Instant Noodles Alert: Discover the Shocking Health Truth That Every Aussie Nurse Is Begging You to Know!

As the temperature drops and we find ourselves reaching for quick and comforting food options, instant noodles often become a go-to choice for Aussies young and old. They're cheap, they're easy, and they're ready in a flash. But before you tear open that next packet of instant noodles, there's a grave warning from healthcare professionals that you need to hear.

Instant noodles, while convenient, have been flagged as a significant hazard, particularly for the youngest members of our families. It's not just about the nutritional content, which is a conversation for another day, but the immediate physical danger they can pose.

compressed-shutterstock_1704354499.jpeg
Instant noodles are a popular snack in Australia but can pose a scalding risk for toddlers and children. Credits: Shutterstock

In a recent Instagram post that has caught the attention of many, a nurse has highlighted a lesser-known risk associated with these quick eats: scald burns in toddlers and children. The nurse's warning comes on the heels of a concerning report from NSW health authorities. In just one week, five children were admitted to the hospital with scald burns from instant noodles. The injuries were often severe, affecting sensitive areas like the thighs or genital region, resulting from accidental spills of the boiling liquid.

The scenarios are frighteningly easy to imagine: a child pulling a bowl from the counter, unaware of the danger, or an accidental tip of the bowl while eating on their lap. Toddlers, curious and eager to explore, can suffer burns by simply pulling a container down from a bench or table.

But it's not all doom and gloom. The nurse also shared some practical tips to help prevent these accidents. One key piece of advice is to drain the hot water from the noodles before serving them. By rinsing the noodles in cold water for a few seconds, you can significantly reduce the risk of burns and make the noodles safe to eat without a lengthy cooling period.

For older children and adults, the advice is straightforward but crucial: always eat hot foods like soupy noodles at a table, not on your lap in front of the TV. It's a simple change that can prevent painful injuries. After all, it's much better to save the couch for cooler treats like ice cream.

Dr. Torey Lawrence, head of the burns unit at The Children's Hospital at Westmead, has previously emphasized the dangers of boiling water in hot noodle containers. It can take up to an hour for the water to cool down to a safe temperature after cooking. For children, whose skin is thinner than adults', even a small spill can lead to deep, severe burns and lifelong scarring.

In the unfortunate event of a burn, remember that cool running water is the only proven, effective treatment. Immediate first aid is crucial and includes placing the burn under cool running water for 20 minutes, removing any clothing or jewellery if possible, and avoiding the application of ice, creams, or other substances. And, of course, seek medical help immediately if you have any concerns, dialling 000 in the event of an emergency.
Key Takeaways

• Instant noodles are a popular snack in Australia but can pose a scald burn risk for toddlers and children.
  • Health authorities have issued warnings following multiple hospitalisations from noodle-related burns, highlighting the danger of children spilling boiling water on themselves.
  • Parents and caregivers are advised to drain the hot water from noodles and rinse them in cold water before serving to ensure they are at a safe temperature for consumption.
  • In the event of a burn, immediate first aid involving placing the burn under cool running water for 20 minutes is crucial, and medical help should be sought if there are any concerns.
So, dear members, while we all love the convenience of instant noodles, let's be mindful of the risks and take the necessary precautions to keep ourselves and our loved ones safe. Have you or someone you know ever experienced a similar incident with hot food or drinks? Share your stories and tips in the comments below to help raise awareness within our community. Stay safe and enjoy your meals with care!

Sponsored
I got 2nd degree burns on my leg from knocking a cup of 2 minute noodles off the arm of a sun chair I only had shorts on at the time. Straight to the fridge for milk and a cloth lucky no scars but by gee it fkn hurt haven’t eaten them since.🤓
Holding a grudge on the noodles haha

Reactions: Littleboy8
My grandchildren love 2 minute noodles, I don't like them myself. When l make them l always drain the water put the noodles in a bowl. When they were very young l would put the bowl in the freezer for a few minutes. I always stir the noodles and try them before serving. Thank goodness l have never had any accidents with burns for my children or grandchildren. I always run the cold tap after the hot tap so if anyone turns on the tap after me the water is cold. Always turn pot handles inward on the stove, never leave dandling cords. And l always make the kids sit at the dinning table to eat.

Kind regards and please be safe to all Vicki

My grandchildren love 2 minute noodles, I don't like them myself. When l make them l always drain the water put the noodles in a bowl. When they were very young l would put the bowl in the freezer for a few minutes. I always stir the noodles and try them before serving. Thank goodness l have never had any accidents with burns for my children or grandchildren. I always run the cold tap after the hot tap so if anyone turns on the tap after me the water is cold. Always turn pot handles inward on the stove, never leave dandling cords. And l always make the kids sit at the dinning table to eat.

Kind regards and please be safe to all Vicki
It’s been about 2 years since I’ve had them and I certainly don’t miss them.😊

Always turn pot handles inward on the stove, never leave dandling cords. And l always make the kids sit at the dinning table to eat.
Never truer words said!

In about 1999, my great nephew in law, while negotiating the kitchen in his walker, tugged on a dangling cord of a hot oil filled frypan, resulting in third degree burns to his neck, chest, abdomen, genitalia and upper legs. He spent seven months in hospital, a further two years in a special suit and extremely severe life long scarring. He wouldn't have felt much pain as the nerve endings are fried in such an incident. He is now about 27.

Never truer words said!

In about 1999, my great nephew in law, while negotiating the kitchen in his walker, tugged on a dangling cord of a hot oil filled frypan, resulting in third degree burns to his neck, chest, abdomen, genitalia and upper legs. He spent seven months in hospital, a further two years in a special suit and extremely severe life long scarring. He wouldn't have felt much pain as the nerve endings are fried in such an incident. He is now about 27.
Omg that’s terrible🙀the poor thing😪I had 1st degree that was painful enough.

Never truer words said!

I am so sorry to hear the story of your great nephew in law.
Bless him now and in the future.

Kind regards Vicki