Is it possible to avoid Coles and Woolworths for a week? These three shoppers did!

With two supermarket giants dominating the Australian grocery scene, it can be hard to shop without running into them. After all, they seem to cover every corner of the country and are often the most convenient choice when it comes to everyday food shopping.

But what if you decided to put aside the two household names for a week? Is it possible to avoid them and still get everything you need without breaking the bank?

Three shoppers decided to try just that. Opening a diary, they kept a record of their shopping habits, and though all three ended up spending less than they would usually, the results differed greatly in accordance with their location and their existing grocery routines.

shutterstock_1089233159 (2) (1).jpg
Could you buy everything you need without Coles or Woolies? Image Credit: Shutterstock

'I desperately wanted to flake,' said Molly from inner Melbourne.

Being a self-proclaimed farmers’ market snob who splurges on post-work Coles and Woolworths trips, Molly Glassey expected the challenge to be a breeze. But after only 24 hours of avoiding the giants, Molly was shocked to find some of her essentials no longer at her fingertips.

'Sticky date pudding in the oven and no ice cream in the freezer, all I wanted was half-price Connoisseur from Coles,' Molly lamented.

'I usually get sucked into buying more than I need at Coles or Woolies. But at the “popping out” to IGA, I wasn't at all wooed into buying more than I needed,' she says.

Did she save any money? ‘Yes, definitely.’

Did she save any time? ‘No.’

Would she do it again? ‘Sure, but not willingly.’

Meanwhile, Jasper from regional Victoria exclaimed, 'I'm a convert.’

Living in rural Victoria, Jasper is used to enjoying the convenience of Woolworths deliveries every two weeks. Ditching them for a week forced Jasper to discover the many small shops, local stores and discount shops that made up his hometown.

After visiting a few local stores and his usual fresh produce haunts, Jasper saved a whopping $197! Not only that, but he also found his shopping trips were much faster, and he realised he was better off without the supermarket deliveries due to not easily being tempted to stock up on more than he needed when shopping.

'Having a relationship with shop owners such as Jo, Ro, Patricia, and Paul is a special part of small-town life. And Cheaper Buy Miles' $3 meal kits were the real solution for me for when I needed quick and easy dinner ideas,' Jasper says.

Did he save any money? ‘Yes, this week $197!’

Did he save any time? ‘Yes! Even though Woolies delivery sort of saves time, the reasons for delivery aren’t applicable once you shop a few times a week and stop prepping for the apocalypse.’

Would he do this again? ‘Absolutely.’

'I'll always need a major [supermarket] to cover the gaps,' said Mostafa from Western Sydney.

Mostafa, living in an area filled with ethnic grocers, began his journey thinking he could comfortably avoid the industry giants for a week. However, although his local independent grocers carried a wide range of fresh produce and items from dried pasta to Lotus Biscoff biscuits, they missed a very important item—paper towels!

‘I ended up walking away without paper towels, and felt strangely sad about it.’ he said.

Did he save any money? ‘Yes, roughly $10.’

Did he save any time? ‘Nope! Going up and down the stairs between the different grocers and hunting for a final few items added about 15 minutes to my shop.’

Would he do this again? ‘I really wanted to do it all, and I really enjoyed the wider selection and slightly cheaper options at the independent grocers, but I think I’ll always need a major supermarket to just cover the gaps.’

Key Takeaways

• Three shoppers managed to successfully complete their weekly groceries avoiding Coles and Woolworths. They reported spending less money than usual.
  • A shopper from inner Melbourne found it hard to avoid Coles and Woolworths, missing the convenience and range of products but noted she spent less.
  • A resident from regional Victoria enjoyed the community feel, personalised service and found it less expensive to shop locally. He plans to continue with this practice.
  • Despite the wider selection and cheaper options at independent grocers, a resident of Western Sydney missed certain goods, stating that he would always need a major supermarket to cover the gaps.

The verdict?

It looks like the verdict is that while you can save money by not going to Coles or Woolworths, it may not be possible to get all your groceries from one place.

However, for those who think it is possible, being mindful of your spending habits and forming relationships with your local shop owners is the key to making it work.

So, members, why not give it a try yourself? You could be surprised by the results!

