Imagine what this tenant did to provoke a shocking ‘abusive’ rant from a real estate agent!

Nowadays, a simple question can unexpectedly set off a chain reaction, especially when shared online.

Worse, at times, the query brings consequences—both pros and cons—that extend well beyond the initial click.

A real estate agent recently apologised after a conversation with a potential tenant went ‘popular’ on social media, with many users labelling the remarks as ‘abusive’.

Tim, renting a property, found out his landlord had hired a new agency, PRD Toowoomba.

Curious, he posted in a local online forum to inquire about their reputation.

The initial reactions from community members were favourable, with a particular agent named Mitchell Betheras even earning praise.

Unexpectedly, Betheras, a PRD Toowomba Senior Property Manager from the agency, responded from his personal account in a manner that many found unusual and inappropriate.

‘He was implying he was going to use his authority to kick me out of my property,’ Tim shared with Yahoo News Australia.

‘I fear for the safety of anybody who would have to be under Mitch’s property management.’

skyscrapers-450793_1280 (1).jpg
Real estate agent Mitchell Betheras issued an apology following an inappropriate online rant directed at a tenant. Image source: Pixabay

‘Tim, all you needed to do was contact our office. I'm the be-all and end-all in PRD property management. YOU were going to be my client, but your post made me rethink. I might have an opening... Let me think about it a bit more,’ Mr Betheras initially responded.

Tim promptly asked if his post was inappropriate, while Mr Betheras reiterated, stressing that his company doesn’t function ‘through social media’ and maintains ‘very strict tenant selection’.

‘Again if you're not happy with your rental, please vacate as there will be someone who will reside. Not everyone’s clearly as fussy as you,’ he added.

Another user stepped in to support Tim, telling the agent to ‘pull his head in’ and that his behaviour was ‘confrontational’ and ‘unprofessional’.

Following further exchanges, Mitch commented, ‘closet f*g,’ directed at the new member and told both him and Tim to ‘f**k off’.

Images of the conversation swiftly circulated on different social media platforms, garnering significant attention from the public.

ezgif.com-webp-to-png.png
The tenant posed a straightforward question, but the situation escalated when estate agent Mitch Betheras responded (left). When another group member attempted to defend Tim, the agent resorted to using a slur (right). Image source: Facebook

Subsequently, individuals started engaging with Mitch’s online profiles, inquiring about his ‘abusive’ remarks.

‘Nobody goes through this low life check out this bulls**t. He threatens people of being kicked out for asking questions [sic],’ another posted to Mitch’s social media account.

‘Holy h**k! This idiot is surely going to lose his job. PRD is a big chain and I reckon his a** is grass once the big bosses get wind of this. So unprofessional!!’ a third said.

Toowoomba PRD’s John Bleakley chose not to discuss the incident when contacted; however, co-principal Kim Taylor informed that they are currently reviewing the matter and emphasised that their team ‘care about people’ and ‘don't want to do wrong by anyone’.

PRD Queensland’s main office also highlighted that the ‘comments made online recently by a staff member of the PRD Toowoomba office are serious and concerning’. It noted that the issue is being investigated.

Tim was surprised that his simple inquiry sparked such a reaction. He described the individual as flaunting power over his living situation and found the behaviour exceedingly unsuitable, especially on social media.

When approached, Mr Betheras issued an apology to Tim.

‘I am deeply sorry,’ he wrote, addressing Tim. ‘I want to express my apology. I truly thought you were having a go at me professionally and personally.’

Tim acknowledged the apology but mentioned that if Mr Betheras found his comments offensive, it raised questions about his professional conduct.

Prominent renters’ advocate and content creator Jordie van den Berg shared Tim’s sentiment.

‘There was no way the original query could have been construed as someone ‘having a go at him personally and professionally’ when the original poster probably didn't even know who the h**ll he was,’ he said.

‘He reached out to the poster afterwards asking them to help clear up his reputation, so personally, I believe he’s not concerned about doing the right thing.’

Key Takeaways

• A real estate agent from PRD Toowoomba apologised for his abusive comments in a social media exchange with a prospective tenant.
  • The agent, Mitchell Betheras, had aggressively responded to a simple query posted by the tenant in a local community group, threatening him with eviction.
  • Screenshots of the conversation gained traction on social media, prompting backlash from users who called Betheras’ reaction ‘abusive’ and ‘unprofessional’.
  • PRD Queensland’s corporate head office stated the comments made online by Betheras were serious and concerning and that the matter is under investigation.
Members, how do you perceive the real estate’s behaviour and response to the tenant's question? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Nowadays, a simple question can unexpectedly set off a chain reaction, especially when shared online.

