Is Tupperware on the Brink of Extinction? People Share Their Thoughts on the Iconic Kitchen Staple

Tupperware has been a household name since the 1960s, with many of us attending Tupperware parties and investing in their iconic plastic containers. However, recent news articles suggest that the company could soon become history if not bought by another company. In an engaging discussion on the popular UK seniors' forum GransNet, members shared their thoughts on the potential decline of this once-thriving brand, revealing a mix of nostalgia and indifference.

shutterstock_2282811175.jpg
Do you still use Tupperware at home? Image source: Shutterstock.

One user lamented the pressure of buying overpriced items at Tupperware parties, while another confessed to a sense of dread at the obligatory purchases. ‘I always felt obliged to order something,’ said the commenter, highlighting the financial pressure experienced by many attendees. Others shared a sense of surprise that Tupperware was still going, having thought it was already history. Despite this, many expressed fondness for their longstanding Tupperware items, praising their durability and usefulness.

For some users, it seemed as though there was a clear distinction between the value of Tupperware products and the social obligation of attending Tupperware parties. While the latter may have been a burden, the former was often considered worth the investment. One user posed the question, ‘Is something overpriced or is it good value for money, bearing in mind that so many similar items are much poorer quality and end up in the recycling bin?’ Indeed, several participants echoed this sentiment, acknowledging the high price of Tupperware but appreciating the lasting quality of their products.

Another user shared their practical use of Tupperware, storing various baking ingredients and frequently using the jelly mould. However, they admitted to preferring alternative brands for other types of containers. This demonstrates the increasing competition Tupperware has faced from cheaper and more readily available alternatives. One user said, ‘I used to go to Tupperware parties out of loneliness and end up buying things that I couldn't really afford.’ The prevalence of other options may have contributed to Tupperware's waning popularity in recent years.

Nevertheless, some GransNet users shared more positive memories of Tupperware, revealing that their jugs, containers, utensils, and more have lasted for decades. One commenter said their mother enjoyed attending Tupperware parties and wasn't the type to be pressured into purchasing. This suggests that, for some, the social aspect of Tupperware gatherings was valuable and the investment in their quality products worthwhile.

However, not everyone felt sentimental towards the potential decline of Tupperware. One commenter said, ‘There are so many cheaper alternatives now...I couldn't care less that they are in trouble.’ With the market now saturated with more affordable and accessible options, it's no surprise that some feel less attachment to the brand.

Before Tupperware, Australian households relied on less ‘efficient’ methods like glass jars, wax paper, or ceramic containers with cork stoppers. Tupperware's arrival on Aussie shores in the early 1960s signified a shift in both food storage and consumption culture, and it quickly became a household staple.

Its introduction coincided with the growing desire for better food preservation techniques amidst increasing reliance on refrigerators. Australian families embraced Tupperware's practicality and durability in preserving their produce, leftovers, and meals for days or even weeks. The versatility of the containers transformed the way people consumed and stored food, ultimately reducing waste and saving money in the process.

Ultimately, while many users expressed nostalgia and appreciation for the quality and longevity of Tupperware products, the social and financial pressures of their marketing strategy may have left a lasting negative impression on others. As more affordable and convenient alternatives have emerged, it appears that Tupperware's once-iconic status is now being challenged… Not to mention, there is undoubtedly a shift away from plastic and towards more sustainable materials like glass.

Do you have any memories or experiences relating to Tupperware? Maybe you attended your fair share of Tupperware parties? Share your memories and thoughts below with fellow members and continue the conversation!

Sponsored
Tupperware has been a household name since the 1960s, with many of us attending Tupperware parties and investing in their iconic plastic containers. However, recent news articles suggest that the company could soon become history if not bought by another company. In an engaging discussion on the popular UK seniors' forum GransNet, members shared their thoughts on the potential decline of this once-thriving brand, revealing a mix of nostalgia and indifference.

View attachment 17353

One user lamented the pressure of buying overpriced items at Tupperware parties, while another confessed to a sense of dread at the obligatory purchases. ‘I always felt obliged to order something,’ said the commenter, highlighting the financial pressure experienced by many attendees. Others shared a sense of surprise that Tupperware was still going, having thought it was already history. Despite this, many expressed fondness for their longstanding Tupperware items, praising their durability and usefulness.

