Iron Maiden's former vocalist Paul Di'Anno (66) passes away

The music world has been struck with a poignant loss.

Paul Di'Anno, the former frontman of the iconic rock band Iron Maiden, passed away at the age of 66.

Famous for his raw vocals and dynamic stage presence, Di'Anno's death marked the end of an era for fans of the heavy metal group.

Paul Di'Anno's representatives confirmed his passing in a statement, sharing that the singer died in his home in Salisbury, England.

In a group statement, Iron Maiden expressed deep sorrow over Di'Anno's passing and acknowledged his immense contribution to the band's legacy.

Born Paul Andrews, Di'Anno joined Iron Maiden in 1978.

He lent his voice to the band's first two albums—their self-titled album, Iron Maiden (1980) and Killers (1981).

compressed-paul di'anno.jpeg
Paul Di'Anno with Iron Maiden's Steve Harris (left) and Di'Anno playing shows in a wheelchair (right). Image Credits: Wikipedia

These albums shaped the sound of heavy metal music in the early '80s and have inspired countless musicians and bands that followed suit.

Di'Anno's unique vocals quickly became a defining feature of Iron Maiden's early sound.

However, after a series of internal concerns, cancelled shows and inconsistent live performances, Di'Anno parted ways with Iron Maiden in 1981.

Bruce Dickinson subsequently replaced him.

Despite the split, Di'Anno's contributions to Iron Maiden and the metal scene were significant.

In a 2020 interview with Metal Hammer, Di'Anno reflected on his time with Iron Maiden.

'I could not give 100 per cent to Maiden anymore, and it wasn't fair to the band, the fans or myself,' Di'Anno shared.

He also expressed pride in the work he did with the band.

'The two albums I made with the band were pivotal to the metal genre. Later on, when I met Metallica, Pantera and Sepultura, and told me that those albums got them into music, it made me incredibly proud,' he added.

After Iron Maiden, Di'Anno continued to make music as he led bands like Battlezone and Killers.

He also released music as a solo artist and made several guest appearances.

His career retrospective album, The Book of the Beast, was released last month, which celebrated his career highlights since leaving Iron Maiden.

In the 2010s, Di'Anno faced a series of health challenges, including a knee surgery in 2014 that led to him performing in a wheelchair.

He also experienced a cancer scare, which turned out to be a non-malignant abscess.

Watch Iron Maiden's performance of 'Remember Tomorrow' featuring Di'Anno here:

Source: @fritz5135/YouTube

Despite the difficulties, Di'Anno continued to perform and showed resilience and dedication to his craft and his fans.

His representatives' statement highlighted Di'Anno's perseverance and shared how he performed over 100 shows since 2023.

They invited Di'Anno's fans to raise a glass in his memory in honour of a man who lived for the music and his fans.
Key Takeaways

• Paul Di'Anno, the former vocalist of the rock band Iron Maiden, has passed away at the age of 66.
  • Di'Anno was the vocalist during Iron Maiden's first two albums and contributed significantly to the band's early success.
  • His representatives and family confirmed his death, and he passed away at his home in Salisbury, England.
  • Despite health issues in recent years, Di'Anno continued to perform live and entertained fans around the world.
Paul Di'Anno's passing is a significant loss for the music community. His voice and spirit will live on through the music he created, which continues to inspire and energise fans, old and new.

May he rest in peace.

Sponsored
I'm a huge Maiden fan, so very saddened to hear this but his health was compromised for a long time, still far too young. Rest in peace dear Paul, condolences to family & fans.
🙌 🌷

Attachments

• Paul.jpg
    Paul.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Sad
Reactions: Veggiepatch