Is it cheaper to shop at Costco? Journalist puts claim to the test! — here’s what she found out

When it comes to grocery shopping, we immediately think of Woolies and Coles. After all, these all-Australia supermarket chains have been in operation for decades.

However, with the penetration of foreign supermarket companies, such as ALDI and Costco to the Australian market, the "duopoly" of the supermarketing industry was challenged, prompting the aforementioned retailers to compete with the foreign companies.

And with competition comes the slashing of prices of some goods.

With that in mind, a number of Australians were curious whether getting your groceries from membership warehouses, such as Costco, would result in a lower grocery bill compared to doing your shopping in conventional retailers.

So, Sydney Morning Herald journalist Jessica Irvine put the hypothesis to the test by doing a "personal analysis" on the prices of some items sold in Costco and compared them with similar products in Woolworths.

Here's what she found out…

I8G0sre1McvkDfvisPCA4E15_yYKzJuOPUg1XU3nV-M8q1_IpnNPYZpsMNBDcAM3IqYRrNg5Q1jHZtV3_h7ljnb2UsSnL0nYoCjZyD0wLNi-E93Ek2GBEXmXmeQaxPJVf1TTfIw

Sydney Morning Herald journalist Jessica Irvine tested if it’s cheaper to buy groceries in Costco compared to Woolworths. Credit: Dionne Gain.

Jessica said that she spent $421.60 in total after purchasing fresh food and household items in Costco, labelling the experience as a "big shop" for her.

I'm sure some of you are raising your eyebrows right now upon reading that, but Jessica assured readers that the amount she forked out for this shopping was all for the sake of the experiment so no need to worry, folks! You will not be spending that amount on your regular shop at Costco.

She said: "When I got home, I created an Excel spreadsheet listing everything I bought and began scouring the Woolworths website for comparable prices for comparable quantities."

The journalist said that she "ran two analyses" to compare the prices of the Costco items with the Woolies products, explaining that she first compared the Costco products to their same-brand or equivalent-branded products from Woolworths.

And the result of the first analysis? A saving of a whopping $120.32!

The recorded total at the My Woolworths app showed a bill of $541.92, which was significantly higher compared to Jessica's Costco bill.

In her second analysis, the journalist compared the costs of the Costco items to the Woolworths home brand substitutes.

Jessica wrote; "Woolworths still came out more expensive, but less so, at $488.24. Given I actually dropped $476.60 in total to shop at Costco (including the membership fee) it’s not clear I was that much better off."

For those of you who are curious about Costco's membership process and fees, please visit https://www.costco.com.au/membership.

The journalist also pointed out that there are some considerations to keep in mind when shopping at a membership store.

"But unlike Costco, Woolworths and Coles typically offer a choice of brands plus their ‘homebrand’ alternatives, which are of generally good quality and price," she said.

Jessica also emphasised that there is no guarantee that every item is cheaper in Costco compared to other stores.

She explained: "Costco fresh salmon, at $31.99 per kilogram, cost more than Woolworth’s $27 per kilogram."

"The 1-kilogram tub of salted pretzels I bought because I was sure it would be cheaper at $11.39 actually cost more than if I’d bought five 200 gram bags for $2 each at Woolworths."

"And I forked over $19.99 for a 1.2 kilograms packet of strawberries at Costco, when I could have paid $18.72 for the same amount at Woolworths. Importantly, I could also have just bought a smaller punnet."

BNlBDmMu858J66QdkouYeBZwrW4im5BEsbF6l9pM3QC6eHR-RH6fGr1sy_B3Idjl3r-M7XLAiJQbO2BKOViZdJf44TirP7g7JSQFbpyRkl5_w3iC5KBUKHc7_VHW2xJudxsDc5s

The journalist said that while purchasing groceries from Costco might be cheaper compared to Woolworths, there were some caveats that you should keep in mind. Credit: Getty Images.

She also pointed out that buying in bulk is more common at Costco compared to other retailers, so it might not be a good idea to do your grocery shopping there if you're a single person or shopping for a small household.

She said: "Bottom line, I’d say Costco is great for stocking up on long-life shelf items in bulk and there are definitely savings to be had on fruit and vegetables for large families who can buy in bulk and be sure not to waste it before it goes off."

How about you? Have you tried shopping at Costco? For those who are curious to see what items you can purchase at this membership warehouse, you might want to check out this video:

Credit: YouTube/Rosh&Stace

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
A few of my friends decided to try Costco when it first arrived in Brisbane. The results were mixed. All agreed it cost a lot in travel to the store as there was only one at the time (there still aren't many). The initial membership was high and most of my friends decided they couldn't save enough in a year to cover the membership fee. On the whole they were disappointed. Only one of the original group still shops at Costco and she says it's worth the savings she can get on buying long life items in bulk. It should be noted that she has six school age children and also a large two storey house with lots of downstairs storage space. All my other friends went back to their regular Coles, Woolies, Aldi and IGA stores.

Reactions: Bindii and Ricci
I used to enjoy my trips to Costco, it was a day out. Our nearest Costco is an hour and a half drive away. We would spend big, buying in bulk and getting stuff that just wasn't available at our local supermarkets. we would then go for lunch, fill up the car at Costco fuel station and drive home.
I haven't done that for about five years now as there's only me to cater for but, I'm still working my way through the washing powder I bought there (12.7kg) and the 4ltr dishwashing liquid, not to mention the spray and wipe multi pack, shampoo and conditioner and several other items. :)

Reactions: Nardia and Phyll
I’m one of the lucky ones as Costco is only 5 minutes away. You need to know your prices as some items are more expensive than other stores. Petrol is certainly cheaper than other petrol stations, at the moment is 9 cents less per litre.

Reactions: Nardia and Ricci
I have recently joined Costco with the purpose of buying items that I seem to buy regularly. There is only one store here in Adelaide which is about 130km round trip. I buy a lot of frozen fruits and nuts ie almonds, pecans, walnuts. My daughter came with me and between us we spent around $520. My share was $245 I did a spreadsheet comparison with Woolies/Aldi and yes I went for home brands or brands I would normally buy there and I saved $139, less the membership of $60 it was still an $80 saving. I'm sure my daughter would have also saved money.
I will say if you have a gathering to cater for, have the cupboard space and plenty of freezer room ... go for it. Even with petrol prices at the moment it is still worth the trip. We plan on going every 3 or so months.
Downside is the frozen fruits are imported from the USA. Would prefer to support local BUT with a saving of $22 just on the berries, as a retiree, I can live with that.

when we first joined Costco it was very exciting but not anymore as their prices have increased .Although their meats is first class ,mostly unaffordable .We used to be a household of 5 people ,now only two ,Costco no longer worth the trip !

Reactions: Bindii and Ricci
I'm fortunate that Costco for me is very close by. However I save at least the membership alone on my fuel, usually within 6 months. I shop with a friend, but knowing the prices makes for some amazing bargains, we share the bulk items as both pensioners. The wonderful items for parties, or for clubs are the best, picking up a big tray of sushi, and their fabulous cut sandwiches (which are really well filled, unlike other ones with fillings barely scraped on), or the 2 x trays of 6 Muffins for $10, huge muffins, that freeze so well. Or again, take to a shared club or event morning tea, can't beat that price. The Decorated cakes (great for kids) just over $30, and you can get 50-60serves! Choose your design. A lovely treat to find a 600g French Double cream Brie on special for $11.99, take to a party, and everyone can have some. Not like those tiny 180g triangles of it for $4-$5 And the Gluten-Free range of products is fabulous. I shop mainly Costco and ALDI, and manage to buy the best of both, saving so much.