"I didn't want our life to turn upside down": Woman hides her lottery winnings from her husband… for a GOOD reason

In a story that was posted on the popular forum site Reddit, one woman shared that she once won the lottery, amounting to almost half a million dollars.

However, she also admitted that she hid her winnings from her fiance (now husband) for several years… and she claimed that it was all for a good reason.

It was in August 2014 when the woman, whom we’ll call Rachel (not her real name) for this story, learned that she had won the lottery.

Her total jackpot prize amounted to around $480,000 after taxes, and according to her, it wasn't exactly a "fortune", but big enough to make a huge difference in her and her fiance's life.

"Most people would be over the moon, but I panicked," she recalled.

"I didn't want our life to turn upside down because we had extra money now."

Mike was Rachel's fiance at the time, and according to her, he had a tendency to spend money on things they didn't need. "I didn't want our money to blow quickly on stupid stuff like cars and clothes," she continued.

To protect her money from unnecessary spending, and since she was still "legally" single at the time, she decided to stay tight-lipped about her winnings.

"I was able to accept it anonymously without the need to tell anyone else. So I didn't," she said. "Not a single soul. Not my husband, my parents, siblings, best friends, etc. Only the state and federal governments."

Rachel also decided that it would be best to invest the money somewhere else so that it could grow throughout the years. So she opened a new bank account with a national credit union and deposited the cheque.

She also consulted with a financial advisor named Keith to guide her into investing in local businesses and real estate. "And that's that," she said. "It's been sitting there ever since, just growing."

E0TLXBkiKBSxJ5mCsKDMBFqMTrrzo_0f36SPB8iMzTuZFlR2sLyhLdovUXnr_Qo77sN2xi7-3utv5XRuGy9ozgZq2JzusR8rha14OOPR1dR6t_My-8w0CXigvIFLYBmdvsXWaIKs

Rachel was able to accept the prize money anonymously without the need to tell anyone else. Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto.
Fast forward to today, Rachel and Mike have already been married for 7 years now. However, he still doesn't know that his wife won the lottery years ago and managed to bag hundreds of thousands of dollars, which has now grown tremendously because of her investments.

One late afternoon, Rachel was doing the dishes and getting ready to start making dinner when her phone started ringing. "I can't get to it but I figure I'll just call them back," she thought.

Then she heard a text message come in. At the time, Mike recently went into the kitchen so he glanced at her phone to let her know who texted and called her.

Apparently, it was her financial advisor, Keith, informing her that her account just hit $1 million after one of the companies she invested in recently soared in value.

Needless to say, Mike was left stunned and speechless after the surprising revelation.

93ldOqWcR8nCltH2wzuG5sF7UN5uGcwSsAV_OCIo-s0Pq-IeRtOfyO2vZkM87T0OPbkaxB0GFZcL3ByHAdp3H2kvX2YjdokucTzPxI9Q8O2zGhWcZzDzrRNjMVz24bSHbSOrNCpK

Her husband, Mike, eventually found out about her seven-year secret. Credit: Getty Images.

After finding out about the secret his wife had been hiding from him for several years, Mike took some time away from Rachel to come to terms with what he was feeling.

"It took him a few hours to finally be able to really talk to me…" said Rachel. "At the end of the silence he told me he’s proud of me for investing in our future but he needs a few days to clear his head because he feels like I hid a huge part of 'myself' from him."

Thankfully, Mike eventually cleared his mind and accepted the seven-year secret his wife hid from him.

"He agreed he would have spent the money on dumb things if he'd won it and is happy that I put it away," she said. "Little less happy that I didn’t tell him about it for so long, but he said he doesn’t care and doesn’t want this getting in the way of our marriage."

Now, the couple is said to be living comfortably with their million-dollar ‘emergency fund’. Rachel's on a $60,000-a-year salary while Mike earns $85,000 yearly, so there was never any need for them to carelessly spend the lottery winnings.

"We set some ground rules for the [investment] money moving forward," said Rachel, adding that they both agreed never to tell anyone of their savings and they will only use it in emergencies and pre-discussed things.

What are your thoughts, folks?

