Is the shift towards cashless banking leaving older Australians behind? Advocacy group slams financial institutions for ageism

In our rapidly digitising world, many conveniences have arisen that make day-to-day life easier for most of the population. One such change is the shift towards cashless banking, a trend that doesn't appear to be slowing down anytime soon.

Unfortunately, while this trend provides benefits for some, it also raises concerns for many people who are members of vulnerable groups, such as seniors and those with no access to the internet.

According to recent reports, closing cash services at banks may cut off access to essential banking services for many older Australians.

Patricia Sparrow, COTA Australia's Chief Executive Officer, recently expressed her concern over the trend of in-person banking services becoming less accessible.

bank-closed-financial-crisis-people-260nw-1767382253.jpg copy.png
Advocacy groups are worried that the closure of banks is excluding vulnerable groups, particularly seniors, who have limited options for accessing banking services. Credit: Shutterstock/Net Vector.

She said, ‘It’s important that everyone can access banking and other essential services no matter their circumstances or location.’

‘There’s been a trend towards making in-person banking less accessible for many years, and the recent move by ANZ is just the latest example of that.’

Sparrow acknowledged that technological advancements have led to a shift towards digitisation, which is not a problem for many older Australians.

However, she noted that this shift should not come at the expense of those in the community who still heavily rely on in-person services.

She continued: ‘There are many vulnerable older people who don’t have bank cards and prefer, for a number of reasons, to get their money out over the counter with the assistance of staff members.’

‘During COVID-19, it was revealed that there were tens of thousands of accounts without active debit cards attached to them, many of which belonged to older Australians.’

Sparrow emphasised that it is not just a matter of convenience but also financial inclusion and accessibility for everyone.

Bank branch closures and changes to banking at branches have made access increasingly difficult for many, particularly those in regional areas.

Ms Sparrow remarked: ‘It’s important to note that many older Australians are very happy to use new banking technology, and of course, we need to find ways to include everyone in technological advancements, but we can’t ignore the fact that physical banking is still important to many people.’

‘The government and banking sector need to work together to come up with solutions that work for everyone. Forcing people to deal with a lack of access to basic services is not the answer.’

In a previous report, we highlighted the closure of local Westpac banks, with some members of the SDC expressing their concerns.

One member shared: ‘We are losing our local Westpac in May. It was only small anyway, max two people and only open 10 am to 2 pm. The only thing we will be left with is the post office.’

Several SDC members speculated that the closures were due to financial institutions cutting costs, which would explain the move towards digital banking.

One member expressed frustration, saying: ‘Just closed a bank account because it has gone digital. Going digital is just an excuse for sacking staff to make more money.’

‘Going “paper-free” means that you and I and thousands of others have to spend time and money sitting at a keyboard when at one time we could walk to the nearby shops/bank and have a bit of a chat with counter staff/the owner and maybe even catch up with some old friends.’

Others called for the government to take action and address the issue.

One comment read: ‘Why is the federal government not stopping these bank closures? Surely there is a happy median in this. If you leave it to the bankers, they'll choose profit over service every time, especially if they are foreign-owned banks.’

Key Takeaways

• The closure of cash services at banks raises concerns for seniors and others who rely on in-person banking.
  • Patricia Sparrow, COTA Australia's Chief Executive Officer, has expressed her concerns regarding the decreasing accessibility of in-person banking services.
  • Many older Australians struggle due to the digitisation of banking and the closures of physical branches, especially in regional areas.
  • Sparrow emphasises the need for the government and banking sector to work together to find solutions that cater to everyone's needs and ensure financial inclusion and accessibility.

Members, it can be difficult to stay up to date with bank changes, particularly when they come with short notice.

If you're worried that your branch might be closing or discontinuing cash services, then make sure to check regular updates and call in or email the customer service team of your financial institution to get the latest information.

We want to hear from you. Has your local bank closed? What concerns do you have about the move to digital banking? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
In our rapidly digitising world, many conveniences have arisen that make day-to-day life easier for most of the population. One such change is the shift towards cashless banking, a trend that doesn't appear to be slowing down anytime soon.

