etienn

Aug 17, 2022
I was nearly caught

This scam was a double agent! I received an email congratulating me for ordering an iPhone on eBay for $699 with an attachment from PayPal giving details. The delivery address for the iPhone was someone in NSW. The letter said to ring this Sydney number if it's not you, so I did. It was 6am when I called the number. also 6am in Sydney.

The phone picked up immediately by an Indian gentleman (no press this button with waiting as per normal) so that should have been a warning, but he was well trained and so helpful to find out how someone had got hold of my details. After many 'security' questions and super-simple instructions on opening a web page ( like slowly saying w w w then dot as in sentence stop), he asked me to go on to one called easydesk.com. I have used this before when I needed help from a friend with something. I enables you to share the screen. But it does more than that. You would hand over your computer and, in this case, he would have access to everything!!

I then challenged him. He had asked me to write down his employee number and name. His name was Eric Wilson. At risk of being called a racist, I said but you sound very Indian to me. That's a nice English name. You are scamming me! So he just said no problem, sir and rang off.

Eric Wilson is the common name that is a scammer that comes up on the scammer pay back videos on face book also easy desk is the app they ask you to down load. So they can take over your computer.
It’s definitely a scammer

This is not even a tricky one....it screams scam....akin to the recorded message ..."you have just been charged $400 for an Amazon sale". Any unsolicited calls of any nature are 99.99% likel to be an attempted scam. If in any doubt go to the bank or call the financial institution ....the number to call is on the card.

Just had one this morning saying I owe McAfee $987.00 for 5 years use without paying (never used it) we will take it from your paypal account or we will take legal action well all Paypal account are unlinked and empty now.

HAd one half an hour ago from "NBN" claiming my IP address had been made public and I was at risk! played along for 5 minutes fro amusement and then outright said this is a scam. Cheryl got all outraged and said Why are you wasting my time! didnt achieve anything but I felt better than telling them to get stuffed and get a real job before hanging up. My save at least one person from such a call.

I have had 4 Emails from a Ken Allen regarding photos I have deleted them as I don't know a Ken Allen

Reactions: Gsr
I've now blocked all numbers from Australia except Qld. Genuine business will be received, Blocked 88 calls since 1st Jan. All scammers. Most come from Sydney and Melbourne. I guess it won't be long before they start buying Queensland numbers.

Reactions: Gsr and Davmes
I got exactly the same email, only the iPhone purchase was $2046. I knew straight way it was a scam and sent the email the SCAMWATCH and Paypal.
Beware people they are getting more and more sneaky everyday.

I have had 4 Emails from a Ken Allen regarding photos I have deleted them as I don't know a Ken Allen
I get so many of these emails. They have ghosted people on my friend list. So annoying. Block them every time and they just change their address