Injured tourist infuriated by critical ‘life or death’ detail in Australia Post travel insurance

When you’re on a dream holiday, the last thing you want is to be caught off guard by an unexpected injury. But what happens when your travel insurance, which is supposed to be your safety net, leaves you high and dry?

This is the predicament that Michelle Fotheringham, a Gold Coast resident, found herself in during a recent trip to Bali.

Fotheringham—an avid traveller who visits Bali about six times a year—tripped and broke her wrist in two places while on holiday. After a visit to a local hospital in Kuta, she was quoted a hefty $15,000 for surgery, plus an additional $1,499 per night for hospital stay and other extras.

‘I was happy to pay for it myself until they gave me the quote, then I decided to check with them (Australia Post) first,’ Fotheringham recalled.

Confident in her comprehensive insurance plan with Australia Post, which promised unlimited coverage for ‘overseas hospital, medical, surgical, nursing, ambulance and emergency dental expenses’, Fotheringham contacted them for assistance. However, she was met with a shocking response.

compressed-tom-claes-CfdzNybONzc-unsplash.jpeg
Michelle Fotheringham suffered a wrist fracture while vacationing in Bali. Credit: Tom Claes/Unsplash.

Despite her insurance plan, Australia Post allegedly refused to cover the surgery costs and instead advised her to return to Australia for treatment.

‘Thank God I did—it is so frustrating that they send you home and don't payout, and it lands on Medicare here,’ Fotheringham said.

‘They refused to pay for the surgery and told me to get on the first plane back to Australia and go to A&E [Accident and Emergency services],’ she told a news source.

She continued, ‘When asked, “Is this because it’s better to go home, or [you] saving money on my claim?” [Their] reply was, “We only pay for surgery if it's a life or death situation.” My reply: “Wow!”’

This incident raised questions about the fine print in travel insurance policies. Fotheringham’s policy, for which she paid $170, was supposed to be a comprehensive insurance plan that could cover a wide array of medical emergencies.

‘Please check very carefully on what your policy covers you for,’ she advised.

Upon her return to Australia, Fotheringham went to the A&E, where her wrist was straightened and set in plaster. She is currently awaiting surgery, a procedure that could have been completed in Indonesia if her insurance had covered it.

Australia Post, in response to the incident, stated that they take their duty of care to customers seriously.

‘Decisions regarding any claims [consider] many factors, including the option for customers to return to Australia for medical treatment where safe to do so. We are working with the customer to assist them with their claim for flight and medical costs,’ a spokesperson said.

It’s worth noting that Australia Post outsources their insurance via a third party, who advised Fotheringham that treatment options would be of higher quality in Australia. Fotheringham confirmed that she is in talks with the provider.

Understanding Travel Insurance: What You Need to Know

Travel insurance is designed to cover unexpected medical emergencies and events such as trip cancellation, personal effects, loss of, theft of or damage to baggage and personal effects. However, not all travel insurance policies are created equal.

When choosing a travel insurance policy, it’s crucial to understand what is covered and what is not. Some policies may not cover pre-existing conditions or high-risk activities like extreme sports. Others may have limitations on coverage for overseas medical expenses.

In Fotheringham’s case, the ‘life or death’ clause was a critical detail that affected her coverage. It’s essential to read the fine print and ask questions about anything you don’t understand.

Also, remember that cheaper isn’t always better regarding travel insurance. While it might be tempting to save money upfront, but you could end up paying much more in the long run if you’re not adequately covered.

Lastly, consider the reputation and customer service of the insurance provider. In an emergency, you want to be sure that your provider will be there to support you and handle your claim efficiently and fairly.

Key Takeaways
  • A Gold Coast traveller, Michelle Fotheringham, expressed frustration at Australia Post’s travel insurance after breaking her wrist in Bali.
  • Despite having the most comprehensive insurance plan, Fotheringham claimed Australia Post refused to pay for her surgery in Bali, instead instructing her to return to Australia.
  • Fotheringham warned fellow Australians to check their insurance policy closely. She is still awaiting surgery in Australia and remains in ‘a lot of pain’.
  • A spokesperson for Australia Post said they are working with Fotheringham to help with her flight and medical costs, and decisions regarding claims take many factors into account, including the quality of treatment available in Australia.

Have you had a similar experience with your travel insurance? Share your stories with us in the comments below.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: Liag and Shane/#
Sponsored
When you’re on a dream holiday, the last thing you want is to be caught off guard by an unexpected injury. But what happens when your travel insurance, which is supposed to be your safety net, leaves you high and dry?

