Is ‘Australian Made’ a giant scam?

We all love to be patriotic and support Australia, but what does it actually mean when a product is labelled as "Australian made"? You'd be forgiven for thinking this was a silly question.

"Australian made" just means that the product has been manufactured in Australia, right?

Well, no.

View attachment 1640
Is it a scam? Image source: The Seniors Discount Club.

According to the AMCL (the managers of the familiar green and gold kangaroo logo we're all so familiar with), "A product can be described as 'Australian made' or 'made in Australia' if it underwent its last substantial transformation in Australia.

That means that a product doesn't need to be entirely, or even majority made in Australia to be technically considered ‘Australian made’ (and thus, be entitled to use the Australian made logo).

The AMCL cites the following example on its website:

“A business buys imported plastic pellets and wire. Through an injection moulding process, the pellets are melted and formed into a bucket. The wire is cut and bent to form a handle. The end product (the bucket) is fundamentally different to all the imported ingredients. The product has been substantially transformed in Australia.”
saHVLozflXsCihm8pGQ435z-842o4EuWmwf92SH9WuAuiVXfmWyJmNurmMHlx9LJ3qoeTW2z0EK9v-eiunU-Z9HeuhxqVc4vqBvTBiQDM290NlaXmbYrA_ub7z6ex2KWTYre5Miz

Image source: Australianmade.com.au.

In the above example, none of the materials in the ‘Australian made’ bucket are actually made in Australia, but the product is still legally considered to be Australian made because the plastic and wire was ‘transformed’ in Australia.

Just to be crystal clear on this point: As bizarre as it may sound, there is no requirement for a percentage of the ingredients or components to come from Australia when determining whether a product is Australian made. Nor is there any requirement that a certain proportion of the cost of manufacturing the product is incurred in Australia (there was previously a requirement that at least 50% of the manufacturing cost had to be incurred in Australia, but this was removed in 2017).

There are likely thousands of ‘Australian made’ products out there that contain zero Australian materials (some of which we're probably paying a premium for to 'be patriotic'). Do you think the definition of ‘Australian made’ needs to be changed?
It’s not only products like the bucket. Whilst that example to me, is cheating, at least it’s not likely to harm anyone.

My main concern lies with food products. I recently became aware of what I consider to be a massive scam perpetrated by New Zealand. You look for the country of origin, and find Product of New Zealand. However, apparently there’s an arrangement between New Zealand and China, whereby New Zealand imports fresh frozen food from China. It is then packed in New Zealand.

We used to buy frozen berries and other things because New Zealand is our next door neighbour, so we can trust them, right? We never buy anything purporting to be made in New Zealand now, because it probably comes from China, where hygiene standards are often well below what we in Australia would consider mandatory.

We check country of origin on everything now, from butter to a mattress. It pays to become educated.

Thanks to the ACCC and "Choice", amongst other protagonists, new labelling laws requires the logo to contain the percentage of Australian content in an article's manufacture.
Words such as "Made in Australia from contents sourced in {this country} " and "Manufactured in Australia from 80% local materials" are regular on labels.
@Topher super interesting stuff, is this on all products, or mostly food?

Well that obviously needs to change!!
The way I see it is that many years ago when perceptions on globalisation were different to now, we in Australia gave away our manufacturing capability because we were unable to compete with imports. We all know what happened after that - so the fact that someone has had the courage to start manufacturing buckets (as par the example given) and furniture and other items, means entrepreneurial efforts towards local manufacturing are on the rise again in Australia.
They need to be supported by us all, in the hope that eventually a greater proportion of the product will be made in Australia- we have to start again somewhere!
I for one will continue to support Australian Made’ products on this basis.

The way I see it is that many years ago when perceptions on globalisation were different to now, we in Australia gave away our manufacturing capability because we were unable to compete with imports. We all know what happened after that - so the fact that someone has had the courage to start manufacturing buckets (as par the example given) and furniture and other items, means entrepreneurial efforts towards local manufacturing are on the rise again in Australia.
They need to be supported by us all, in the hope that eventually a greater proportion of the product will be made in Australia- we have to start again somewhere!
I for one will continue to support Australian Made’ products on this basis.
@DrivingGirl I actually think this is a really good approach. This is why I was on the fence about this information. I understand it's not ideal, but at least it's being made here and potentially providing Aussies with jobs?

Reactions: DrivingGirl
I am fairly sure the Australian made is a bit of a scam, especially when you see Australian made labels with "Made in China" on them so you have to be very aware that's all. The thing with 'Made in Australia' I have found is quality, it is just not there any more, I have just built a house and was intending on building an "All Australia Made House", furniture, appliance's, building materials etc. The problem I found is lack of quality and hefty price tag, pretty much EVERY SINGLE THING I had in this house that is/was Australian made has FAILED and the house is only two years old. I just think if Australian business is going to spruke how good it's products are then make sure they are that good. I got to a stage doing this house that I just went and purchased overseas products as they were more reliable in the end and cheaper. Stove from UK, Fridge from Japan, Fans from Germany, Floor from Korea etc. We looked around Australia and found the product we wanted then looked at where we could buy it instead of Australia. You get charged a premium Australian made price and get inferior products, so yes we are being ripped off as far as Australian made is concerned. The other thing is Australian made products offer a 12 month warranty, most overseas products offer 2 - 5 year warranty.
Pick your game up Australian business, you are doing yourself no favours ripping people off.
Like shop local campaigns, if business want us to shop local then stop ripping off the locals. it's that simple.
David

Last edited:

We all love to be patriotic and support Australia, but what does it actually mean when a product is labelled as "Australian made"? You'd be forgiven for thinking this was a silly question.

