Incredible survival story: Woman drinks her way to safety in the Australian bush with wine and sweets

At the Seniors Discount Club, we love sharing inspiring stories of survival and courage. Here's one extraordinary tale that will make you marvel at the strength of the human spirit when faced with adversity. We also think you’ll have a little giggle at the way this woman managed to survive the Australian bush with the help of some… Wine.

Meet Lillian Ip, a 48-year-old woman, who found herself stranded in the unforgiving Australian bush for five days with no water or sufficient food. Her incredible story unfolded when she embarked on what was supposed to be a short trip through dense bushland to the picturesque town of Bright in Victoria.

1683691730134.png
Our bushlands can be harsh and unforgiving, but Ms Ip never gave up. Image source: Shutterstock.

However, fate had other plans for Ms Ip – she hit a dead-end after taking a wrong turn and accidentally steering her car into the mud. With her vehicle rendered immobile, she was left with nothing but a bottle of wine, some lollipops, and a few other snacks.

One might wonder how a bottle of wine would make a difference in such a predicament, especially for a non-drinker like Lillian. It turned out that the wine was meant to be a present for her mother, and the sweets and snacks were to stave off hunger during her journey.

Faced with no other choice, Ms Ip rationed her wine and sweets across the five harrowing days she spent stranded in the bush. She could not venture far from her car due to health issues and the vast distance – approximately 60 kilometres – from the nearest town.

Her family grew concerned when Lillian didn't make her daily call on April 30th to check in, which prompted them to alert the authorities. A search-and-rescue mission was set in motion, and after five long nights, emergency services finally discovered her as they flew overhead.

Footage from a helicopter showed an ecstatic Ms Ip waving her arms, trying to attract the attention of her rescuers, who subsequently airlifted her to safety.

At the brink of hopelessness, she penned a heart-wrenching letter to her loved ones, stating, 'If you don't find me by this time, I could be dead by frozen cold. I love you all. Don't cry for me.'

Upon her rescue, she told 9News Australia, 'I thought I was going to die there. My whole body shut down on Friday. I was about to give up.'

Despite her harrowing ordeal, Lillian emerged with her fighting spirit intact, displaying incredible resilience and resourcefulness.

Sergeant Martin Torpey from Wodonga Police Station commended her decision to stay with her car. He said, 'She used great common sense to stay with her car and not wander off into bushland, which assisted in police being able to find her.'

Key Takeaways
  • Lillian Ip was stranded in the Australian bush for five days, surviving on wine and lollies.
  • She became stuck after taking a wrong turn, and her vehicle became trapped in mud.
  • Emergency services discovered her after five nights, waving her arms for attention from a helicopter.
  • Ms Ip was treated for dehydration but has since returned home to Melbourne.

Ms Ip was taken back to Melbourne, where she was treated for dehydration and other health issues in hospital. Her heartwarming story serves as a reminder of the importance of hope, resourcefulness, and determination in the face of adversity.

What do you think of this story, members? We think it is quite the survival story, and we are relieved to hear Ms. Ip is home all safe and well. Do you have a bizarre survival story like this that you would like to share? Tell us all about it in the comments section below.

Sponsored
At the Seniors Discount Club, we love sharing inspiring stories of survival and courage. Here's one extraordinary tale that will make you marvel at the strength of the human spirit when faced with adversity. We also think you’ll have a little giggle at the way this woman managed to survive the Australian bush with the help of some… Wine.

Meet Lillian Ip, a 48-year-old woman, who found herself stranded in the unforgiving Australian bush for five days with no water or sufficient food. Her incredible story unfolded when she embarked on what was supposed to be a short trip through dense bushland to the picturesque town of Bright in Victoria.

View attachment 19470
Our bushlands can be harsh and unforgiving, but Ms Ip never gave up. Image source: Shutterstock.

However, fate had other plans for Ms Ip – she hit a dead-end after taking a wrong turn and accidentally steering her car into the mud. With her vehicle rendered immobile, she was left with nothing but a bottle of wine, some lollipops, and a few other snacks.

One might wonder how a bottle of wine would make a difference in such a predicament, especially for a non-drinker like Lillian. It turned out that the wine was meant to be a present for her mother, and the sweets and snacks were to stave off hunger during her journey.

Faced with no other choice, Ms Ip rationed her wine and sweets across the five harrowing days she spent stranded in the bush. She could not venture far from her car due to health issues and the vast distance – approximately 60 kilometres – from the nearest town.

Her family grew concerned when Lillian didn't make her daily call on April 30th to check in, which prompted them to alert the authorities. A search-and-rescue mission was set in motion, and after five long nights, emergency services finally discovered her as they flew overhead.

Footage from a helicopter showed an ecstatic Ms Ip waving her arms, trying to attract the attention of her rescuers, who subsequently airlifted her to safety.

At the brink of hopelessness, she penned a heart-wrenching letter to her loved ones, stating, 'If you don't find me by this time, I could be dead by frozen cold. I love you all. Don't cry for me.'

Upon her rescue, she told 9News Australia, 'I thought I was going to die there. My whole body shut down on Friday. I was about to give up.'

Despite her harrowing ordeal, Lillian emerged with her fighting spirit intact, displaying incredible resilience and resourcefulness.

Sergeant Martin Torpey from Wodonga Police Station commended her decision to stay with her car. He said, 'She used great common sense to stay with her car and not wander off into bushland, which assisted in police being able to find her.'

Key Takeaways

• Lillian Ip was stranded in the Australian bush for five days, surviving on wine and lollies.
  • She became stuck after taking a wrong turn, and her vehicle became trapped in mud.
  • Emergency services discovered her after five nights, waving her arms for attention from a helicopter.
  • Ms Ip was treated for dehydration but has since returned home to Melbourne.

Ms Ip was taken back to Melbourne, where she was treated for dehydration and other health issues in hospital. Her heartwarming story serves as a reminder of the importance of hope, resourcefulness, and determination in the face of adversity.

What do you think of this story, members? We think it is quite the survival story, and we are relieved to hear Ms. Ip is home all safe and well. Do you have a bizarre survival story like this that you would like to share? Tell us all about it in the comments section below.

Can't imagine going through what she did! Glad she's safe now.

Reactions: Ezzy and Mr Chips
Must have been hard to ration those small amount of 'goodies' over that period. The other concern is the cold of nights. She is amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jarred Santos