Would you have done the same as Rachel? Or would you take the chance and tell your spouse or family members about your lottery winnings?

Sponsored
"I didn't want our life to turn upside down": Woman hides her lottery winnings from her husband… for a GOOD reason

In a story that was posted on the popular forum site Reddit, one woman shared that she once won the lottery, amounting to almost half a million dollars.

However, she also admitted that she hid her winnings from her fiance (now husband) for several years… and she claimed that it was all for a good reason.

It was in August 2014 when the woman, whom we’ll call Rachel (not her real name) for this story, learned that she had won the lottery.

Her total jackpot prize amounted to around $480,000 after taxes, and according to her, it wasn't exactly a "fortune", but big enough to make a huge difference in her and her fiance's life.

Mike was Rachel's fiance at the time, and according to her, he had a tendency to spend money on things they didn't need. "I didn't want our money to blow quickly on stupid stuff like cars and clothes," she continued.

To protect her money from unnecessary spending, and since she was still "legally" single at the time, she decided to stay tight-lipped about her winnings.

"I was able to accept it anonymously without the need to tell anyone else. So I didn't," she said. "Not a single soul. Not my husband, my parents, siblings, best friends, etc. Only the state and federal governments."

Rachel also decided that it would be best to invest the money somewhere else so that it could grow throughout the years. So she opened a new bank account with a national credit union and deposited the cheque.

She also consulted with a financial advisor named Keith to guide her into investing in local businesses and real estate. "And that's that," she said. "It's been sitting there ever since, just growing."

E0TLXBkiKBSxJ5mCsKDMBFqMTrrzo_0f36SPB8iMzTuZFlR2sLyhLdovUXnr_Qo77sN2xi7-3utv5XRuGy9ozgZq2JzusR8rha14OOPR1dR6t_My-8w0CXigvIFLYBmdvsXWaIKs

Rachel was able to accept the prize money anonymously without the need to tell anyone else. Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto.
Fast forward to today, Rachel and Mike have already been married for 7 years now. However, he still doesn't know that his wife won the lottery years ago and managed to bag hundreds of thousands of dollars, which has now grown tremendously because of her investments.

One late afternoon, Rachel was doing the dishes and getting ready to start making dinner when her phone started ringing. "I can't get to it but I figure I'll just call them back," she thought.

Then she heard a text message come in. At the time, Mike recently went into the kitchen so he glanced at her phone to let her know who texted and called her.

Apparently, it was her financial advisor, Keith, informing her that her account just hit $1 million after one of the companies she invested in recently soared in value.

Needless to say, Mike was left stunned and speechless after the surprising revelation.

93ldOqWcR8nCltH2wzuG5sF7UN5uGcwSsAV_OCIo-s0Pq-IeRtOfyO2vZkM87T0OPbkaxB0GFZcL3ByHAdp3H2kvX2YjdokucTzPxI9Q8O2zGhWcZzDzrRNjMVz24bSHbSOrNCpK

Her husband, Mike, eventually found out about her seven-year secret. Credit: Getty Images.

After finding out about the secret his wife had been hiding from him for several years, Mike took some time away from Rachel to come to terms with what he was feeling.

"It took him a few hours to finally be able to really talk to me…" said Rachel. "At the end of the silence he told me he’s proud of me for investing in our future but he needs a few days to clear his head because he feels like I hid a huge part of 'myself' from him."

Thankfully, Mike eventually cleared his mind and accepted the seven-year secret his wife hid from him.

"He agreed he would have spent the money on dumb things if he'd won it and is happy that I put it away," she said. "Little less happy that I didn’t tell him about it for so long, but he said he doesn’t care and doesn’t want this getting in the way of our marriage."

Now, the couple is said to be living comfortably with their million-dollar ‘emergency fund’. Rachel's on a $60,000-a-year salary while Mike earns $85,000 yearly, so there was never any need for them to carelessly spend the lottery winnings.

"We set some ground rules for the [investment] money moving forward," said Rachel, adding that they both agreed never to tell anyone of their savings and they will only use it in emergencies and pre-discussed things.

Would you have done the same as Rachel? Or would you take the chance and tell your spouse or family members about your lottery winnings?
👏🏻Well done Rachel, I would have done exactly the same thing providing my close family were not in need. And, all is well that ends well.

