Is Australia forcing welfare recipients to beg for assistance?

Services such as Centrelink from the government are crucial, especially with the soaring cost of living and the many day-to-day hardships more than 3 million Aussies living under the poverty line face.

But some observe that welfare recipients are repeatedly being made to relive and disclose their personal hardships as a requirement to access aid.

In a piece on The Conversation, Emma Mitchell, a postdoctoral research fellow at Western Sydney University and author of Making Life On Mean Welfare: Voices From Multicultural Sydney, shared the idea of ‘performing vulnerability’ as a key concept in action between the government and welfare recipients.

‘It’s not just about repeatedly describing personal hardship,’ she said.

‘It points to the expectation to describe hardship in particular ways that are recognisable — and hence believable — to support providers.’

Mitchell points out that the government’s welfare system requires recipients to be present in many training courses and programs ‘simply to receive their payments’.

pexels-photo-8078379.jpg
Emma Mitchell says ‘performing vulnerability’ is a concept at play in the government’s distribution of welfare to those in need. Credit: Pexels/MART PRODUCTION

Her book expounds on how performing vulnerability exacerbates disadvantages in the long run.

‘It does so by fostering mistrust between welfare users and providers, as well as tainting how people in need of support see themselves and their situation.’ she said.

Mitchell admits the focus of her piece is not an unfamiliar topic.

‘I know all too well what it is like to ask people to tell their stories of hardship yet again.’ she shared.

‘I also grew up in an impoverished family reliant on welfare to get by. I know firsthand what the impact of retelling stories of hardship can be, particularly when the audience is, as (academic Mark Peel) puts it, “someone who has the power to give or deny them something they need”.’

For her research, Mitchell scoured Sydney to talk with welfare workers and recipients to hear and understand their experiences.

One community welfare worker understood her point and offered their take.

‘(They) summed it up by saying: “They’re coming again feeling ashamed. They’ve knocked on someone’s door, to tell yet again how s***ty their situation is.”’

The worker said in response, they developed a tactic where they would lead their conversations with aid recipients by asking ‘Can you tell me your story?’

Afterwards, they would then say as a follow-up: ‘You’ve given me some insight, let’s formalise your story a little bit.’

Mitchell also recalled speaking to another worker who encountered an individual unwilling to share a bit more information to qualify for financial assistance.

‘That person doesn’t want to take responsibility,’ she remembered hearing from the worker.

In another instance, a third welfare worker expressed how sceptical they were of the recipient they interviewed.

pexels-photo-8078408.jpg
How much of your story are you willing to share in exchange for help? Credit: Pexels/MART PRODUCTION

The worker felt that the recipient ‘dramatised (their) situation’, but also stressed that it didn’t mean the recipient wasn’t ‘genuine’.

Mitchell’s encounters with the workers (and their interactions with welfare recipients) led her to a conclusion.

‘The willingness of people seeking assistance to disclose personal hardships and do so convincingly impacts on how deserving they may come across to those delivering support.’ she said.

‘The pressure to perform can overshadow encounters between welfare users and workers even when it doesn’t determine the outcome.’

On the other end, Mitchell also discovered the cost of recipients having to reveal personal hardships again and again to agencies.

Two women named Kane and Nessa (names changed, according to Mitchell) shared their experiences.

‘Often if you go to them [sic] sorts of people (welfare agencies) you’ve gotta put it all out there, that you’re homeless, that you got nothing, you got no friends, no family – and then they’re gonna go boom “alright” (you get the help you came for)…’ Kane said.

‘You gotta go down to those levels you know – it’s wrong.’

Nessa agreed: ‘Yeah, that’s what I had to do to get a house and it’s embarrassing.’

‘When you gotta expose everything and don’t want to, it’s, like, your dignity.’

pexels-photo-9532042.jpg
Mitchell says how much welfare recipients are willing to disclose details of their hardships and if they can do so convincingly impacts the outcome of their access to welfare. Credit: Pexels/Timur Weber

For Mitchell, when it comes to the stories people are willing to part with when they seek welfare assistance, it is important to take note that the act of emphasising your struggles to get much-needed financial help is not the same as faking one’s circumstances — especially when the system it occurs in reinforces performing vulnerability.