Worse, at times, the query brings consequences—both pros and cons—that extend well beyond the initial click.

A real estate agent recently apologised after a conversation with a potential tenant went ‘popular’ on social media, with many users labelling the remarks as ‘abusive’.

Tim, renting a property, found out his landlord had hired a new agency, PRD Toowoomba.

The initial reactions from community members were favourable, with a particular agent named Mitchell Betheras even earning praise.

Unexpectedly, Betheras, a PRD Toowomba Senior Property Manager from the agency, responded from his personal account in a manner that many found unusual and inappropriate.

‘He was implying he was going to use his authority to kick me out of my property,’ Tim shared with Yahoo News Australia.

‘I fear for the safety of anybody who would have to be under Mitch’s property management.’

View attachment 33423
Real estate agent Mitchell Betheras issued an apology following an inappropriate online rant directed at a tenant. Image source: Pixabay

‘Tim, all you needed to do was contact our office. I'm the be-all and end-all in PRD property management. YOU were going to be my client, but your post made me rethink. I might have an opening... Let me think about it a bit more,’ Mr Betheras initially responded.

Tim promptly asked if his post was inappropriate, while Mr Betheras reiterated, stressing that his company doesn’t function ‘through social media’ and maintains ‘very strict tenant selection’.

‘Again if you're not happy with your rental, please vacate as there will be someone who will reside. Not everyone’s clearly as fussy as you,’ he added.

Another user stepped in to support Tim, telling the agent to ‘pull his head in’ and that his behaviour was ‘confrontational’ and ‘unprofessional’.

Following further exchanges, Mitch commented, ‘closet f*g,’ directed at the new member and told both him and Tim to ‘f**k off’.

Images of the conversation swiftly circulated on different social media platforms, garnering significant attention from the public.

View attachment 33422
The tenant posed a straightforward question, but the situation escalated when estate agent Mitch Betheras responded (left). When another group member attempted to defend Tim, the agent resorted to using a slur (right). Image source: Facebook

Subsequently, individuals started engaging with Mitch’s online profiles, inquiring about his ‘abusive’ remarks.

‘Nobody goes through this low life check out this bulls**t. He threatens people of being kicked out for asking questions [sic],’ another posted to Mitch’s social media account.

‘Holy h**k! This idiot is surely going to lose his job. PRD is a big chain and I reckon his a** is grass once the big bosses get wind of this. So unprofessional!!’ a third said.

Toowoomba PRD’s John Bleakley chose not to discuss the incident when contacted; however, co-principal Kim Taylor informed that they are currently reviewing the matter and emphasised that their team ‘care about people’ and ‘don't want to do wrong by anyone’.

PRD Queensland’s main office also highlighted that the ‘comments made online recently by a staff member of the PRD Toowoomba office are serious and concerning’. It noted that the issue is being investigated.

Tim was surprised that his simple inquiry sparked such a reaction. He described the individual as flaunting power over his living situation and found the behaviour exceedingly unsuitable, especially on social media.

‘I am deeply sorry,’ he wrote, addressing Tim. ‘I want to express my apology. I truly thought you were having a go at me professionally and personally.’

Tim acknowledged the apology but mentioned that if Mr Betheras found his comments offensive, it raised questions about his professional conduct.

Prominent renters’ advocate and content creator Jordie van den Berg shared Tim’s sentiment.

‘There was no way the original query could have been construed as someone ‘having a go at him personally and professionally’ when the original poster probably didn't even know who the h**ll he was,’ he said.

‘He reached out to the poster afterwards asking them to help clear up his reputation, so personally, I believe he’s not concerned about doing the right thing.’

Key Takeaways

• A real estate agent from PRD Toowoomba apologised for his abusive comments in a social media exchange with a prospective tenant.
  • The agent, Mitchell Betheras, had aggressively responded to a simple query posted by the tenant in a local community group, threatening him with eviction.
  • Screenshots of the conversation gained traction on social media, prompting backlash from users who called Betheras’ reaction ‘abusive’ and ‘unprofessional’.
  • PRD Queensland’s corporate head office stated the comments made online by Betheras were serious and concerning and that the matter is under investigation.
Members, how do you perceive the real estate’s behaviour and response to the tenant's question? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Very unprofessional and rude