Sponsored
We have three supermarkets in our small town. Woolworths, Foodland and IGA. I can see it would be a good idea to browse the catalogues and make a list of which store has the things you need on special, and shop at all three if necessary. I realize it takes extra time and sometimes I just can't be bothered. But it would definitely save money and provide custom for the locally owned businesses such as IGA and Foodland. I just wish supermarket would include more real food in their catalogues, rather than heaps of confectionary and soft drinks.

The majority of half price specials are junk food and non essentials. To save money you need to make a full list of everything you buy, then check the catalogues.
when you see items on your list buy them. Any items with a long shelf life, buy in bulk (canned goods can last over a year) MAKE A PLAN.

We have three supermarkets in our small town. Woolworths, Foodland and IGA. I can see it would be a good idea to browse the catalogues and make a list of which store has the things you need on special, and shop at all three if necessary. I realize it takes extra time and sometimes I just can't be bothered. But it would definitely save money and provide custom for the locally owned businesses such as IGA and Foodland. I just wish supermarket would include more real food in their catalogues, rather than heaps of confectionary and soft drinks.
not quite sure what you mean by real food. Do you mean fresh produce? That isn't something that any buy for these stores can lock in, the elements dictate the price, floods, cyclones, transport costs, seasonal availability etc. Manufactured food is a controlled environment so, the cost to produce and deliver is very much in the hands of both buyer and supplier.

Reactions: Macarj and Chicky
ALDI then and only then coles and woolies after checking the specials.Home delivery never ever and better still local fruit and vegetable shop and best of all my wife a country girl COOKS whatever is in season.Better for you and a lot cheaper.Cabbage Turnips Chokos Parsnips etc ask grandma if she is still around she knows how .

Having spent the early years when bringing up my family in scrimping and saving, checking catalogues and comparing prices, I don’t want to go back to living like that. I try Aldi every now and then, but everything about it frustrates me so much and I have to go to WW afterwards anyway, as Aldi doesn’t stock so much of what I regularly buy. No Coles nearby. I stock up at NQR when I’m near one (closest is 40 minutes away). Otherwise, I shop at the one place, once a month for a big shop, and weekly for perishables. I do feel blessed that I‘m in a position to be able to do this in retirement, and realise it’s not so for everyone.

With two supermarket giants dominating the Australian grocery scene, it can be hard to shop without running into them. After all, they seem to cover every corner of the country and are often the most convenient choice when it comes to everyday food shopping.

But what if you decided to put aside the two household names for a week? Is it possible to avoid them and still get everything you need without breaking the bank?

Three shoppers decided to try just that. Opening a diary, they kept a record of their shopping habits, and though all three ended up spending less than they would usually, the results differed greatly in accordance with their location and their existing grocery routines.

View attachment 26339
Could you buy everything you need without Coles or Woolies? Image Credit: Shutterstock

Being a self-proclaimed farmers’ market snob who splurges on post-work Coles and Woolworths trips, Molly Glassey expected the challenge to be a breeze. But after only 24 hours of avoiding the giants, Molly was shocked to find some of her essentials no longer at her fingertips.

'Sticky date pudding in the oven and no ice cream in the freezer, all I wanted was half-price Connoisseur from Coles,' Molly lamented.

'I usually get sucked into buying more than I need at Coles or Woolies. But at the “popping out” to IGA, I wasn't at all wooed into buying more than I needed,' she says.

Living in rural Victoria, Jasper is used to enjoying the convenience of Woolworths deliveries every two weeks. Ditching them for a week forced Jasper to discover the many small shops, local stores and discount shops that made up his hometown.

After visiting a few local stores and his usual fresh produce haunts, Jasper saved a whopping $197! Not only that, but he also found his shopping trips were much faster, and he realised he was better off without the supermarket deliveries due to not easily being tempted to stock up on more than he needed when shopping.

'Having a relationship with shop owners such as Jo, Ro, Patricia, and Paul is a special part of small-town life. And Cheaper Buy Miles' $3 meal kits were the real solution for me for when I needed quick and easy dinner ideas,' Jasper says.

