Immersive reality takes aged care and disability support to new horizons!

The world is more connected than ever before, yet ironically, loneliness remains a pervasive issue, particularly among the senior population.

In Australia, a significant number of older individuals, especially those in residential aged care, experience a sense of social isolation.

However, a beacon of hope shines through the advent of immersive reality technology, which is proving to be a game-changer for our elderly loved ones.

Professor Evonne Miller of Queensland University of Technology delved into the potential of Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality for aged care residents.

Her research suggested that these technologies offer 'lots of potential and opportunity' to improve the quality of life for those who find it challenging to venture outside their care facilities.

‘The reality is, for too many people, when they enter aged care, it can be too difficult to leave,’ Professor Miller said.

compressed-shutterstock_1149628430.jpeg
Nursing homes are now using innovative technology—such as VR and AR—to help reduce social isolation and provide emotional enrichment for residents. Credits: Shutterstock

Imagine being able to traverse the streets of Paris, embark on an African safari, or swim with dolphins—all from the comfort of your armchair. This is the promise of VR, which can transport users to far-off places without the need for physical travel.

‘Virtual reality headsets are relatively inexpensive now, maybe $500, but if you integrate into the leisure program inside aged care—alongside bingo, aerobics, yoga, and swimming—you can actually have a virtual reality experience that does indeed take people elsewhere,’ she explained.

However, the implementation of such technology is not without its hurdles.

Professor Miller pointed out, ‘One of the challenges we had was, too many aged care facilities are not designed with the future in mind, so things like accessing wi-fi—we tried to Chromecast inside and we couldn't do that.’

Despite these challenges, individuals like Che Turner from Meanjin are finding creative solutions.

Turner's social enterprise uses immersive reality to transport participants to exotic locales such as Central Australia and the French Alps, all from the comfort of an air-conditioned van.

Inspired by the positive impact of virtual train trips he witnessed in the United Kingdom's aged care sector, Turner brought the concept to Australia with a unique twist.

He observed the beneficial effects of simulated train journeys—where participants sit at a table designed to mimic the inside of a train carriage and view passing scenery on a large-screen TV—had on the locals.

‘It builds anticipation [for participants], so your brain sort of gets the same endorphin rush of, “Oh, we're going on a holiday, we're doing something exciting,” that it would do for someone that still has the ability to travel. That was one thing that I really noticed; it was a talking point throughout the whole nursing home,’ he explained.

For a while, he had been contemplating the idea of implementing something akin to this locally, and he recalls his moment of inspiration occurring as he reflected on the sustained effectiveness of a charitable organisation offering mobile laundry and shower facilities to individuals facing homelessness.

‘I used to work next to their office in Brisbane when I was with another aged care provider, and I'd walk past every day on my lunch break and think, “what a brilliant idea,”’ he recalled.

‘Then I put the two together and thought, “Well, if they can do it with washing machines, why can't we deliver a service in a van that does train journeys? Why don't we create a vehicle that can enable people—who don’t have the mobility—to travel?”’

Mr Turner mentioned that conceiving the notion of adapting the virtual train journey concept into a customised van was one aspect, yet transforming it into a fully immersive experience posed another challenge altogether.

He was aware that train simulations were already accessible in certain nursing homes, albeit with certain restrictions.

‘With the train experiences when they're in nursing homes, they're just [shown on] the one TV, and you do get the feeling that you're just looking out of the window, and part of the challenge was, “How can we make it more immersive?”’ he said.

The procedure entailed renovating the inside of a van to replicate a train compartment, fitting two 50-inch monitors on either side to emulate windows, and incorporating five computers with tailored software to seamlessly synchronise the visuals across the screens.

The footage depicting various journeys—such as through the English countryside and along the Ghan route in Central Australia—was contributed by members of online train communities.

‘We welcome everyone on board. We sit down, we've got coffee-making facilities inside, and we serve high tea, so when they sit down at the table, it's a full first-class dining experience, with white tablecloths and silver cutlery,’ Mr Turner shared.

‘We generally start the conversation with, “When was your last holiday?” and that's a real conversation starter, and from there, conversation continues about different train journeys the participants have been on.’

The initiative premiered at an aged care facility in Brisbane towards the end February, and Mr. Turner expressed that he had been pleasantly surprised by the enthusiastic responses received.

‘This is a passion project, and I work Monday to Friday, so we only can do it on weekends at the moment, but the response has been incredible—most of the comments are people didn't expect this, they didn't think it was possible.’

‘I mean, at the end of the day, it's a van with a few TVs in it, and it's just incredible how that can stimulate so much joy, happiness, and awe,’ he continued.

Last year, it was reported that this technology was also used by an aged care service provider to improve care for individuals with certain conditions.
Key Takeaways
  • Innovative technology, such as virtual and augmented reality, is being used in aged care to help reduce social isolation, and provide emotional enrichment for residents.
  • Activities enabled by VR headsets include virtual trips to Paris, African safaris, and swimming with dolphins, which cater to the residents' mobility impairments.
  • Challenges in implementing this technology in aged care facilities included the design of the buildings which may not have future technologies in mind, such as wi-fi connectivity issues.
  • Che Turner launched a social enterprise that offers immersive virtual train journeys in a van outfitted with monitors to simulate carriage windows, enhancing the quality of life for aged care residents.
Have you ever tried immersing yourself in a VR or AR experience? Do you think this could improve the care provided to seniors in nursing homes? Share your stories and insights with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
What a wonderful idea.
I worked as secretary to the Nursing Unit Manager in an aged care facility, about 30 years ago and witnessed, first hand, the loneliness of some of the residents.
Some if these poor people came to the facility with a family member. This family member would never be seen again.
It is heartbreaking how many people never get visitors.
On the other hand we had a lady with advanced dementia. Her husband arrived early every morning and stayed until 4pm
She had no idea who he was, or hardly acknowledged his presence,but he read to her, talked to her, watched TV, took her for walks in her wheelchair.
He did this every day until she passed away. What a wonderful man.
Unfortunately, there were not too many like him.

