'I love you a bushel and a peck': Great-grandma with dementia croons over baby in touching video

It’s a moment that will be remembered and cherished by one family for years to come.

Connie Lynn Hanson recently uploaded a video of her 89-year-old mother Elinor, who has dementia, singing a much-loved song to her new great-grandchild.

The beautiful moment has since gone viral, with many people across the world melting at the sight of the sweet exchange between Elinor and the newborn baby.

In the heartwarming video, Connie is seen introducing Elinor to her great-grandson, a baby boy named Grayson.

Without hesitation, her mother looks into the baby’s eyes and says, 'Okay, it goes like this, now are you listening?' before launching into her touching rendition of the song ‘A Bushel and a Peck’.

‘I love you a bushel and a peck, a bushel and a peck, and a hug around the neck,’ Elinor sang.

‘And a barrel and a heap, and a barrel and a heap, and I’m talking in my sleep about you… about you, ‘cause I love you — I’m going to cry.’

Screenshot_7.png
In the now-viral video, great-grandma Elinor was unable to hold her tears while gently singing to baby Greyson. Image Credit: Instagram/@fsvivace

The great-grandmother continued for a short while, but her words were barely audible in between small sobs of affection.

Connie, understandably moved, was only able to ‘Aww’ in response.

Does anyone have tissues lying around? We’re getting misty-eyed over here…

Many people took to the comments to share their reactions to Elinor’s song, and to say she tugged at their heartstrings is an understatement.

‘The sweetest video ever,’ one woman said. ‘Both my dad and my brother suffered from dementia. It is such a cruel disease. I’m so glad this family will have this video to remember this sweet lady for years to come.’

Another added: ‘It warmed my heart and broke it at the same time. My parents became great-grandparents near the end of their lives. The babies brought them such joy.’

‘My dad had dementia but when he saw the babies his eyes would light up and he would come back to life again, just for a moment. Thank you for sharing this with us.’

And a third added: ‘The most beautiful and bittersweet video. My grandma used to say the same to me all the time. What a moment to capture.’

The song seems to hold great value within the family with Connie confirming in an interview that Elinor has sung it to her five children, 18 grandchildren, and 17 great-grandchildren.

‘This night made her so happy,’ she said of her mum.

Source: YouTube/Croonr1

According to the Smithsonian National Institute of American History, ‘A Bushel and a Peck’ was written in 1950 and featured in the musical Guys and Dolls.

It’s unknown how or when the phrase became popular. That said, it’s used to say that there’s a lot of something — similar to how some Aussies use the word ‘heaps’.

Pecks and bushels are forms of measurement used in crops, with a peck amounting to two gallons and a bushel equivalent to four pecks (eight gallons).

Key Takeaways

• A video of a great-grandmother with dementia singing to a newborn baby has gone viral.
  • The video shows 89-year-old Elinor singing 'A Bushel and a Peck' to her great-grandson Greyson.
  • Many people were touched by the heartwarming moment and commented on the video.
  • Elinor’s daughter Connie, herself a grandmother, said her musically inclined mum was so happy the night she recorded the video.
Connie also admitted to being surprised her mother recalled the lyrics to the song so well considering Elinor’s dementia worsened in 2020.

‘It's amazing how the brain can lose so much but music somehow stays. Music really is amazing for healing and memory,’ she added.

She also shared that her mum enjoyed singing at weddings and in choirs in her younger years.

But if you were to ask Connie what about the stunning moment it was that moved her the most, it would have to be when Elinor looked her great-grandchild in the eye and asked if he was listening.

‘That’s my mum that I remember,’ she said.
Tip
If you or anyone you know has questions about dementia, reach the National Dementia Helpline at 1800 100 500
As the bittersweet nature of this story highlights, it’s so important to capture and enjoy the little moments with our family and loved ones.

You never know the impact that one moment may have on a person’s life, so it’s wise to savour each special moment that comes our way.

Speaking of singers, did you know that one singing legend was recently diagnosed with dementia too?

A recent study also found that a surprising device might play a key role in reducing one’s risk of developing dementia.

