Is the shift towards cashless banking leaving older Australians behind? Advocacy group slams financial institutions for ageism

In our rapidly digitising world, many conveniences have arisen that make day-to-day life easier for most of the population. One such change is the shift towards cashless banking, a trend that doesn't appear to be slowing down anytime soon.

Unfortunately, while this trend provides benefits for some, it also raises concerns for many people who are members of vulnerable groups, such as seniors and those with no access to the internet.

According to recent reports, closing cash services at banks may cut off access to essential banking services for many older Australians.

Patricia Sparrow, COTA Australia's Chief Executive Officer, recently expressed her concern over the trend of in-person banking services becoming less accessible.

bank-closed-financial-crisis-people-260nw-1767382253.jpg copy.png
Advocacy groups are worried that the closure of banks is excluding vulnerable groups, particularly seniors, who have limited options for accessing banking services. Credit: Shutterstock/Net Vector.

She said, ‘It’s important that everyone can access banking and other essential services no matter their circumstances or location.’

‘There’s been a trend towards making in-person banking less accessible for many years, and the recent move by ANZ is just the latest example of that.’

Sparrow acknowledged that technological advancements have led to a shift towards digitisation, which is not a problem for many older Australians.

However, she noted that this shift should not come at the expense of those in the community who still heavily rely on in-person services.

She continued: ‘There are many vulnerable older people who don’t have bank cards and prefer, for a number of reasons, to get their money out over the counter with the assistance of staff members.’

‘During COVID-19, it was revealed that there were tens of thousands of accounts without active debit cards attached to them, many of which belonged to older Australians.’

Sparrow emphasised that it is not just a matter of convenience but also financial inclusion and accessibility for everyone.

Bank branch closures and changes to banking at branches have made access increasingly difficult for many, particularly those in regional areas.

Ms Sparrow remarked: ‘It’s important to note that many older Australians are very happy to use new banking technology, and of course, we need to find ways to include everyone in technological advancements, but we can’t ignore the fact that physical banking is still important to many people.’

‘The government and banking sector need to work together to come up with solutions that work for everyone. Forcing people to deal with a lack of access to basic services is not the answer.’

In a previous report, we highlighted the closure of local Westpac banks, with some members of the SDC expressing their concerns.

One member shared: ‘We are losing our local Westpac in May. It was only small anyway, max two people and only open 10 am to 2 pm. The only thing we will be left with is the post office.’

Several SDC members speculated that the closures were due to financial institutions cutting costs, which would explain the move towards digital banking.

One member expressed frustration, saying: ‘Just closed a bank account because it has gone digital. Going digital is just an excuse for sacking staff to make more money.’

‘Going “paper-free” means that you and I and thousands of others have to spend time and money sitting at a keyboard when at one time we could walk to the nearby shops/bank and have a bit of a chat with counter staff/the owner and maybe even catch up with some old friends.’

Others called for the government to take action and address the issue.

One comment read: ‘Why is the federal government not stopping these bank closures? Surely there is a happy median in this. If you leave it to the bankers, they'll choose profit over service every time, especially if they are foreign-owned banks.’

Key Takeaways

• The closure of cash services at banks raises concerns for seniors and others who rely on in-person banking.
  • Patricia Sparrow, COTA Australia's Chief Executive Officer, has expressed her concerns regarding the decreasing accessibility of in-person banking services.
  • Many older Australians struggle due to the digitisation of banking and the closures of physical branches, especially in regional areas.
  • Sparrow emphasises the need for the government and banking sector to work together to find solutions that cater to everyone's needs and ensure financial inclusion and accessibility.

Members, it can be difficult to stay up to date with bank changes, particularly when they come with short notice.

If you're worried that your branch might be closing or discontinuing cash services, then make sure to check regular updates and call in or email the customer service team of your financial institution to get the latest information.

