If Princess Diana were alive today, she 'would have understood' why Prince Harry chose to leave the royal family, biographer James Patterson claims

Princess Diana would have understood Prince Harry's decision to step away from the royal family, according to her latest biographer.

In an interview with Entertainment Tonight, author James Patterson said that while Diana would have been sympathetic to Harry, she would also have understood why his brother William has taken a different path.

'I think she would've been very sympathetic, totally sympathetic, for what Harry did, but I think she would've understood Will's path as well. She was that kind of person,' he said.

'She wasn't terribly judgmental.'

Patterson's comments come as Harry and Meghan return to the UK for their first royal engagement since stepping down as senior members of the monarchy.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will visit two charities. They will also be travelling to Germany for an event to mark the Invictus Games anniversary in Dusseldorf.

There have been rumours of tension between the two brothers since Harry and Meghan announced their decision to step back from royal duties, but Patterson's comments suggest that Diana would have been supportive of both her sons no matter what.

2h9KqZerdcO_FQdCmS2uLlT0ah1IlXdVZOjg7xf1k_JTvgPSXsXFcwQpKfrae445V6-FrFC_OHLkrNVptZXhMTgXTtN8KEn64I_f0uYXK0CrQc6y7SiaNCxSGn24IbSgN9KL4jjwdk0UZ-EovbMIYOXzdvsfpcgkKBKHijjnR7S-yW07TjcphDXC

Diana would have been sympathetic to Harry and understood his decision to step down from his duties as a senior royal. Credit: The Daily Mail via Getty Images.

Princess Diana's would-be thoughts on her sons' relationship are coming to light, after the release of a new documentary about Prince William was announced.

Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton, Prince George's godfather, asserts that William constantly prioritises the interests of the monarchy over his friendship with his brother.

Lowther-Pinkerton made the comments on a forthcoming Channel 4 documentary, saying: 'Prince William is very analytical and asks all the questions and makes sure that he's clear what you're asking him to do.'

'His sort of moral compass is set absolutely rigidly due north. He has the clearest understanding of almost anybody I know of what is right and what is wrong and he won't waiver from it, even if it means he's going to take a hit.

'There are many examples of when I worked for him where it would have been very easy to take one route but it wouldn't have been the honourable or the right thing to do so he took the more difficult route.'

Prince William and Prince Harry's rift is deeper than we thought. According to royal biographer Angela Levin, the Duke of Cambridge will want to avoid his younger brother until he's had a chance to read his memoir. Ouch.

Ms Levin stated that Prince William and Kate are probably waiting to see what Prince Harry reveals in his upcoming memoir, expected to be released this winter, before mending any rifts and we can only speculate as to what juicy information might be disclosed in the tell-all book!

'[The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge] are extremely busy at the moment,' she remarked.

'They're moving home, need to settle their children into new schools. They're very busy taking on so many more engagements for the Queen.'

'And I don't know whether William would like to make amends with Harry. I think it's very difficult and certainly not before his memoir comes out because we don't know what he's going to say.'

'[Harry's] been very unkind and cruel so far. We have to wait to see what he does and maybe they won't want to see them until all that's out in the open and they know what he says.'

c5WsFu1SqVG7ZZu-g4LG5kl6nQRRenKbudz0vD-LWkQTJoolJfqaBw6rIK5TIKoV1Zo3gu79NlMwgSGJGJFp0y3Z_66AZ3DU82dUsZbIXYDeqGPoNVeQyOPZTlBms6wK5Q3btbYX55mvANty6nehni8AzRPc9M1OXOFZ24amAIKbcmuM7bRiGL73

A reunion between the Cambridges and the Sussexes is unlikely to happen anytime soon according to sources. Credit: The Daily Mail via Getty Images.

A reunion in the UK in September when the Sussexes arrive, is also doubtful according to Ms Levin because 'I assume that the rift is pretty deep,' adding that 'the reports are that they probably won't.'

Another source agreed, claiming that the Sussexes have no plans to see the Cambridges during their tour, which will instead be devoted to 'helping various causes near to their hearts'.

