Investigation launches after common medications allegedly link to life-threatening diseases

The modern age has brought us many conveniences, including a plethora of medications to treat various ailments.

However, it's becoming increasingly clear that some of these medical marvels may come with hidden costs to our health.

A recent revelation has surfaced that could potentially affect thousands of Australians, particularly those over 60 who are more likely to rely on long-term medication.

A class action lawsuit is brewing, with claims that common prescription and over-the-counter medications, specifically those designed to treat heartburn and gastric reflux, have been linked to serious health risks such as stomach cancer and kidney damage.

This news is particularly alarming for the estimated 100,000 Aussies who may be eligible to join the lawsuit, seeking compensation for the alleged harm caused by these drugs.

shutterstock_2499118483.jpg
The investigation has been launched after common prescription and over-the-counter drugs have been found to be allegedly linked with stomach cancer and kidney failure. Credit: Shutterstock

To be eligible for the class action, individuals must 'have been diagnosed with stomach cancers or kidney failure after you started taking one (or more) of the PPI drugs'.

The medications in question are known as proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), and they include widely recognised names such as Nexium or Nexium 24HR (esomeprazole), Losec (omeprazole), Somac (pantoprazole), Pariet (rabeprazole), and Zoton FasTabs (lansoprazole).

While some of these require a prescription, others are available over the counter, making them easily accessible to a broad segment of the population.

Craig Allsopp, Joint Head of Class Actions at Shine Lawyers, said PPIs 'reduce the amount of acid made by the stomach and are used to treat acid reflux and stomach ulcers'.

'PPIs are some of the most-prescribed medicines on the market, and consumers typically take PPIs for longer periods and at higher doses than recommended,' he added.

However, this suppression of stomach acid can lead to an increase in gastrin levels, a hormone that, when elevated, has been linked to the formation of cancer cells.

The potential gastric cancers associated with these drugs include neuroendocrine tumours and adenocarcinomas, while the suspected kidney injuries range from acute kidney injury to chronic kidney disorder and kidney failure.

These are serious conditions that can significantly impact one's quality of life and, in some cases, be life-threatening.

The Melbourne-based law firm Shine Lawyers has taken the helm of this class action investigation, partnering with US law firm Milberg Coleman Bryson Phillips Grossman.

They are examining whether drug manufacturers failed to adequately inform consumers about the risks associated with PPIs.

‘The class action will explore whether there is a claim for statutory safety defects, breaches of guarantee and/or negligence by the manufacturers, like AstraZeneca and Merck,' Allsopp said.

It's worth noting that AstraZeneca has already settled kidney claims related to Nexium and Prilosec (marketed as Losec in Australia) for a staggering $637 million in the United States.
Key Takeaways

• Common medications for heartburn and gastric reflux, known as proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), have been allegedly linked to serious health risks such as stomach cancer and kidney failure.
  • A class action investigation has been launched by Melbourne-based law firm Shine Lawyers, with an estimated 100,000 Australians potentially eligible for compensation.
  • The investigation will focus on whether the manufacturers of these drugs, including well-known brands like Nexium, Losec, and Somac, failed to adequately inform consumers about the potential risks associated with their use.
  • A significant settlement has already been reached in the United States, where AstraZeneca paid $637 million in relation to kidney claims against their drugs Nexium and Prilosec (marketed as Losec in Australia).
Have you or a loved one experienced any adverse effects from taking PPI medications? Share your story with us in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
What I want to know is WHY HAVE THEY NOT BEEN REMOVED FROM SALE !!!
The simple answer is that the benefits far outweigh the theoretical harms - & by a massive degree. We have a FDA which would remove them from chemist shelves if this was seriously an issue.

Even if these harms were beyond doubt, because they are in fact so rare, most people would still choose the benefit of the tablets because the true absolute numbers of cancers & serious kidney complications ACTUALLY attributable to PPIs is very, very low.

Before PPIs, every day, in every hospital in Australia, there were of the order of 10's of patients with ulcer-related haemorrhage, peritonitis from perforations, & pancreatitis from the penetrating ulcer complications. Thousands of partial or total stomach removals were performed annually to deal with the ulcer complications with considerable quality-of-life complications as a result. Now, it's simply managed with tablets well before these serious complications set in. The quality of life & health-system savings are massive.

