Investigation launches after common medications allegedly link to life-threatening diseases

The modern age has brought us many conveniences, including a plethora of medications to treat various ailments.

However, it's becoming increasingly clear that some of these medical marvels may come with hidden costs to our health.

A recent revelation has surfaced that could potentially affect thousands of Australians, particularly those over 60 who are more likely to rely on long-term medication.

A class action lawsuit is brewing, with claims that common prescription and over-the-counter medications, specifically those designed to treat heartburn and gastric reflux, have been linked to serious health risks such as stomach cancer and kidney damage.

This news is particularly alarming for the estimated 100,000 Aussies who may be eligible to join the lawsuit, seeking compensation for the alleged harm caused by these drugs.

shutterstock_2499118483.jpg
The investigation has been launched after common prescription and over-the-counter drugs have been found to be allegedly linked with stomach cancer and kidney failure. Credit: Shutterstock

To be eligible for the class action, individuals must 'have been diagnosed with stomach cancers or kidney failure after you started taking one (or more) of the PPI drugs'.

The medications in question are known as proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), and they include widely recognised names such as Nexium or Nexium 24HR (esomeprazole), Losec (omeprazole), Somac (pantoprazole), Pariet (rabeprazole), and Zoton FasTabs (lansoprazole).

While some of these require a prescription, others are available over the counter, making them easily accessible to a broad segment of the population.

Craig Allsopp, Joint Head of Class Actions at Shine Lawyers, said PPIs 'reduce the amount of acid made by the stomach and are used to treat acid reflux and stomach ulcers'.

'PPIs are some of the most-prescribed medicines on the market, and consumers typically take PPIs for longer periods and at higher doses than recommended,' he added.

However, this suppression of stomach acid can lead to an increase in gastrin levels, a hormone that, when elevated, has been linked to the formation of cancer cells.

The potential gastric cancers associated with these drugs include neuroendocrine tumours and adenocarcinomas, while the suspected kidney injuries range from acute kidney injury to chronic kidney disorder and kidney failure.

These are serious conditions that can significantly impact one's quality of life and, in some cases, be life-threatening.

The Melbourne-based law firm Shine Lawyers has taken the helm of this class action investigation, partnering with US law firm Milberg Coleman Bryson Phillips Grossman.

They are examining whether drug manufacturers failed to adequately inform consumers about the risks associated with PPIs.

‘The class action will explore whether there is a claim for statutory safety defects, breaches of guarantee and/or negligence by the manufacturers, like AstraZeneca and Merck,' Allsopp said.

It's worth noting that AstraZeneca has already settled kidney claims related to Nexium and Prilosec (marketed as Losec in Australia) for a staggering $637 million in the United States.
Key Takeaways

• Common medications for heartburn and gastric reflux, known as proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), have been allegedly linked to serious health risks such as stomach cancer and kidney failure.
  • A class action investigation has been launched by Melbourne-based law firm Shine Lawyers, with an estimated 100,000 Australians potentially eligible for compensation.
  • The investigation will focus on whether the manufacturers of these drugs, including well-known brands like Nexium, Losec, and Somac, failed to adequately inform consumers about the potential risks associated with their use.
  • A significant settlement has already been reached in the United States, where AstraZeneca paid $637 million in relation to kidney claims against their drugs Nexium and Prilosec (marketed as Losec in Australia).
Have you or a loved one experienced any adverse effects from taking PPI medications? Share your story with us in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
My husband had been on Somac for years and then was switched to Nexium. 2 years ago he needed a nephrectomy to remove not 1, not 2 but 3 cancers from his kidney. I was on Somac for several years then stopped taking it. I am currently waiting for a peritonectomy to remove a tumour the size of a 2L milk bottle from my stomach.

I took Nexium for maybe a year until my doctor put me on Somac , I've been on that for a couple of years and strangely my kidney function test has been going down each 3 months. My doctor thought it might be happening due to the ammount of antibiotics I took over 2 years .
Now I'm wondering if it could be Somac.

Thank you @sdc for this information

Screenshot_20241017_080027_Gallery.jpg

My husband had been on Somac for years and then was switched to Nexium. 2 years ago he needed a nephrectomy to remove not 1, not 2 but 3 cancers from his kidney. I was on Somac for several years then stopped taking it. I am currently waiting for a peritonectomy to remove a tumour the size of a 2L milk bottle from my stomach.
😲

What I want to know is WHY HAVE THEY NOT BEEN REMOVED FROM SALE !!!
Every drug can have side effects, every drug has the possibility of harming you in some way, even paracetamol or aspirin.

These drugs are not causing problems for everyone, the numbers are extremely small, one study of over 1.2 million people showed no difference in cancer rates.

The class action is not that the drugs are causing these things, it's about patients not being informed that it's a possibility they may cause these things.

They are far less dangerous than many other drugs on the market and are a necessity for many people.

Because they are profitable!
Every drug can have side effects, every drug has the possibility of harming you in some way, even paracetamol or aspirin.

These drugs are not causing problems for everyone, the numbers are extremely small, one study of over 1.2 million people showed no difference in cancer rates.

The class action is not that the drugs are causing these things, it's about patients not being informed that it's a possibility they may cause these things.

They are far less dangerous than many other drugs on the market and are a necessity for many people.

I have been on pantaprazole for years. I take a tablet every day. Now I am worried!

Why are they still being prescribed & on the shelf for sale. Unbelievable!! People need to know that most of their diet issues including reflux etc is due to what they eat. Look at your diet first!!! The western world has the worst diet issues in the world!
There are many reasons why acid maybe a problem for people, it's not just the food we eat. Do some study on the matter before commenting.

I had been taking Nexium for 20years for reflux treatment before I found out that it can contribute to colon cancer due to how the body works. As soon as I found this out out I got off the drug. The information available for the Nexium is that you should only take this medication for no more than 6 months . Its interesting that not a single Doctor in 20 years blinked when giving me a repeat prescription for Nexium.