Is this $14 Kmart gadget the secret to perfect mashed potatoes? Home cooks are divided!

When it comes to side dishes, one of the all-time Aussie favourites has to be mashed potatoes.

But making mashed potatoes by hand can be tedious, and achieving a smooth consistency can add to the hassle.

Interestingly, there's a lively debate among potato enthusiasts over the ideal way to prepare this classic dish.

Recently, a home cook posted in the Kmart Home Decor & Hacks Australia Facebook group, sharing her way of making mashed potatoes which uses a humble $14 kitchen gadget from Kmart, a Potato Ricer.

The home cook wrote: 'Don’t peel potatoes, boil them as is and use the ricer. It pushes the potato through and leaves the skin behind - no more peeling potatoes!'

The post captured the attention of hundreds of users, with many divided on the issue.

photo 1-2.jpg
Many home cooks are divided about whether using a potato ricer is ideal for making mashed potatoes. Credit: Kmart/Shutterstock.

On the one hand, some group members agreed, saying it made the task of preparing mashed potatoes a breeze.

One person wrote: ‘I still find peeling them before cooking makes it an easier task, even with a potato ricer.’

‘If you don’t peel them, you have to clear the peel after several times anyway.’

Another added: ‘I’ve been using this equipment for years!’

However, others believe leaving the skins on adds a unique flavour and texture on the dish.

One user argued: ‘I never peel them. Cut and mash with skin on.’

‘I love a mashed potato with the skin. It adds a nice texture, I think,’ another agreed.

A third chimed in: ‘I just make mash with the skins on.’

Some pointed out that it ‘takes so much longer' to prepare mashed potatoes with the ricer.

One person questioned: ‘Does it really? Because I literally don't make mashed potatoes purely for the fact that I hate peeling potatoes, and using gadgets makes the process time-consuming.’

‘Takes much longer to clean,’ another claimed.

Key Takeaways
  • A home cook shared her method of using a $14 potato ricer from Kmart to make mashed potatoes without peeling them first.
  • The post sparked a debate among Facebook group members about the best way to make mashed potatoes and whether to peel them beforehand.
  • Some users in the group agreed with the original post, while others argued that peeling potatoes before cooking is easier and less time-consuming.
  • The potato ricer is an affordable, convenient kitchen gadget that has generated mixed opinions on its efficiency and necessity in preparing mashed potatoes.

It seems that the humble potato ricer has become somewhat controversial among many home cooks!

Whether it's a nifty shortcut or an unnecessary hassle, there's no doubt that the conversation it has sparked has generated some useful tips and alternatives for making mashed potatoes.

Ultimately, it's up to personal preference, and it may be worth trying the potato ricer to see if it's a useful tool in your kitchen.

We also recommend checking out this recipe for those looking to step up their mashed potato game!

Sponsored
When it comes to side dishes, one of the all-time Aussie favourites has to be mashed potatoes.

But making mashed potatoes by hand can be tedious, and achieving a smooth consistency can add to the hassle.

Interestingly, there's a lively debate among potato enthusiasts over the ideal way to prepare this classic dish.

Recently, a home cook posted in the Kmart Home Decor & Hacks Australia Facebook group, sharing her way of making mashed potatoes which uses a humble $14 kitchen gadget from Kmart, a Potato Ricer.

The home cook wrote: 'Don’t peel potatoes, boil them as is and use the ricer. It pushes the potato through and leaves the skin behind - no more peeling potatoes!'

The post captured the attention of hundreds of users, with many divided on the issue.

View attachment 17699
Many home cooks are divided about whether using a potato ricer is ideal for making mashed potatoes. Credit: Kmart/Shutterstock.

On the one hand, some group members agreed, saying it made the task of preparing mashed potatoes a breeze.

One person wrote: ‘I still find peeling them before cooking makes it an easier task, even with a potato ricer.’

‘If you don’t peel them, you have to clear the peel after several times anyway.’

However, others believe leaving the skins on adds a unique flavour and texture on the dish.

‘I love a mashed potato with the skin. It adds a nice texture, I think,’ another agreed.

