Is Bunnings in trouble? Customers complain about increasingly poor service and lack of staff

Everyone knows that Bunnings is THE go-to store for all your hardware needs. A one-stop shop for tradies, home renovators, and even amateur (or seasoned) DIYers like us here at the SDC – it's the perfect place to browse and find just what we need (plus a few things we didn't know we needed until we saw them!).

But lately, several customers have been noticing that something just doesn't seem right when they visit their local Bunnings store…

In particular, there seems to be a distinct lack of customer service – with many complaining they can never find anyone to help when they need assistance.

To make matters worse, reports have recently surfaced confirming the hardware giant is planning on cutting up to 300 jobs right before Christmas! With these job cuts coming after complaints about already poor service, one has to wonder if this decision will only make things worse for customers.

Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 10.40.20 AM.png
Bunnings is rumoured to be planning to lay off up to 300 workers in the weeks leading up to Christmas. Credit: YouTube/Bunnings Warehouse.

Many shoppers have taken to social media platforms such as Facebook over recent months to voice their concerns about the decline in customer service at Bunnings stores across the country.

Complaints range from long wait times at checkouts and difficulty finding staff members when needed. 'There's basically nobody there now,' one customer said on Facebook, with another adding, 'I've noticed there's been less of that lately, and I was hoping that things would go back to normal soon.'

Some people even went so far as accusing retail workers of putting in a 'half-hearted effort' or deliberately ignoring customers altogether! Ouch. No one likes feeling invisible or unimportant when out shopping.

Despite the wave of complaints, not every Bunnings customer had a problem, though.

'We love shopping at Bunnings. They always have friendly and helpful staff. We have never had any hassle finding someone to help us out,' wrote one customer in response to other comments.

Another agreed and added that she always found the staff at Bunnings to be 'happy and helpful', while a third went on to argue that the store's customer service is 'something other retail stores need to look at and follow'.

Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 10.40.12 AM.png
Bunnings is planning to digitise its training, human resources, and skills development programs. Credit: Pexels/Yan Krukov.

The communications, learning, and development teams at Bunnings were recently restructured as a step towards digitising the store's training, human resources, and skills development programs.

This, however, has been blamed by several shoppers as the reason why service quality has been declining.

'Digitising training and taking people out of training and communications is always a downfall for any company. Once training is digitised — the stuff-ups at work will become abundant! How sad they think digital training is best,' wrote one Bunnings shopper on social media.

'Yep, you're totally right,' another replied and agreed. 'I used to work at Bunnings, and honestly, their training is sub-par at the best of times. It's really going to be up the putt now. They never give sufficient time to complete online training as it is, so it's really not going to work!'
Key Takeaways

• Bunnings is planning to cut up to 300 jobs just before Christmas, which has been met with complaints from customers about the decline in customer service standards.
  • Some customers have complained that they have difficulty finding staff or that staff are unhelpful. Others, though, have praised Bunnings for their customer service, saying that staff are always friendly and helpful.
  • The job cuts are part of a post-pandemic review of the company's structure and support centre resourcing.
What do you think, members? Have you noticed any changes in customer service levels at your local Bunnings store lately? Have you been finding it more difficult to find staff when needed or been left feeling unassisted and ignored? We would love to hear from you, so please do not hesitate to get in touch by commenting below!

Wishing you all a happy and safe shopping experience in the future!

Sponsored
Yes I have, I always praised Bunnings for the ammount of staff on hand to help.

The last couple of visits I had trouble finding someone to ask where a certain item was.

And yes there are less checkouts open and longer lines although I did get through quickly and when I found a staff member they were still very helpful and friendly.

Reactions: Ricci and JayKay
I have always loved Bunnings but their website really needs to improve. We had been looking for certain items and the amount that is supposed to be in stock is always wrong. When we check about stock and it says ''yes in stock'', and you get there and there is none it's just so frustating.

Everyone knows that Bunnings is THE go-to store for all your hardware needs. A one-stop shop for tradies, home renovators, and even amateur (or seasoned) DIYers like us here at the SDC – it's the perfect place to browse and find just what we need (plus a few things we didn't know we needed until we saw them!).

But lately, several customers have been noticing that something just doesn't seem right when they visit their local Bunnings store…

In particular, there seems to be a distinct lack of customer service – with many complaining they can never find anyone to help when they need assistance.

To make matters worse, reports have recently surfaced confirming the hardware giant is planning on cutting up to 300 jobs right before Christmas! With these job cuts coming after complaints about already poor service, one has to wonder if this decision will only make things worse for customers.

View attachment 9645
Bunnings is rumoured to be planning to lay off up to 300 workers in the weeks leading up to Christmas. Credit: YouTube/Bunnings Warehouse.

Many shoppers have taken to social media platforms such as Facebook over recent months to voice their concerns about the decline in customer service at Bunnings stores across the country.

Complaints range from long wait times at checkouts and difficulty finding staff members when needed. 'There's basically nobody there now,' one customer said on Facebook, with another adding, 'I've noticed there's been less of that lately, and I was hoping that things would go back to normal soon.'

Some people even went so far as accusing retail workers of putting in a 'half-hearted effort' or deliberately ignoring customers altogether! Ouch. No one likes feeling invisible or unimportant when out shopping.

Despite the wave of complaints, not every Bunnings customer had a problem, though.

'We love shopping at Bunnings. They always have friendly and helpful staff. We have never had any hassle finding someone to help us out,' wrote one customer in response to other comments.

