Is the era of smoking coming to an end with this new legislation? Tobacco industry set for a seismic shift!

It seems like the Australian government is ready to pull out all the stops in a bid to curb the nation's smoking and vaping habits. With the newly proposed legislation, the tobacco industry might be in for a massive shake-up over the next couple of years.

Remember the days when cigarette packs had attractive designs and catchy names? ('Virginia Slims', anyone?) Those days are long gone, thanks to Australia's introduction of plain packaging and graphic warnings on cigarette packs.

But as the saying goes, give them an inch, and they'll take a mile – and it seems the tobacco industry has done just that, finding new ways to market their products and entice younger people despite the restrictions.

But the government isn't giving up without a fight. Health Minister Mark Butler announced on World No-Tobacco Day that a proposed 300-page legislation is set to be released, with the plan to introduce it in parliament later this year.

If passed, the new laws will come into effect by April 2024 with a 15-month transition period, making the new regulations operational from July 2025.

Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 1.13.49 PM.png
Warnings on individual cigarettes, health inserts inside packs and the banning of flavours are among a raft of new 'world-leading' changes proposed by the federal government. Credit: Unsplash/rezamehrad.

Butler explained that the new measures target marketing strategies employed by the tobacco industry which undermine the intention behind the plain packaging and graphic package that the government had put in place a decade ago.

He said, 'Over the last ten years, it's clear there has been no significant action taken to build on the reforms that Nicola Roxon led a decade ago.'

The Health Minister further revealed that while daily smoking rates have dropped dramatically, around 12 per cent of Australians still smoke daily, accounting for over two million people. Since no adequate action has been taken to build on the existing reforms, smoking rates have essentially hit a plateau.

So, what's in store with this proposed legislation? A lot, indeed! Here are some of the significant changes you can expect if the new laws are passed:

1. Standardised package sizing and products: No more flashy pack designs or different sizes for cigarettes.

2. Uniform look and size of filters: This will target stylish, slim cigarettes that may be appealing to younger people.

3. Ban on flavours and additives: No more flavoured or fragrant cigarettes or vaping options to attract younger and new smokers.

4. Restrictions on misleading names: There will be no more confusing or catchy names for tobacco products.

5. Updated warnings and graphic images: Fresh, possibly more shocking images of the consequences of smoking on each pack.

6. Health warnings on individual cigarettes: Each cigarette will carry a reminder of the health risks associated with smoking.

7. Public health inserts in tobacco packs: The tobacco industry will be required to include public health information in every pack they sell.

'This legislation, as I said, is in the draft form being published as an exposure draft today along with a consultation paper,' Butler mentioned, underlining the seriousness of the situation.

If all goes according to plan, these proposed changes could bring about a significant blow to the tobacco industry and change the smoking landscape forever.

Australia’s tobacco control timeline.jpg

Key Takeaways

• The Australian federal government is proposing new legislation to shake up the tobacco industry, aimed at addressing rising vaping rates among youth and the 12% of daily smokers in the country.
  • This 'world-leading' legislation includes measures such as warnings on individual cigarettes, health inserts inside packs, and banning flavours in vapes and other items.
  • Health Minister Mark Butler stated that the legislation aims to address marketing strategies used by the tobacco industry to bypass previous regulations introduced a decade ago.
  • The proposed legislation is expected to be introduced to parliament later this year and become law by April 2024.

Giving up smoking is tough but totally doable! Just keep in mind that there isn't one magical fix that suits everyone. However, some proven strategies can up your chances of kicking the habit for good.

With the right tools, support, and a bit of planning, anyone can quit smoking successfully and start enjoying positive transformations in their life. Don't be embarrassed to ask for help, either! Consulting with a healthcare pro who knows their stuff can give you the guidance and resources you need to get on the right track.

Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 1.13.41 PM.png
Quitting smoking is a challenging journey, but it is achievable with the right tools and planning. Credit: Flickr.

We are keen to hear your insights regarding this news. What are your thoughts on the proposed legislation? Do you believe it will effectively reduce smoking habits among Australians in the long run? Please feel free to share your opinions with us in the comments section below!

Sponsored
About time for stricter controls on the tobacco industry. I found the only way to give up was cold turkey about 13 years ago. It is sickening seeing all these young people smoking or vaping and knowing first hand the damage it does, anything to make it harder for people, especially young people, to quit is good in my books. If I had known way back then the consequences of smoking, I probably would never had started. At least these days all the evidence is out there to show how dangerous it is. I hope by telling my story to get one young person to quit, I hope I might save a life.

It seems like the Australian government is ready to pull out all the stops in a bid to curb the nation's smoking and vaping habits. With the newly proposed legislation, the tobacco industry might be in for a massive shake-up over the next couple of years.

Remember the days when cigarette packs had attractive designs and catchy names? ('Virginia Slims', anyone?) Those days are long gone, thanks to Australia's introduction of plain packaging and graphic warnings on cigarette packs.