‘The most marginal welfare users get a great deal of practice performing their hardship. But knowing how to tell their story a certain way is not the same as pretending.’ she underscored.

‘Not only do people at the sharp end of the welfare system have to endure the hardships of poverty, but they must then recite it in a way that registers as genuine, pressing and beyond reprieve.’

‘A welfare system that demands disclosure of personal hardships — even when geared towards being supportive rather than suspicious — can undermine dignity and hold back those unwilling or unable to tell their story convincingly or in enough detail.’

Key Takeaways

• The welfare system in Australia often requires applicants to repeatedly disclose their personal hardships in order to receive support.
  • This can compound the cycle of disadvantage associated with receiving welfare in the long term, according to one expert.
  • The expectation to perform vulnerability can foster mistrust between welfare users and providers, as well as taint how people in need of support see themselves and their situation.
Resting her case, Mitchell shared the thoughts of one disability support pension recipient she interviewed: ‘You don’t have the flexibility that a rich person has to respond to crisis, so you have to beg for help. That takes time!’

‘And you know you’ll be judged like it’s your fault.’

What do you think of Mitchell’s observations? Do you agree that the way our government welfare system is set up can have the consequence of cutting off people who aren’t willing or unable to properly disclose their situations from aid?

Tell us your thoughts and opinions below!

Sponsored
I actually understand the questions they need to ask, unless you have something to hide it shouldn't be a problem.

I know someone who works for a charity and they get a large ammount of people going in for help with gas / electricity bills or food . They need to see bank statements, pay docket ect . The reason is because there are people that have money in the bank , yet try to get bills paid.

She said you wouldn't believe how many who are asking for help won't answer questions or show proof of income.

My health is bad, my mental state is bad and I need to apply for DSP soon .I've been seeing a psychologist for 18 months .

When it comes time to apply , yes it's going to be hard to state my health but I have nothing to hide and will repeat my problems.

I went from a working full time, cleaning my house from top to bottom and cooking up feast for family and friends to now being to unwell to work, not being able to do much of my everyday things.

Centrelink needs to be compassionate but they need to ask questions otherwise we will see more and more people ripping of the government.

Help needs to go to those who sincerely need it

Help should be available to those who need it without applicants being made to feel they are fighting an unfeeling bureaucracy. A lot of correspondence from Centrelink has a very punitive tone to it making people feel they are in the wrong. It would be more helpful if individuals were assessed as that - on an individual basis.

• Sad
Reactions: Macarj and Sloopy
Services such as Centrelink from the government are crucial, especially with the soaring cost of living and the many day-to-day hardships more than 3 million Aussies living under the poverty line face.

But some observe that welfare recipients are repeatedly being made to relive and disclose their personal hardships as a requirement to access aid.

In a piece on The Conversation, Emma Mitchell, a postdoctoral research fellow at Western Sydney University and author of Making Life On Mean Welfare: Voices From Multicultural Sydney, shared the idea of ‘performing vulnerability’ as a key concept in action between the government and welfare recipients.

‘It points to the expectation to describe hardship in particular ways that are recognisable — and hence believable — to support providers.’

Mitchell points out that the government’s welfare system requires recipients to be present in many training courses and programs ‘simply to receive their payments’.

View attachment 9947
Emma Mitchell says ‘performing vulnerability’ is a concept at play in the government’s distribution of welfare to those in need. Credit: Pexels/MART PRODUCTION

Her book expounds on how performing vulnerability exacerbates disadvantages in the long run.

‘It does so by fostering mistrust between welfare users and providers, as well as tainting how people in need of support see themselves and their situation.’ she said.

‘I know all too well what it is like to ask people to tell their stories of hardship yet again.’ she shared.

‘I also grew up in an impoverished family reliant on welfare to get by. I know firsthand what the impact of retelling stories of hardship can be, particularly when the audience is, as (academic Mark Peel) puts it, “someone who has the power to give or deny them something they need”.’

