Is ALDI still the budget-friendly retailer it once was? Shopper shares $60 haul and sparks debate

We all love a good bargain, and when it comes to shopping, saving money is always a top priority.

Whether you are buying groceries, clothing, or electronics, finding the best deal can make a big difference in your budget.

Shopping around to compare prices and looking for go-to stores for bargains and cheap buys can help you stretch your dollars and get the most value.

When it comes to keeping costs low, one of the go-to retailers for budget-conscious shoppers is often ALDI. They offer lower prices on grocery essentials, making it one of the first places many turn to for affordable shopping.

However, does the German retailer still live up to its reputation as the go-to budget-friendly retailer?

One shopper recently shared the contents of their haul from their local ALDI store on the ALDI Mums Facebook group. For a total of $58.95, they purchased various items, including bread, wraps, minced beef, pies, cheese, ham, bolognese sauce, chicken slices, flour, and yoghurt.

image.jpg
The ALDI shopper’s purchases at her local store. Credit: Facebook/ALDI Mums.

While some members of the group believed that ALDI's prices have increased significantly, others remained unconvinced.

One person wrote: 'ALDI isn't as cheap as it used to be, unfortunately.’

'I've noticed that it's pretty much the same as Woolies and Coles now,' added another.

A third chimed in: ‘It’s cheaper for some things but not others. You need to look at the catalogues for Woolies and Coles to try and find what’s the cheapest at any given time.’

‘Whenever I go shopping at any of the big 3 (Coles, Woolies, or ALDI), I feel like I’m being robbed in broad daylight. It’s atrocious.’

Despite some believing that the price of items has increased, others pointed out that ALDI is still cheaper than some of its competitors in certain areas.

One user pointed out: 'ALDI prices have gone up, but so have Woolies and Coles, so most things are still a fair bit cheaper.’

Others also argued that the haul shown could last for at least three meals, making it a reasonable purchase.

One comment read: ‘I actually think this represents good value.’

Meanwhile, others pitched in with their horror stories from other grocery stores. One member recalled her husband buying just three items for $45 at Woolworths and being 'speechless' when she told him that the total was actually $95.

‘Reminds me of when we went to the shops the other night and hubby added a few things that weren’t on the list,’ another shared.

‘I asked him out of curiosity how much he thought the shop cost. He said $50-60 max with the price increases. He was speechless when I told him it was $95.’

Key Takeaways
  • A shopper's ALDI haul sparked debate over whether the retailer remains budget-friendly.
  • Some members of the ALDI Mums Facebook group claimed that ALDI's prices have increased, making them similar to those at Woolworths and Coles.
  • Others argued that ALDI is still cheaper than its competitors for specific items and that the shopper's haul represented good value.
  • Several group members shared their own shopping experiences and price shock stories from other grocery stores.

With some insisting the haul is good value and others sharing anecdotes about jaw-dropping grocery bills, it seems like the debate on whether ALDI is still a budget-friendly haven is still up in the air.

Ultimately, we suggest keeping an eye on catalogues and staying informed about the latest deals across all your favourite stores.

Shopping around and comparing prices can be crucial in making sure you get the best bang for your buck and keep your budget on track.

According to some experts, budget-friendly retailers still exist in these trying times. Feel free to read more about their reviews here.

So, members, what do you think? Is this $60 ALDI haul a bargain or overpriced? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Prices have gone up everywhere. I would like to see the same items purchased at the other big players and then a comparison made. I do my in-laws groceries at Coles and my own household at Aldi. We come out way ahead and have more mouths to feed here. Its hard for everyone so l would leave the sweet treats out of the basket next time and find something cheaper, healthier or home made.

Prices have gone up everywhere. I would like to see the same items purchased at the other big players and then a comparison made. I do my in-laws groceries at Coles and my own household at Aldi. We come out way ahead and have more mouths to feed here. Its hard for everyone so l would leave the sweet treats out of the basket next time and find something cheaper, healthier or home made.
The load of items for
the items for $60 seems very reasonable to me!!!!!

I don’t shop regularly at Aldi, usually only for certain items. I find on the whole what they sell is not as good quality as the other supermarkets, it feels like I’m buying home brand or no name products. Some things are good, my DIL won’t buy any other nappies than Aldi. But I have been disappointed quite a few times.

Prices at coles and Woolies have increased dramatically but I agree that Aldi has prices comparable with them now. No longer is it considerably cheaper to shop there. Quite a few things are either the same price or only 1 cent cheaper. I prefer coles because of variety (not just one brand ) and also I don’t have to pack my own bags. I was prepared to do this to save $$$ but at the same price I don’t think it’s viable.

We all love a good bargain, and when it comes to shopping, saving money is always a top priority.

Whether you are buying groceries, clothing, or electronics, finding the best deal can make a big difference in your budget.

Shopping around to compare prices and looking for go-to stores for bargains and cheap buys can help you stretch your dollars and get the most value.

When it comes to keeping costs low, one of the go-to retailers for budget-conscious shoppers is often ALDI. They offer lower prices on grocery essentials, making it one of the first places many turn to for affordable shopping.

However, does the German retailer still live up to its reputation as the go-to budget-friendly retailer?

