Hundreds were shocked by the story behind this woman’s garbage bin

We're all sometimes guilty of letting expired produce pile up in the fridge until we finally wheel out the garbage bins to the kerb.

But one Adelaide woman left hundreds ‘in shock’ after her kerbside bin appeared on the side of the street for the first time in almost 18 months.

Trudy Conroy’s red-lidded bin has not seen the side of the street in over a year and a half – and it’s not because she was too lazy to throw anything away. Instead, Trudy dedicated herself to finding ways to avoid using her garbage bin altogether.

The Adelaide resident claimed she committed herself to recycling, composting, buying in bulk, donating, and finding places that accept used goods, and considered using her bin only as a ‘last resort’.

‘Before throwing something out, I always think “what can I do with this before it goes into the red bin?” The red bin is always my last resort,’ Trudy told reporters.

bin.jpg
Trudy is an eco-warrior. Credit: readymade/Pexels

To help her adapt to a ‘greener’ lifestyle, Trudy shared that she bought a composter that can take on organics such as food scraps and paper.

Next, she collected her used household items, such as toothbrushes and spray pumps, and handed them over to Ecolateral – a South Australian recycling company. The goods will then get sent to TerraCycle, another recycling company that will break down and process the mixed materials into other products.

The eco-warrior also utilised businesses that accept e-waste, such as Officeworks and Mitre 10 – both of which accept printer ink, batteries, and old CDs to be recycled.

As for her groceries, Trudy explained that she always has her reusable shopping bags with her whenever she visits the supermarket.

‘They’re really nice. You pull them out and you feel really good about yourself,’ she shared.

bin2.jpg
Single-use plastics are harmful to the environment. Credit: Polina Tankilevitch/Pexels

Aside from that, Trudy also found a supplier of kitty litter made from newspapers for her two furbabies. She revealed to reporters that she was ‘thinking about things more now’ in terms of her rubbish and how it can affect the environment.

‘So, instead of buying lots of bottles, I’ll buy in bulk, and with places like Ecolateral, you can just refill bottles you already have,’ she explained.

For nearly a year, she has also collected mixed material goods from her colleagues to recycle on their behalf as well!

The eco-champion is also urging other people to follow suit and said that it was important that the public reconsider the things they throw away.

Key Takeaways

• Adelaide woman Trudy Conroy has shocked Australians by avoiding using her bin for 78 weeks.
  • Trudy has achieved this by recycling, composting, buying in bulk, donating and finding places that will accept used goods.
  • Her efforts highlight the importance of considering alternatives to simply throwing something ‘away’.
What can you say about Trudy’s efforts? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section!

Sponsored
We're all sometimes guilty of letting expired produce pile up in the fridge until we finally wheel out the garbage bins to the kerb.

But one Adelaide woman left hundreds ‘in shock’ after her kerbside bin appeared on the side of the street for the first time in almost 18 months.

Trudy Conroy’s red-lidded bin has not seen the side of the street in over a year and a half – and it’s not because she was too lazy to throw anything away. Instead, Trudy dedicated herself to finding ways to avoid using her garbage bin altogether.

The Adelaide resident claimed she committed herself to recycling, composting, buying in bulk, donating, and finding places that accept used goods, and considered using her bin only as a ‘last resort’.

‘Before throwing something out, I always think “what can I do with this before it goes into the red bin?” The red bin is always my last resort,’ Trudy told reporters.

View attachment 10068

To help her adapt to a ‘greener’ lifestyle, Trudy shared that she bought a composter that can take on organics such as food scraps and paper.

Next, she collected her used household items, such as toothbrushes and spray pumps, and handed them over to Ecolateral – a South Australian recycling company. The goods will then get sent to TerraCycle, another recycling company that will break down and process the mixed materials into other products.

The eco-warrior also utilised businesses that accept e-waste, such as Officeworks and Mitre 10 – both of which accept printer ink, batteries, and old CDs to be recycled.

As for her groceries, Trudy explained that she always has her reusable shopping bags with her whenever she visits the supermarket.

‘They’re really nice. You pull them out and you feel really good about yourself,’ she shared.

View attachment 10069
Single-use plastics are harmful to the environment. Credit: Polina Tankilevitch/Pexels

Aside from that, Trudy also found a supplier of kitty litter made from newspapers for her two furbabies. She revealed to reporters that she was ‘thinking about things more now’ in terms of her rubbish and how it can affect the environment.

‘So, instead of buying lots of bottles, I’ll buy in bulk, and with places like Ecolateral, you can just refill bottles you already have,’ she explained.

For nearly a year, she has also collected mixed material goods from her colleagues to recycle on their behalf as well!

The eco-champion is also urging other people to follow suit and said that it was important that the public reconsider the things they throw away.

Key Takeaways

• Adelaide woman Trudy Conroy has shocked Australians by avoiding using her bin for 78 weeks.
  • Trudy has achieved this by recycling, composting, buying in bulk, donating and finding places that will accept used goods.
  • Her efforts highlight the importance of considering alternatives to simply throwing something ‘away’.
What can you say about Trudy’s efforts? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section!
Well aunt she just the wonder woman and if we all did that ,(who's got the time ) then how many people will be out of work and collecting welfare costing the taxpayers a lot more. money

It’s a rarity for my bin to have more than a couple of bags in it. We don’t have (to the best of my knowledge, tho I WILL investigate) anything like the lady’s recycling and refill but if we did, I’d be in on that. I recycle vegetable scraps via compost, doggy “products” via a separate compost bin which is used for the fruit trees, batteries can go to a couple of places and we have several recycler places where I can take my mineral water bottles. Other recyclables go in the recycle bin and I like to think I’ve done my best. Just hope my recycle companies do likewise and don’t take the “easy” option of landfill!

Living in a retirement village we don't have individual bins, we have skips littered about the place. It takes me two weeks minimum to fill my little indoor bin, in the garage I have a black sack for recyclable cans and bottles and take them to the recycling centre for my 10c/can refund. :)

View attachment 10068

View attachment 10069

Key Takeaways

what does she do with all the plastic that EVERYTHING come wrapped in

Reactions: Ricci
Well aunt she just the wonder woman and if we all did that ,(who's got the time ) then how many people will be out of work and collecting welfare costing the taxpayers a lot more. money
huh??? please explain