Internet expresses support for woman who shares her reasons on why she decided to not have a baby

A video of a Sydney-based social media user has made the rounds on social media after she revealed a list of reasons why more and more women are refusing to have a baby.

Maria, who shared a lengthy clip on TikTok, said that a number of factors — such as the "apocalypse" — have led her to not want to have kids.

Credit: TikTok/@m.a.r.i.aaaaaaaa

The 21-year-old said in the video: “Reasons I will not be having children. Number one, I don’t want to."

“Number two, I don’t want my belly to change. I don’t want my organs to move, there’s going to be something stuck in there for nine months."

“Scary things can happen to a woman during pregnancy – you can lose your hair, you can lose your teeth. I don’t want that."

“Number three, what if I don’t like them? Kids are going to grow up, and have their own thoughts and opinions. What if they’re really annoying and I actually hate my child? What if they become an alpha male with a podcast? What do I do then?”

Maria also said that the pandemic or in her words, "the threat of a future apocalypse", is another reason for her to not conceive a baby,

“The world is in a bad place. Realistically, we could be left without food in the next 25 years. Do I want to worry about myself [and] a child? No.”

She also described giving birth as a "scary thing" that causes some "women to die".

Maria quipped: “You rip down to your a**hole and then doctors stitch you up and add an extra stitch for your husband so he can have pleasure.”

"I wouldn’t change my mind about my decision not to procreate."

ROrvUu8Dzz3ohrD6UPu2DWlP5UTnJDx9CYV4Bayp6txlLJ3d_WG3otdmagZAgh6mL8pYnRfQor1l_E2hHafqo2SnINF4oE-I6g-eJjzXM17zJdyEKkacmk39WIzac7pn6ss6LVz8PhFmdUit
AdIlmYT4wOYqRMOH6Z5Y6_i_prWSIClTQEH-ixJ-rM56tDirFV-KoVLtW_9G7wzjitrO9dZV5npSRq-yzrGAdjrfkDmm6ohWrhys1yoO9OcSwfN5DvgMSm5zfj0-UY6rs-tqUjv8kHpFjC03

A number of female social media users agreed with Maria’s reasons for choosing not to have kids. Credit: TikTok/@m.a.r.i.aaaaaaaa.

The video has gained traction on TikTok, amassing more than 665,000 views and over 3,000 comments, with many women agreeing with Maria's reasons.

One woman wrote: "Pregnancy is the biggest nightmare on earth. It has literally not one single positive aspect to it.”

“It’s just not worth it to me,” another added.

A third joked: "I'd rather be that childless fun, rich aunt."

A number of users pointed out the double standards that Maria had to mention to justify her unwillingness to have a child.

One comment read: “As a mum, you shouldn’t have had to pass the first one. ‘I don’t want to’ is a very valid reason! It’s your life and your body.”

“When I think about it, it’s crazy that women need to justify themselves for not wanting kids. Like men don’t need to justify. So why do we have to?!” another added.

A third chimed in: “Honestly! And I’m sick of the comments that we’ll change our mind.”

For some, the decision not to have children is a response to the mounting evidence of the devastating impact of human activity on the environment. With the world facing an unprecedented climate crisis, many young people feel a responsibility to do what they can to reduce their carbon footprint – and for some, that means not having children.

Others cite the high cost of living as a reason for not starting a family. With the cost of housing, childcare and education skyrocketing in many parts of the world, it’s no wonder that young people are reconsidering whether they can afford to have children.

Director of Oxford University’s Institute of Population Ageing and falling birthrates expert, Professor Sarah Harper said that the population is dwindling, explaining: “For the last 200 years we’ve been having fewer and fewer children … as you improve the health of women and offer education they decide to have fewer children.”

“They’re now really in control of their child-bearing in a way they weren’t for so many generations.”

What are your thoughts on this? Are these concerns about not having children valid? Let us know your opinions in the comments below!

