Identifying AI made easier: Meta rolls out new measures for AI-generated tools

Artificial intelligence (AI) is becoming a popular tool in generating content in today’s era.

In today’s story, Meta, the parent company of social media platforms Facebook and Instagram, is taking steps to ensure transparency and authenticity.

The tech giant is implementing new measures to make AI-produced images more identifiable across its platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, and Threads.

Nick Clegg, President of Global Affairs at Meta, expressed his enthusiasm for the creative potential of AI tools, such as Meta's AI image generator.

‘It’s been hugely encouraging to witness the explosion of creativity from people using our new generative AI tools, like our Meta AI image generator, which helps people create pictures with simple text prompts,’ he said.

compressed-shutterstock_2131709785.jpeg
Meta is improving its AI tools. Credit: Shutterstock

‘People are often coming across AI-generated content for the first time, and our users have told us they appreciate transparency around this new technology.’

Meta is developing ways to label photorealistic content created using AI called ‘Imagine with Meta AI’. All content created using Meta's AI feature is tagged with 'Imagined with AI'.

‘We want to be able to do this with content created with other companies’ tools, too,’ Clegg added.

‘That’s why we’ve been working with industry partners to align on common technical standards that signal when a piece of content has been created using AI.’

‘Being able to detect these signals will make it possible for us to label AI-generated images that users post to Facebook, Instagram and Threads.’

‘We’re building this capability now, and in the coming months, we’ll start applying labels in all languages supported by each app.’

When images are created using Meta's AI feature, visible and invisible watermarks are placed on those images.

‘Since AI-generated content appears across the internet, we’ve been working with other companies in our industry to develop common standards for identifying it through forums like the Partnership on AI (PAI),’ Clegg explained.

‘The invisible markers we use for Meta AI images–IPTC metadata and invisible watermarks–are in line with PAI’s best practices.’

However, the challenge lies in applying these signals to AI tools that generate audio and video content at the same scale.

compressed-Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 7.06.21 AM.jpeg
The home page of Imagine with Meta AI. Credit: Imagine with Meta AI

‘While the industry works towards this capability, we’re adding a feature for people to disclose when they share AI-generated video or audio so we can add a label to it,’ Clegg said.

‘We’ll require people to use this disclosure and label tool when they post organic content with a photorealistic video or realistic-sounding audio that was digitally created or altered, and we may apply penalties if they fail to do so.’

‘If we determine that digitally created or altered image, video or audio content creates a particularly high risk of materially deceiving the public on a matter of importance, we may add a more prominent label if appropriate, so people have more information and context,’ he added.

However, invisible markers can be removed, and Meta is working on ways to identify AI-generated content even if these markers have been removed.

‘This work is especially important as this is likely to become an increasingly adversarial space in the years ahead,’ Clegg noted.

‘People and organisations that actively want to deceive people with AI-generated content will look for ways around safeguards that are put in place to detect it.’

‘Across our industry and society more generally, we’ll need to keep looking for ways to stay one step ahead.’

‘As (AI-generated content) becomes more common in the years ahead, there will be debates across society about what should and shouldn’t be done to identify both synthetic and non-synthetic content,’ he added.

‘Industry and regulators may move towards ways of authenticating content that hasn’t been created using AI as well as content that has.’

‘What we’re setting out today are the steps we think are appropriate for content shared on our platforms right now. But we’ll continue to watch and learn, and we’ll keep our approach under review as we do.’

AI has opened up a world of possibilities, from generating images from simple text prompts to creating photorealistic videos and audio—and even finding love. But technology is not without its drawbacks.