For her research, Mitchell scoured Sydney to talk with welfare workers and recipients to hear and understand their experiences.

‘(They) summed it up by saying: “They’re coming again feeling ashamed. They’ve knocked on someone’s door, to tell yet again how s***ty their situation is.”’

The worker said in response, they developed a tactic where they would lead their conversations with aid recipients by asking ‘Can you tell me your story?’

Afterwards, they would then say as a follow-up: ‘You’ve given me some insight, let’s formalise your story a little bit.’

Mitchell also recalled speaking to another worker who encountered an individual unwilling to share a bit more information to qualify for financial assistance.

‘That person doesn’t want to take responsibility,’ she remembered hearing from the worker.

In another instance, a third welfare worker expressed how sceptical they were of the recipient they interviewed.

View attachment 9948
How much of your story are you willing to share in exchange for help? Credit: Pexels/MART PRODUCTION

The worker felt that the recipient ‘dramatised (their) situation’, but also stressed that it didn’t mean the recipient wasn’t ‘genuine’.

Mitchell’s encounters with the workers (and their interactions with welfare recipients) led her to a conclusion.

‘The willingness of people seeking assistance to disclose personal hardships and do so convincingly impacts on how deserving they may come across to those delivering support.’ she said.

‘The pressure to perform can overshadow encounters between welfare users and workers even when it doesn’t determine the outcome.’

On the other end, Mitchell also discovered the cost of recipients having to reveal personal hardships again and again to agencies.

Two women named Kane and Nessa (names changed, according to Mitchell) shared their experiences.

‘Often if you go to them [sic] sorts of people (welfare agencies) you’ve gotta put it all out there, that you’re homeless, that you got nothing, you got no friends, no family – and then they’re gonna go boom “alright” (you get the help you came for)…’ Kane said.

Nessa agreed: ‘Yeah, that’s what I had to do to get a house and it’s embarrassing.’

View attachment 9949
Mitchell says how much welfare recipients are willing to disclose details of their hardships and if they can do so convincingly impacts the outcome of their access to welfare. Credit: Pexels/Timur Weber

For Mitchell, when it comes to the stories people are willing to part with when they seek welfare assistance, it is important to take note that the act of emphasising your struggles to get much-needed financial help is not the same as faking one’s circumstances — especially when the system it occurs in reinforces performing vulnerability.

‘The most marginal welfare users get a great deal of practice performing their hardship. But knowing how to tell their story a certain way is not the same as pretending.’ she underscored.

‘Not only do people at the sharp end of the welfare system have to endure the hardships of poverty, but they must then recite it in a way that registers as genuine, pressing and beyond reprieve.’

‘A welfare system that demands disclosure of personal hardships — even when geared towards being supportive rather than suspicious — can undermine dignity and hold back those unwilling or unable to tell their story convincingly or in enough detail.’

Key Takeaways

• The welfare system in Australia often requires applicants to repeatedly disclose their personal hardships in order to receive support.
  • This can compound the cycle of disadvantage associated with receiving welfare in the long term, according to one expert.
  • The expectation to perform vulnerability can foster mistrust between welfare users and providers, as well as taint how people in need of support see themselves and their situation.
Resting her case, Mitchell shared the thoughts of one disability support pension recipient she interviewed: ‘You don’t have the flexibility that a rich person has to respond to crisis, so you have to beg for help. That takes time!’

What do you think of Mitchell’s observations? Do you agree that the way our government welfare system is set up can have the consequence of cutting off people who aren’t willing or unable to properly disclose their situations from aid?

I fully agree with this.

Reactions: Macarj
Unfortunately, if you aren't prepared to tell your "story," how can you expect the person interviewing you to make an accurate assessment.
Common sense I would have thought.
They can only go by how much you are prepared to divulge
I am speaking from experience, I feel the ball is in your court, tell your story, no matter how hard that might be. Then if you feel their decision is unjust you can always ask for a review. Perhaps take somebody with you, who knows your story, as backup.

