Is global weight loss company Jenny Craig shutting down operations? Shocking leaked email reveals all

For four decades, Jenny Craig has been a revolutionary force in the weight loss and nutrition industry, helping millions of clients worldwide make healthy lifestyle choices.

But now, the pioneering global brand is reportedly set to close its doors after it was unable to secure additional financing.

According to an email sent to US employees earlier this week, the company said it would close its doors, with many of its employees set to work their final day this Friday.

The email also informed staff members that they would receive their final pay, including their ‘full compensation earned through the last day of work and all accrued’ and unused paid leave.

It is believed that the company has amassed around US $250 million (AU $374,000,000) in debt and is reportedly even weighing up filing for bankruptcy.

weight1.jpg
Jenny Craig is set to close its doors after four decades of service. Credit: Shutterstock

Reports also stated that employees in one US office were notified last week that their store branch would close on June 24 or, possibly, as soon as this Friday.

The document said: ‘While we had to issue WARN Notices specifically for sites where we had more than 50 people potentially impacted, this will likely impact all employees in some manner.’

‘We do not know the exact employees/groups who will be impacted and if any employees may be retained. As a result, we would suggest that you anticipate that your employment may be impacted and begin to seek other employment,’ it continued.

All staff members also reportedly received a notice revealing that physical operations would be winding down due to the business wanting to evolve into an e-commerce model.

In the US, the WARN Act requires employers with at least 100 staff members to give workers 60 days’ notice of potential mass layoffs or worksite closures.

Founded in 1983 in Melbourne, Australia, by American husband-and-wife duo Jenny and Sidney Craig, the weight loss and nutrition business was bought by H.I.G Capital in 2019. It currently employs thousands of people in the US, with hundreds of centres across the globe, including in Australia.

Just last week, a spokesperson for the global weight loss company insisted that it was ‘business as usual’ and that the move to become an e-commerce business was a result of global trends.

weight2.jpg
According to reports, the weight loss company is aiming to be an e-commerce-driven model. Credit: Karolina Grabowska/Pexels

‘Like many other companies, we’re currently transitioning from a brick-and-mortar retail business to a customer-friendly, e-commerce-driven model,’ the spokesperson told reporters at the time.

‘We will have more details to share in the coming weeks as our plans are solidified.’

Reports also revealed that workers were unaware of the grim situation going on behind the scenes.

For the past two weeks, the business had been running out of money while it searched for a buyer. It was reported that the company was pursuing a sale due to cash flow problems.

Two current Jenny Craig corporate workers shared that they fear the company will file for bankruptcy by the end of the week. Neither Jenny Craig nor H.I.G. Capital has commented on the issue.

Jenny Craig has attracted millions of clients worldwide with specially-designed menus to help customers with their weight loss journeys. Over the past few decades, countless Aussie celebrities were brought on board to represent the brand, including Magda Szubanski, Jules Robinson, and Casey Donovan.

Global celebrity endorsers include Mariah Carey and the late Kirstie Alley.

Amid reports of its closure, there has been widespread speculation that the company has been impacted by the increasing popularity of weight loss drugs, such as Ozempic. It is also believed that their sales were affected due to the global trend of turning towards online services and away from in-person businesses.

Still, despite the challenging situation it faces, the company was seen posting job openings online as recent as last month.

It is unclear how this closure will impact employees and customers in Australia. However, there is speculation that franchise-owned locations may continue operations in international branches. We’ll keep you updated on new information as this news develops in the coming days.
Key Takeaways
  • Weight loss company Jenny Craig plans to shut down operations due to its inability to secure additional financing.
  • The company had amassed around $US250 million in debt and was considering filing for bankruptcy if a buyer could not be found.
  • Jenny Craig aims to transition to an e-commerce model amidst the shutdown of its physical operations.
  • The impact of the shutdown on Jenny Craig's Australian operations is still unknown, and it is possible that franchise-owned locations may remain in operation.
For those on a weight loss journey, have you used Jenny Craig’s services before? How has this news affected you? Feel free to share your story, questions and concerns in the comments below.

Sponsored
Sign of the times isn't it! Never used Jenny Craig, but I have a friend who buys their food, if she needs to lose weight. Not good really, as it's yo-yo dieting for her, which plays havoc with her metabolism.

I have Never used Jenny Craig . If I was going to use one it would be the CSRIO they have online help including recipes and it doesn't cost a fortune.

If you lose the weight they refund you . There are so many success stories by ordinary people.

I think by Jenny Craig using celebrities this actually pushed the cost way up.

I would take notice of ordinary people rather than the celebrities who have personal trainers and personal chefs

Reactions: Marj53 and RTS
For four decades, Jenny Craig has been a revolutionary force in the weight loss and nutrition industry, helping millions of clients worldwide make healthy lifestyle choices.

But now, the pioneering global brand is reportedly set to close its doors after it was unable to secure additional financing.

According to an email sent to US employees earlier this week, the company said it would close its doors, with many of its employees set to work their final day this Friday.

