SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

April Bradford

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2022
I have terminal cancer and my biggest fear is leaving my daughter with my husband. Is there anything I can do?

Having to face your own mortality is never easy. This is especially true if you have young children or grandchildren at home who will be left behind when you're gone.

As a parent and grandparent, it's natural to want to make sure that your family is taken care of – both emotionally and financially – when you're no longer here. But, if you're facing terminal cancer and don't have much time left, this can feel like an impossible task.

If you find yourself in this situation, the most important thing you can do is to talk to your loved ones about your fears and concerns. It's also important to make sure that your legal and financial affairs are in order. This includes things like creating a will, appointing a guardian for any minors in your care, and setting up a trust, if possible.

But what happens when your partner in life, and parent to your child, doesn’t step up?

Unfortunately, that’s the position one Australian found herself in. She turned to the internet for advice.

The anonymous poster was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer three years ago – around the same time her only child, a daughter, turned eight. The cancer was discovered too late for a cure and she was initially given less than two years to live; however, she has defied doctors' predictions so far and is still living day-to-day.

In the post, she says, ‘I will probably die within the next few years – I was initially given less than two years to live but have bucked the prognosis for now. I am in a treatment that has very severe side effects, the key of which is extreme fatigue. Nonetheless, I try to make the best of it and exercise almost every day as a way to counteract the pain and fatigue.’

She says her husband refuses to take better care of himself or change his lifestyle in any way – even though he knows full well that his poor health is having a negative impact on their daughter's well-being too.

She goes into detail, explaining:

‘My issue is my husband. He drinks excessively and has never exercised. Since the diagnosis, these issues have gotten worse to the point where he quit his job and spends most of his days on the internet. He refuses to take better care of himself, although he has tried to quit drinking multiple times to no avail. He is grumpy, depressed and very unpleasant to be around, not to mention a very bad example for our daughter. He is often very impatient with her and very short-tempered. I am scared for her and any time I bring this up, he gets angry. Financially we are OK as I have a good disability plan and good insurance, but I worry for him and her future with him.’

It is awful that, on top of her own mortality, she is left to deal with difficult feelings of guilt, resentment and concern.

She concludes her post by asking:

‘If he is acting this way now, what will he do when my disease progresses to the point where I can’t function at such a high level (I currently do the majority of the household chores)? How do I get him to “grow up” and start taking better care of himself to ensure our daughter’s future?’

t2KocyrpKcjg_qSDHN74p14mbLx6nkYFj5pJ-Umf9mj6JYTfRH5r8T6BqM86RV66Bi5-nSf_UwdCFn89bEMF3Fv4cG8NSFZF0kI413RWsOlgPCWy_zEuvDpuzFzPTnchoRWXDJ-RS5Rz2Pu7fEHC2WRgwvAGwQ_-2RjJWzgDHKZOsCGO1pSVIM3cBg

You never have to deal with burdens alone. Image Credit: Pexels

Eleanor, Advice Columnist for The Guardian, weighed in. Here’s what she had to say.

‘In answering your question, I wanted to speak to some grief counsellors to make sure you had their expertise. They said it sounds like your husband may be not processing his own grief terribly well – that alcohol, games or abandoning housework may be his way of retreating from the reality of your diagnosis.’

‘Many of us avoid thinking about death our whole lives because to do so risks total ruination; we pull away from friends who are bereaved or ill because we need the illusion of immortality to function.’

‘It may be that your husband’s slackness and irritability aren’t failures to realise what rests on his shoulders now but responses to realising it all too well. He may fear he’ll be crushed under its weight.’

Unfortunately, there is limited time to reach a solution. So what can she do?

In terms of how she can get her husband to ‘grow up’ Eleanor had this advice. ‘If his behaviour at the moment is a response to grief – depression or avoidance – then growing up may not be something you can make him do.’

‘You cannot lever him into the humility and commitment that real change requires.’ Let’s sit for a moment with this advice because it rings true for so many situations in life.

‘All you can do is bravely and candidly say what you have said to me – and it may be that as long as you don’t tell him this truth, he will not change. But this does not guarantee that he will change once you do.’

She then poses a necessary but difficult question. ‘What do you do if he doesn’t grow up?’

Only the original poster can answer this question and it's a cruel twist of fate that she has to.

‘Sometimes we ask for advice because we’re hoping that someone else will be able to see something in our situation that we haven’t; a concealed nook or passageway that gives us a way out without a painful conflict.’

