Is This Your Favourite Supermarket? Australians Crown the BEST Supermarket Retailer in the Country

If you're looking to save money on your groceries, it's important to choose the right store. Depending on where you live, there are a variety of grocery stores to choose from. Some offer lower prices, while others may have sales or loyalty programs that can help you save.

But, when it comes to the best of the best, Aussies seem to come up with a consensus…

ALDI has been rated Australia's best supermarket for the fifth year in a row as families look for more frugal options to combat the soaring cost of living.

In a study of 2,500 consumers conducted by consumer comparison website Canstar Blue, German-owned ALDI was the only major retailer to receive five stars for overall satisfaction.

Meanwhile, other industry players such as Woolworths and Coles each received four ratings, while the privately held IGA received three.

In addition, Woolworths and Coles received four stars in the value-for-money category, leaving ALDI as the only supermarket to receive five. IGA trailed behind with a three-star rating.

pmrNbrbmEowDUG4wZi2SOtl4HyL5Uo4ELVRxiSTsw7ydP4trzy3d6VpGbxoU0Jlf7TlzNRydzZkubY8SwO4p_8DO2akiAQ4NTKws7Z01wtXhzZD4qI6CvoW1viNE06ij5tec1Mnfv6x2UWxfJohXKg

Summary of Canstar Blue’s survey results for the best supermarket retailer in Australia. Credit: Canstar Blue.

Canstar Blue editor-in-chief Christine Seib said that the results suggested that ALDI was able to resonate its strong brand identity with consumers, explaining: 'ALDI is known for its winning products and comparatively low prices.'

'So it's not surprising Aussie consumers have rated it the best supermarket, with five stars for the quality of its fresh food and own-branded products, as well as for value for money and deals and specials. '

'Plus, it was the only supermarket to achieve five stars from shoppers for all-important customer satisfaction.'

Ms Seib said families were particularly conscious of trying to get the most value for their money because of the rising inflation making things difficult at the checkout counter.

'Our research results indicated that getting value for money was an important factor for shoppers in 2022,' she added.

'Sixty-five per cent told us they pay attention to the specials available at the supermarkets, a third switch between supermarkets to maximise savings on specials and a quarter have swapped to supermarket-brand products to cut their spending.'

'Of those that switched their shopping to a new supermarket in the past year, more than half said they did so to save money.'

DoiojLoJQF3y-zeiBeZx2br1x7IYoqVTnfRcMXkiSu2sfra--xkKguo-iu7Ozce554lWv9oTz98bEMBk7sJR3g5TJNpEMSeCreNCuDffIpc_-j2xRzH7Z4VBFZTQ7v_rrim3IYfSPmBl_b5Axqsi0w

ALDI is crowned as the number 1 supermarket for the fifth year in a row. Credit: Bloomberg via Getty Images.

Customer service, produce freshness, supermarket-owned brand product quality, product diversity, and bargains and specials were also evaluated for the four chains.

IGA received its lone five-star rating for customer service, four for product freshness and variety, and three for all the other categories.

Woolworths, on the other hand, received top scores for product selection, store design, and presentation and received a strong four-out-of-five rating overall.

Coles received four stars in every category except for product freshness where it received a three-star rating.

And with the exception of customer service and product diversity, the German retailer received five-star ratings all around overall.

This is something we hear quite a lot at the SDC. We’ve included some comments from members below which explain the low customer service rating.

‘I can't shop at ALDI, I have a bad back, and all the double handling to pack is ridiculous....as they have to pick up the item to scan it, how it takes any more time to drop it in your bags rather than in a trolley is beyond me!! No customer service...it should be cheaper!!’ – @Lynette Finnigan

‘If ALDI changed and started home deliveries I would do almost all my shopping there. As it stands I'm mostly stuck with Woolies as I can't walk far enough to complete a full trek round the shop.’ – @Ricci

With a little more care at the checkout and a home delivery option, perhaps ALDI could score five stars across the board. Maybe one day!

More information on the findings and methodology of the survey can be read here.

So, there you have it, folks! We previously received a lot of comments about the performance of ALDI's customer service department, with many complaining that it offers poor service. So, it's safe to assume that this new study reflected the sentiments of most customers even those who did not participate in the interviews. But, we want to hear from you! Do you agree with the results? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
My taste buds must be different to everyone else's because I don't often like Aldi products. Also they are very limited in the variety of fresh produce, Their prices on fruit are not always cheaper, and I can never do a full shop there. Their constant announcements about opening and closing of aisles is very irritating, especially when one has been in a queue for a while, then they open a new aisle and people at the end of the queue end up being served first. Fortunately Coles is nearby and that is where I shop mostly . Once I needed to contact Aldi's head office and it took a great deal of searching, they don't make it easy. They might be cheaper for some things and save a bit of money over all, but its not pleasant to shop there.
I can never understand how they can be called "Australia's best supermarket.".

I'm almost 68 years old, 'exist' on a Disability Support Pension, and I'm housebound. There is an Aldi store less than ten minutes up the road from where I live BUT, ALDI DON'T HAVE ONLINE SHOPPING!! If only they did. :(

If you're looking to save money on your groceries, it's important to choose the right store. Depending on where you live, there are a variety of grocery stores to choose from. Some offer lower prices, while others may have sales or loyalty programs that can help you save.

But, when it comes to the best of the best, Aussies seem to come up with a consensus…

ALDI has been rated Australia's best supermarket for the fifth year in a row as families look for more frugal options to combat the soaring cost of living.

In a study of 2,500 consumers conducted by consumer comparison website Canstar Blue, German-owned ALDI was the only major retailer to receive five stars for overall satisfaction.

Meanwhile, other industry players such as Woolworths and Coles each received four ratings, while the privately held IGA received three.