'I don't think they would bump into one another unless it was pre-arranged,' said Majesty Magazine editor Ingrid Seward.

'I suppose one could go round with some flowers as a peace offering, but remember what happened last time,' she said, alluding to reports that Meghan had allegedly thrown flowers from Kate into the trash following a dispute about bridesmaid outfits prior to Harry and Meghan's wedding in 2018.

While the royal family is no stranger to drama, the rift between Prince Harry and Prince William is especially heartbreaking.

We can only imagine how Princess Diana would have reacted to their feud, but we like to think she would have been the peacemaker. After all, she was always so quick to comfort her boys when they were upset.

We can only hope that the two brothers will eventually reconcile and put an end to this drama. But until then, we'll be hoping for the best for the royal family.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it's high time for the two royal brothers to reconcile?

Sponsored
What an utterly pointless article!
The key words are right at the beginning: "according to her latest biographer". This is nothing but a flog for the latest in a torrent of "What if?" books, with money to the author being the motive. Dross! Seriously, SDC, you can do better than this. While we're here, can you also please get out of the habit of referring to "X-Rated" every time you report something mildly titterworthy?" (Oooh! that might be X-Rated.....)

Events have rather moved on and made this article redundant. We all saw the four of them greeting the crowds over the weekend. There may have been no brotherly banter but then again these are not the times for that type of thing. That they could all travel together in the same car has to be a step in the right direction, it's just a shame that something as dreadful as their grandmothers death had to happen before they were united in the same cause.:(

Princess Diana would have understood Prince Harry's decision to step away from the royal family, according to her latest biographer.

In an interview with Entertainment Tonight, author James Patterson said that while Diana would have been sympathetic to Harry, she would also have understood why his brother William has taken a different path.

'I think she would've been very sympathetic, totally sympathetic, for what Harry did, but I think she would've understood Will's path as well. She was that kind of person,' he said.

Patterson's comments come as Harry and Meghan return to the UK for their first royal engagement since stepping down as senior members of the monarchy.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will visit two charities. They will also be travelling to Germany for an event to mark the Invictus Games anniversary in Dusseldorf.

There have been rumours of tension between the two brothers since Harry and Meghan announced their decision to step back from royal duties, but Patterson's comments suggest that Diana would have been supportive of both her sons no matter what.

2h9KqZerdcO_FQdCmS2uLlT0ah1IlXdVZOjg7xf1k_JTvgPSXsXFcwQpKfrae445V6-FrFC_OHLkrNVptZXhMTgXTtN8KEn64I_f0uYXK0CrQc6y7SiaNCxSGn24IbSgN9KL4jjwdk0UZ-EovbMIYOXzdvsfpcgkKBKHijjnR7S-yW07TjcphDXC

Diana would have been sympathetic to Harry and understood his decision to step down from his duties as a senior royal. Credit: The Daily Mail via Getty Images.

Princess Diana's would-be thoughts on her sons' relationship are coming to light, after the release of a new documentary about Prince William was announced.

Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton, Prince George's godfather, asserts that William constantly prioritises the interests of the monarchy over his friendship with his brother.

Lowther-Pinkerton made the comments on a forthcoming Channel 4 documentary, saying: 'Prince William is very analytical and asks all the questions and makes sure that he's clear what you're asking him to do.'

'His sort of moral compass is set absolutely rigidly due north. He has the clearest understanding of almost anybody I know of what is right and what is wrong and he won't waiver from it, even if it means he's going to take a hit.

'There are many examples of when I worked for him where it would have been very easy to take one route but it wouldn't have been the honourable or the right thing to do so he took the more difficult route.'

Prince William and Prince Harry's rift is deeper than we thought. According to royal biographer Angela Levin, the Duke of Cambridge will want to avoid his younger brother until he's had a chance to read his memoir. Ouch.

Ms Levin stated that Prince William and Kate are probably waiting to see what Prince Harry reveals in his upcoming memoir, expected to be released this winter, before mending any rifts and we can only speculate as to what juicy information might be disclosed in the tell-all book!

'[The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge] are extremely busy at the moment,' she remarked.

