Innocent mistake transforms dream Bali holiday into a terrifying nightmare!

For many, Bali is the ultimate holiday destination. This exotic tropical island paradise is just a short flight away, and it offers stunning scenery like beaches, mountains and lush green jungle, and incredible value for money.

But while Bali might feel like an extension of Australia, it's important to remember it's still a foreign country with dangers that travellers need to know about.

One man learned this the hard way when a simple wrong turn turned his Bali dream holiday into an unshakeable nightmare.

Auckland resident Hamish Crocker was enjoying a picturesque walk around Bali earlier this year with his partner Tiffany, taking in the sights.

In an instant, everything changed when Hamish accidentally fell an uncovered hole in the pavement.

SDC 2.jpeg
Hamish was able to continue sightseeing around Bali after his injury. Image source: Facebook/Mount Batur Sunrise Trekking.

This was no small tumble. Hamish fell into an open drainage sewer, suffering excruciating injuries, including three broken ribs and a seriously torn-up leg.

For Hamish, the accident meant an urgent hospital visit, which was never part of his itinerary. Thankfully, he had travel insurance, which covered the medical costs. Otherwise, he estimates the bills could have hit a whopping sum.

'I would have been $10,000 out of pocket,' Hamish said.

'I have had friends who have been screwed over overseas in the past because they didn't have life insurance so I've already made sure I got it.'

He reiterated the need for travel insurance and shared photos of his gruesome injury and hospital visit.

'Last week I posted a lovely collage of pics from Bali, but behind all that, I had days before literally fallen down a hole, and ate absolute s*** (probably) and ended up being pulled out of a drainage sewer,‘ he shared.

'Twenty-six stitches, 3 broken ribs, and not exactly how the trip intended to go.'

'Anyway thanks to travel insurance, and the brilliance of Tiffany, I’m fine and recovering back in NZ without a huge hospital bill over me that I very much can’t afford.

'Please if you’re going travelling this summer, get travel insurance, it’s so easy and so cheap, you never know when you’ll walk around a corner and fall in a hole. The literal kind.'

The tourist was able to fit in more sightseeing activities after the mishap and shared many photos with his bandaged leg.

SDC 4.jpeg
Hamish was able to continue sightseeing around Bali after his injury. Image source: Facebook/Mount Batur Sunrise Trekking.

Shockingly, incidents like this are not rare in Bali. Open holes are widespread on footpaths and pavement areas in Bali and come with very little warning.

'Yikes! I remember the dodgy footpaths well,' one shared.

While another said: 'Just came back from 8 weeks in Bali and saw so many of these holes around the footpaths of Ubud…crazy!'

Online travel reviews of Bali are filled with tourists' warnings about these holes.

'Many of the main roads and smaller roads have gaps in the pavement. These cannot be avoided by walking [on] the road as there is too much traffic so you will need to step over them. I fell down a small hole last night as it was dark and got badly grazed,' one shared.

Other users emphasised the importance of having travel insurance with one saying: 'Hope you’re feeling better! I had a snowboarding accident in Canada and can’t push travel insurance enough. Saved my a*s.'

Travel insurance may sound like an optional extra, but the Australian government says it's absolutely essential for any overseas trip, especially if you end up needing medical assistance.

Those planning to visit Bali should also be aware that hospitals there will require upfront payment before any treatment. This only makes getting travel insurance more important.

'Without it, you or your family could suffer financially if things go wrong. No matter who you are, where you're going and what you're doing, get insurance,' said the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s Smart Traveller website.

'Healthcare overseas can be very expensive. Most countries won't give you free care, or subsidise the cost of your care. You, or your insurer, must usually pay full price.'

Most basic policies cover general medical assistance, emergency treatment, patient transport to the hospital by helicopter or ambulance, medical evacuations back to Australia and treatment for some injuries and accidents unless it's from an excluded activity.

In other news, health authorities are increasingly worried about the potential spread of a rare and deadly infection called the Nipah virus from India to the famous Aussie tourist destination of Bali.

With Indians being the second largest group of tourists in Bali after Australians, health authorities are on high alert about Nipah spreading to the tropical island.

The Nipah virus originates in fruit bats and can cause severe illness in humans, including symptoms like fever, headaches, muscle pain, vomiting, and a sore throat. In severe cases, it can lead to encephalitis and seizures, even resulting in a coma.

However, some infected individuals remain asymptomatic.

You can read more about this news here.
Key Takeaways
  • A tourist from New Zealand, Hamish Crocker, suffered serious injuries after falling into an uncovered drainage hole in Bali.
  • He urged all tourists to purchase travel insurance after his policy covered his hospital expenses. Without it, he would have been $10,000 out of pocket.
  • Despite the incident, Crocker continued his trip and sightseeing.
  • Safety concerns about the dangers of uncovered pavement holes in Bali have been raised. Travel insurance is recommended to anyone planning to visit.
Members, do you always get travel insurance when travelling outside of the country? Let us know in the comments below!

• Wow
Reactions: Ezzy, Agave and BJM
Sponsored
For many, Bali is the ultimate holiday destination. This exotic tropical island paradise is just a short flight away, and it offers stunning scenery like beaches, mountains and lush green jungle, and incredible value for money.