But as the saying goes, give them an inch, and they'll take a mile – and it seems the tobacco industry has done just that, finding new ways to market their products and entice younger people despite the restrictions.

But the government isn't giving up without a fight. Health Minister Mark Butler announced on World No-Tobacco Day that a proposed 300-page legislation is set to be released, with the plan to introduce it in parliament later this year.

If passed, the new laws will come into effect by April 2024 with a 15-month transition period, making the new regulations operational from July 2025.

View attachment 21221
Warnings on individual cigarettes, health inserts inside packs and the banning of flavours are among a raft of new 'world-leading' changes proposed by the federal government. Credit: Unsplash/rezamehrad.

Butler explained that the new measures target marketing strategies employed by the tobacco industry which undermine the intention behind the plain packaging and graphic package that the government had put in place a decade ago.

He said, 'Over the last ten years, it's clear there has been no significant action taken to build on the reforms that Nicola Roxon led a decade ago.'

The Health Minister further revealed that while daily smoking rates have dropped dramatically, around 12 per cent of Australians still smoke daily, accounting for over two million people. Since no adequate action has been taken to build on the existing reforms, smoking rates have essentially hit a plateau.

So, what's in store with this proposed legislation? A lot, indeed! Here are some of the significant changes you can expect if the new laws are passed:

1. Standardised package sizing and products: No more flashy pack designs or different sizes for cigarettes.

2. Uniform look and size of filters: This will target stylish, slim cigarettes that may be appealing to younger people.

3. Ban on flavours and additives: No more flavoured or fragrant cigarettes or vaping options to attract younger and new smokers.

4. Restrictions on misleading names: There will be no more confusing or catchy names for tobacco products.

5. Updated warnings and graphic images: Fresh, possibly more shocking images of the consequences of smoking on each pack.

6. Health warnings on individual cigarettes: Each cigarette will carry a reminder of the health risks associated with smoking.

7. Public health inserts in tobacco packs: The tobacco industry will be required to include public health information in every pack they sell.

'This legislation, as I said, is in the draft form being published as an exposure draft today along with a consultation paper,' Butler mentioned, underlining the seriousness of the situation.

If all goes according to plan, these proposed changes could bring about a significant blow to the tobacco industry and change the smoking landscape forever.

Key Takeaways

• The Australian federal government is proposing new legislation to shake up the tobacco industry, aimed at addressing rising vaping rates among youth and the 12% of daily smokers in the country.
  • This 'world-leading' legislation includes measures such as warnings on individual cigarettes, health inserts inside packs, and banning flavours in vapes and other items.
  • Health Minister Mark Butler stated that the legislation aims to address marketing strategies used by the tobacco industry to bypass previous regulations introduced a decade ago.
  • The proposed legislation is expected to be introduced to parliament later this year and become law by April 2024.

Giving up smoking is tough but totally doable! Just keep in mind that there isn't one magical fix that suits everyone. However, some proven strategies can up your chances of kicking the habit for good.

With the right tools, support, and a bit of planning, anyone can quit smoking successfully and start enjoying positive transformations in their life. Don't be embarrassed to ask for help, either! Consulting with a healthcare pro who knows their stuff can give you the guidance and resources you need to get on the right track.

View attachment 21222
Quitting smoking is a challenging journey, but it is achievable with the right tools and planning. Credit: Flickr.

We are keen to hear your insights regarding this news. What are your thoughts on the proposed legislation? Do you believe it will effectively reduce smoking habits among Australians in the long run? Please feel free to share your opinions with us in the comments section below!
being type one i could not take any of the available stop smoking so cold turkey was the way to go. it worked back in 1993 but a bit late for my lungs. it makes me sad to see the young ones now. i wish i could take them and show them just what happens with this awful product. back in my day it was thought smart. smart NOT,

I will believe they are serious if and when they put stronger restrictions on where tobacco products can be sold. Our small town (pop 600) has 3 outlets within 50 metres plus 2 more slightly further away, none of which is a tobacconist. If it is good enough to make it harder to buy vapes, which some people I know have used to successfully give up for >2 years, why does every supermarket, newsagent, servo, alcohol outlet, and corner shop need to sell tobacco?
Also, why not follow NZ's lead and bring in a permanent 'if born after X date you will never be able to legally purchase tobacco' restriction, making it so that eventually the smoking population will all die off?

I hope that once they have reduced smoking dramatically they will have the same determination about drinking and gambling. These too have significant health risks and ways of ruining families. Mind you, the drop in revenue to the Government will be immense and they will have to recoup it through other means - your personal tax dollar. 😟 😟

About time for stricter controls on the tobacco industry. I found the only way to give up was cold turkey about 13 years ago. It is sickening seeing all these young people smoking or vaping and knowing first hand the damage it does, anything to make it harder for people, especially young people, to quit is good in my books. If I had known way back then the consequences of smoking, I probably would never had started. At least these days all the evidence is out there to show how dangerous it is. I hope by telling my story to get one young person to quit, I hope I might save a life.
Well said . I smoked for 40 years. Yul brynner was right all those years ago

View attachment 21221

Key Takeaways

View attachment 21222

It took me 5 tries over 10 years taking Champix to finally get to the point of quitting smoking. It's so difficult but doable but I do believe you really have to want it.