I would have done the same thing. She was single and it was her personal business and we have both said if we did win lotto we would say nothing to anyone. To this day my husband does not know the balance of my bank account/investments. We have a joint account into which both our super pensions go and that is what we live on and any major purchases/and bills for the home come out of that as well.. We each have separate shares and bank accounts. If I want to buy myself something or he does we do just buy it and this gives both of us a sense of freedom without any feeling of guilt by either party. Never do we have arguments about money I might add we are not on any government pensions and are fully self funded retirees.

Would you have done the same as Rachel? Or would you take the chance and tell your spouse or family members about your

With age comes maturity and as it is today life is even more comfortable and secure for Rachel and hubby. Enjoy your winnings.

Personally I would have shared it with my family as soon as it came into my hands, not just my husband, but ours is a different situation. Each situation is individual and if I had a useless other half I would be very weary of giving him control over even part of such a wonderful windfall.

Reactions: joshram and Ricci

We, in Australia don’t pay taxes on winnings, so this story is from over seas somewhere, and I cant believe that her financial advisor would leave a voice message about something so private, he should be spoken to. Aside from that, she was single, she didn't need to tell him, she invested the money for her, for them and their future.

Very sensible, people will do many things for money, better to build a relationship with each other rather than money. Always fairweather friends.

Reactions: Nardia and Ricci

Would you have done the same as Rachel? Or would you take the chance and tell your spouse or family members about yes is

We, in Australia don’t pay taxes on winnings, so this story is from over seas somewhere, and I cant believe that her financial advisor would leave a voice message about something so private, he should be spoken to. Aside from that, she was single, she didn't need to tell him, she invested the money for her, for them and their future.

Reactions: Ricci
My husband and I have only ever had one set of bank accounts, savings and ready use, with each of us putting in and taking out as necessary. As we are a partnership, equally responsible for incomings and outgoings it made sense for us and works extremely well. I don't know that I would have kept the secret for 5 minutes let alone 7 years!!:):rolleyes:

Reactions: joshram and Nardia
So what, we have lotteries here, OK ours are tax free. It is the principal of what she did with the money and the question, what would you do.
Exactly! We are a global community. Just consider the message in the story & respond. So simple.

I wld hv blasted the ignorant fool for making ANY DISCLOSURE of funds in a stupid text message! Utterly unprofessional, and unforgivable behaviour.
It is her money to do with as she wished. But if divorce occurred, her idiot advisor should hv already ensured correct paperwork was in place so it did not become part of the property settlement.
Marriage does not mean you must know absolutely everything.
If destitute, or a child needed surgery, it wld be wrong not to admit to some investment savings.

• Wow

Definitely would tell my husband because I'm the Minister of Finance in our household so don't have to worry about him overspending! 🤣

• Haha
My husband and I have only ever had one set of bank accounts, savings and ready use, with each of us putting in and taking out as necessary. As we are a partnership, equally responsible for incomings and outgoings it made sense for us and works extremely well. I don't know that I would have kept the secret for 5 minutes let alone 7 years!!:):rolleyes:
I couldn't keep a secret like that for 5 minutes either! My husband and I also share our money but then neither of us is extravagant or buy things we can't afford. However, she understood what her husband was like and took steps to protect herself and him in the long-term.. She did the right thing.

Reactions: carosb13 and Ricci

Good decision. I would’ve told my husband but still controlled the money.

Reactions: rehandra and Ricci
Good decision. I would’ve told my husband but still controlled the money.
As she said she was still legally single and it was her money to do with as she chose. When my husband and self got together (second marriages for both) we both kept whatever monies we had and he has never asked what I have and I have never asked him. We live off our joint super pensions which is sufficent for us and we each have our own monies to spend as we wish.. If he was to win lotto...which he plays regularly...and I do not...he can keep the lot. I do not need it at this stage of my life anyway as our needs are far less than they used to be and we are comfortable. If you have a husband or wife who is a total spendthrift rules would need to be put in place I think if you won a great deal of money. Need to sit with a financial counsellor and take good advice.