'I even moved houses': Woman recounts her creepy online sale-turned-nightmare

Selling items online has become common for many, as it offers a convenient way to declutter and make extra cash.

Platforms like Facebook Marketplace have surged in popularity due to their ease of use and the ability to connect with local buyers.

However, a woman's harrowing experience revealed that this convenience can sometimes come with unexpected and terrifying risks.

Melbourne resident Tania shared her ordeal on social media, which began when she decided to sell an old television on Facebook Marketplace.

After listing the item, she received a message from a man expressing interest in purchasing the TV.

'I said to him, "Cool, please come over and have a look." He sounded keen, and he was coming to pick it up,' Tania recounted.

'Thankfully, I was home with my housemate, so we took the TV outside so he's not coming in.'

compressed-pexels-jeshoots-com-147458-1201996.jpeg
An online transaction quickly went sour after a man made creepy advances to Tania and her housemate. Image Credit: Pexels/JE Shoots

However, the supposed straightforward transaction quickly turned into a nightmare.

'He kind of just looked at the TV a few times, and he's like, "Cool, cool yep…", and then he switches to us and he starts saying, "So do you girls smoke?"' Tania shared.

While Tania emphasised that she needed to sell the TV, the man refused to leave.

Instead, he asked if they were 'open to trying new things' and suggested they 'smoke' and 'fool around'.

'My housemate got pretty loud and started raising her voice. She said, "I think you should go mate if you're not interested in buying the TV, because we've got plans for tonight." She was stern and assertive,' Tamia concluded the story.

Tania's terrifying encounter is a reminder of the potential dangers of online marketplaces.

The anonymity and ease of access to personal information can encourage individuals with malicious intent.

'I was so terrified after this experience that I deleted everything from Facebook Marketplace and gave the TV to a friend who needed it,' Tania lamented.

'I was so traumatised. I even moved house as I thought I saw that man's car outside our home several times later. It scared me. I hope no one will have to experience anything like this. It was pretty scary.'

To help prevent similar incidents, here are some safety tips for selling items on platforms like Facebook Marketplace:
  1. Meet in public places: Always arrange to meet buyers in public spaces such as busy parking lots, cafes, or shopping centres. Many police stations also offer parking lots as safe zones for online transactions.
  2. Bring a friend: Bring someone if you must meet a buyer or seller. Having another person present can deter potential threats.
  3. Avoid giving personal details: Refrain from sharing your home address or personal phone number. Use the in-app messaging service to communicate, and consider using a Google Voice number if a phone call is necessary.
  4. Trust your instincts: If something feels off about a potential buyer or seller, trust your gut and cancel the transaction. No sale is worth compromising your safety.
  5. Report suspicious behaviour: If you encounter someone who makes you uncomfortable or acts up, report them to the platform and, if necessary, to the local authorities.
  6. Use safe payment methods: Opt for cashless payment options to avoid needing in-person exchanges. For cash payments, count them in a safe place.

Tania's experience is a cautionary tale for all Australians using online marketplaces.

While these platforms can be handy, always prioritise personal safety.

By taking the proper precautions and staying vigilant, you can protect yourself from potential harm and ensure your online selling experience is profitable and safe.
Key Takeaways

• Melbourne resident Tania shared her terrifying encounter with a 'creepy' stranger who came to her house, pretending to buy a TV off Facebook Marketplace.
  • The man displayed inappropriate behaviour and made unwanted advances towards Tania and her housemate, making them for their safety.
  • Tania removed her listing, gave away the TV, and moved houses out of fear as she kept seeing the man's car near her home.
  • Tania shared her experience as a warning to be cautious when selling items online. She hoped it would not happen to anyone.
Do you have any tips for a safe online shopping experience? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

Sponsored
unfortunately there is alot of Creeps out there. Social media gives them that opportunity. also marketplace is ripe for scammers. Cash is king in those cases.

Reactions: PattiB and Jennie
lf your selling something big like a TV you could put it in the garage or outside and make sure your with family or friends .State before hand that you want cash,l wouldn't want anyone coming at night.

A plan for when you are selling small items. I realise this would not work with larger items, but do postage only. Get THEIR address and state in your ads that you will post item. This eliminates any person to person contact and you can add the cost of postage (a reasonable amount that the buyer is willing to pay). If you need to give them a contact means then use FB messenger instead of a cell phone number. I know this seems only logical but just thinking out loud!! hehe..............