The email also informed staff members that they would receive their final pay, including their ‘full compensation earned through the last day of work and all accrued’ and unused paid leave.

It is believed that the company has amassed around US $250 million (AU $374,000,000) in debt and is reportedly even weighing up filing for bankruptcy.

View attachment 19033
Jenny Craig is set to close its doors after four decades of service. Credit: Shutterstock

Reports also stated that employees in one US office were notified last week that their store branch would close on June 24 or, possibly, as soon as this Friday.

The document said: ‘While we had to issue WARN Notices specifically for sites where we had more than 50 people potentially impacted, this will likely impact all employees in some manner.’

‘We do not know the exact employees/groups who will be impacted and if any employees may be retained. As a result, we would suggest that you anticipate that your employment may be impacted and begin to seek other employment,’ it continued.

All staff members also reportedly received a notice revealing that physical operations would be winding down due to the business wanting to evolve into an e-commerce model.

In the US, the WARN Act requires employers with at least 100 staff members to give workers 60 days’ notice of potential mass layoffs or worksite closures.

Founded in 1983 in Melbourne, Australia, by American husband-and-wife duo Jenny and Sidney Craig, the weight loss and nutrition business was bought by H.I.G Capital in 2019. It currently employs thousands of people in the US, with hundreds of centres across the globe, including in Australia.

Just last week, a spokesperson for the global weight loss company insisted that it was ‘business as usual’ and that the move to become an e-commerce business was a result of global trends.

View attachment 19034
According to reports, the weight loss company is aiming to be an e-commerce-driven model. Credit: Karolina Grabowska/Pexels

‘Like many other companies, we’re currently transitioning from a brick-and-mortar retail business to a customer-friendly, e-commerce-driven model,’ the spokesperson told reporters at the time.

‘We will have more details to share in the coming weeks as our plans are solidified.’

Reports also revealed that workers were unaware of the grim situation going on behind the scenes.

For the past two weeks, the business had been running out of money while it searched for a buyer. It was reported that the company was pursuing a sale due to cash flow problems.

Two current Jenny Craig corporate workers shared that they fear the company will file for bankruptcy by the end of the week. Neither Jenny Craig nor H.I.G. Capital has commented on the issue.

Jenny Craig has attracted millions of clients worldwide with specially-designed menus to help customers with their weight loss journeys. Over the past few decades, countless Aussie celebrities were brought on board to represent the brand, including Magda Szubanski, Jules Robinson, and Casey Donovan.

Amid reports of its closure, there has been widespread speculation that the company has been impacted by the increasing popularity of weight loss drugs, such as Ozempic. It is also believed that their sales were affected due to the global trend of turning towards online services and away from in-person businesses.

Still, despite the challenging situation it faces, the company was seen posting job openings online as recent as last month.

It is unclear how this closure will impact employees and customers in Australia. However, there is speculation that franchise-owned locations may continue operations in international branches. We’ll keep you updated on new information as this news develops in the coming days.
Key Takeaways

• Weight loss company Jenny Craig plans to shut down operations due to its inability to secure additional financing.
  • The company had amassed around $US250 million in debt and was considering filing for bankruptcy if a buyer could not be found.
  • Jenny Craig aims to transition to an e-commerce model amidst the shutdown of its physical operations.
  • The impact of the shutdown on Jenny Craig's Australian operations is still unknown, and it is possible that franchise-owned locations may remain in operation.
For those on a weight loss journey, have you used Jenny Craig’s services before? How has this news affected you? Feel free to share your story, questions and concerns in the comments below.
No never use them and would not. Also did do WW but gave them the boot as well. I now do my own keto way of eating and it costs me nothing. Just the cost of the food I eat. I am quite well for my age and though I have still struggled to lose weight I have very good blood work. I am currently almost carnivore and seeing even better results. Many women struggle due to hormone issues and being given the wrong advice

No never use them and would not. Also did do WW but gave them the boot as well. I now do my own keto way of eating and it costs me nothing. Just the cost of the food I eat. I am quite well for my age and though I have still struggled to lose weight I have very good blood work. I am currently almost carnivore and seeing even better results. Many women struggle due to hormone issues and being given the wrong advice
Yes I do Keto too and am not a fan of the pre-packaged, carb-loaded foods these companies push. They really prey on people's insecurities and have them pay immense sums of money for a not-really-balanced way of eating.

Reactions: RTS
From what I have read on another site it is Jenny Craig USA that is in trouble. It is said that Jenny Craig Australia and New Zealand are safe as all are independently owned. If I am wrong I apologise. But please dont publish such alarming stories unless factually checked with the company concerned. If Aus and NZ stores are safe you may have caused them unnecessary anguish and caused customers to leave when it isn't necessary

View attachment 19033

View attachment 19034

Key Takeaways

Reactions: DavidC57 and RTS
If I want to lose weight I eat a carrot every day, as well as regular food, and go for an early morning walk. It works slowly but surely, probably because I eat less snacks.

Reactions: Marj53