But while Bali might feel like an extension of Australia, it's important to remember it's still a foreign country with dangers that travellers need to know about.

One man learned this the hard way when a simple wrong turn turned his Bali dream holiday into an unshakeable nightmare.

Auckland resident Hamish Crocker was enjoying a picturesque walk around Bali earlier this year with his partner Tiffany, taking in the sights.

In an instant, everything changed when Hamish accidentally fell an uncovered hole in the pavement.

View attachment 32820

This was no small tumble. Hamish fell into an open drainage sewer, suffering excruciating injuries, including three broken ribs and a seriously torn-up leg.

For Hamish, the accident meant an urgent hospital visit, which was never part of his itinerary. Thankfully, he had travel insurance, which covered the medical costs. Otherwise, he estimates the bills could have hit a whopping sum.

'I would have been $10,000 out of pocket,' Hamish said.

'I have had friends who have been screwed over overseas in the past because they didn't have life insurance so I've already made sure I got it.'

He reiterated the need for travel insurance and shared photos of his gruesome injury and hospital visit.

'Last week I posted a lovely collage of pics from Bali, but behind all that, I had days before literally fallen down a hole, and ate absolute s*** (probably) and ended up being pulled out of a drainage sewer,‘ he shared.

'Twenty-six stitches, 3 broken ribs, and not exactly how the trip intended to go.'

'Anyway thanks to travel insurance, and the brilliance of Tiffany, I’m fine and recovering back in NZ without a huge hospital bill over me that I very much can’t afford.

'Please if you’re going travelling this summer, get travel insurance, it’s so easy and so cheap, you never know when you’ll walk around a corner and fall in a hole. The literal kind.'

The tourist was able to fit in more sightseeing activities after the mishap and shared many photos with his bandaged leg.

View attachment 32821

Shockingly, incidents like this are not rare in Bali. Open holes are widespread on footpaths and pavement areas in Bali and come with very little warning.

'Yikes! I remember the dodgy footpaths well,' one shared.

While another said: 'Just came back from 8 weeks in Bali and saw so many of these holes around the footpaths of Ubud…crazy!'

Online travel reviews of Bali are filled with tourists' warnings about these holes.

'Many of the main roads and smaller roads have gaps in the pavement. These cannot be avoided by walking [on] the road as there is too much traffic so you will need to step over them. I fell down a small hole last night as it was dark and got badly grazed,' one shared.

Other users emphasised the importance of having travel insurance with one saying: 'Hope you’re feeling better! I had a snowboarding accident in Canada and can’t push travel insurance enough. Saved my a*s.'

Travel insurance may sound like an optional extra, but the Australian government says it's absolutely essential for any overseas trip, especially if you end up needing medical assistance.

Those planning to visit Bali should also be aware that hospitals there will require upfront payment before any treatment. This only makes getting travel insurance more important.

'Without it, you or your family could suffer financially if things go wrong. No matter who you are, where you're going and what you're doing, get insurance,' said the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s Smart Traveller website.

'Healthcare overseas can be very expensive. Most countries won't give you free care, or subsidise the cost of your care. You, or your insurer, must usually pay full price.'

Most basic policies cover general medical assistance, emergency treatment, patient transport to the hospital by helicopter or ambulance, medical evacuations back to Australia and treatment for some injuries and accidents unless it's from an excluded activity.

In other news, health authorities are increasingly worried about the potential spread of a rare and deadly infection called the Nipah virus from India to the famous Aussie tourist destination of Bali.

With Indians being the second largest group of tourists in Bali after Australians, health authorities are on high alert about Nipah spreading to the tropical island.

The Nipah virus originates in fruit bats and can cause severe illness in humans, including symptoms like fever, headaches, muscle pain, vomiting, and a sore throat. In severe cases, it can lead to encephalitis and seizures, even resulting in a coma.

However, some infected individuals remain asymptomatic.

You can read more about this news here.
Key Takeaways

• A tourist from New Zealand, Hamish Crocker, suffered serious injuries after falling into an uncovered drainage hole in Bali.
  • He urged all tourists to purchase travel insurance after his policy covered his hospital expenses. Without it, he would have been $10,000 out of pocket.
  • Despite the incident, Crocker continued his trip and sightseeing.
  • Safety concerns about the dangers of uncovered pavement holes in Bali have been raised. Travel insurance is recommended to anyone planning to visit.
Members, do you always get travel insurance when travelling outside of the country? Let us know in the comments below!
Travel insurance should be compulsory if you can’t afford travel insurance then you shouldn’t travel. So sick of seeing the go fund me because people don’t have insurance.

Wouldn't travel without TRAVEL INSURANCE. To do otherwise is like playing with a loaded gun.

No good adopting the attitude it will never happen to me. It doesn't just cover injuries & medical cover.

Travel insurance should be compulsory if you can’t afford travel insurance then you shouldn’t travel. So sick of seeing the go fund me because people don’t have insurance.
Me too, so sick of these tourist who are too lousy to pay for travel insurance and then expect complete strangers to cover their costs when they stuff up
Travel insurance should be compulsory. No insurance, you can't leave the country.

Reactions: Ezzy