"Australian made" just means that the product has been manufactured in Australia, right?

Well, no.

View attachment 1640

According to the AMCL (the managers of the familiar green and gold kangaroo logo we're all so familiar with), "A product can be described as 'Australian made' or 'made in Australia' if it underwent its last substantial transformation in Australia.

That means that a product doesn't need to be entirely, or even majority made in Australia to be technically considered ‘Australian made’ (and thus, be entitled to use the Australian made logo).

“A business buys imported plastic pellets and wire. Through an injection moulding process, the pellets are melted and formed into a bucket. The wire is cut and bent to form a handle. The end product (the bucket) is fundamentally different to all the imported ingredients. The product has been substantially transformed in Australia.”
saHVLozflXsCihm8pGQ435z-842o4EuWmwf92SH9WuAuiVXfmWyJmNurmMHlx9LJ3qoeTW2z0EK9v-eiunU-Z9HeuhxqVc4vqBvTBiQDM290NlaXmbYrA_ub7z6ex2KWTYre5Miz

In the above example, none of the materials in the ‘Australian made’ bucket are actually made in Australia, but the product is still legally considered to be Australian made because the plastic and wire was ‘transformed’ in Australia.

Just to be crystal clear on this point: As bizarre as it may sound, there is no requirement for a percentage of the ingredients or components to come from Australia when determining whether a product is Australian made. Nor is there any requirement that a certain proportion of the cost of manufacturing the product is incurred in Australia (there was previously a requirement that at least 50% of the manufacturing cost had to be incurred in Australia, but this was removed in 2017).

There are likely thousands of ‘Australian made’ products out there that contain zero Australian materials (some of which we're probably paying a premium for to 'be patriotic'). Do you think the definition of ‘Australian made’ needs to be changed?

well said
You can buy all the products needed to make/manufacture that bucket in Australia.
It would just be far to expensive thanks to wages unions and the like who keep pushing up the cost of living and wages etc..

Thanks to the ACCC and "Choice", amongst other protagonists, new labelling laws requires the logo to contain the percentage of Australian content in an article's manufacture.
Words such as "Made in Australia from contents sourced in {this country} " and "Manufactured in Australia from 80% local materials" are regular on labels.
I know that rules applies to food products but does it apply to the makers of the bucket?

I concur with good morning. I have friends who run a souvenir wholesale business. They employ 3 people, all with family. They all spend their wages in Australia. They also have several couriers who also spend their wages in Australia. The businesses that they supply have staff who also spend their wages in Australia. They would love to be able to buy all of their products in Australia but the truth of the matter is the prices that these Australian made products cost would leave them with a very small profits margin. Having said that I am a huge reader of labels at the grocery store and will always buy Australian made where possible.

It would be terrific if we could bring back more manufacturing to Australia. I fear that logistically that won't happen.

Reactions: Maddison Dwyer
I'm still so shocked about this definition, I genuinely had no idea it changed in 2017? I'm all about supporting Australian made but I wonder to what extent? Can't wait to see what everyone has to say about this, I'm very much on the fence!
I thought (and I know I have seen it on lables) that the product is suppossed to state "made (or assembled) in Australia from imported (or Australian) products"

Well, no.

View attachment 1640

Absolutely change the definition. I go out of my way and pay extra for Australian made. Not any more

Food labelling is possibly the worst.
Packed on. Use by. Best before.
In Qld (when I worked in the industry) if a product says Use By it must also state Packed On.
However, at a food safety meeting once we asked a FSANZ (Food Standards Aus NZ) rep what Best Before meant....blank look.

• Wow
I'm still so shocked about this definition, I genuinely had no idea it changed in 2017? I'm all about supporting Australian made but I wonder to what extent? Can't wait to see what everyone has to say about this, I'm very much on the fence!
What would you expect. we have been looking for cheap and turned up nose at Oz made until our manufacturing industry either closed or went over seas. Now we are all anti China and no manufacturers left in Australia. But if we keep supporting these companies the suppliers will realize that once again there is a market for raw materials here and will start up again. It will be a slow process but something we should remember.

ALL products should have where the ingredient/content comes from. Australian made is all very well but should be shown if it's made from all Australian or imported content.

All labels should say Australian made with materials from 'wherever' so we can make an informed decision on what to buy...

Made in Australia is one thing ok, also include Manufactured in Australia if that described the article. Both promote Australian jobs. We are no longer a manufacturing nation as we once were. The rot set in during the 50's and has continued ever since. What we do still make, we do very well, and we pay a premium for that quality, which many people either won't or cannot afford to do. :cool::cool:

You can buy all the products needed to make/manufacture that bucket in Australia.
It would just be far to expensive thanks to wages unions and the like who keep pushing up the cost of living and wages etc..
whenever wages go up $10 EVERYTHING has to go up too, transport costs (because the drivers wages come into the wage hike) food (because the worker's wages have gone up, and also, that little bit extra because transport costs are up to deliver the initial materials and also to deliver the end product to the shops) fuel costs go up to compensate for the wage increase so therefore transport costs have to go up to cover the extra fuel cost.
$10 wage increase has SUCH a widespread follow-on (increase in overheads for the businesses like insurance, worker's compo, power supply etc etc, the list of follow-ons goes on and on) but without the wage increase you can't afford the things you need.
$10 means $12-$13 extra to find to buy things

it's really like a dog chasing its tail.

Last edited:

Well, no.

View attachment 1640