This is the predicament that Michelle Fotheringham, a Gold Coast resident, found herself in during a recent trip to Bali.

Fotheringham—an avid traveller who visits Bali about six times a year—tripped and broke her wrist in two places while on holiday. After a visit to a local hospital in Kuta, she was quoted a hefty $15,000 for surgery, plus an additional $1,499 per night for hospital stay and other extras.

‘I was happy to pay for it myself until they gave me the quote, then I decided to check with them (Australia Post) first,’ Fotheringham recalled.

Confident in her comprehensive insurance plan with Australia Post, which promised unlimited coverage for ‘overseas hospital, medical, surgical, nursing, ambulance and emergency dental expenses’, Fotheringham contacted them for assistance. However, she was met with a shocking response.

View attachment 34466
Michelle Fotheringham suffered a wrist fracture while vacationing in Bali. Credit: Tom Claes/Unsplash.

Despite her insurance plan, Australia Post allegedly refused to cover the surgery costs and instead advised her to return to Australia for treatment.

‘Thank God I did—it is so frustrating that they send you home and don't payout, and it lands on Medicare here,’ Fotheringham said.

‘They refused to pay for the surgery and told me to get on the first plane back to Australia and go to A&E [Accident and Emergency services],’ she told a news source.

She continued, ‘When asked, “Is this because it’s better to go home, or [you] saving money on my claim?” [Their] reply was, “We only pay for surgery if it's a life or death situation.” My reply: “Wow!”’

This incident raised questions about the fine print in travel insurance policies. Fotheringham’s policy, for which she paid $170, was supposed to be a comprehensive insurance plan that could cover a wide array of medical emergencies.

Upon her return to Australia, Fotheringham went to the A&E, where her wrist was straightened and set in plaster. She is currently awaiting surgery, a procedure that could have been completed in Indonesia if her insurance had covered it.

Australia Post, in response to the incident, stated that they take their duty of care to customers seriously.

‘Decisions regarding any claims [consider] many factors, including the option for customers to return to Australia for medical treatment where safe to do so. We are working with the customer to assist them with their claim for flight and medical costs,’ a spokesperson said.

It’s worth noting that Australia Post outsources their insurance via a third party, who advised Fotheringham that treatment options would be of higher quality in Australia. Fotheringham confirmed that she is in talks with the provider.

Travel insurance is designed to cover unexpected medical emergencies and events such as trip cancellation, personal effects, loss of, theft of or damage to baggage and personal effects. However, not all travel insurance policies are created equal.

When choosing a travel insurance policy, it’s crucial to understand what is covered and what is not. Some policies may not cover pre-existing conditions or high-risk activities like extreme sports. Others may have limitations on coverage for overseas medical expenses.

In Fotheringham’s case, the ‘life or death’ clause was a critical detail that affected her coverage. It’s essential to read the fine print and ask questions about anything you don’t understand.

Also, remember that cheaper isn’t always better regarding travel insurance. While it might be tempting to save money upfront, but you could end up paying much more in the long run if you’re not adequately covered.

Lastly, consider the reputation and customer service of the insurance provider. In an emergency, you want to be sure that your provider will be there to support you and handle your claim efficiently and fairly.

Key Takeaways

• A Gold Coast traveller, Michelle Fotheringham, expressed frustration at Australia Post’s travel insurance after breaking her wrist in Bali.
  • Despite having the most comprehensive insurance plan, Fotheringham claimed Australia Post refused to pay for her surgery in Bali, instead instructing her to return to Australia.
  • Fotheringham warned fellow Australians to check their insurance policy closely. She is still awaiting surgery in Australia and remains in ‘a lot of pain’.
  • A spokesperson for Australia Post said they are working with Fotheringham to help with her flight and medical costs, and decisions regarding claims take many factors into account, including the quality of treatment available in Australia.

Have you had a similar experience with your travel insurance? Share your stories with us in the comments below.
F#cken rip off insurance all about profits 📈 not customers 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Reactions: Angela Cockburn

View attachment 34466

Key Takeaways

How many bother to read the fine print. I bet most. People need to definitely know that if you engage in high risk activities you may not be covered. Not wearing a helmet in Bali and coming off a bike....probably not covered. Falling down a flight of stairs on a cruise ship and breaking your leg. If you have been drinking probably the insurance company will use that as an out and not pay you. Please ask before you take out the policy what is and what is not covered.