Unfortunately, while this trend provides benefits for some, it also raises concerns for many people who are members of vulnerable groups, such as seniors and those with no access to the internet.

According to recent reports, closing cash services at banks may cut off access to essential banking services for many older Australians.

Patricia Sparrow, COTA Australia's Chief Executive Officer, recently expressed her concern over the trend of in-person banking services becoming less accessible.

View attachment 16960
Advocacy groups are worried that the closure of banks is excluding vulnerable groups, particularly seniors, who have limited options for accessing banking services. Credit: Shutterstock/Net Vector.

She said, ‘It’s important that everyone can access banking and other essential services no matter their circumstances or location.’

‘There’s been a trend towards making in-person banking less accessible for many years, and the recent move by ANZ is just the latest example of that.’

Sparrow acknowledged that technological advancements have led to a shift towards digitisation, which is not a problem for many older Australians.

However, she noted that this shift should not come at the expense of those in the community who still heavily rely on in-person services.

She continued: ‘There are many vulnerable older people who don’t have bank cards and prefer, for a number of reasons, to get their money out over the counter with the assistance of staff members.’

‘During COVID-19, it was revealed that there were tens of thousands of accounts without active debit cards attached to them, many of which belonged to older Australians.’

Sparrow emphasised that it is not just a matter of convenience but also financial inclusion and accessibility for everyone.

Bank branch closures and changes to banking at branches have made access increasingly difficult for many, particularly those in regional areas.

Ms Sparrow remarked: ‘It’s important to note that many older Australians are very happy to use new banking technology, and of course, we need to find ways to include everyone in technological advancements, but we can’t ignore the fact that physical banking is still important to many people.’

‘The government and banking sector need to work together to come up with solutions that work for everyone. Forcing people to deal with a lack of access to basic services is not the answer.’

In a previous report, we highlighted the closure of local Westpac banks, with some members of the SDC expressing their concerns.

One member shared: ‘We are losing our local Westpac in May. It was only small anyway, max two people and only open 10 am to 2 pm. The only thing we will be left with is the post office.’

Several SDC members speculated that the closures were due to financial institutions cutting costs, which would explain the move towards digital banking.

One member expressed frustration, saying: ‘Just closed a bank account because it has gone digital. Going digital is just an excuse for sacking staff to make more money.’

‘Going “paper-free” means that you and I and thousands of others have to spend time and money sitting at a keyboard when at one time we could walk to the nearby shops/bank and have a bit of a chat with counter staff/the owner and maybe even catch up with some old friends.’

One comment read: ‘Why is the federal government not stopping these bank closures? Surely there is a happy median in this. If you leave it to the bankers, they'll choose profit over service every time, especially if they are foreign-owned banks.’

Key Takeaways

• The closure of cash services at banks raises concerns for seniors and others who rely on in-person banking.
  • Patricia Sparrow, COTA Australia's Chief Executive Officer, has expressed her concerns regarding the decreasing accessibility of in-person banking services.
  • Many older Australians struggle due to the digitisation of banking and the closures of physical branches, especially in regional areas.
  • Sparrow emphasises the need for the government and banking sector to work together to find solutions that cater to everyone's needs and ensure financial inclusion and accessibility.

Members, it can be difficult to stay up to date with bank changes, particularly when they come with short notice.

If you're worried that your branch might be closing or discontinuing cash services, then make sure to check regular updates and call in or email the customer service team of your financial institution to get the latest information.

We want to hear from you. Has your local bank closed? What concerns do you have about the move to digital banking? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!
Members, it can be difficult to stay up to date with bank

CHARGES, particularly when they come with short notice.

Reactions: Macarj and Ricci
This is a safety issue. Many older people do not want to use internet for everything as they are afraid someone will find a way to take what money they have. If large companies have data stolen what chance is there for older people to stay safe. Please keep over the counter banking for the sake of older generation.