View attachment 33423

View attachment 33422

Key Takeaways

All REAL ESTATE AGENTS HAVE THEIR HEADS STUCK THAT FAR UP THEIR ASSES AND ALL THEY CAN DO AND SEE IS SHIT. I ALSO HAVE AN ISSUE WITH MY REAL ESTATE IDIOTS ''REAL MARK URBAN'' IN W.A. i HAVE BEEN HERE FOR 14 MONTHS & MY RENT IS AUTO PAID BY ''CENTRELINK'' EVERY FORTNIGHT. NOW THE AGENTS TELL ME I AM A WEEK BEHIND ON MY RENT(HUH!) I WENT &SPOKE WITH A CENTRELINK PERSON & AFTER TWICE CHECKING---MY RENT HAS BEEN SENT TO REALMARK AS USUALL. REALMARK IS INSISTING THAT I AM A WEEK BEHIND & WILL TAKE FURTHER ACTION. I F THIS PROCEEDS I WILL SEEK LEGAL AID (TO SUE.) AS I SAID --ALL REAL ESTATE AGENTS ARE FULL OF CRAP!

Totally unprofessional and rude.
The man should be sacked.
Renters endure enough hassle without having to deal with a threatening real estate agent.
I am speaking as the owner of a small apartment in Melbourne.
I am extremely lucky to have professional, efficient and polite estate agent management in the company I have used for the past 30 years - Buxton Stonnington.
However, if my property manager spoke to my tenant in that manner, I would certainly be filing a complaint with the company.
This is disgusting behaviour, there is no excuse, and should not be tolerated by his company, who should make sure he pays a penalty for bringing the company's reputation into disrepute.

All REAL ESTATE AGENTS HAVE THEIR HEADS STUCK THAT FAR UP THEIR ASSES AND ALL THEY CAN DO AND SEE IS SHIT. I ALSO HAVE AN ISSUE WITH MY REAL ESTATE IDIOTS ''REAL MARK URBAN'' IN W.A. i HAVE BEEN HERE FOR 14 MONTHS & MY RENT IS AUTO PAID BY ''CENTRELINK'' EVERY FORTNIGHT. NOW THE AGENTS TELL ME I AM A WEEK BEHIND ON MY RENT(HUH!) I WENT &SPOKE WITH A CENTRELINK PERSON & AFTER TWICE CHECKING---MY RENT HAS BEEN SENT TO REALMARK AS USUALL. REALMARK IS INSISTING THAT I AM A WEEK BEHIND & WILL TAKE FURTHER ACTION. I F THIS PROCEEDS I WILL SEEK LEGAL AID (TO SUE.) AS I SAID --ALL REAL ESTATE AGENTS ARE FULL OF CRAP!
Hi Sean

I'm not a real estate agent. I have no friends or family who are real estate agents. However, I've met many agents over the years, when renting in the early years of our marriage, and buying and selling homes for the last 51 years. We're currently living in our 18th, and final, home.

In that time, we've only met one agent that we had an issue with. He was brand new in the job and, we chose him to list our property because he said he had several buyers looking for a property like ours. He didn't, which upset us, but it would never occur to us to sue him because of it.

In any job, honest mistakes can be made. At this time of the year especially, people are on holidays and someone different may be handling your account on a temporary basis. I don't know, it's just a suggestion, but I wouldn't let it upset me. Perhaps you could call in to the agency and sort it out in person.

Real estate agents are like people who work in any occupation - there are good ones and bad ones. Give your agency a chance to correct their mistake. You might be surprised at how helpful they are when approached nicely.

View attachment 33423

View attachment 33422

Key Takeaways

This agent should (if not already) be sacked, I worked for PRD in Perth and under no circumstance would any comments of this nature go without consequences. As a PM of 23 years and Triennial holder if this was my business this person would be out the door and as they say feet not touching the ground. he should be reported to the Queensland REBASB board and his license to act as PM be revoked. The industry has too many cowboys and self-indulgent "heroes in their own mind" and to threaten any tenant is unprofessional and unconscionable. to sum up....unbelievable conduct by a (will) be nothing and end (up) all (as) nothing.

Last edited:
Get a ledger of all payments since you took possession, then go to Centrelink and get a list of all payments they made and dates paid to the agent, once you check both ( e.g. reconciliation) it should show who is out by the week (if its the case), if they are wrong seek a written apology from the licensee and PM, if its centrelink then they need to pay up, if no joy with the agent then take it to the real estate business agents supervisory board (REBASB) as its intimidation and threatening behavior by the agency. Good luck.

View attachment 33423

View attachment 33422

Key Takeaways

Unbelievable! And also why whilst I own my own home now, if things change and I need to rent, I'll be at the mercy of these narcissists.