As others have noted, SDC reporting & headlines are not often A1 level journalism. Clickbait is one term which comes to mind.
Also, remember that it's the 99% of bad lawyers that give the other 1% a bad name. This appears to be a fishing exercise on the part of the lawyers, using alarmist reporting to try & generate income from unfortunate people.

I had been taking Nexium for 20years for reflux treatment before I found out that it can contribute to colon cancer due to how the body works. As soon as I found this out out I got off the drug. The information available for the Nexium is that you should only take this medication for no more than 6 months . Its interesting that not a single Doctor in 20 years blinked when giving me a repeat prescription for Nexium.
My eldest son had been prescribed Nexium for 12 years. I was shocked when he mentioned that. It’s appalling how many doctors will just prescribe the quick fix instead of trying to determine the underlying cause.

Thankfully he stopped taking it and found that by changing his diet (trial and error), he is able to do away with PPI’s (proton pump inhibitors).

Every drug can have side effects, every drug has the possibility of harming you in some way, even paracetamol or aspirin.

These drugs are not causing problems for everyone, the numbers are extremely small, one study of over 1.2 million people showed no difference in cancer rates.

The class action is not that the drugs are causing these things, it's about patients not being informed that it's a possibility they may cause these things.

They are far less dangerous than many other drugs on the market and are a necessity for many people.
Your comment is very irresponsible and shows how little you know.

….one study of over 1.2 million people showed no difference in cancer rates.”

One study?!? Who sponsored the study? The pharmaceutical companies that manufacture PPI’s?

Just by saying, “studies show this or that”, can state anything. It’s important to back up the claims of “studies” to ensure they are reputable and reliable.

Better to err on the side of caution.

I feel I had a life threatening event about 2 and half years ago. I had been taking Nexium, twice daily for reflux. My husband witnessed me having a seizure, and an ambulance was called asap. Whilst in the car, and er, I had further convulsions. I was transferred to a larger hospital with an ICU bed available. The cause was hyponatrsemia . I had near fatal levels of sodium in my body, and the level was 118. A string of scans, EEG, blood tests were done. At the time, the doctors only knew that I had a severe kidney problem, with no apparent cause. I was on fluid restriction, and salt tablets for months, not to mention the constant blood tests, and cancellation of my drivers license for 6 months. I was warned by an anaesthetist, that he had no doubt that Nexium was the culprit, and I was warned never to touch it again. I recovered, but renal function tests are not great, and I thank my lucky stars, that I was observed having the seizures, or it would have been fatal. I live in fear of poor renal function, and how close to death I was. I cannot believe that it can be purchased over the counter, with no obvious warning on the label. I will seek legal advice. Gezabel.

Every drug can have side effects, every drug has the possibility of harming you in some way, even paracetamol or aspirin.

These drugs are not causing problems for everyone, the numbers are extremely small, one study of over 1.2 million people showed no difference in cancer rates.

The class action is not that the drugs are causing these things, it's about patients not being informed that it's a possibility they may cause these things.

They are far less dangerous than many other drugs on the market and are a necessity for many people.
Give it a rest! :rolleyes:

Reactions: DLHM and Macarj
I am on drugs for different reasons and I know every side affect before I even started on them the fact is every body should know how their body reacts to things I have always been aware of my body, metabolism and any reaction to food and drugs luckily for me I have never had a reaction to anything I have ever taken

Reactions: DLHM and Abby2
I have been taking Nexium for years with prescription from Dr. I had to have part of my stomach removed and was advised by the hospital that it was caused by excessive acids buildup, after reading this article I am having doubts as to the actual cause for the surgery and further treatment - Thank you SDC for the information