Reactions: BJM and Ricci
Sponsored
Having children or not it’s a very personal decision, and should be respected as any other things in life.
Her honesty is to be commended. It’s more acceptable to me a person not wanting to be a parent, than if someone falls pregnant, then because it was an “accident“, that life is taken through abortion!!
Or someone falls pregnant and because the child was not wanted, it will never be loved. That’s my opinion.
For a child to come into the world, has to be wanted and then be loved.

Reactions: Sloopy and Ricci
Internet expresses support for woman who shares her reasons on why she decided to not have a baby

A video of a Sydney-based social media user has made the rounds on social media after she revealed a list of reasons why more and more women are refusing to have a baby.

Maria, who shared a lengthy clip on TikTok, said that a number of factors — such as the "apocalypse" — have led her to not want to have kids.

The 21-year-old said in the video: “Reasons I will not be having children. Number one, I don’t want to."

“Number two, I don’t want my belly to change. I don’t want my organs to move, there’s going to be something stuck in there for nine months."

“Scary things can happen to a woman during pregnancy – you can lose your hair, you can lose your teeth. I don’t want that."

“Number three, what if I don’t like them? Kids are going to grow up, and have their own thoughts and opinions. What if they’re really annoying and I actually hate my child? What if they become an alpha male with a podcast? What do I do then?”

Maria also said that the pandemic or in her words, "the threat of a future apocalypse", is another reason for her to not conceive a baby,

“The world is in a bad place. Realistically, we could be left without food in the next 25 years. Do I want to worry about myself [and] a child? No.”

She also described giving birth as a "scary thing" that causes some "women to die".

Maria quipped: “You rip down to your a**hole and then doctors stitch you up and add an extra stitch for your husband so he can have pleasure.”

ROrvUu8Dzz3ohrD6UPu2DWlP5UTnJDx9CYV4Bayp6txlLJ3d_WG3otdmagZAgh6mL8pYnRfQor1l_E2hHafqo2SnINF4oE-I6g-eJjzXM17zJdyEKkacmk39WIzac7pn6ss6LVz8PhFmdUit
AdIlmYT4wOYqRMOH6Z5Y6_i_prWSIClTQEH-ixJ-rM56tDirFV-KoVLtW_9G7wzjitrO9dZV5npSRq-yzrGAdjrfkDmm6ohWrhys1yoO9OcSwfN5DvgMSm5zfj0-UY6rs-tqUjv8kHpFjC03

A number of female social media users agreed with Maria’s reasons for choosing not to have kids. Credit: TikTok/@m.a.r.i.aaaaaaaa.

The video has gained traction on TikTok, amassing more than 665,000 views and over 3,000 comments, with many women agreeing with Maria's reasons.

One woman wrote: "Pregnancy is the biggest nightmare on earth. It has literally not one single positive aspect to it.”

A number of users pointed out the double standards that Maria had to mention to justify her unwillingness to have a child.

One comment read: “As a mum, you shouldn’t have had to pass the first one. ‘I don’t want to’ is a very valid reason! It’s your life and your body.”

“When I think about it, it’s crazy that women need to justify themselves for not wanting kids. Like men don’t need to justify. So why do we have to?!” another added.

A third chimed in: “Honestly! And I’m sick of the comments that we’ll change our mind.”

For some, the decision not to have children is a response to the mounting evidence of the devastating impact of human activity on the environment. With the world facing an unprecedented climate crisis, many young people feel a responsibility to do what they can to reduce their carbon footprint – and for some, that means not having children.

Others cite the high cost of living as a reason for not starting a family. With the cost of housing, childcare and education skyrocketing in many parts of the world, it’s no wonder that young people are reconsidering whether they can afford to have children.

Director of Oxford University’s Institute of Population Ageing and falling birthrates expert, Professor Sarah Harper said that the population is dwindling, explaining: “For the last 200 years we’ve been having fewer and fewer children … as you improve the health of women and offer education they decide to have fewer children.”

“They’re now really in control of their child-bearing in a way they weren’t for so many generations.”

What are your thoughts on this? Are these concerns about not having children valid? Let us know your opinions in the comments below!

