Is Coles' new cake range a steal or a rip-off? Find out why shoppers are up in arms!

The introduction of Coles' new celebration cake range has stirred up quite the conversation among Australian consumers.

With the launch of two new cakes, the supermarket chain aimed to sweeten up celebrations across the country.

However, a detail on the new offerings has left shoppers with mixed feelings, sparking a debate over the value of these festive desserts.

Coles released the Vanilla Koala Cake 583g ($29) and Snag Sausage Dog Cake 534g ($29)—a colourfully decorated chocolate log cake—and positioned these cakes as 'great value celebration cakes', suggesting that they are set to become a staple at family gatherings and parties.

Kate Roff, Coles General Manager for Bakery, expressed her confidence in the new range, stating, 'We are confident “Snag” will be a hit with kids and dog-lovers alike, and it is our hope the dog will become an iconic tradition for families at their get-togethers for years to come.'

‘We all know what it is like to spend hours in the kitchen when this time could be better spent celebrating with family and friends, which is why we are excited to offer great new cake options to help customers enjoy what matters most.’

‘Whether customers are celebrating a birthday, anniversary, or just in need of a sweet indulgence, we wanted to create options that not only taste amazing, but also bring a sense of fun and creativity to any occasion,’ she added.

photo (1).jpg
Coles released the Vanilla Koala Cake and Snag the Sausage Dog Cake, priced at $29 each. Credits: Coles

The new cakes will be available online and in stores across the country starting Friday, March 29.

However, despite the supermarket giant's assertion that the cakes are bound to be popular nationwide, some Coles customers have already criticised the pricing, contending that they are ‘not paying $29 for a cake’.

One customer shared her reaction on social media when she spotted the Vanilla Koala Cake while grocery shopping, and ‘thought it was so cute’.

‘I saw this cake and thought it was so cute, it had a really yummy centre, and I thought, “OK cool, how much is it?”’ she said.

‘I had a look at the price, and it was $29.’

‘It is literally the exact same size as the Coles Mud Cake,’ she continued, questioning the price difference compared to the Coles Mud Cake—priced at $6.40.

‘It’s just a sponge cake with jam. It’s only $29 because it’s “fancy” and aimed at parents,’ one commented.

‘These are mass-produced and kept frozen. $30 for a frozen cake is absurd,’ another argued.

‘It’s a lamington with eyes,’ a third said.

‘For $29, it better be fully organic, sprinkled with chia seeds, AND sing the Aussie anthem,’ another sarcastically demanded.

‘The price is not cute,’ a shopper shared.

‘$30 for a sponge cake is outrageous,’ another chimed.

However, despite concerns about the price being ‘too much’, some Aussies were willing to pay the premium, stating that the item was ‘too cute to resist’.

‘Yum, I’d buy one for my kid’s birthday,’ one asserted.

‘It’s very tasty, bought one last week,’ another shared.

The Vanilla Koala Cake is not the sole addition to Coles' cake selection, as the supermarket chain also introduced "Snag the Sausage Dog," available at the same price.

‘Snag’ is a chocolate sponge roll enveloped in milk chocolate, adorned with a face, chocolate buttons, and sprinkles.

A popular foodie on social media shared a video of the cake, and resonated on a more cheerful note among shoppers, with many expressing that they ‘need’ the treat.

‘Shut up and take my money!!’ one commented.

‘That’s adorable,’ another said.

Many Australians also drew parallels between 'Snag the Sausage Dog' and the United Kingdom's beloved 'Colin the Caterpillar' cake from Marks & Spencer.

This comparison sparked excitement among those who have longed for a similar product in Australia.

‘COLIN IN AUSTRALIA?!!! MY LIFE IS COMPLETE,’ one excited shopper exclaimed.

‘An Aussie version of Colin, I’m so excited,’ another agreed.

‘Can anyone confirm if this tastes like Colin the Caterpillar? I’ve always wanted to try that,’ a third asked.

‘IT’S COLIN THE CATERPILLAR IN DOG FORM,’ declared another.

‘It’s literally the same as a cult cake in the UK that we grew up with,’ one shared.

As Australians grapple with the debate surrounding the pricing of Coles' new celebrations cake range, another aspect of the supermarket giant's offerings has captured attention: the quality of its doughnuts.

While some consumers voice concerns over the cost-effectiveness of indulging in Coles' extravagant cakes, others find themselves disappointed by what they perceive as a decline in the standard of Coles' doughnuts.

These contrasting experiences underscore the multifaceted nature of consumer satisfaction and dissatisfaction with Coles' bakery products, prompting reflection on both the value and quality aspects of the supermarket's culinary offerings.
Key Takeaways
  • Coles launched a new range of celebration cakes, including a Vanilla Koala Cake and a chocolate log cake named Snag the Sausage Dog, priced at $29 each.
  • Consumers were divided on the pricing of the new cakes, with some considering them expensive compared to the $6.40 Coles Mud Cake.
  • Despite the price debate, some customers find the new cake designs ‘too cute to resist’, and are willing to purchase them for special occasions.
  • There are comparisons between the Snag the Sausage Dog cake and the cult British grocery item, Marks & Spencer’s Colin the Caterpillar, with Australians expressing excitement for the resemblance.
Have you tried the new Coles celebration cakes? Do you think they're worth the price, or would you rather stick to more traditional, cost-effective options? Share your cake stories and opinions in the comments below!

Reactions: Littleboy8
Sponsored
Where's @Joseph Gallina when you need him? He can demand that we don't eat this "rubbish".

I might have lost my sweet tooth over the years, so these overpriced items are not for me. But there is a concept called "freedom of choice". What ever floats your boat.

Our "nutritionist", @Joseph Gallina can float his own boat....the Titanic.

For that price you get a huge cake at Cosco. However it could give good ideas for cutting and decorating your own cake from the $6.50 mud cake. Just a tweak

Reactions: PattiB
Where's @Joseph Gallina when you need him? He can demand that we don't eat this "rubbish".

I might have lost my sweet tooth over the years, so these overpriced items are not for me. But there is a concept called "freedom of choice". What ever floats your boat.

Our "nutritionist", @Joseph Gallina can float his own boat....the Titanic.
He’s in the dementia post telling everyone sugar causes it.🤣

If you don't want to pay the price for convenience then just don't buy it and move on.