We want to hear from you. Has your local bank closed? What concerns do you have about the move to digital banking? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
Have not used internet baking for a few years now…and do not think I ever will again!!
I had $50,000 removed from my account by a would be thief…I had messages come through from my bank inquiry about the money being used for e trading (yes I do e trade but not that amount of money in one transaction)
Lucky for me the Federal Police were knocking on this thief’s door, (they had been watching the person for a week or more), while the bank was assuring me that I would get my money back….after a very long, tense week, the money was back in my account… internet banking No more for me!!

Reactions: Jennylolo
I am a pensioner and got scammed so do not do internet banking anymore. Everything is cash or postal order which is going backwards but at least I feel safe again now. This would apply to a lot of pensioners I am sure.

Reactions: Jennylolo
I worry about if Suncorp amalgamates with ANZ then are we going to be next to lose our branches and availability to get cash. Why don't they ask their customers what they want, don't listen to the executives, they only want to make profits. I am still a cash person but also use internet banking. Have taken their app off my phone after a friend got mugged of their phone and keys and they stole her car. At least she didnt' have a banking app on her phone. No one is safe anymore.

how will small towns bank each day and get money out for the next day, or will they just change their business to another bank that is still in their town they closed the 2 banks a few years back in our small town and then the rest of the shops followed as people has to go out of town to do their banking so they just stayed in the bigger town and did their shopping to the banks make enough profit to keep a sub bank open as someone said can they not put a few in the one building may be that might be the answer but the big supermarkets they don't care either look at the self-serve checkout they need to just get out in the real world and just look at what the people need as it looks good on paper but it don't work in the real world

In our rapidly digitising world, many conveniences have arisen that make day-to-day life easier for most of the population. One such change is the shift towards cashless banking, a trend that doesn't appear to be slowing down anytime soon.

Unfortunately, while this trend provides benefits for some, it also raises concerns for many people who are members of vulnerable groups, such as seniors and those with no access to the internet.

According to recent reports, closing cash services at banks may cut off access to essential banking services for many older Australians.

Patricia Sparrow, COTA Australia's Chief Executive Officer, recently expressed her concern over the trend of in-person banking services becoming less accessible.

View attachment 16960
Advocacy groups are worried that the closure of banks is excluding vulnerable groups, particularly seniors, who have limited options for accessing banking services. Credit: Shutterstock/Net Vector.

She said, ‘It’s important that everyone can access banking and other essential services no matter their circumstances or location.’

‘There’s been a trend towards making in-person banking less accessible for many years, and the recent move by ANZ is just the latest example of that.’

Sparrow acknowledged that technological advancements have led to a shift towards digitisation, which is not a problem for many older Australians.

However, she noted that this shift should not come at the expense of those in the community who still heavily rely on in-person services.

She continued: ‘There are many vulnerable older people who don’t have bank cards and prefer, for a number of reasons, to get their money out over the counter with the assistance of staff members.’

‘During COVID-19, it was revealed that there were tens of thousands of accounts without active debit cards attached to them, many of which belonged to older Australians.’

Sparrow emphasised that it is not just a matter of convenience but also financial inclusion and accessibility for everyone.

Bank branch closures and changes to banking at branches have made access increasingly difficult for many, particularly those in regional areas.

Ms Sparrow remarked: ‘It’s important to note that many older Australians are very happy to use new banking technology, and of course, we need to find ways to include everyone in technological advancements, but we can’t ignore the fact that physical banking is still important to many people.’

‘The government and banking sector need to work together to come up with solutions that work for everyone. Forcing people to deal with a lack of access to basic services is not the answer.’

In a previous report, we highlighted the closure of local Westpac banks, with some members of the SDC expressing their concerns.

One member shared: ‘We are losing our local Westpac in May. It was only small anyway, max two people and only open 10 am to 2 pm. The only thing we will be left with is the post office.’

Several SDC members speculated that the closures were due to financial institutions cutting costs, which would explain the move towards digital banking.

One member expressed frustration, saying: ‘Just closed a bank account because it has gone digital. Going digital is just an excuse for sacking staff to make more money.’