One shopper recently shared the contents of their haul from their local ALDI store on the ALDI Mums Facebook group. For a total of $58.95, they purchased various items, including bread, wraps, minced beef, pies, cheese, ham, bolognese sauce, chicken slices, flour, and yoghurt.

View attachment 17049

While some members of the group believed that ALDI's prices have increased significantly, others remained unconvinced.

'I've noticed that it's pretty much the same as Woolies and Coles now,' added another.

A third chimed in: ‘It’s cheaper for some things but not others. You need to look at the catalogues for Woolies and Coles to try and find what’s the cheapest at any given time.’

‘Whenever I go shopping at any of the big 3 (Coles, Woolies, or ALDI), I feel like I’m being robbed in broad daylight. It’s atrocious.’

Despite some believing that the price of items has increased, others pointed out that ALDI is still cheaper than some of its competitors in certain areas.

One user pointed out: 'ALDI prices have gone up, but so have Woolies and Coles, so most things are still a fair bit cheaper.’

Others also argued that the haul shown could last for at least three meals, making it a reasonable purchase.

Meanwhile, others pitched in with their horror stories from other grocery stores. One member recalled her husband buying just three items for $45 at Woolworths and being 'speechless' when she told him that the total was actually $95.

‘Reminds me of when we went to the shops the other night and hubby added a few things that weren’t on the list,’ another shared.

‘I asked him out of curiosity how much he thought the shop cost. He said $50-60 max with the price increases. He was speechless when I told him it was $95.’

Key Takeaways

• A shopper's ALDI haul sparked debate over whether the retailer remains budget-friendly.
  • Some members of the ALDI Mums Facebook group claimed that ALDI's prices have increased, making them similar to those at Woolworths and Coles.
  • Others argued that ALDI is still cheaper than its competitors for specific items and that the shopper's haul represented good value.
  • Several group members shared their own shopping experiences and price shock stories from other grocery stores.

With some insisting the haul is good value and others sharing anecdotes about jaw-dropping grocery bills, it seems like the debate on whether ALDI is still a budget-friendly haven is still up in the air.

Ultimately, we suggest keeping an eye on catalogues and staying informed about the latest deals across all your favourite stores.

Shopping around and comparing prices can be crucial in making sure you get the best bang for your buck and keep your budget on track.

According to some experts, budget-friendly retailers still exist in these trying times. Feel free to read more about their reviews here.

So, members, what do you think? Is this $60 ALDI haul a bargain or overpriced? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
Why buy bolognaise sauce when you could stock your pantry with ingredients to make it for the same price but probably get 3 or more meals from it?

Aldi is still good value in comparison to the other supermarkets, but prices have increased on some Aldi items too. It’s not just the odd 20cents here and there either. Some items in Coles and Woolies are up by 25% or more. Cost of some items leave me wondering just what is going on.
🙄

View attachment 17049

Key Takeaways

Aldi "tricks" you .... they have some things in "packets" with a dollar price.... sometimes there's 400gms NOT half a kilo so you think it is cheaper - when you do the MATH - dollar value divided by 4, then timed by 5 it works out it's THE SAME price as 500gms worth at Woolies or Coles - say for e.g. ..... TOMATOES .... so you aren't saving at all

View attachment 17049

Key Takeaways

I shopped at Aldi today and their yummy Silver Spoon Ice cream has gone up more than a dollar. Hence, I didn't buy it because it's a luxury now. Lots of items have gone up but I still find some things are cheaper there than at Woolies.

View attachment 17049

Key Takeaways

not on the cheap list now.

Why???? are you doing your in-laws grocery shops at Coles and yours at Aldi? You have come to the decision that Aldi is cheaper so why not shop where it's cheaper for them as well.

Prices have one up everywhere so I shop at Aldi, Coles, Woolworths, IGA, Supabarn (some NSW stores & ACT only).

I also check the catalogues every Monday online about 5.30-6.00pm when they release their up-coming catalogue sale that starts every Wednesday. I also check in-store Woolworths deli counter and fresh meat section for chicken sale prices, plus the items that I utilise as not everything is advertised on sale but is on sale in store.

It's a case of shopping around and one Westfield has Aldi, Coles and Woolworths, plus butchers, chicken shop, fruit market .. etc..

I also support fruit markets as they have faster turn-around of veggies & fruits and more variety as well. Plus, often they are cheaper.

Reactions: Argie
You are lucky you have the choice of shopping at Aldi. Every time I walk into Woolies for a "few things"it costs $60.

Reactions: Tawnyrose

View attachment 17049

Key Takeaways

Aldi is slightly cheaper on some items, BUT you need to look at the package weight/size - sometimes the closer the store the cheaper the weekly shop due to fuel costs. Always compare the weekly catalogues.

Reactions: Thecheesequeen
I counted at least 10 meals worth of protein in the trolley items I could see. Protein has always been expensive I think if she purchased the same items at Coles or Woolies she'd be paying a lot more.
Where do you see 10 meals of worth of protein in that lot? I can see one packet of mince and one of chicken that could make a main meal - the ham and cheese are more lunches or snacks.

Why do you see so many photos and videos on the web which have been printed in mirror image? As an engineer I find this particularly annoying in videos of people undoing screws instead of doing them up.

You have to remember that if a product is short supply, it won’t be that cheap even at Aldi. Currently onions are expensive.