Incredible breakthrough! See how researchers use 3D printing technology to prepare food for aged care residents

For those suffering from malnutrition and experiencing difficulties while chewing and swallowing, the research team at Edith Cowan University has created a food revolution that will help aged care residents get proper nutrition.

food-prep.jpeg
A research team at Edith Cowan University has created a food revolution that will help aged care residents get proper nutrition. Image source: Edith Cowan University.

Unveiled as the culinary revolution of 3D food printing, this project is created in partnership with aged care agency Brightwater Care Group, and produces one small meal packed with nutrients while also reducing food waste.

According to Chef Amanda Orchard from Edith Cowan University, their goal is to provide amazing flavour, nutrition, and joy in every single bite.

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 9.54.35 AM.png
The meal is full of ingredients like eggs, ricotta, feta, onions and garlic that are chopped, freeze-dried, and pureed into a creamy mash. Image source: Edith Cowan University.

The meal itself may look small, but it’s full of ingredients like eggs, ricotta, feta, onions and garlic that are chopped, freeze-dried, and pureed into a creamy mash.

Catherine Stoddart, the CEO of Brightwater Care Group, notes that this cutting-edge technology allows elderly residents to enjoy nutrition-packed meals that are tailored to their needs.

'There are mixes of food that add additional protein, that add additional minerals and vitamins that people don't normally get,' Stoddart said.

What’s more, the twist of 3D printing technology enables researchers to make texture-modified meals more appealing for ageing appetites.

'We can provide them with high energy, long life, lightweight fruit, vegetables or other food products,' said Dr Liezhou Zhong from Edith Cowan University.

And while 3D-printed meals are currently only being served in aged care facilities, Dr Zhong is positive that this concept can expand to schools, the military, and even potentially the general public in the next 12 to 18 months.

3d-printed-food.jpeg
This concept can expand to schools, the military, and even potentially the general public in the next 12 to 18 months. Image source: Edith Cowan University.

As an added bonus, this project also uses produce that otherwise would be discarded due to their appearance.

'All we have done is try to create beautiful presentations, more nutritious food, and a more enjoyable dining experience for them to stimulate their appetite so they can eat more,' Dr Zhong said.

Benefits of 3D printed food for elderly and disabled individuals

The world of food tech is a fascinating field, and this latest application holds great promise for a demographic that sometimes gets overlooked–our senior citizens, especially those with disabilities.

One of the greatest benefits of this 3D printing marvel is its ability to customise the type of ingredients used and their proportions. This means that meals can be uniquely tailored to each individual's dietary needs. Older adults require a balanced blend of nutrients with appropriate portion sizes that their bodies can digest and absorb optimally. With the magic of 3D printing, even considerations like individual food intolerances or allergies can be factored in, creating a truly personalised and nutritious meal.

Moreover, the convenience factor is a game changer. Standard kitchen tasks, such as preparing, cooking, and even spooning out a meal, can pose a challenging task to seniors with motor issues or debilitating arthritis. With these 3D-printed meals, the preparation process becomes as simple as pressing a button. Over time, this aids in fostering independence and boosts morale among our older community members.

But the benefits extend even further. Those with dysphagia, or difficulty swallowing, often are limited to a diet of purees and soup, which can get monotonous after a while. 3D-printed food, with its carefully controlled textures and shapes, can potentially introduce a wider variety of meals and snacks to the menus of those with dysphagia. Plus, isn’t there just something delightful about biting into a spinach frittata 'cube' made of 3D-printed goodness? This revolution might just bring a little joy to meal times again!

All this is not just about convenience or nutrition. This incredible application of 3D printing is a holistic approach to health and well-being, promoting dignity, independence, and a bit more joy at the dinner table. Isn't that what we all want?

With 3D printing technology becoming more affordable and accessible, we can expect to see more impressive concepts like this one being developed in the near future. Here’s another 3D printing project that may be useful for all of us!

Have you seen similar projects or any other brilliant ideas used to help the elderly? We’d love to hear your stories in the comments section below!

Sponsored
All I can say is I pray that the minute I am unable to independently care for myself the good Lord takes me out of this horrible world for good.
Feeding old people mush filled with who knows what, as greed will ultimately replace quality ingredients for half rotted, less nutritional produce, to fill big company pockets.
Also the list of ingredients quoted as being in it didn't seem to contain any vegetables etc already. Part of enjoying a meal is the visual appeal and that plastic version of food looks repulsive, probably end up containing more plastic than food anyway . Reminds me of a movie I saw years ago called Solulent Green. I guess that will be the next step to follow this, if not happening already .

There's no way I would ever want to eat "cardboard copies" of my food. Even if I had dysphagia a big part of enjoying the food we eat is the sight of it on a plate, the smell of something we love to eat, the pleasure of the texture in the mouth.
If this becomes the norm for those with difficulty eating I can see nursing homes making it the norm so that they don't have to pay for staff to cook & serve meals, nor would they need to have a fully fitted kitchen so more savings for them while the poor residents eat garbage.

Food is often one of the last things we have that we can enjoy. Having some sort of mush piped onto a plate just doesn't cut it, despite it maybe having all the goodness a person might need. Half the enjoyment of food is done with the eyes, if it looks good you are more likely to eat it, and this just doesn't cut it.

For those suffering from malnutrition and experiencing difficulties while chewing and swallowing, the research team at Edith Cowan University has created a food revolution that will help aged care residents get proper nutrition.

View attachment 26926
A research team at Edith Cowan University has created a food revolution that will help aged care residents get proper nutrition. Image source: Edith Cowan University.

