

At the Seniors Discount Club, we like to do our part to promote eco-friendly initiatives and waste reduction campaigns. But when it comes to the issue of plastic waste, it appears one of the leading supermarket chains may not be entirely as committed as they’d like us to believe.

Recently, Woolworths announced a 'revolutionary concept' to encourage customers to buy ripe avocados and thereby reduce food waste.

compressed-woolworths.jpeg
Woolworths has faced criticism for introducing a new line of plastic stickers as an attempt to mitigate food waste. Source: Woolworths Group

The plan involves putting tiny stickers on the ripe fruit with the message 'Eat Now'.

The supermarket argues that the stickers will not only result in fewer fruits going bad and being thrown away but will also reduce the prevalence of ‘avocado squishing’, which can often ruin the fruit in store. Read more about this concept here.

However, there's a rather important detail that Woolies left out during its initial announcement—these tiny stickers are made of plastic and, even worse, are not recyclable!

It begs the question: in their efforts to wage war on food waste, has Woolworths disregarded the environmental impact of their plastic sticker solution?

New Zealand has taken a much more proactive approach to the issue of plastic waste.

Starting from July 1, the country will ban non-compostable stickers on domestically produced fruit, a rule that will extend to imported fruits by 2025.

Other supermarket staples like plastic produce bags, plates, straws, and cutlery will also be given the boot, with a ban on all other polystyrene food and drink packaging due by 2025.

compressed-pexels-photo-2827735.jpeg
The impact of plastic waste on the environment and marine life cannot be understated. The presence of plastic in our ecosystems poses grave threats to wildlife, habitats, and the delicate balance of our planet's ecosystems. Image by Lucien Wanda from Pexels

The impact of plastic waste on the environment and marine life is well-documented, with plastic debris polluting our oceans, entangling and killing marine animals, and even making its way back into our food chain as microplastics. This makes the use of non-recyclable plastic stickers even more concerning.

Jeff Angel, the founder of the anti-plastic, non-profit Total Environment Centre, expressed his concern regarding Woolworths' plastic sticker approach.

He believes that plastic fruit and vegetable stickers are on their way out as many Australian states plan to phase out single-use plastic items.

'I think Woolies should show more foresight. Plastic fruit and veg stickers are often appearing on proposals to ban single-use plastic items.' Angel stated.

He did praise some efforts made by retailers to cut down plastic use, but he has advice for Woolworths: 'It seems like its food waste people aren't talking to its plastic waste people, and they should get together and do something more sustainable.'

Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths has launched a new plan to reduce food waste by placing plastic 'Eat Now' stickers on ripe avocados, which has been criticised by environmentalists.
  • The stickers are made of plastic and are not recyclable, which has led to concerns about their impact on the environment.
  • Australia's plastic laws lag behind countries like New Zealand, which will ban non-compostable fruit stickers by 2025.
  • Jeff Angel, founder of the Total Environment Centre, suggests that Woolworths should focus on more sustainable solutions for reducing food waste and single-use plastic items.

Several eco-friendly alternatives to plastic stickers do exist. Supermarkets could use compostable or biodegradable stickers or implement non-toxic ink stamps or laser etching techniques to ‘print’ things directly onto the fruit.

These options minimise environmental impact while still serving the purpose of identifying ripe fruits for customers and thereby hopefully reducing wastage.

Members, feel free to share your thoughts on this issue—Is it worth paying for using plastic stickers to reduce food waste, or should Woolworths find a more eco-friendly solution? Let us know what you think!

Sponsored
At the Seniors Discount Club, we like to do our part to promote eco-friendly initiatives and waste reduction campaigns. But when it comes to the issue of plastic waste, it appears one of the leading supermarket chains may not be entirely as committed as they’d like us to believe.

Recently, Woolworths announced a 'revolutionary concept' to encourage customers to buy ripe avocados and thereby reduce food waste.

View attachment 23162
Woolworths has faced criticism for introducing a new line of plastic stickers as an attempt to mitigate food waste. Source: Woolworths Group

The plan involves putting tiny stickers on the ripe fruit with the message 'Eat Now'.

The supermarket argues that the stickers will not only result in fewer fruits going bad and being thrown away but will also reduce the prevalence of ‘avocado squishing’, which can often ruin the fruit in store. Read more about this concept here.

However, there's a rather important detail that Woolies left out during its initial announcement—these tiny stickers are made of plastic and, even worse, are not recyclable!

It begs the question: in their efforts to wage war on food waste, has Woolworths disregarded the environmental impact of their plastic sticker solution?

New Zealand has taken a much more proactive approach to the issue of plastic waste.

Starting from July 1, the country will ban non-compostable stickers on domestically produced fruit, a rule that will extend to imported fruits by 2025.

Other supermarket staples like plastic produce bags, plates, straws, and cutlery will also be given the boot, with a ban on all other polystyrene food and drink packaging due by 2025.

View attachment 23163
The impact of plastic waste on the environment and marine life cannot be understated. The presence of plastic in our ecosystems poses grave threats to wildlife, habitats, and the delicate balance of our planet's ecosystems. Image by Lucien Wanda from Pexels

The impact of plastic waste on the environment and marine life is well-documented, with plastic debris polluting our oceans, entangling and killing marine animals, and even making its way back into our food chain as microplastics. This makes the use of non-recyclable plastic stickers even more concerning.