'They're moving home, need to settle their children into new schools. They're very busy taking on so many more engagements for the Queen.'

'And I don't know whether William would like to make amends with Harry. I think it's very difficult and certainly not before his memoir comes out because we don't know what he's going to say.'

'[Harry's] been very unkind and cruel so far. We have to wait to see what he does and maybe they won't want to see them until all that's out in the open and they know what he says.'

c5WsFu1SqVG7ZZu-g4LG5kl6nQRRenKbudz0vD-LWkQTJoolJfqaBw6rIK5TIKoV1Zo3gu79NlMwgSGJGJFp0y3Z_66AZ3DU82dUsZbIXYDeqGPoNVeQyOPZTlBms6wK5Q3btbYX55mvANty6nehni8AzRPc9M1OXOFZ24amAIKbcmuM7bRiGL73

A reunion between the Cambridges and the Sussexes is unlikely to happen anytime soon according to sources. Credit: The Daily Mail via Getty Images.

A reunion in the UK in September when the Sussexes arrive, is also doubtful according to Ms Levin because 'I assume that the rift is pretty deep,' adding that 'the reports are that they probably won't.'

Another source agreed, claiming that the Sussexes have no plans to see the Cambridges during their tour, which will instead be devoted to 'helping various causes near to their hearts'.

'I don't think they would bump into one another unless it was pre-arranged,' said Majesty Magazine editor Ingrid Seward.

'I suppose one could go round with some flowers as a peace offering, but remember what happened last time,' she said, alluding to reports that Meghan had allegedly thrown flowers from Kate into the trash following a dispute about bridesmaid outfits prior to Harry and Meghan's wedding in 2018.

While the royal family is no stranger to drama, the rift between Prince Harry and Prince William is especially heartbreaking.

We can only imagine how Princess Diana would have reacted to their feud, but we like to think she would have been the peacemaker. After all, she was always so quick to comfort her boys when they were upset.

We can only hope that the two brothers will eventually reconcile and put an end to this drama. But until then, we'll be hoping for the best for the royal family.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it's high time for the two royal brothers to reconcile?

Reactions: Ricci

If Diana was still alive this would not be happening. He is using her death as an excuse for his poor behaviour.

Reactions: relljube and Ricci

Not interested at all sick of hearing about the royal family amen margie :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:(y)(y)(y)(y)

I think it would be nice but it is really between them. Families have rifts and some don’t speak, one of my daughters caused a serious incident in our family and hasn’t had contact with us for two years. A lot of people outside the family had opinions that they should have kept to themselves. The same about the Royal family. The media has done a lot of harm.I like Prince Harry and the way he gets attacked in my eyes is despicable. When the four were walking around talking to the crowd stood out to me for the wrong reason. When Meghan was shaking hands a talking to a lady and the one next to her was in my opinion quite rude and disrespectful. That will be replayed all across the world.

What an utterly pointless article!
The key words are right at the beginning: "according to her latest biographer". This is nothing but a flog for the latest in a torrent of "What if?" books, with money to the author being the motive. Dross! Seriously, SDC, you can do better than this. While we're here, can you also please get out of the habit of referring to "X-Rated" every time you report something mildly titterworthy?" (Oooh! that might be X-Rated.....)
Yes!

If Princess Diana was alive today, Harry would have successfully grown up and matured and would have been able to be a leader instead of needing a manipulator to give him direction constantly... and he wouldn't have been fooled by someone emulating her, wearing her perfume, leaning on his mummy issues!!

I think it would be nice but it is really between them. Families have rifts and some don’t speak, one of my daughters caused a serious incident in our family and hasn’t had contact with us for two years. A lot of people outside the family had opinions that they should have kept to themselves. The same about the Royal family. The media has done a lot of harm.I like Prince Harry and the way he gets attacked in my eyes is despicable. When the four were walking around talking to the crowd stood out to me for the wrong reason. When Meghan was shaking hands a talking to a lady and the one next to her was in my opinion quite rude and disrespectful. That will be replayed all across the world.
But who was it that got the media involved?? A personal Oprah event no less!!??? Humm??

• Haha