Did he save any time? ‘Yes! Even though Woolies delivery sort of saves time, the reasons for delivery aren’t applicable once you shop a few times a week and stop prepping for the apocalypse.’

'I'll always need a major [supermarket] to cover the gaps,' said Mostafa from Western Sydney.

Mostafa, living in an area filled with ethnic grocers, began his journey thinking he could comfortably avoid the industry giants for a week. However, although his local independent grocers carried a wide range of fresh produce and items from dried pasta to Lotus Biscoff biscuits, they missed a very important item—paper towels!

‘I ended up walking away without paper towels, and felt strangely sad about it.’ he said.

Did he save any time? ‘Nope! Going up and down the stairs between the different grocers and hunting for a final few items added about 15 minutes to my shop.’

Would he do this again? ‘I really wanted to do it all, and I really enjoyed the wider selection and slightly cheaper options at the independent grocers, but I think I’ll always need a major supermarket to just cover the gaps.’

Key Takeaways

• Three shoppers managed to successfully complete their weekly groceries avoiding Coles and Woolworths. They reported spending less money than usual.
  • A shopper from inner Melbourne found it hard to avoid Coles and Woolworths, missing the convenience and range of products but noted she spent less.
  • A resident from regional Victoria enjoyed the community feel, personalised service and found it less expensive to shop locally. He plans to continue with this practice.
  • Despite the wider selection and cheaper options at independent grocers, a resident of Western Sydney missed certain goods, stating that he would always need a major supermarket to cover the gaps.

The verdict?

It looks like the verdict is that while you can save money by not going to Coles or Woolworths, it may not be possible to get all your groceries from one place.

However, for those who think it is possible, being mindful of your spending habits and forming relationships with your local shop owners is the key to making it work.

So, members, why not give it a try yourself? You could be surprised by the results!
You forgot ALDI

Reactions: Chicky

View attachment 26339

Key Takeaways

The verdict?

going from shop to shop, to buy SLIGHTLY cheaper, is time consuming, yes you can burn off extra calories & yes these items MIGHT by SLIGHTLY cheaper, BUT...HOW MUCH FUEL, will you use. is it REALY worth it.??

View attachment 26339

Key Takeaways

The verdict?

Well, they would have saved a fortune just by ditching the too-big ones, Coles and Woolies. I have not shopped there for over 5 years.

Reactions: Marj53
I have the same 3 in my town. But my Wollies is small and doesnt always have what i need. So i have to go the next biggest town to get those items, that the other 3 stores dont have.

View attachment 26339

Key Takeaways

The verdict?

Aldi first if necessary Coles second and last but rarely Woolworths

Reactions: ynohtna and Jennie
No shop in our area , 5 km further there is a small Woollies and a good IGA . The other day I bought 500 g Special K at IGA for $4.50 , that was on special 1/2 price and before Covid I could never find the same on special for less than $5.-. I check their catalogue regularly and this week lean mince for $15.- per kg , tomorrow last day . Sometimes I go on my pushbike since they made a new foot-bike pathway. Really good , I just have to cross the highway . :)

Reactions: deni67
Well, they would have saved a fortune just by ditching the too-big ones, Coles and Woolies. I have not shopped there for over 5 years.
I'm confused. Are you the Marj53 author above who states she goes to WW?

Because here this Marj53 states she avoids WW and Coles.

View attachment 26339

Key Takeaways

The verdict?

I loved Franklin's but only in Tamworth now ..I got used to them when I worked for them in Cessnock.

Reactions: Bunyip57

View attachment 26339

Key Takeaways

The verdict?

Im all for shopping at the small local shops. While once I thought they were so expensive but I feel the big chains have caught up. We have some great farmers markets, a farm shop and a honey farm close by. We have a wonderful general store in my small town and I like being called by name when I walk in and often a small item or two are thrown in because they are a bit overdue. I got a free loaf of raisin bread to toast because it was “stale”. Worked perfectly fine for toast. Maybe there are things I can’t get there but I’m learning how to substitute and I find sometimes I come up with some delicious dinners just using what I had or what I could get locally. I save myself an hour round trip to the big boys, I am treated with courtesy which I find lacking in our local woollies and it is more relaxing. Sometimes it’s not just about the money.

Reactions: deni67