View attachment 16960

Key Takeaways

I am one of those people who has been overly concern by the closure of my local ANZ branch out here in a country town. As of the 14 April I will need to travel to either to Katoomba or Bathurst to do anything in branch transaction. To be honest it has not surprised me that the banks of Australia no longer care about the people who made then that big now that we are old. I will admit that yes, most people born after the mid 80's are not using the staff maned branches (online for everything as they say). But I have never understood why the banks don't get together in the country towns and create a one stop banking building. By this I mean, one building that have say 4 or more banks in it. This would mean the front desk has one teller per bank and say 2 extra rooms or bays for that sit down meeting of things. They could even share the vault where the cash is held, split the bays inside the vault with a lockable door for each bank that works within that vault. Come on you big wigs get your act together and start helping the common people instead of just big profits to line your pockets.

Banks are closing or streamlining due to most of the population using online banking.
I always have some cash in my bag, as some shops state 'our minimum Eftpos purchase is $10' which is annoying. Sometimes, I don't want to spend $10 in a shop, so I pay cash instead.
You can get cash at any supermarket, which is ideal.
My elderly mother can use a PC and a tablet, but she would never attempt online banking.
It can be daunting and complicated for elderly people, as it's a foreign concept for them.

In addition, if you are scammed, the banks now try to get out of their previous ‘guarantee’ of you not losing the money that has fraudulently been taken! To top it all, the banks are now outsourcing all their ATMS from streets, so you have to take cash out when shopping centres are open, or pay additional fees to the outsourced atm companies. The REAL push is to use your mobile phone for all your banking and purchases …. no thank you.

And when it becomes completely cashless, and you can only use your card, the Authorities (Govt) will be able to dictate, and control, person by individual person, where, how much, and for what, you spend YOUR money. Just like the restrictive cards used in Aboriginal Communities in NT.

Unfortunately, people will take the scam bait, which is very sad with their hard earned money gone.
I don't use mobile internet banking. However, I do use internet banking on my PC to transfer money to pay bills etc. When I make a withdrawal, my bank always sends me a text message in order to verify if the withdrawal is correct or not, before the bank completes the transfer. My elderly mother finds this whole process very daunting.

In addition, if you are scammed, the banks now try to get out of their previous ‘guarantee’ of you not losing the money that has fraudulently been taken! To top it all, the banks are now outsourcing all their ATMS from streets, so you have to take cash out when shopping centres are open, or pay additional fees to the outsourced atm companies. The REAL push is to use your mobile phone for all your banking and purchases …. no thank you.
What do you mean by TRY - they are already doing this - Got hit by scammers twice (very large sums of money) and ID fraud once and the banks did nothing to help me get my money back. They left me out to dry. They will help only if its a small amount.

Last edited:
While I do 100% of my banking online I flatly refuse to have any banking apps on my phone. There is nothing I can think of that has to be done immediately while you are out and about that can't be done either before you leave home or when you get back. My phone is for making calls, my home laptop is for everything else. :)

We were with a big bank as we traveled quite a bit and they were more available. After returning after 6 months our bank in town was closed. Went to their nearest bank, closed our accounts, and went to the small bank in the village. They were happy to have us , they know us by name and nothing is too much bother for them.

And when it becomes completely cashless, and you can only use your card, the Authorities (Govt) will be able to dictate, and control, person by individual person, where, how much, and for what, you spend YOUR money. Just like the restrictive cards used in Aboriginal Communities in NT.
This is the real reason we all need to fight this - we need to fight to retain our privacy and our personal freedom. We are losing a lot of the ATMs, as well as the physical banks, so it is getting more difficult to get access to physical cash. Once cash is gone, so is our privacy.

View attachment 16960

Key Takeaways

Bank closed at next town moved to Townsville needed cash to pay a bill coins for garage sale could not get through to branch by phone rang 1800 no took half an hour then could only get notes no cash from another banks atm machine very stressful

View attachment 16960

Key Takeaways

My local branch has not closed yet but my concern is that with all the hacking that is going on
and it seems it cannot be stopped why are banks insisting on going cash free
and everything to be digital maybe first they should sort out the hacking side
then think about digital currency PEOPLE BEFORE EXCESSIVE PROFIT
What are our politicians doing to protect us from these greedy banks