For some users, it seemed as though there was a clear distinction between the value of Tupperware products and the social obligation of attending Tupperware parties. While the latter may have been a burden, the former was often considered worth the investment. One user posed the question, ‘Is something overpriced or is it good value for money, bearing in mind that so many similar items are much poorer quality and end up in the recycling bin?’ Indeed, several participants echoed this sentiment, acknowledging the high price of Tupperware but appreciating the lasting quality of their products.

Another user shared their practical use of Tupperware, storing various baking ingredients and frequently using the jelly mould. However, they admitted to preferring alternative brands for other types of containers. This demonstrates the increasing competition Tupperware has faced from cheaper and more readily available alternatives. One user said, ‘I used to go to Tupperware parties out of loneliness and end up buying things that I couldn't really afford.’ The prevalence of other options may have contributed to Tupperware's waning popularity in recent years.

Nevertheless, some GransNet users shared more positive memories of Tupperware, revealing that their jugs, containers, utensils, and more have lasted for decades. One commenter said their mother enjoyed attending Tupperware parties and wasn't the type to be pressured into purchasing. This suggests that, for some, the social aspect of Tupperware gatherings was valuable and the investment in their quality products worthwhile.

However, not everyone felt sentimental towards the potential decline of Tupperware. One commenter said, ‘There are so many cheaper alternatives now...I couldn't care less that they are in trouble.’ With the market now saturated with more affordable and accessible options, it's no surprise that some feel less attachment to the brand.

Before Tupperware, Australian households relied on less ‘efficient’ methods like glass jars, wax paper, or ceramic containers with cork stoppers. Tupperware's arrival on Aussie shores in the early 1960s signified a shift in both food storage and consumption culture, and it quickly became a household staple.

Its introduction coincided with the growing desire for better food preservation techniques amidst increasing reliance on refrigerators. Australian families embraced Tupperware's practicality and durability in preserving their produce, leftovers, and meals for days or even weeks. The versatility of the containers transformed the way people consumed and stored food, ultimately reducing waste and saving money in the process.

Ultimately, while many users expressed nostalgia and appreciation for the quality and longevity of Tupperware products, the social and financial pressures of their marketing strategy may have left a lasting negative impression on others. As more affordable and convenient alternatives have emerged, it appears that Tupperware's once-iconic status is now being challenged… Not to mention, there is undoubtedly a shift away from plastic and towards more sustainable materials like glass.

Do you have any memories or experiences relating to Tupperware? Maybe you attended your fair share of Tupperware parties? Share your memories and thoughts below with fellow members and continue the conversation!

Yes my pantry is all Tupperware all the same colour. But I have since bought the grey containers that stack very well from K Mart for our Motorhome. If I was starting over again I would go for the K Mart as they seal just as well as Tupperware & are a fraction of the price. I feel Tupperware is far too expensive these days. And yes if you go to any party plan product you feel you have to buy something! I do not go to any of these parties anymore.

Yes my pantry is all Tupperware all the same colour. But I have since bought the grey containers that stack very well from K Mart for our Motorhome. If I was starting over again I would go for the K Mart as they seal just as well as Tupperware & are a fraction of the price. I feel Tupperware is far too expensive these days. And yes if you go to any party plan product you feel you have to buy something! I do not go to any of these parties anymore.
I agree Tupperware is really expensive with so many just as good alternatives in the shops.
I returned a lid that didn’t seal properly and the demonstrator assured me that it was 100% guaranteed and would be replaced. But no - they refused to replace it, telling me I could buy another one though. I have never been to a party or bought a piece of Tupperware since. So much for their 100% guarantee.

I gave all my Tupperware away years ago after 3 lids cracked and yes supposed to be 100% guaranteed but they wouldn’t replace them. I find the containers from shops just as good and heaps cheaper, so if I need to replace one it is cheaper and easier.

Tupperware was never really my thing, I've never been to a Tupperware party and I don't think I've ever actually bought any. We used to have a takeaway three or four times per year and I reused those containers, when they started to fail it was time to splash out on a delivered meal!! :)

Reactions: Zoya and debjoel21

View attachment 17353

I would never buy it again. Getting replacement lids etc was once Easy but in the last 10 yrs getting hold of a supplier is impossible.