Another reason for relatives not to visit Mum, she's probably in Paris for the weekend.
People need human companionship and real life, not pictures. Most RAO's will take this as an opportunity to do even less.

Reactions: Littleboy8
What a wonderful idea.
I worked as secretary to the Nursing Unit Manager in an aged care facility, about 30 years ago and witnessed, first hand, the loneliness of some of the residents.
Some if these poor people came to the facility with a family member. This family member would never be seen again.
It is heartbreaking how many people never get visitors.
On the other hand we had a lady with advanced dementia. Her husband arrived early every morning and stayed until 4pm
She had no idea who he was, or hardly acknowledged his presence,but he read to her, talked to her, watched TV, took her for walks in her wheelchair.
He did this every day until she passed away. What a wonderful man.
Unfortunately, there were not too many like him.
Sadly, the gentleman was probably lonely himself. Not many care for the one left at home.

Sadly, the gentleman was probably lonely himself. Not many care for the one left at home.
You are probably right, I never thought of that.
So many children are so busy with their own lives, they forget about their parents.
Especially sons. The old saying
"your son is your son until he takes a wife, your daughter is your daughter for the rest of your life" is so true in many
circumstances.
My brother would go regularly, with his wife, to her mother's place,but rarely to our mothers. I have friends who this happens to, my youngest son does the same to me.
Have discussed this with many people and discovered it is very common.
My brother in-law was crying at his mother's funeral, saying he should have seen her more often. Too damn late. He broke
her heart.

When I worked in aged care we had game systems like PlayStation, sega, etc. The clients used to love playing the games, car racing and sports games like tennis were very popular as this is what they used to do or enjoy watching. Even the clients watching had a good time cheering them on. The games were set up on a big screen tv so anyone could watch who wanted to. I also witnessed many clients who rarely had visitors whether they had dementia or not. We had a community visitors group who would have people come in and visit people who didn’t get visitors, they would take them on outings if they were able to go out. It worked really well. There were never enough of these visitors to have one per client so most of them used to visit with several clients individually.

Another reason for relatives not to visit Mum, she's probably in Paris for the weekend.
People need human companionship and real life, not pictures. Most RAO's will take this as an opportunity to do even less.
I used to work as an RAO in 2 different facilities and believe me most RAOs work extremely hard. I spent a lot of my own time researching activities I could implement into my programs, I used to spend a lot of my money buying items for activities, it didn’t matter what I was doing or where I went I was always thinking about and looking for items and ideas to enhance the clients lives. It is only an odd one that does as little as possible. I worked with 2 who were like this. It meant I was expected to pick up the slack as they were very chummy with the facility managers. This is one of the reasons when Bunnings offered me a job I left aged care.

Reactions: alkyon
I visited my parents and aunt in nursing homes till they passed away. It is just a sad time for them that I was the only visitor and it is a strain on the one visiting as well, especially when the family member has dementia of any kind. But it is also good because you learn so much about your relatives early years and what they did , especially during the wars and depression. I very much doubt if I was to go into a home anyone but my friends (I hope) would visit me. Anything that brightens up nursing homes in my books is good. Leaving your relatives sitting in bucket chairs all day with old songs playing is so depressing for them, they need interactive company of friends and relatives just to hold their hands,, sometimes.

Reactions: Sockjoan
I used to work as an RAO in 2 different facilities and believe me most RAOs work extremely hard. I spent a lot of my own time researching activities I could implement into my programs, I used to spend a lot of my money buying items for activities, it didn’t matter what I was doing or where I went I was always thinking about and looking for items and ideas to enhance the clients lives. It is only an odd one that does as little as possible. I worked with 2 who were like this. It meant I was expected to pick up the slack as they were very chummy with the facility managers. This is one of the reasons when Bunnings offered me a job I left aged care.
GSR, I worked in Aged Care for 36yrs, I also did shifts as RAO myself. Unfortunately, I have also experienced clicky groups with management. Those groups seem to get away with doing very little. hear you about spending your own money and being on the lookout for ideas. Just remember, what goes around, comes around. You will be rewarded for your efforts and others will reap what they sow. 💐

I THINK THAT HIS IS A GREAT IDEA! PEOPLE IN AGED CARE NEED MENTAL STIMULUS. I HAVE WORKED MANY YEARS IN AGED CARE AS AN ASSITANT PHYSIO.ORTHO AND KNOW THAT BOREDOM DUE TO LACK OF STIMULUS, IS WHAT KILLS PEOPLE LIVING THERE (IN GODS WAITING ROOM), SPECIALLY IF THEY ARE DUMPED BY THEIR UNGRATEFUL FAMILIES WHO NEVER OR SELDOM COME TO SEE THEM. THEIR ONLY FOCUS FOR THE DAY IS LOOKING FORWARD TO THEIR NEXT MEAL, WHICH GIVES THEM SOME COMFORT (EVEN THOUGH THE MEALS CAN BE MISERABLE)! MANY YEARS BACK I VISITED THE GREAT BARRIER REEF AQUARUIM IN TOWNSILLE-QLD AND WAS MESMERISED!

Reactions: Liz
Anyone who thinks that aged care in australia is one tad less miserable after the royal commission is sadly deluded. These businesses are rotting the taxpayer who 95% of the costs, more than ever, before the abuse became public.