In a previous story, cybercriminals used AI to create fake online personas through bots to deceive potential victims on Australian dating apps. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • Meta is taking steps to ensure AI-generated images are labelled for transparency, with a new feature that labels such content 'Imagined with AI'.
  • The company is collaborating with industry partners to establish common standards to signal when content is created by AI, allowing for consistent labelling across platforms.
  • Meta is implementing visible and invisible watermarks on images created using its AI tools and aligning with best practices outlined by the Partnership on AI.
  • While there are current limitations in labelling AI-generated audio and video, Meta is developing features to allow users to disclose such content, with the intention of labelling it and possibly applying penalties for non-disclosure.
What are your thoughts on AI-generated content? Have you encountered any on your social media feeds? Let us know in the comments below.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: NotNats and Agave
Sponsored
Facebook has become a tool for the woke and leftists. I can’t post an opinion that doesn’t match their beliefs without it being removed immediately. I don’t think they even read the comments fully. It just looks for key words and if it finds one it deletes anything you have said. I have found that the only way around this is to keep rephrasing your comment until it accepts it. That means that what you really want to say never gets up there. And they have removed the general share function whereby you could share a comment or post to all your group. Now it has to be specific people or things like old houses groups.what’s the point?

Reactions: amandaloisjupp1961
Facebook would be better off just making it work correctly. It has been in a horrible mess for months now. Hardly worth looking at now. So much unasked for garbage that it's impossible to find your friends'posts, which I want to see rather than the "stuff" Facebook thinks I should be interested in and delighted to see. I'm NOT. FIX FACEBOOK!!!!!

I deleted my Facebook account over a decade ago and have never regretted it.

I use a small chrome attachment called "Fluff Buster Purity". It's a small utility that can be tailored to block the garbage that you don't want to see.

I’m new to facebook & only joined to follow a few small charities that have info online. I have very little interest in social media & still haven’t worked out how to actually do anything let alone how to find anything. I did join a crochet site and apart from liking photos doubt that I’ll ever bother posting anything. My young neighbour seems to share so much of her life on the site which I find a bit disturbing. AI does worry me a bit, will have to have a conversation with my son about it all.

I use Facebook mainly for my sewing groups but also follow cooking and gardening. I do not share any family details or photos. One time I was blocked for replying to a comment. The person was talking about perfume and asked what was one that we used years ago. I replied my favourite was Goya Blak rose and I found out from others the word black is not to be used
I consider that crazy as it was the colour of of a dark rose.

I use Facebook mainly for my sewing groups but also follow cooking and gardening. I do not share any family details or photos. One time I was blocked for replying to a comment. The person was talking about perfume and asked what was one that we used years ago. I replied my favourite was Goya Blak rose and I found out from others the word black is not to be used
How bizarre must remember that not that Im likely to ever post anything. I must look into sewing & craft groups & would love to find makers of teddy bears so I could maybe offload a bit of my fur. I haven’t even got an id photo & probably will use one of my favourite bear that I made a few years ago. Have to work out how to do such things. I actually got suspended in my first week, much to my friends amusement, but did get unsuspended, with an apology. Maybe they thought I wasn’t real.

Reactions: Jersey Girl
How bizarre must remember that not that Im likely to ever post anything. I must look into sewing & craft groups & would love to find makers of teddy bears so I could maybe offload a bit of my fur. I haven’t even got an id photo & probably will use one of my favourite bear that I made a few years ago. Have to work out how to do such things. I actually got suspended in my first week, much to my friends amusement, but did get unsuspended, with an apology. Maybe they thought I wasn’t real.
All you need do is search for teddy bears or any other interest you have. I do not use my photo just a picture of a plant.

Yeah yeah ; I know I'm an old fat in the dark ages , but to me AI has to be the most dangerous "invention" in my life time . If digital photography (that I embrace/use everyday) was scary enough , AI is totally terrifying IMO and Governments are way way behind in protecting people from the Bad Guys with AI tools
Sorry

Reactions: NotNats and Davmes
I remember Black Rose perfume by Goya it was lovely back then. Not sure if I'd like it now 50+ yes later.

Reactions: PattiB
How dare they try and make me use this crap - My computer automatically updated this crap without me agreeing to it. My brother is going to help me to disable this crap I never wanted or will ever use.

I am 77 and have always loved technology. I recently did a survey and for a reward I got some virtual reality glasses. Still to try them out. The new AI technology is excellent for creating art. An example below shows what is possible with a simple prompt.

Attachments

• OIG1.jpg
    OIG1.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: PattiB