If you’ve been storing your eggs in the door of your fridge, you’re doing it WRONG! Here’s the reason why

The majority of fridges come with a built-in egg tray located by the doors – and that’s where one would typically store eggs. That’s quite thoughtful of the manufacturer, eh? Well, not exactly.

If you want to keep your eggs fresher for longer, it all comes down to the ideal place to store them… And according to Chris Beasley from the home insurance company Smart Cover, it’s definitely not the egg tray typically seen in fridge doors.

“Eggs store best at consistent temperatures,” Mr Beasley explained. “Which is why you might find they keep better on the top or middle shelf of your fridge.”

xUp7aqig7_H4lwGM305FAC4zUgbw3-ujX6a-Ok2V-IPAEi7UyOeR6M7UB4ZYXwaaUCapBBCA9ksFsnF6JHLLzdBt8yxmpV_I5ZAnF_uqF4_X404n1LpD6MYUSfqe3hN0Pz4XZLJMSjWGppGk7A

Image Credit: Healthline

The area by the door is one of the warmer spots of the fridge. And considering how often we open and close the door throughout the day in order to access our goods, it naturally has a less consistent temperature than other areas.

“Avoiding temperature fluctuation is critical to egg safety. A cold egg left out at room temperature can sweat, facilitating the growth of bacteria that could contaminate the egg. Refrigerated eggs should not be left out for more than two hours.” Australian Farmers advised.

So, if you’re one to merely keep your eggs in the cupboards or kitchen, it’s time to switch things up a bit.

In Australia, most egg producers recommend storing eggs below 15 degrees celsius, making the fridge the best place for them. The Australian Eggs organisation also suggests a “climate-controlled refrigerated environment” for storing eggs.

“The best way to keep eggs is to store them in their original carton in the refrigerator as soon as possible after purchase,” their website states.

hXXPp0hjGJoYAFrpW39AOAzSzVkg8xqv_CRzpzh7d9D47zgtYOJ0ckxQ79vWcySslZLvrX_-ra--z0gKT2mV-EVQtZxos1cBozOzFykNsPEB9QBA0tY90ZGyiGzRtYQSTxXz4nrQThyvFmbiFw

Image Credit: Youtube

“Cartons reduce water loss and protect flavours from other foods being absorbed into the eggs. Storing eggs loose, or in specially designed sections of the refrigerator is not recommended as this also exposes eggs to greater risk of damage.”

Moreover, UK Healthline advised: “Storing your eggs in the fridge is the best way to keep bacteria under control.

“A fresh egg stored at room temperature will start to decline in quality after a few days and need to be used within one to three weeks.”

“Eggs kept in the refrigerator will maintain quality and freshness for at least twice as long.”

How do you normally store your eggs? Were you aware of this hack? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

Want to learn more about how to keep your eggs fresh for longer? Watch the video below:

Video Credit: TheGroceryGame

Sponsored
Never ever thought about it that way, always stored eggs in the door, but it does make sense to store them directly in the fridge rather than the door, will be doing that from now on and along with the milk, (great tip).

Idk....if you can store eggs in a basket on the cupboard one day, but worry about fluctuations in temperature when in a fridge another....you'll go crazy!!!
I've put my eggs in the door holder all my life, never had a bad egg yet!! I think rotation of your stored goods at home is more important..I always put new items behind any products I still have... even canned stuff after a friend of mine had a can of beetroot at the back of her pantry fr years...on a clean out, she decided to open it to use...OMG!! Straight in the bin!! It had rusted inside the can and I've never seen such foul muck in a can in my life!! 🤮🤮

OK the smarty what do I store in that funny egg shaped tray inside the fridge door and I guess also that butter container in the door is wrong too and the bottle shelf is no good for bottled items. I also remember when 'experts' said eggs were no good for you until they decided they were. After 78 years of doing it my way I shall continue to blunder along doing things 'wrong'.

Best stored under 15deg hey? Pomms must have decrepit chooks compared to ours as there are many shops that display the eggs at room temp let alone in any 'cooling' storage.

Reactions: Ricci
I've always stored my eggs in their carton on the second shelf of the fridge.

Considering my 7yrs old has opened the 'fridge door at least 17 times since 2-31pm & it's now 4-21pm I guess nothing is safe,

As I only buy eggs for cake making or baking, I usually only buy a 6 pack and store in the door, will change that habit now and keep them in the fridge proper.

As far as I’m concerned these so called persons that whinge and complain about just about everything should take note of us oldies who actually do everything that everyone says not to. Just an observation from a 70 y.o

Surprise surprise for everybody. AND being truthful I can count the times on one hand that I have EVER placed eggs in the frig. Always cooking the recipe says for cakes "room Temp" for eggs. I buy 1 dozen a week which lasts me & I leave them in their carton.

Reactions: paulamc52 and Ricci