Once upon a time, a long time, I used to be a Tupperware hostess, so I have a lot of Tupperware.
However, I would not go to a party today or ever again. I agree with the majority of comments, Tupperware is way overpriced for what you receive. And lifetime guarantee - it is non-existent, I have a number of broken pieces but now I have to pay on top IF they decide to replace, but most times they cannot replace as they no longer have the item I need, so I have been offered a cheaper replacement but does not fit in with the rest of the decor nor fits with the replacement item!!!

I know for a fact my mother-in-law is still using tupperware she bought in the first year they were selling it and I am still using some I bought nearly 40 years ago.

Reactions: Ricci
My Tupperware hit the garbage bin 3 months ago and good riddance. I have purchased a Systima range of containers made in New Zealand. Pricing is excellent at Big W and each of the containers has a seal for freshness and it works. No longer smelly capsicum - now stays fresh for up to 6 days. And is dishwasher friendly

Reactions: TheBear and Ricci
We still have our Tupperware from 40 plus years ago had 1 lid replaced after 35 years because it split

I boxed all my Tupperware (including inherited pieces from my late mum) up and gave to Goodwill, no doubt someone is making use of it..
I much rather prefer the Decor range!!

Reactions: TheBear and Ricci

View attachment 17353

i have never been a fan of tupperware. I am totally pyrex now

My husband worked at the Tupperware factory in Fern Tree Gully (Victoria) in 1974. At that stage, it was a quality product with a 100% replacement guarantee. Now it is a dinosaur. Party plans and exclusivity only work when your competition cannot meet you in quality or price. Having said that, before the brand slips into oblivion I think it's time I dusted off a poem I wrote over 35years ago about Tupperware-

Perpetual Tupperware

Someone gives you Tupperware, when you have your Kitchen Tea,
And you put it in the cupboard with enthusiastic glee.
Then someone has a party and they've invited you,
So you buy yourself a set of bowls and book a party too.
Now because you are the hostess you get some specials and some free,
And your friend has booked a party, so you have to go, you see.

Well Tupperware will last for years, and if it should ever break
The jolly stuff is guaranteed and so is just replaced.
By and by your plastics cupboard is bursting at the seams,
Where Tupperware is breeding, never used and seldom seen.
You've paid too much to throw it out, you can't give the stuff away,
So you leave it in the cupboard - you'll have a use for it one day.

The smarter people in the town don't buy Tupperware brand new,
They find it at a garage sale and buy cheap from folks like you.

Mary Rogers ©1987

View attachment 17353

We have Tupperware containers some the wife bought others from when mum passed away that she had when I was a kid every now and then I'll go through the op shop's in the area and see what they have and picked up the odd thing and handed it of to our daughter they where expensive at the time but they have lasted year's and still going 👍

When I got married 43 years ago, Tupperware was expensive but it was very good quality and came with a lifetime guarantee. I am still using Tupperware that I got for wedding presents and that my mother bought 50-odd years ago. I wish I could say the same for the Tupperware I purchased 20 years ago. The quality is not as good as it used to be. However, the main reason I stopped buying it was when they made it so difficult to get replacement parts. It used to be easy to hand in a damaged piece to a local consultant and get it exchanged at no cost. Now it seems as if Tupperware has gone out of its way to make it as difficult as possible. You have to send damaged pieces back east at your own cost. There is a limit on the number of items you can claim and according to their website, they now charge a processing fee. And that, of course, assumes that they will honour their lifetime guarantee. Every time I tried, they refused, saying that it was "impact damage" - which is wasn't, but you have no recourse if that is what they decide. So it's a Clayton's guarantee! Not only was there a limit on the number of items you could send in one claim, but some seals count as two items (e.g. the seals on the spice shakers). For those of you who are interested, I've bought my replacement seals on eBay from Malaysia at half the price. It does not surprise me at all that Tupperware are going out of business given their high prices, the drop in quality and the drop in customer service. In terms of cost effectiveness, you are now better off buying Decor, Sistema, etc.

Last edited:

View attachment 17353

One great thing about tuppaware is that it has a lifetime guarantee. If it breaks, cracks or doesn't behave as it should it is replaced, no questions asked, for YOUR LIFETIME!