Tax increases on tobacco and vapes/smoking products will impact people's decisions to buy.

Tax the products to increase the prices so that they are out of reach of people.

Less people will buy cigarettes/smoking products when they are too expensive because they'll have to prioritise things like accommodation/utilities/transport/ clothing/medical and food costs.

Please don't waste your time posting comments on how the smoking 🚬 addiction is so very hard to overcome so people will forgo food or go into debt to buy them etc.

Those who would rather smoke or vape than eat or pay for other living costs are actually making that conscious decision to act irresponsibly.

Millions have overcome it, yes it is hard to do but there are credible stats on the numbers of people who have kicked the habit including me.

Last edited:

View attachment 21221

Key Takeaways

View attachment 21222

It’s just an excuse for the government to make more money, all these extra thing’s like the inserts inside the packaging and the warnings, we’ve heard them all before, it’s just the government spending millions of $$ for what? (to help you give up), if people want to give up smoking or vaping they will, you can’t make a person do something they don’t want to do. If the government just stops talking so much about it and just do some of these things (not all) like stop the flavour vapes being sold would be a great start, and why do they need to be told and shown smoking is bad for them, I think they already know so no more advertising on the packaging is gonna tell him what they already know…….. reform smokers that’s what they are 😂😂😂

I hope that once they have reduced smoking dramatically they will have the same determination about drinking and gambling. These too have significant health risks and ways of ruining families. Mind you, the drop in revenue to the Government will be immense and they will have to recoup it through other means - your personal tax dollar. 😟 😟
And fuel ⛽😥

It's always nice to know someone is looking after the health of others, but what I will never understand is, why smoking (which mainly affects the smoker alone - after all, second-hand smoke is really not that much of an issue today with new laws regarding smoking) is always a priority, yet very little, if any, is ever done to reduce alcohol consumption!

The side effects of alcohol abuse are multiple times more dangerous to, not
only the consumer but, mainly the victim.
Domestic violence, child abuse, driving drunk, public fighting - not to mention, cirrhosis of the liver, brain damage and worst of all, homelessness.

Am I the only one who can see the priorities here...? :cry: :cry: :cry:

View attachment 21221

Key Takeaways

View attachment 21222

Funny how memory works, I was about 20 when Virginia Slims hit the market. Their jingle
"You've come a long baby to get to where you've got to today! You've got your own cigarette now baby! You've come a long long way!" ....Patronising, demeaning & downright dangerous.

It's always nice to know someone is looking after the health of others, but what I will never understand is, why smoking (which mainly affects the smoker alone - after all, second-hand smoke is really not that much of an issue today with new laws regarding smoking) is always a priority, yet very little, if any, is ever done to reduce alcohol consumption!

The side effects of alcohol abuse are multiple times more dangerous to, not
only the consumer but, mainly the victim.
Domestic violence, child abuse, driving drunk, public fighting - not to mention, cirrhosis of the liver, brain damage and worst of all, homelessness.

Am I the only one who can see the priorities here...? :cry: :cry: :cry:
Smoking can also be a kind of abuse when parents smoke in the house or cars with their kids in there.
Second hand smoke is worst .
If my daughter is 6 feet away from someone smoking she will get asthma.

The affects on our medical system would outway the cost of drinking and I think it's a higher priority than drinking

View attachment 21221

Key Takeaways

View attachment 21222

Do they reallty think that putting health warnings on the cigarettes and leaflets in the packets, is going to make a difference? Smokers arent going to read them.
If the government was genuinely serious on stopping smoking and vaping they would just ban them altogether. Problem is the Government will loose too much money in taxes if they do.
Yes it's not easy for some people to stop, but while the cigarettes are still available they will always find an excuse not to stop. I did it cold turkey, about 30 years ago and have never lit up since then. It can be done, just remove them off the market.

I will believe they are serious if and when they put stronger restrictions on where tobacco products can be sold. Our small town (pop 600) has 3 outlets within 50 metres plus 2 more slightly further away, none of which is a tobacconist. If it is good enough to make it harder to buy vapes, which some people I know have used to successfully give up for >2 years, why does every supermarket, newsagent, servo, alcohol outlet, and corner shop need to sell tobacco?
Also, why not follow NZ's lead and bring in a permanent 'if born after X date you will never be able to legally purchase tobacco' restriction, making it so that eventually the smoking population will all die off?
Oooh, I didn't know that, about NZ. What a brilliant idea.

My precious granddaughter smokes but has been able to wean herself off cigarettes with the help of vapes although she knows the risks to her health it costs her far less for vapes than for cigarettes. I keep on at her to give up but as she has given up the cigarettes I am hoping she will eventually give up.