In addition, Woolworths and Coles received four stars in the value-for-money category, leaving ALDI as the only supermarket to receive five. IGA trailed behind with a three-star rating.

pmrNbrbmEowDUG4wZi2SOtl4HyL5Uo4ELVRxiSTsw7ydP4trzy3d6VpGbxoU0Jlf7TlzNRydzZkubY8SwO4p_8DO2akiAQ4NTKws7Z01wtXhzZD4qI6CvoW1viNE06ij5tec1Mnfv6x2UWxfJohXKg

Summary of Canstar Blue’s survey results for the best supermarket retailer in Australia. Credit: Canstar Blue.

Canstar Blue editor-in-chief Christine Seib said that the results suggested that ALDI was able to resonate its strong brand identity with consumers, explaining: 'ALDI is known for its winning products and comparatively low prices.'

'So it's not surprising Aussie consumers have rated it the best supermarket, with five stars for the quality of its fresh food and own-branded products, as well as for value for money and deals and specials. '

'Plus, it was the only supermarket to achieve five stars from shoppers for all-important customer satisfaction.'

Ms Seib said families were particularly conscious of trying to get the most value for their money because of the rising inflation making things difficult at the checkout counter.

'Our research results indicated that getting value for money was an important factor for shoppers in 2022,' she added.

'Sixty-five per cent told us they pay attention to the specials available at the supermarkets, a third switch between supermarkets to maximise savings on specials and a quarter have swapped to supermarket-brand products to cut their spending.'

'Of those that switched their shopping to a new supermarket in the past year, more than half said they did so to save money.'

DoiojLoJQF3y-zeiBeZx2br1x7IYoqVTnfRcMXkiSu2sfra--xkKguo-iu7Ozce554lWv9oTz98bEMBk7sJR3g5TJNpEMSeCreNCuDffIpc_-j2xRzH7Z4VBFZTQ7v_rrim3IYfSPmBl_b5Axqsi0w

ALDI is crowned as the number 1 supermarket for the fifth year in a row. Credit: Bloomberg via Getty Images.

Customer service, produce freshness, supermarket-owned brand product quality, product diversity, and bargains and specials were also evaluated for the four chains.

IGA received its lone five-star rating for customer service, four for product freshness and variety, and three for all the other categories.

Woolworths, on the other hand, received top scores for product selection, store design, and presentation and received a strong four-out-of-five rating overall.

Coles received four stars in every category except for product freshness where it received a three-star rating.

And with the exception of customer service and product diversity, the German retailer received five-star ratings all around overall.

This is something we hear quite a lot at the SDC. We’ve included some comments from members below which explain the low customer service rating.

‘I can't shop at ALDI, I have a bad back, and all the double handling to pack is ridiculous....as they have to pick up the item to scan it, how it takes any more time to drop it in your bags rather than in a trolley is beyond me!! No customer service...it should be cheaper!!’ – @Lynette Finnigan

‘If ALDI changed and started home deliveries I would do almost all my shopping there. As it stands I'm mostly stuck with Woolies as I can't walk far enough to complete a full trek round the shop.’ – @Ricci

With a little more care at the checkout and a home delivery option, perhaps ALDI could score five stars across the board. Maybe one day!

More information on the findings and methodology of the survey can be read here.

So, there you have it, folks! We previously received a lot of comments about the performance of ALDI's customer service department, with many complaining that it offers poor service. So, it's safe to assume that this new study reflected the sentiments of most customers even those who did not participate in the interviews. But, we want to hear from you! Do you agree with the results? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
If price was the only consideration, I'd agree. But there's so much more to the shopping experience than just price. Consistency of stock, variety, atmosphere, shop design, customer service, checkouts, Australian products, etc., etc. I shop at Aldi for some items, but it's certainly not my main shop. But that's me!

Reactions: Jennylolo
Aldi has been my main shop for years and I love the savings! It would be nice if they brought in online shopping for those who find it difficult to get into their shops. I hope Aldi never, never replace the staff with machines as my local Coles has! Coles has only themselves to blame for the rise in shoplifting. Too easy to slip a few items through without paying for them via the machines. Morally wrong as people should be employed, not machines! Now I'll get off my hobby horse and have some lunch (bought from Aldi of course!). Keep smiling everyone and have a great day! :)

Reactions: Jillian
You all know my love of Aldi from its beginnings from Croydon & Chirnside Park. At the moment I am relying on my wonderful nephew to shop etc for me. I don't mind where he shops whilst I am trying to survive like all of us are. I've saved enough over the years to warrant the bit extra that I am SOOOO grateful to him just to have food on my table. He lives near me & his kindness is unbelievable because of my daughter having 24 hours watchful care every day by her husband. If Aldi delivered ohhhhhh such a big "IF" that I DO understand. Low pricing of goods has its reasons but, praying moves mountains. Give it "A GO." Like Yvonne C above, older people are finding the machines are BIG hiccups. I've seen it all including clever thieves. I saw a wife on a walking stick pushing her hubby who was no light weight @ the machine. She was wonderful Not wanting help but finally she had to give in to the lovely girl who was offering her assistance from Coles. I immediately felt so sad for her. Surely she could get help from home, but them everyone's circumstances are different aren't they?

Aldi pleeeeease come to Tasmania! You would make a killing! Three stores - one in the north one at Oatlands and one in the south.

If price was the only consideration, I'd agree. But there's so much more to the shopping experience than just price. Consistency of stock, variety, atmosphere, shop design, customer service, checkouts, Australian products, etc., etc. I shop at Aldi for some items, but it's certainly not my main shop. But that's me!
and size of the store as well. My local ones - 3 in 10 min drive- are really small and honestly I can't get all the fresh foods I want in any of them to shop in only one store.

Reactions: Mikeyboy2012