Another agreed and added that she always found the staff at Bunnings to be 'happy and helpful', while a third went on to argue that the store's customer service is 'something other retail stores need to look at and follow'.

View attachment 9646
Bunnings is planning to digitise its training, human resources, and skills development programs. Credit: Pexels/Yan Krukov.

The communications, learning, and development teams at Bunnings were recently restructured as a step towards digitising the store's training, human resources, and skills development programs.

This, however, has been blamed by several shoppers as the reason why service quality has been declining.

'Digitising training and taking people out of training and communications is always a downfall for any company. Once training is digitised — the stuff-ups at work will become abundant! How sad they think digital training is best,' wrote one Bunnings shopper on social media.

'Yep, you're totally right,' another replied and agreed. 'I used to work at Bunnings, and honestly, their training is sub-par at the best of times. It's really going to be up the putt now. They never give sufficient time to complete online training as it is, so it's really not going to work!'
Key Takeaways

• Bunnings is planning to cut up to 300 jobs just before Christmas, which has been met with complaints from customers about the decline in customer service standards.
  • Some customers have complained that they have difficulty finding staff or that staff are unhelpful. Others, though, have praised Bunnings for their customer service, saying that staff are always friendly and helpful.
  • The job cuts are part of a post-pandemic review of the company's structure and support centre resourcing.
What do you think, members? Have you noticed any changes in customer service levels at your local Bunnings store lately? Have you been finding it more difficult to find staff when needed or been left feeling unassisted and ignored? We would love to hear from you, so please do not hesitate to get in touch by commenting below!

Another scumbag company that puts profit before worker's

Reactions: tweed111 and Ricci
I haven’t found that at my local Bunnings. I was there early one morning recently when staff were obviously starting their shift, and was blown away by the number of employees who were coming into the store. I’ve always found the staff to be friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.

I have always loved Bunnings but their website really needs to improve. We had been looking for certain items and the amount that is supposed to be in stock is always wrong. When we check about stock and it says ''yes in stock'', and you get there and there is none it's just so frustating.
This is the thing that drives me nuts also.
I live 1hour 40 minutes from nearest Bunnings and on 3 occasions have driven this distance to discover the item that was stated as "in store" was not in stock.
Thought I'd be smart and do click and collect quite often the item I require is not available thru c/and/c.
And don't get me started on the paint desk, never any staff there.
Despite this I still love shopping at Bunnings, and Spotlight, my two favourite stores.

On the whole I find Bunnings staff pretty knowledgeable, though on one occasion being in a hurry I asked a lass for gyprock nails, she didn't know what gyprock was, I said plasterboard, she then bought me back a packet of clouts.
I said these are for fibrecement sheeting, but she continued arguing with me that I was wrong.
I learnt that it was better to go search for myself as in the long run it was quicker.

Since retiring I have all my projects (wife's choice) to do around the home .
I used to always go to Bunnings ,but not now .
Due to lack of help / assistance in store & the lack of updates on their web site I now go to other convenient stores .
For gardening / plants etc that is a Sunday drive to Virginia nurseries - great selection / prices & easy to talk to for help .
Painting - irrigation and sundries that is now a trip to Stratco . Very friendly & always someone there to ask if any problems .
The only reason We go to Bunnings now is if I need a couple of items when we stop for a sausage sizzle to help out local sporting clubs etc .

View attachment 9645

View attachment 9646

Key Takeaways

Dont worry peoples, They maybe planning on installing Computer touch screen at the end of each aisle and employ only one person to go around cleaning each screen, what with electronic stuff going in every where it wouldnt surprise me, needing only screen cleaners and shelf stackers and the odd few out the timber area would certainly cut down on the wages bill

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
The last time I went to Bunnings, a recently rebuilt, re-jigged fancy new superstore I wandered around like a little lost soul for what seemed hours, looking for someone to give me some advice. I never did find anyone so I left without making a purchase. This was a far cry from previous visits (before the upgrade) when it seemed like there was an assistant in every aisle. They have lost a customer as there is a Mitre 10 much closer to home. :(

• Sad
Reactions: Liz
Totally agree. There is a definite lack of staff lately. Why have a self service check out which is closed 9 out10 times we go there. Only two check outs open and they’re usually full of tradies with a trolley full. Also, wh is there such a small counter at the checkout?

My local Bunnings is a niche store. The staff are usually pleasant and once you know the layout of the store you can usually find what you want. You cannot get everything you want at a niche store but it serves me well. The nearest big Bunnings store is miles away and went under in the floods earlier this year and still isn't open. Wonder what happened to all their staff?

• Sad

View attachment 9645

View attachment 9646

Key Takeaways

Obviously with all their employees doing TV ads, there's no time to serve customers...DAH! 😂

• Haha
Finding staff to ask a query at Bunnings is always touch & go.
Often they are enjoying themselves having a good chat with each other.
However, when I find one they are always helpful.
Very sad to hear they are offloading staff.
Bunnings will probably reinstate casual staff so no holiday pay etc to save $

I've had the pleasure of being a member of Stay Casino for some time now, and it continues to impress me with its exceptional service and attention to detail. From the moment I registered, I was welcomed with open arms and treated to a wide range of games and features that kept me entertained for hours on end. As an Australian player, I appreciate the site's localized approach, with content and support tailored to my needs
You need to get a life luv.
Greeted with open arms and kept amused for hours gambling.
I guess small things amuse small minds.

Reactions: Penny4 and Ricci