Jeff Angel, the founder of the anti-plastic, non-profit Total Environment Centre, expressed his concern regarding Woolworths' plastic sticker approach.

He believes that plastic fruit and vegetable stickers are on their way out as many Australian states plan to phase out single-use plastic items.

'I think Woolies should show more foresight. Plastic fruit and veg stickers are often appearing on proposals to ban single-use plastic items.' Angel stated.

He did praise some efforts made by retailers to cut down plastic use, but he has advice for Woolworths: 'It seems like its food waste people aren't talking to its plastic waste people, and they should get together and do something more sustainable.'

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has launched a new plan to reduce food waste by placing plastic 'Eat Now' stickers on ripe avocados, which has been criticised by environmentalists.
  • The stickers are made of plastic and are not recyclable, which has led to concerns about their impact on the environment.
  • Australia's plastic laws lag behind countries like New Zealand, which will ban non-compostable fruit stickers by 2025.
  • Jeff Angel, founder of the Total Environment Centre, suggests that Woolworths should focus on more sustainable solutions for reducing food waste and single-use plastic items.

Several eco-friendly alternatives to plastic stickers do exist. Supermarkets could use compostable or biodegradable stickers or implement non-toxic ink stamps or laser etching techniques to ‘print’ things directly onto the fruit.

These options minimise environmental impact while still serving the purpose of identifying ripe fruits for customers and thereby hopefully reducing wastage.

Members, feel free to share your thoughts on this issue—Is it worth paying for using plastic stickers to reduce food waste, or should Woolworths find a more eco-friendly solution? Let us know what you think!
How can you buy your fruit & vegies if there are no bags to put them in? So you just put them all loose in your trolley? Seems ridiculous! I suppose they are wanting US to buy usable bags. More money for the Supermarkets. Same as the paper bags people HAVE to buy!!! They should be included. We ALWAYS take our own bags. Have been doing so for over 30 years.

How can you buy your fruit & vegies if there are no bags to put them in? So you just put them all loose in your trolley? Seems ridiculous! I suppose they are wanting US to buy usable bags. More money for the Supermarkets. Same as the paper bags people HAVE to buy!!! They should be included. We ALWAYS take our own bags. Have been doing so for over 30 years.
Supermarkets will always keep their fruit and vegetable produce bags (roll) available for customers to use. I'm fairly sure this is due to food standard requirements to use as a barrier bag in dirty trolleys. For many years, I have used my own reusable produce bags. I bought lightweight produce bags, so it's doesn't weight too much on their scales.

Reactions: Gsr and Jennylolo
Can you use a sewing machine? Make your own fruit and vegetable bags!

You can purchase sheer curtain fabric remnants from Spotlight (or even use washed sheer curtains you no longer use or from a charity store) and within an hour or so, you can stitch up a dozen fruit and vegetable bags with a drawstring.

After use you can put them into the wash and you have lovely clean bags for the next shopping trip and many thereafter.

The same goes for re-usable shopping bags. Buy cotton fabric remnants from Spotlight or recycle old clothing and stitch up your own shopping bags. There are plenty of free patterns online or you can use an existing shopping bag as a guide on how to make them.

I have a stash of plain and patterned curtain remnants that I plan to turn into shopping bags.

Last edited:
Thanks, but no thanks. I don't want anything "printed" on my fruit/veg. They can just change the price tag to indicate that the fruit in this bay is for immediate use.

Reactions: Gsr and BlackWolf
If the avocados are anything like the fruit they put in home delivery that is always past its use by date then I will still pick my own by feel. I don’t squeeze them, just pick them up and you can tell if they are softish or rock hard.

Woolworths announced months ago that they were getting rid of bags for fruit and veg. So I bought some of their reusable ones. They didn’t get rid of the bags, so I am still carrying them around unused in the pocket of a bag. Should really use them. 🙂

I have a number of net bags that I take for my fruit and veg. Easy.

View attachment 23162

View attachment 23163

Key Takeaways

I think it's a good idea to post the ones that are ripe - as they say, people squeezing the things are a pain in the bum to the rest of us who end up buying bruised avocados. Yes the stickers are plastic, as are all the others all over our fruit, but they are working on new ones that are biodegradable and the avocado ones I'm sure will be the same once they come in. Just calm the farm

Thanks, but no thanks. I don't want anything "printed" on my fruit/veg. They can just change the price tag to indicate that the fruit in this bay is for immediate use.
Most fruit already has a sticker on it! This will just mean either a bigger one or a second.

So does this mean the sticker sticker onerer from the avocados has to increase their workload or are there going to be a whole department of them? And who is going to go through all the fruit on the displays every day and change the stickers the sticker onerer or the assistant sticker onerer?

So does this mean the sticker sticker onerer from the avocados has to increase their workload or are there going to be a whole department of them? And who is going to go through all the fruit on the displays every day and change the stickers the sticker onerer or the assistant sticker onerer?
What is an onerer?