‘But in this extraordinarily difficult situation, I think there’s no secret nook. The options are that he changes or that he doesn’t.’

No one knows how much time they have left on this earth. However, if you are facing terminal cancer, it's important to take steps now to ensure that your children will be taken care of when you're gone, even if it involves difficult conversations.

Eleanor goes on to ask whether he has earned her trust. Does he deserve the task of looking after her beloved daughter? Is he fit for the task?

If not, there are options she can pursue. She can legally formalise the role of godparents, siblings, or other trusted adults in her daughter’s life.

Ultimately, Eleanor suggests being prepared for the worst possibility rather than expending all energy on hoping the father will step up. We have to agree.

Members, what advice would you give to someone in this incredibly difficult situation?

Such a tragic story! I feel for that poor woman. My thoughts are that the husband needs counselling. Family counselling would also be helpful. The husband needs medical support to cut down on his drinkung and if he is diagnosed an alcoholic to quit drinking altogether. He also needs support to cut down on or quit smoking, which may not eventuate until he is a widow.
Other options needs to be investigated for who is responsible, stable & trustworthy to care for the 8yrs daughter, who may be at very serious risk if left in the care of a drunken father.

You do the majority of the housework!!!!!I guess your husband is of no help in his state every day. Why doesnt he at least get you help a couple of days during the week.

Reactions: RTS and Ricci
You do the majority of the housework!!!!!I guess your husband is of no help in his state every day. Why doesnt he at least get you help a couple of days during the week.
Yeah its a bit suss that he wont contribute to the daily chores, but there seems to be a lot missing from this post, as the child is now around 11, why can't she help with the housework a bit? What's her view on her fathers drinking problem, does the guy actually work 9 to 5 then comes home and drinks or is he unemployed and doesn't care?

In June this year I was diagnosed with bowel cancer I'm 66 single and really have no family in this state or in a position to assist.

I'm lucky, I never had children and have no assets being on a DSP as sole income and renting.

The bowel was resected and they say they got it all but I am doing Chemo so I can relate to often severe side effects. such as hand and foot syndrome.

For me there are no help groups support other than the fantastic nurses and Dr at the cancer council unit given I am not terminal. My landlord is selling up next year and I'm out on my arse with nowhere affordable within 200 klms so I have a lot of stress also but NOT nearly as much as this poor lady.

My advise: FWIW:
Talk to the daughter, ask her opinions, get her involved in OP's life while she can and set up restraints/constraints to protect daughter from having to live with dad, as she will then be forced to replace Mum as cook, cleaner etc

Praying for the OP

Any advice about getting the husband to change or go to counselling will probably fall on deaf ears. I'd teach my daughter how to be as self-reliant as an eight year old can be with simple recipes, how to operate the washing machine etc.
Hopefully her daughter will grow up to be a capable adult.

My hubby died last year from cancer. For about 2 years before he died I was seeing a counsellors at the Cancer Centre. My local was Campbelltown NSW but there are counsellors most hospitals. These are available to all members of the family & they have grief counsellors as well attached to the pallative care unit that can talk to family members afterwards. Mine were fabulous at giving advise & listening to my concerns. You just need to speak to your Oncologist & they will tell you what is available. This service was free of charge. They also gave my husband free remedial massage sessions or at a much reduced rate which he found helped a lot. I was much better prepared for what lay ahead because I made sure everything was in place & because I looked after my mental health. I also have amazing friends that are still checking up on me to make sure I’m ok. If I’m having a bad day I will pick up the phone & ring someone plus my doctor checks on me as well when I see him each month for meds. Even the neighbours check on me. She needs to be talking to people to inquire what help there is for them all now & in the future. I do think teaching her daughter the basics of cooking cleaning & doing the washing as already suggested would be very beneficial as well. I wish this lady the strength to have all the tools she & her family need for the future. You also need to discuss funeral arrangements. Most if this work I had done before my husband passed away as in songs, hymns, prayers, phots, pall bearers, speakers etc down to your undertaker & if you want to be cremated or buried. The more of this you have planned the easier it is when the time comes. My Granddaughters actually put together the photo tribute & music for their Grandfather that we used at the funeral. They also formed a guard of honour for him with the flowers & photos that I wanted on top of his coffin. This also makes the undertakers job a lot easier if you know what you want & it’s either preplanned or written down that it can just be passed over.

Reactions: RTS and burlighs