View attachment 33423

View attachment 33422

Key Takeaways

Better as needs to be sacked, anyone that thinks that a fukn reactor is better than anyone but a car salesperson or a politician is delusional, what an ass.

View attachment 33423

View attachment 33422

Key Takeaways

With that level of unprofessionalism, he should be fired and not allowed back in the real estate industry. How dare he. Good on Tim for his mature attitude. From a retired QLD Real estate agent.

View attachment 33423

View attachment 33422

Key Takeaways

This agent’s response was totally uncalled for and unprofessional. He may be (have been?) one of their top agents but he doesn’t seem to have any empathy at all. He should certainly be called to account for his unprovoked abuse.

Reactions: LMW1 and Ricki
Out of line yes!
May have been having a really bad day/month/year/life, or suffer from depression (or heaven forbit drug problems), but no excuse for it!

Apology seemed a bit non genuine also

Sadly so much of this goes on with cyber world/social media these days. People have sure changed for the worse it seems & good manners are becoming a thing of the past unfortunately!

Reactions: Gsr and Ricki
take it up with the agency owner, let them see the post and take their appropriate action, equally make a formal complaint through real estate institute. Not something that needs to be aired on social media unless you get more appropriate response and not just an apology.

Reactions: LMW1

View attachment 33423

View attachment 33422

Key Takeaways

Real estate agents are the lowest form of life...... money hungry

View attachment 33423

View attachment 33422

Key Takeaways

My family have many rental properties and would not want someone with that attitude handling any of them. Renters are people just like use you look after them they look after your property it’s all about respect.

View attachment 33423

View attachment 33422

Key Takeaways

i think its disgusting to treat a tenant or any person with his behaviour, no way was his apology sincere and it was made for him to look good, and maybe to keep company happy, how the hell would you keep someone like this in your company, as how many others has he done this to , im afraid if i was Tim i would be talking to a lawyer,

View attachment 33423

View attachment 33422

Key Takeaways

With that level of unprofessionalism, he should be fired and not allowed back in the real estate industry. How dare he. Good on Tim for his mature attitude. From a retired QLD Real estate agent.
It is not all that unheard of the Real Estate People have an enormous power over tenants. This Guy should have been sacked, never to return. Not as bad, but troubling nevertheless my Son has had the situation by Real Estate Agency that I believe was unjust. Whenever his home
has been checked, the report is always very good. His Partner and himself have always kept their rental property as if it was their own home. The last time they were inspected the owner of the property came too. She was more than happy about how the property was being
cared for. She explained her other property had been totally trashed and it was going to cost a lot of money to repair
the damage that had been done. Bear in mind my Son and Partner are both Disability Pensioners struggling to survive from week to week, but doing their best.
Making sure that their Rent was on time
every week. So after that last inspection,
they were penalised an increase of $50
Dollars a week. Go figure,you have one property totally trashed, and so you increase the Rent on the good Tenants, who look after your Property, and who continue to do that. So now you penalise them with a Rent Increase ?
Maybe I'm
wrong, but wouldn't you think "I don't have to worry about my property in their
hands". So they are now paying $450.00
a week, when they are already struggling
from week to week to pay the "lower" price.
It beggars belief at this turn of events for them. Their health is precarious from day to day, their condition is bad enough to deal with, without this added stress.

It is not all that unheard of the Real Estate People have an enormous power over tenants. This Guy should have been sacked, never to return. Not as bad, but troubling nevertheless my Son has had the situation by Real Estate Agency that I believe was unjust. Whenever his home
has been checked, the report is always very good. His Partner and himself have always kept their rental property as if it was their own home. The last time they were inspected the owner of the property came too. She was more than happy about how the property was being
cared for. She explained her other property had been totally trashed and it was going to cost a lot of money to repair
the damage that had been done. Bear in mind my Son and Partner are both Disability Pensioners struggling to survive from week to week, but doing their best.
Making sure that their Rent was on time
every week. So after that last inspection,
they were penalised an increase of $50
Dollars a week. Go figure,you have one property totally trashed, and so you increase the Rent on the good Tenants, who look after your Property, and who continue to do that. So now you penalise them with a Rent Increase ?
Maybe I'm
wrong, but wouldn't you think "I don't have to worry about my property in their
hands". So they are now paying $450.00
a week, when they are already struggling
from week to week to pay the "lower" price.
It beggars belief at this turn of events for them. Their health is precarious from day to day, their condition is bad enough to deal with, without this added stress.
real estate agents are the lowest form of life.