Is this common heartburn drug putting you at risk for cancer? Recent settlements raise concerns

Navigating the world of medication can often feel like a tightrope walk, balancing the relief of symptoms against the potential side effects and risks.

For many Australians over 60, heartburn is a common ailment, and the search for effective treatment is a serious concern.

However, recent news has cast a shadow over one popular remedy, prompting us to ask: Is a common heartburn drug putting you at risk for cancer?

Pfizer, a pharmaceutical giant, recently agreed to settle over 10,000 lawsuits that accused the company of concealing cancer risks associated with the heartburn drug Zantac.

While the exact financial details of the settlement remain under wraps, this move follows a similar settlement by Sanofi, another pharma heavyweight.

Last month, Sanofi resolved 4,000 Zantac-cancer claims with a payout exceeding US$100 million (around AU$152 million).

compressed-shutterstock_2163368675.jpeg
Pfizer settled over 10,000 lawsuits claiming Zantac, its heartburn medication, caused cancer. Credits: Shutterstock

The controversy surrounding Zantac, an over-the-counter medication, escalated in the United States in 2020 when the drug was withdrawn from the market.

This decision came on the heels of animal studies that identified the presence of ‘probable human carcinogens’ released by a key ingredient in the drug.

From 1998 to 2006, Pfizer was the primary manufacturer of Zantac. During this period, several lawsuits alleged that the company should have been aware of the drug's contamination with N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA)—a chemical byproduct found in many industrial processes, including rocket fuel production.

NDMA is also present in low quantities in various foods like cured and smoked meats, fish and beer, and tobacco smoke.

It is classified as a ‘forever chemical’, which means it does not naturally degrade in our bodies and is believed to cause DNA damage.

After the drug was withdrawn and reformulated, numerous lawsuits emerged in federal and state courts against Pfizer, GSK, Sanofi, and Boehringer Ingelheim, all of whom held rights to the medication.

According to sources familiar with the matter, Pfizer's agreements only address cases in US state courts and do not fully resolve the company's liability for Zantac claims.

Financial terms of the settlements were not immediately disclosed.

‘Pfizer has explored and will continue to explore opportunistic settlements of certain cases if appropriate and has settled certain cases,’ the company wrote in an email.

‘The company has not sold a Zantac product in more than 15 years and did so only for a limited period of time.’

It's important to note that, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), no cancer cases have been officially linked to Zantac.

However, thousands of patients alleged otherwise, and animal studies have indicated that NDMA can increase the risk of cancers in the oesophagus, kidneys, and stomach.

There was also a suggested link to colorectal cancer, which has been on the rise among young Americans.

In 2020, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) ordered all products containing ranitidine, the active ingredient in Zantac, to be removed from shelves and advised patients to discontinue any medications containing the ingredient.

In the wake of Pfizer's agreement to settle thousands of lawsuits over the alleged cancer risks associated with the heartburn drug Zantac, the pharmaceutical industry faces increased scrutiny over drug safety and transparency.

However, amidst these legal battles, there's a glimmer of hope in the medical field with the emergence of a breakthrough drug for hard-to-treat cancers.

Scientists are celebrating the development of this ‘truly wonderful’ medication, which promises new avenues for treating challenging forms of cancer.
Key Takeaways
  • Pfizer agreed to settle more than 10,000 lawsuits that allege its heartburn medication Zantac caused cancer.
  • The financial details of the settlements were not disclosed, but Sanofi—a pharmaceutical rival—paid over $100 million last month to resolve 4,000 Zantac-cancer claims.
  • NDMA, a probable human carcinogen found in Zantac, is a chemical that does not degrade naturally in the body and may damage DNA.
  • Despite the settlements, no cancer cases were officially linked to Zantac by the WHO, although animal studies suggested a possible risk of cancers in several organs.
Have you been affected by the Zantac recall? What alternatives have you found effective for managing heartburn? We encourage you to share your experiences and concerns in the comments below.

Sponsored
If Pfizer have anything to do with it yes it’s most likely killing you. Like the MRNA vaccines. Neither safe nor effective. Sadly human bodies are $ making machines to such corporations. Our health means nothing to them. They don’t care if we live or die.

Reactions: natalielocket
My Husband was taking Losec, a similar drug 2xdaily for over 30yrs at the direction of his doctor.
He suffered over 6 months before he passed away with Gastroparesis (he couldn't keep any food or liquid down). And before that he started to have swallowing issues.
When he passed away, I was looking for answers and discovered that Losec should only be taken for 14days with 4-month intervals. The doctor never advised and kept prescribing this drug.
I blame myself for not reading about this drug earlier, maybe I could have asked about it.
Please look up and read about the interactions of your medications.

My Husband was taking Losec, a similar drug 2xdaily for over 30yrs at the direction of his doctor.
He suffered over 6 months before he passed away with Gastroparesis (he couldn't keep any food or liquid down). And before that he started to have swallowing issues.
When he passed away, I was looking for answers and discovered that Losec should only be taken for 14days with 4-month intervals. The doctor never advised and kept prescribing this drug.
I blame myself for not reading about this drug earlier, maybe I could have asked about it.
You mustn’t blame yourself. It was solely up to the prescribing doctor and even the dispensing pharmacy to ensure you were given the correct dosing.

If Pfizer have anything to do with it yes it’s most likely killing you. Like the MRNA vaccines. Neither safe nor effective. Sadly human bodies are $ making machines to such corporations. Our health means nothing to them. They don’t care if we live or die.
Water can kill you too! Drowning and excessive consumption will and can lead to death, respectively.

Same with oxygen. It supports combustion, as in house fires and the like.

Damn it! Everything is out to kill you! Not just "Big Pharma"....

1 tspn bicarb soda in glass of cold water stir and drink small amount.
Works instantly. Stopped using prescribed drugs years ago.
Can't beat the old fashioned way
1 tspn bicarb soda in glass of cold water stir and drink small amount.
Works instantly. Stopped using prescribed drugs years ago.
Can't beat the old ways.Remember Indian brandy that was good for colic,indigestion and upset stomachs,l wonder if you can still buy it?

Thank you for your kind words, but you can't help wondering, what if ----
I understand what you’re saying. It’s a common human trait to think that way. But as I said, you’re not to blame. The prescribing doctor was irresponsible to omit correct dosing directions. Most pharmacists will also ensure the directions are followed. 🌼

Reactions: Littleboy8
I understand what you’re saying. It’s a common human trait to think that way. But as I said, you’re not to blame. The prescribing doctor was irresponsible to omit correct dosing directions. Most pharmacists will also ensure the directions are followed. 🌼
🌹

Reactions: Littleboy8
Losec is in a different drug class altogether.