Reactions: Abby2
I feel I had a life threatening event about 2 and half years ago. I had been taking Nexium, twice daily for reflux. My husband witnessed me having a seizure, and an ambulance was called asap. Whilst in the car, and er, I had further convulsions. I was transferred to a larger hospital with an ICU bed available. The cause was hyponatrsemia . I had near fatal levels of sodium in my body, and the level was 118. A string of scans, EEG, blood tests were done. At the time, the doctors only knew that I had a severe kidney problem, with no apparent cause. I was on fluid restriction, and salt tablets for months, not to mention the constant blood tests, and cancellation of my drivers license for 6 months. I was warned by an anaesthetist, that he had no doubt that Nexium was the culprit, and I was warned never to touch it again. I recovered, but renal function tests are not great, and I thank my lucky stars, that I was observed having the seizures, or it would have been fatal. I live in fear of poor renal function, and how close to death I was. I cannot believe that it can be purchased over the counter, with no obvious warning on the label. I will seek legal advice. Gezabel.
There are heaps of causes for hyponatrsemia, including MDMA (ecstasy) use, SSRIs and other antidepressants, hypothyroidism, renal failure and cirrhosis. Even drinking too much water!

The body fluid/body solute level of below 135 milliequivalents per litre is indicative of hyponatrsemia. That's why you are on supplementary salt.

The onset of hyponatrsemia is dependent on the duration of PPI administration. It is evident that long term PPI users are very unlikely to experience hyponatrsemia as compared to recently prescribed patients.

How long have you been prescribed Nexium?

Reference: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36380227/

Reactions: DLHM
I had been taking Nexium for 20years for reflux treatment before I found out that it can contribute to colon cancer due to how the body works. As soon as I found this out out I got off the drug. The information available for the Nexium is that you should only take this medication for no more than 6 months . Its interesting that not a single Doctor in 20 years blinked when giving me a repeat prescription for Nexium.
Doctors are trained to hand out pills and our medical system is corrupt.

I have been prescribed Pantoprazole for years and my symptoms have worsened markedly over time. My doctor is initiating investigations to determine the cause of the many digestive problems I have. Old age is probably a major cause! It is becoming harder and harder to find any treatments for conditions that don't end up making the condition worse. How many patients actually read all the way through the tiny print that is on the Patient Information leaflet sometimes included with medications? Not all medications even provide them! I was told by one pharmaceutical company many years ago that they were only required to make this information available to the pharmacies and it was then up to the pharmacies to pass this on to the customers on request. What a joke! In the meantime the pharmaceutical companies get richer and richer while the patients get poorer and sicker. We are supposed to be able to rely on our doctors to prescribe safe and effective medications but do they actually know this or are they relying on what the pharmaceutical companies tell them? And is it reasonable to expect them to know exactly what the right medication is for any individual person? How many times is the patient told that we can 'try' a medication and see if it works? Have we become immune to the changes that occur in our bodies when something doesn't seem right and just learn to live with it instead of returning to the doctor for further advice? Is this even possible for some people who may already be over burdened with essential bills for life necessities and may not have the capacity to keep paying for doctor consultations? Somebody mentioned the diet factor and I think this is a very valid point. We seem to have become a society that just assumes that because a food is offered for sale it must be safe. What about the actual nutritional value and the impact of whatever chemicals may have been used to produce it? Some foods are treated with chemicals to preserve them before even making it to the shops. Do we know what they are and what impact they could have on the human system? So many, many questions! I think I'd like to find a desert island and live on wild coconuts and bananas!!!

The Therapeutic Goods Authority (TGA) stipulates that the pharmaceutical company (sponsor) must make available a Consumer Medicines Information (CMI) sheet. There is no legal requirement for a sponsor to supply a CMI sheet WITH the medication.

This can be provided through the TGA website or the CMI database in the eBusiness Services (<---- link provided).

Hope this helps.

Reactions: DLHM and Abby2

Agree

A bit concerning as I take Nexium for GORD.An article on alternatives would be handy.

According to the FDA, using Nexium for a long period of time may increase the risk of inflammation of the stomach lining1. At least one study showed long term use of Nexium and other PPIs could also increase the risk of death1. The FDA warns that patients should never take Nexium 24HR for more than 14 days at a time1. Nexium is safe for short-term use, but it can be quite hazardous to take it for a prolonged period of time

Dear Jack, Please be careful with this medication, I am very sorry I didn't question why my husband was taking Losec for so long. For many months before he passed away, he could not keep any food or fluid in his stomach. It was heartbreaking.

• Sad
Reactions: steamyjack