Some pointed out that it ‘takes so much longer' to prepare mashed potatoes with the ricer.

One person questioned: ‘Does it really? Because I literally don't make mashed potatoes purely for the fact that I hate peeling potatoes, and using gadgets makes the process time-consuming.’

Key Takeaways

• A home cook shared her method of using a $14 potato ricer from Kmart to make mashed potatoes without peeling them first.
  • The post sparked a debate among Facebook group members about the best way to make mashed potatoes and whether to peel them beforehand.
  • Some users in the group agreed with the original post, while others argued that peeling potatoes before cooking is easier and less time-consuming.
  • The potato ricer is an affordable, convenient kitchen gadget that has generated mixed opinions on its efficiency and necessity in preparing mashed potatoes.

It seems that the humble potato ricer has become somewhat controversial among many home cooks!

Whether it's a nifty shortcut or an unnecessary hassle, there's no doubt that the conversation it has sparked has generated some useful tips and alternatives for making mashed potatoes.

Ultimately, it's up to personal preference, and it may be worth trying the potato ricer to see if it's a useful tool in your kitchen.

We also recommend checking out this recipe for those looking to step up their mashed potato game!
I watch it being used on many a cooking show. Would have been used by me when young but it isn’t for anyone with compromised hands, arthritis etc.

View attachment 17699

Key Takeaways

Best tool I have in the kitchen. I never peel just scrap the peels out onto a papertowel as needed as I use a fork to put the spuds in anyway. Only thing I insist on is it needs to be cleaned immediately

View attachment 17699

Key Takeaways

• ISome users in the group agreed with the original post, while others argued that peeling potatoes before cooking is easier and less time-consuming.

I’m 73 and have found an easier way still! Frozen mash! Comes with the butter and use just enough for the meal. Delicious! Available at all supermarkets! More time for a glass of red at happy hour.

Best tool I have in the kitchen. I never peel just scrap the peels out onto a papertowel as needed as I use a fork to put the spuds in anyway. Only thing I insist on is it needs to be cleaned immediately
I have been wanting to get a Ricer for a long time, did not know that K Mart was selling them, although its doubtful my closest store will have them. I was also happy to hear that you could put the spuds into the ricer without having to first peel before cooking. Leaving the skins on vegetables before cooking virtually guarantees a better flavour, although I have yet to convince my husband of that, he is ,apparently, too precious to eat Vege skins, hence the assortment of "peelers" in the kitchen draw. Will either make may way into Kmart or order on-line for the ricer I have been wanting to get, glad to have read the recommendations about their use.

I have seen this many years ago and never bought it, but after reading this article ...I have just purchased a Potato Ricer from Khub website and paid $14.00 by PayPal. Click and Collect at Khub Gympie Qld.
Can't be more secure than that. Today is Friday and the website says it will send me an email to collect on approx Wed. or Thurs.
I read some feedback ... and I will purchase Washed Potatoes in a packet and find they are generally cheaper than loose on shelf.
Maybe it would be great with those little red colours spuds ... Little one are generally less eyes and grub bites .. and are already washed and cleaned spotless.
I feel that small potatoes would be easier to handle and no peeling great.... I think the peeling may be left behind so only need to shake out and bin them

Some of us don't drink wine anyway. I know we are not many but why get used to something you can't afford anyway?
I think she was saying the frozen mash is easier, which by the way it is perfect for a person living on their own, zap it in the microwave and stir it with a fork, ready to eat in a couple of minutes. And it don't taste half bad either.

View attachment 17699

Key Takeaways

I wash my spuds then I steam them skin on. The vitamin content is just under the skin so why would you peel them I mash with butter a little milk and my secret ingredient (my friend told me about) a teaspoon of "horseradish" cream....yummo!

Reactions: TheBear
We were shouted lunch at a pub today, gone are the old pub lunches we knew, and the mashed potatoes were skin on and done with dill. Absolutely delicious with crispy skinned salmon

View attachment 17699

Key Takeaways

I've had one of these for years and yes it makes your potato's smoother and creamier. Only used it with skin off though.