‘Going “paper-free” means that you and I and thousands of others have to spend time and money sitting at a keyboard when at one time we could walk to the nearby shops/bank and have a bit of a chat with counter staff/the owner and maybe even catch up with some old friends.’

One comment read: ‘Why is the federal government not stopping these bank closures? Surely there is a happy median in this. If you leave it to the bankers, they'll choose profit over service every time, especially if they are foreign-owned banks.’

Key Takeaways

• The closure of cash services at banks raises concerns for seniors and others who rely on in-person banking.
  • Patricia Sparrow, COTA Australia's Chief Executive Officer, has expressed her concerns regarding the decreasing accessibility of in-person banking services.
  • Many older Australians struggle due to the digitisation of banking and the closures of physical branches, especially in regional areas.
  • Sparrow emphasises the need for the government and banking sector to work together to find solutions that cater to everyone's needs and ensure financial inclusion and accessibility.

Members, it can be difficult to stay up to date with bank changes, particularly when they come with short notice.

If you're worried that your branch might be closing or discontinuing cash services, then make sure to check regular updates and call in or email the customer service team of your financial institution to get the latest information.

We want to hear from you. Has your local bank closed? What concerns do you have about the move to digital banking? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!
The big banks have sold the ATM service to a third party where a fee can be charged ... They are closing Branches so they can make more money because no employees to pay and no rental to pay...
So it's bigger profits for the banks and a bigger wage and a bigger bonus for the CEO's and executive manager....They wont lower their fees tho....

There is another reason to keep cash around too. A few years ago, I was doing my weekly shopping, and went to pay with my card at the chemist, but the payment failed, with a message "contact your bank". I knew I had sufficient money in my account, but luckily had enough cash to pay for my items. I bank with one of the major banks, so I went straight round to the bank, where there was a security guard outside. Apparently their whole banking system had crashed, so no-one could access anything! The guard asked if I was a customer and I said "yes" and that I needed to be able to pay for my shopping. The bank allowed each customer to come and they would manually withdraw a maximum of $200 for you, but of course they couldn't put the transaction through, or even check to see if you had that much in your account! Their systems were down Australia-wide for almost 24 hours! I managed to do most of my shopping, but had to leave a few things. Since then I always keep around $200 in my purse, just in case!

Reactions: Liz and Jennylolo
how will small towns bank each day and get money out for the next day, or will they just change their business to another bank that is still in their town they closed the 2 banks a few years back in our small town and then the rest of the shops followed as people has to go out of town to do their banking so they just stayed in the bigger town and did their shopping to the banks make enough profit to keep a sub bank open as someone said can they not put a few in the one building may be that might be the answer but the big supermarkets they don't care either look at the self-serve checkout they need to just get out in the real world and just look at what the people need as it looks good on paper but it don't work in the real world
You are 100% correct: the banks and big supermarkets don't care what we, the general public, think or want. They will do what they want to do, without considering our wants and needs. I, personally, am dreading the day when we are forced to give up cash and there will only be digital banking when all transactions are recorded. It looks like I will have to give up my daily donuts, so my husband doesn't find out about my bad habit. But, hey, that's just my opinion.

I’m also frustrated, when I put in my card in the ATM to withdraw money and get this msg.“System difficulties”. Then you think you can go to the teller, and there is only 1 teller and a long queue.
They also charge us $2.50 to use the teller to withdraw our hard earned money. Banks are ripping us off.

adding to what has already been stating rather then restating as I agree with it all- I have friends and colleagues in their 30s who don't own a phone or a card. They use cash only and run no credit.

Kids/teens get something from a shop and they have to have a card.- ridiculous.

As a senior I also won't put my banking details on my phone, nor email. Phones are often los or picked up etc. It is for using as a phone only. It becomes another avenue for would be theft from gaining access.