Have you ever experienced a moment like Elinor and Greyson’s with your family?

Tell us your special story in the comments below!

Source: Instagram/@fsvivace

Sponsored
How
It’s a moment that will be remembered and cherished by one family for years to come.

Connie Lynn Hanson recently uploaded a video of her 89-year-old mother Elinor, who has dementia, singing a much-loved song to her new great-grandchild.

The beautiful moment has since gone viral, with many people across the world melting at the sight of the sweet exchange between Elinor and the newborn baby.

In the heartwarming video, Connie is seen introducing Elinor to her great-grandson, a baby boy named Grayson.

Without hesitation, her mother looks into the baby’s eyes and says, 'Okay, it goes like this, now are you listening?' before launching into her touching rendition of the song ‘A Bushel and a Peck’.

‘I love you a bushel and a peck, a bushel and a peck, and a hug around the neck,’ Elinor sang.

‘And a barrel and a heap, and a barrel and a heap, and I’m talking in my sleep about you… about you, ‘cause I love you — I’m going to cry.’

View attachment 13229
In the now-viral video, great-grandma Elinor was unable to hold her tears while gently singing to baby Greyson. Image Credit: Instagram/@fsvivace

The great-grandmother continued for a short while, but her words were barely audible in between small sobs of affection.

Many people took to the comments to share their reactions to Elinor’s song, and to say she tugged at their heartstrings is an understatement.

‘The sweetest video ever,’ one woman said. ‘Both my dad and my brother suffered from dementia. It is such a cruel disease. I’m so glad this family will have this video to remember this sweet lady for years to come.’

Another added: ‘It warmed my heart and broke it at the same time. My parents became great-grandparents near the end of their lives. The babies brought them such joy.’

‘My dad had dementia but when he saw the babies his eyes would light up and he would come back to life again, just for a moment. Thank you for sharing this with us.’

And a third added: ‘The most beautiful and bittersweet video. My grandma used to say the same to me all the time. What a moment to capture.’

The song seems to hold great value within the family with Connie confirming in an interview that Elinor has sung it to her five children, 18 grandchildren, and 17 great-grandchildren.

According to the Smithsonian National Institute of American History, ‘A Bushel and a Peck’ was written in 1950 and featured in the musical Guys and Dolls.

It’s unknown how or when the phrase became popular. That said, it’s used to say that there’s a lot of something — similar to how some Aussies use the word ‘heaps’.

Pecks and bushels are forms of measurement used in crops, with a peck amounting to two gallons and a bushel equivalent to four pecks (eight gallons).

Key Takeaways

• A video of a great-grandmother with dementia singing to a newborn baby has gone viral.
  • The video shows 89-year-old Elinor singing 'A Bushel and a Peck' to her great-grandson Greyson.
  • Many people were touched by the heartwarming moment and commented on the video.
  • Elinor’s daughter Connie, herself a grandmother, said her musically inclined mum was so happy the night she recorded the video.
Connie also admitted to being surprised her mother recalled the lyrics to the song so well considering Elinor’s dementia worsened in 2020.

‘It's amazing how the brain can lose so much but music somehow stays. Music really is amazing for healing and memory,’ she added.

She also shared that her mum enjoyed singing at weddings and in choirs in her younger years.

But if you were to ask Connie what about the stunning moment it was that moved her the most, it would have to be when Elinor looked her great-grandchild in the eye and asked if he was listening.

Tip
If you or anyone you know has questions about dementia, reach the National Dementia Helpline at 1800 100 500
As the bittersweet nature of this story highlights, it’s so important to capture and enjoy the little moments with our family and loved ones.

You never know the impact that one moment may have on a person’s life, so it’s wise to savour each special moment that comes our way.

Speaking of singers, did you know that one singing legend was recently diagnosed with dementia too?

A recent study also found that a surprising device might play a key role in reducing one’s risk of developing dementia.

How beautiful!!

View attachment 13229

Key Takeaways

Tip

Beautiful ❤❤❤❤❤❤

View attachment 13229

Key Takeaways

Tip

Music really does stand the test of time! It can be a magical place to visit. This is a truly beautiful video.