When I was growing up my biggest fear was to have a baby...such as big thing to go through such a small exit seemed impossibly painful and scary, so from that point of view I agree with Maria. I also agree with her fears regarding the state of the world and bringing children into it. However these problems have been around since the beginning of time and likely to continue so it should be a personal choice whether to procreate or not (my opinion).

She could have summed up her comments in one "I'm selfish." That's all I heard when I was reading her reasons, it was all me, me. What if her husband/partner wants kids? Who does she think is going to fund her retirement? I could go on but really her attitude astounds me, so many of the youth of today are so self centered and don't seem to be able to think beyond "me".:(:rolleyes:;)

She could have summed up her comments in one "I'm selfish." That's all I heard when I was reading her reasons, it was all me, me. What if her husband/partner wants kids? Who does she think is going to fund her retirement? I could go on but really her attitude astounds me, so many of the youth of today are so self centered and don't seem to be able to think beyond "me".:(:rolleyes:;)
If anyone is selfish Ricci, it’s you! How can you expect your children to fund your retirement? If someone doesn’t want children then they should find a partner (should they want one) who doesn’t want children as well. The world is not a pleasant place right now and being a parent is one of the hardest job and not everyone is good at it.

If anyone is selfish Ricci, it’s you! How can you expect your children to fund your retirement? If someone doesn’t want children then they should find a partner (should they want one) who doesn’t want children as well. The world is not a pleasant place right now and being a parent is one of the hardest job and not everyone is good at it.
When I said who would fund the retirement I was talking generally as in the next generation, not her kids in particular. The less kids there are paying tax the less the pot will be for things like pensions, health etc etc. As to finding a partner, you can't help who you fall in love with, unless you are really callous and go out with a tick list and choose to suit, then is it love or a business contract. Being a parent is hard, probably the hardest job you will ever do but it is also the most rewarding. I agree, not everyone is good at it, but none of us know until we try. Kids don't come with an instruction booklet, we do the best we can and hope and pray that it is enough, but there are no guarantees.

• Love
Reactions: Defiant540 and Elbe
Seems to me like that is a very sound reason not to have kids!
A young relative with whose behaviour I had not been very impressed for some time went up a notch in my estimation when she declared that she was not going to have children because she was too selfish to give them the kind of attention and care they deserved. It wasn't that she didn't like kids, she simply knew that she would not be a good mother because she would always put her own wants ahead of their needs. She's nearly 50 now, doesn't seem to have any regrets about her decision, and has been a wonderfully caring auntie to her nieces and nephews, but her lifestyle certainly would not have accommodated having children of her own.

Reactions: Kgee and Ricci
I agree with you, Ricci. I wonder whether the 'me, me, me' generation have the ability to think of anyone else.... I wonder if it occurs to them that their own mother (and millions more through the centuries) took all those risks (and far more in many cases) .... I wonder if they are able to consider what will happen to the human race if everyone becomes that self centred ...... and, I know that (if they're lucky) one day these attention seeking, self righteous, self centred know-it-alls will get old. Then, it WILL be interesting!

Seems to me like that is a very sound reason not to have kids!
A young relative with whose behaviour I had not been very impressed for some time went up a notch in my estimation when she declared that she was not going to have children because she was too selfish to give them the kind of attention and care they deserved. It wasn't that she didn't like kids, she simply knew that she would not be a good mother because she would always put her own wants ahead of their needs. She's nearly 50 now, doesn't seem to have any regrets about her decision, and has been a wonderfully caring auntie to her nieces and nephews, but her lifestyle certainly would not have accommodated having children of her own.
Great, recognise those traits in yourself and act on them, don't dress them up in all manner of guises.

From a male point of view I think this young lady her own point of view, nomatter what others think,it's none of our business , it's totally hers🤔🇦🇺👍

Reactions: Ricci
If a person feels like this then she is definitely doing the right thing. I know so many women in their 40s who never wanted kids and are living a happy, contented life. Also know quite a few young ones who had kids for the welfare cheque then spend the money on tats, drugs and alcohol while their kids are being fed at school. Better to have less kids who are truly loved than more who are neglected and abused.