Unveiled as the culinary revolution of 3D food printing, this project is created in partnership with aged care agency Brightwater Care Group, and produces one small meal packed with nutrients while also reducing food waste.

According to Chef Amanda Orchard from Edith Cowan University, their goal is to provide amazing flavour, nutrition, and joy in every single bite.

View attachment 26924
The meal is full of ingredients like eggs, ricotta, feta, onions and garlic that are chopped, freeze-dried, and pureed into a creamy mash. Image source: Edith Cowan University.

The meal itself may look small, but it’s full of ingredients like eggs, ricotta, feta, onions and garlic that are chopped, freeze-dried, and pureed into a creamy mash.

Catherine Stoddart, the CEO of Brightwater Care Group, notes that this cutting-edge technology allows elderly residents to enjoy nutrition-packed meals that are tailored to their needs.

'There are mixes of food that add additional protein, that add additional minerals and vitamins that people don't normally get,' Stoddart said.

What’s more, the twist of 3D printing technology enables researchers to make texture-modified meals more appealing for ageing appetites.

'We can provide them with high energy, long life, lightweight fruit, vegetables or other food products,' said Dr Liezhou Zhong from Edith Cowan University.

And while 3D-printed meals are currently only being served in aged care facilities, Dr Zhong is positive that this concept can expand to schools, the military, and even potentially the general public in the next 12 to 18 months.

View attachment 26925
This concept can expand to schools, the military, and even potentially the general public in the next 12 to 18 months. Image source: Edith Cowan University.

As an added bonus, this project also uses produce that otherwise would be discarded due to their appearance.

'All we have done is try to create beautiful presentations, more nutritious food, and a more enjoyable dining experience for them to stimulate their appetite so they can eat more,' Dr Zhong said.

The world of food tech is a fascinating field, and this latest application holds great promise for a demographic that sometimes gets overlooked–our senior citizens, especially those with disabilities.

One of the greatest benefits of this 3D printing marvel is its ability to customise the type of ingredients used and their proportions. This means that meals can be uniquely tailored to each individual's dietary needs. Older adults require a balanced blend of nutrients with appropriate portion sizes that their bodies can digest and absorb optimally. With the magic of 3D printing, even considerations like individual food intolerances or allergies can be factored in, creating a truly personalised and nutritious meal.

Moreover, the convenience factor is a game changer. Standard kitchen tasks, such as preparing, cooking, and even spooning out a meal, can pose a challenging task to seniors with motor issues or debilitating arthritis. With these 3D-printed meals, the preparation process becomes as simple as pressing a button. Over time, this aids in fostering independence and boosts morale among our older community members.

But the benefits extend even further. Those with dysphagia, or difficulty swallowing, often are limited to a diet of purees and soup, which can get monotonous after a while. 3D-printed food, with its carefully controlled textures and shapes, can potentially introduce a wider variety of meals and snacks to the menus of those with dysphagia. Plus, isn’t there just something delightful about biting into a spinach frittata 'cube' made of 3D-printed goodness? This revolution might just bring a little joy to meal times again!

All this is not just about convenience or nutrition. This incredible application of 3D printing is a holistic approach to health and well-being, promoting dignity, independence, and a bit more joy at the dinner table. Isn't that what we all want?

With 3D printing technology becoming more affordable and accessible, we can expect to see more impressive concepts like this one being developed in the near future. Here’s another 3D printing project that may be useful for all of us!

Have you seen similar projects or any other brilliant ideas used to help the elderly? We’d love to hear your stories in the comments section below!
This has to be the joke of the Century. Bring on "SOLVENT GREEN" for the elderly. To the young one reading this and not understanding look up "Chalton Heston in Solvent Green" via google.

All I can say is I pray that the minute I am unable to independently care for myself the good Lord takes me out of this horrible world for good.
Feeding old people mush filled with who knows what, as greed will ultimately replace quality ingredients for half rotted, less nutritional produce, to fill big company pockets.
Also the list of ingredients quoted as being in it didn't seem to contain any vegetables etc already. Part of enjoying a meal is the visual appeal and that plastic version of food looks repulsive, probably end up containing more plastic than food anyway . Reminds me of a movie I saw years ago called Solulent Green. I guess that will be the next step to follow this, if not happening already .
I was thinking the same thing but it is actually Soylent Green

Yep I remember that movie 😬

This has to be the joke of the Century. Bring on "SOLVENT GREEN" for the elderly. To the young one reading this and not understanding look up "Chalton Heston in Solvent Green" via google.
Charlton Heston In Soylent Green was one of the better Acting leads that he played and the subject of the movie was truley frightening.

Reactions: Monmc and Ricci
I see this as a way of getting rid of the kitchens, and staff who work there, to replace them with a little artificial food factory. I wonder if the thousands of essential workers know about this brain freeze of an idea.
When my hubby was in ICU, in an induced coma, for 10 days, he obviously was not eating. The nutritionist came to me and asked permission to try a new way of feeding him nutrition from the bag. Instead of a constant drip, the nutritional was administered 3 times a day, just like we have meals. It was something I was happy to test for them and it proved a life saver.
I would say this. If my darling man was given a choice between highly nutritious drip and fake printed food, we would have opted for the drip to save his live. Just because an elderly person is not eating, doesn't mean he/she has lost their mind. The choice has to be there. If they want to stay alive, take a nutritional infusion, or the like. Get rid of this idiocy and use supplemental feeding in a proper way.
I can't believe some hot shot idiot came up with such a stupid idea.

View attachment 26926

View attachment 26924

View attachment 26925

It may have all the nutrients that a body needs, But I am not in space .... yet.. Some asked me the other day if i would consider living in an aged care facility...... I would rather be dead