There are stores and shops who require cash as they won't use eftpos for under $10 so if all you want is a drink you can't pay for it. I've been in supermarkets when everything went down and only those with cash were able to put shopping through. They then had to return all goods to fridges, freezers and shelf stuff as they couldn't be paid for. Digital isn't always reliable.

No-one should be telling anyone how to deal with their money.

I'm sure our bank notes say they are legal tender so they can't be refused. Also using just cash no plastic card makes it much easier to manage my budget, I only need to look in my wallet and know how much I have for groceries etc

You can get cash at the supermarkets. You know ... when you pay for your groceries, the check-out person will ask any cash? That's because the supermarket gets a payment from the bank when they do a cash withdrawal application for customers. It's a win for the supermarkets, so use it to your advantage, as it's free.

Reactions: Liz
I am one of those people who has been overly concern by the closure of my local ANZ branch out here in a country town. As of the 14 April I will need to travel to either to Katoomba or Bathurst to do anything in branch transaction. To be honest it has not surprised me that the banks of Australia no longer care about the people who made then that big now that we are old. I will admit that yes, most people born after the mid 80's are not using the staff maned branches (online for everything as they say). But I have never understood why the banks don't get together in the country towns and create a one stop banking building. By this I mean, one building that have say 4 or more banks in it. This would mean the front desk has one teller per bank and say 2 extra rooms or bays for that sit down meeting of things. They could even share the vault where the cash is held, split the bays inside the vault with a lockable door for each bank that works within that vault. Come on you big wigs get your act together and start helping the common people instead of just big profits to line your pockets.
I'm not a ountry person, but reckon this is a great idea! I also think it could work to everyone's benefit in towns and cities.

Reactions: Lorraine Rea
My local branch has not closed yet but my concern is that with all the hacking that is going on
and it seems it cannot be stopped why are banks insisting on going cash free
and everything to be digital maybe first they should sort out the hacking side
then think about digital currency PEOPLE BEFORE EXCESSIVE PROFIT
What are our politicians doing to protect us from these greedy banks
Pollies want it as well, supposedly to stop/track criminals.

With so many banks closing I wonder how they can justify that people with credit cards and go into the bank to make the repayment to the bank. The repayment may be on the last Due Date and the customer just got funds into their own bank account that very day. Like they received the pension that day and because BPay can take 2-3 days to go through they have to leave their home, go to their bank(s) and get the funds out of their bank account and make that payment on their credit card. This, so they also get the Interest Free Period. I work this way and sometimes one gets a massive bill like Private Health Fund or their Home Building & Contents insurance and they pay yearly to save just there by not paying monthly. The private fund can be $3,000 just for one person. They may have BPayed $2,000 in time but need the last pension payment to get that last $1,000 needed, even a little extra so the card is in credit (like I always do) but ensured that the bank has the all the monies in time. The banks are required to be accessible for customers to do that. Not every person uses the same bank for their banking and their credit card as well. If the banks are not accessible then they will have to increase their Interest Free Days by another 10-15 days to allow people to BPay or transfer funds and the credit card have been updated as $payment received and the amount as well within time. The same for mortgages. People may be expecting monies via other means, even a family loan to help them out. The banks should be required under financial licencing laws to increase everything if they close their branches.

View attachment 16960

Key Takeaways

Banks 🏦 will be ripping of consumers cashless society is bullshit this will be job's lost and every time you do a transaction you will be charged a fee this is highway robbery these institutions make billions and this will add to it 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

In Hobart ANZ has changed their banking hours, the tellers now close at 2.00pm forcing you to use the ATM's for cash but you can only get large notes i.e $50 & $100. Too bad if you want smaller values. There is always a wait to use them.

What do you mean by TRY - they are already doing this - Got hit by scammers twice (very large sums of money) and ID fraud once and the banks did nothing to help me get my money back. They left me out to dry. They will help only if its a small amount.
I would re-try with the Bank because they do give back your money when scammed. I have heard if large amount taken they do try to only give back a fraction, but you have to really voice your opinion and wants with them to be successful . Please try again, is their someone in your family who can help you with this?