Yes, they need to ask the questions, no issue there. However, they shouldn't have to ask the same questions every time you have any interaction with them, it should be on file and they should read it. Ask for clarification of particular points, yes, ask if there are any changes to circumstances, again yes, but tell the entire history of why you need help every couple of weeks, no.

Yes, they need to ask the questions, no issue there. However, they shouldn't have to ask the same questions every time you have any interaction with them, it should be on file and they should read it. Ask for clarification of particular points, yes, ask if there are any changes to circumstances, again yes, but tell the entire history of why you need help every couple of weeks, no.
Yes, I do agree with you there, nobody likes having to repeat themselves over and over.
Centrelink do have a poor record of keeping information. I have been called in on 3 occasions over the years and accused of attempting to defraud, only for them to find the mitakes were by them. I was in there once for 4 hours, until they discovered they had filed the formation they required (which I supplied with my reference no)
in my daughter's file. No apology though.
On another occasion they stopped my husband, daughter and my pensions because they said I had not provided paperwork with regard to a joint property. I had provided this twice in paper form and third time say in their van that had travelled in to our country town, while the lass sat with me and put the information in by computer. Still 3 weeks later they stopped our payments. Our local member had them reinstated within a matter of hours and we never heard another thing about???
I've always said you need a degree in stupidity to work for Centrelink.

Luckily I have never had to deal with Centrelink unless you count being a pensioner a Centrelink hazard. But some in my family have had dealings with them & their useless computers. The whole system needs people who are not the dregs of intelligence working there, they also need empathy to deal with people but is that a step too far to expect that?

I agree it's not right for the genuine people doing it tough to have to continually jump through hoops, i tried to get temporary help when my husband had a kidney transplant, just until he went back to work, I was told there was worse people off than him.
There are generations of people rorting the welfare system, I worked in the welfare system for 30yrs before I retired, {not Centrelink} I had 3 generations of people never worked a day in their life getting benefits. they bugger it up for the honest people with real need.

• Sad
Reactions: debjane
Considering that business and factories and farmers, etc are begging for staff...and Some People are too lazy to get off their arse to work, would rather sit around moaning how the dole doesn't pay for a luxury lifestyle...couldn't possibly move to somewhere there is a paying job (my parents and myself have packed up and moved to get jobs, a better job, etc.. had to live apart sometimes until the other finds work and can move too...) About the best the government can do is cut the dole slightly and tell people they can do 2 days work, untaxed and unaffected payments! This would give them enough to live on (and the dole is supposed to be basic money to live on for short time until you find work, it's not supposed to be a "career" choice!) And hopefully while they work the 2 days, they discover it doesn't kill them to work, they make friends, they enjoy the activity and break from boredom (how many times have I heard 'I only smoke dope because I'm sooo bored!'), end up getting a fulltime job and get on with their lives productively!!! Wake up pollies... stop giving them more money to sit on their arse, they'll never get up!... put the extra money into childcare, single parents get it free while working and married couples get it heavily discounted...I'd rather supplement the workers with a work ethic that the dole bludger with their 8 to 12 kids that are never cared for properly or taught a work ethic!!

• Love
Reactions: debjane

View attachment 9947

View attachment 9948

View attachment 9949

Key Takeaways

It is a very sad country we are living in. Homeless, aged, disability and one's going through hardship get kicked to the curb. Humiliate and degrading treatments to them. Only one culture gets instant help. Shame on our Government.

