Incredible tip turns $6 Kmart item into a fantastic doggy door assistant your pets will love!

As age catches up with us and our furry companions, mobility can become a challenge. We here at the Seniors Discount Club understand all too well the joys and trials that come with having pets in our lives. They truly make our lives brighter and more exciting, but as they–and we–grow older, we have to find ways to accommodate their needs and make life easier for them.

This Aussie pet owner found her pet facing a common problem for smaller or older dogs – getting through their doggy door. She had recently adopted two small chihuahuas and quickly discovered that one of her beloved chihuahuas was having trouble using the door. She knew she had to find a creative solution.

Enter one of our favourite places to find affordable and innovative solutions: Kmart. With just $12, this clever pet owner turned a simple pantry shelf into an amazing doggy door solution for her pups, making their lives much easier and safer.

Using the $6 pantry shelf, she created 'steps' on each side of the door to assist her small canine companions, making it easier for them to climb up and down without any struggle. She then shared her brilliant idea in a private Facebook group dedicated to sharing Kmart hacks and décor. The post read, 'I've adopted 2 chihuahuas and one is older and finds the doggy door too high. $6 later... fixed!'

1683081283690.png
The ingenious 'steps' make getting in and out of the doggy door a breeze. Source: Facebook

She added, 'Note when I go out, I have a second lot of steps for the other side. My son has just used 3m hooks and attached it to the door outside so it moves with the door. So $12 total.'

Fellow members of the Facebook group were quick to applaud her innovative hack. 'Great idea. I'm just about to get a doggy door and didn't think of the height,' one member wrote.

Another comment read, 'Love this! This could possibly be the best Kmart hack. So cute!'

A grateful group member shared, 'Thank you for the idea, my 14 year old chihuahua is partially blind and only tiny so is now struggling with the doggy door.'

Key Takeaways
  • An Australian pet owner used a $6 pantry shelf from Kmart to create 'steps' to help her small chihuahuas use their doggy door.
  • The owner shared the clever hack in a private Facebook group focused on Kmart hacks and decor, receiving a positive response from other members.
  • Another woman shared her own Kmart hack, using store products to create a cosy 'cabin' space for her dog in a small cupboard.
  • The creative and affordable solutions showcase the versatility of Kmart products for pet owners facing challenges with their furry companions.

The creativity didn't stop there. Another woman revealed how she used Kmart items to create a cosy and adorable space for her dog. In the same Facebook group, she described how she converted a small cupboard space into a new 'house' for her pet. She wrote, 'So I finished up the outside of my doggie 'house.' Made from cardboard, stick-on vinyl, and paints, etc., all from Kmart. It's his cabin in the woods.'

1683081283714.png
This before and after pic shows impressive creativity on a budget. Credit: Facebook

The group's members were once again impressed by the innovative pet-friendly ideas made possible with a bit of ingenuity and a trip to Kmart. Comments poured in, such as 'Wow! That's awesome!' and 'OMG, I love this so much. Well done.'

It’s common for pets to suffer from mobility issues as they age, but even younger pets can experience it. Symptoms of mobility issues include difficulty getting up after lying down, hesitation in using stairs, slower movement and less vocalisation. According to North Hill Animal Hospital, 45% of dogs between the ages of 8 and 12 and 90% of cats over the age of 12 will experience osteoarthritis. This chronic degenerative disease can affect any joint.

Weight plays a significant role when it comes to musculoskeletal health, as being overweight puts additional stress on joints. For this reason, it’s important to keep pets at a healthy weight to reduce pain from osteoarthritis and other ailments.

One such solution are nutraceuticals (any substance that is a food or part of a food and provides medical or health benefits, including the prevention and treatment of disease), such as glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, green-lipped mussel and devil’s claw. These ingredients have the ability to support cartilage, reduce inflammation and help relieve pain. Omega fatty acids are also beneficial for supporting joint health in our furry friends, just as they are with humans.

Johnson also noted that some veterinary diets are formulated to improve joint health and reduce joint pain. These diets aim to keep pets at an ideal weight while providing benefits such as Omega fatty acids and glucosamine to reduce inflammation. Johnson further suggested Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDS) to reduce inflammation and offer pain relief to pets with more advanced mobility issues.

As we grow older with our beloved pets, it's a pleasure to come across creative and affordable ideas to make their lives better. So, next time you're looking to improve your pet's living situation, consider taking a stroll through Kmart – you never know what creative, budget-friendly solution you might find!

Sponsored
Turmeric is an excellent antiinflammatory. It's safe for dogs, cheap and available at supermarkets.