Australua government needs to change the welfare system. Fir the kast 49 year no wekfarecreform has take place, the people who do not want to work, find all the excuses in the world to sponge the system, then you have the disable people who need to provide evidence of the obvious evidence that they do have a disability.
On the other hand you have the con artists that they know the system but they do not have much of a "disability", but they know how to get as much as they can get from the system.
One obvious issue is that there so many healthy people getting unemployed benefits and there so many jobs can't be filled, why? it is the case that employers are not willing to training people or it is the case that these recipients of the "dole" do not want to work. I do agree that the "dole" needs to support people in need, but not to maintain their "laziness". It is a big irony that when a person works all her/his life, Centrelink treats the person as second class citizen, when in fact these people were the ones who support the welfare system, meaning, paying tax all their working life, then to treat pensioners as "welfare recipients" is an insult to all the pensioners intelligence.
People who worked all their life's should retire with the some amount of money they were receiving at the rime of retirement. The system needs to be changa, but unfortunatelly none of the government's wants to take that step. It is a big, big step, but it us overdue, for the future of every citizen and the economy. Money does not grow in trees. We need more people in the workforce and less people depending on the "dole", to keep our future pensioners living in comfort or a least having a roof over the head, food on their tables, health system that can provide all their needs and support to live independently in their own place or in a nursing home, if needed.

Reactions: Marian M
It is very easy to call someone a dole bludger, whenever have you gone without.
Todays middle class could be on government assistance, it only takes bad health high rent
to make someone homeless.
With the basic necessities going up in price how does one feed, clothe and educate a family, hats off to those who can.
Stinker

View attachment 9947

View attachment 9948

View attachment 9949

Key Takeaways

Iam72 worked from the age of 14 don’t smoke ,don’t drink , worked more then the required hour , hardly had holidays and put more than required in super. Now I own my humble 3 bedrooms house and live very comfortably with my pension and super. So poeple don’t come and cry to me . It’s all about choice . Like Jean de la Fontaine fable of The Ant and the Grasshopper
I am the ANT

View attachment 9947

View attachment 9948

View attachment 9949

Key Takeaways

I get $288.00 a fortnight and have to declares my wife's income every 14 days even though it never changes. I am unable to work because of cancer definitely get treatment of a Leeper.

• Angry
Reactions: Marian M
It is necessary for Centrelink staff to ask questions, but only once should do. What I don’t like is the attitude of most people who work in Centrelink offices, they look down their noses at clients and make people feel inferior because they need help, you would think the staff were paying the money not government. I also don’t like the seating arrangement in my local office, clients are made to sit and wait with their backs to the staff. Why? I can only guess it is because the staff like to stuff around and they don’t want clients who are waiting up to 45-60 minutes to see someone every time they need to go to a Centrelink office to watch them and know they are being fobbed off as long as possible. I have seen people have to get up and leave without being seen by a staff member because they have wasted too much time waiting and have other things to do. Thankfully I can do most of my stuff online so rarely have to go into an office.

View attachment 9947

View attachment 9948

View attachment 9949

Key Takeaways

It is necessary for Centrelink staff to ask questions, but only once should do. What I don’t like is the attitude of most people who work in Centrelink offices, they look down their noses at clients and make people feel inferior because they need help, you would think the staff were paying the money not government. I also don’t like the seating arrangement in my local office, clients are made to sit and wait with their backs to the staff. Why? I can only guess it is because the staff like to stuff around and they don’t want clients who are waiting up to 45-60 minutes to see someone every time they need to go to a Centrelink office to watch them and know they are being fobbed off as long as possible. I have seen people have to get up and leave without being seen by a staff member because they have wasted too much time waiting and have other things to do. Thankfully I can do most of my stuff online so rarely have to go into an office.
I did not have a scenarios with Centrelink but with my Agedcare staff ,speaking to a couple of staff members ,repeating myself ,the same answers to apply for a Aged care package,which they said will take a while ,i answered that I may be dead by then ,so I suggested ,I write my own r recommendations and email /post to them to explain my reasons why i would like a aged care package

I have no respect for Centrelink and I don't mean the workers there we tried to get job seeker we met all criteria but they Knocked us back you can't speak to anyone, even if they're wrong the decision is made and there is no recourse

Unfortunately, if you aren't prepared to tell your "story," how can you expect the person interviewing you to make an accurate assessment.
Common sense I would have thought.
They can only go by how much you are prepared to divulge
I am speaking from experience, I feel the ball is in your court, tell your story, no matter how hard that might be. Then if you feel their decision is unjust you can always ask for a review. Perhaps take somebody with you, who knows your story, as backup.
Ultimately the person interviewing you doesn't make the decision