Hundreds of shoppers lose money as Coles’ IT glitch charged them twice

In the age of digital transactions, we've come to appreciate the ease with which we can manage our daily shopping.

However, this convenience can sometimes come at an unexpected cost, as some Coles shoppers recently discovered to their dismay.

An IT glitch in the supermarket's payment system led to a number of customers being charged twice for their online grocery orders, leaving them unexpectedly out of pocket.

The glitch, which affected hundreds of shoppers across Australia, occurred on Monday, 16 September, and involved customers being debited twice for delivery orders.

The impact was immediate and significant, with one South Australian shopper sharing that her $300 shop ended up costing $600, a mistake that left her unable to pay for her car insurance.

shutterstock_1504420667.jpg
Hundreds of shoppers were left out of pocket over Coles’ IT glitch. Credit: Shutterstock

The double charge was not immediately apparent to all affected customers, but once discovered, it prompted a flurry of calls to Coles' customer service.

The supermarket's representatives acknowledged the issue, stating that it affected 'hundreds' of shoppers and that it would take several days for the refunds to be processed.

Coles has since been working to 'urgently' refund the overcharged amounts.

‘We are aware of a payment issue that has resulted in some customers being charged twice for the online purchase they made yesterday,’ a spokesperson for the supermarket chain said.

‘Coles is proactively contacting any Coles Online customer impacted, and we are working urgently to reverse the additional charge.’

‘We understand the impact this issue may have and sincerely apologise to any of our customers affected.’

This comes after a Coles shopper was charged an additional $55 due to a timezone discrepancy in the supermarket’s weekly specials cut-off times.

The supermarket offered a ‘goodwill voucher’, but the shopper chose to cancel her order and receive a full refund instead. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Hundreds of Australian shoppers were charged twice for their Coles online orders due to an IT glitch.
  • A customer in South Australia highlighted being unable to afford her car insurance after being overcharged $300.
  • Coles acknowledged the issue, stating it affected 'hundreds' of shoppers and is urgently working to refund the affected customers.
  • The supermarket has apologised and is proactively contacting customers who have been impacted by the payment error.
Have you ever been double-charged for a purchase? How was the issue resolved? Share your stories in the comments below!

Sponsored
These things happen it's called technology! As for the lady who couldn't pay her insurance she should have called the company and got a cover note and explained the situation.

Use cash to stop the banks taking your money.
Many years ago I was shopping at Franklin's (now defunct) in SA when I thought that my shopping appeared expensive. On checking my docket I discovered that all items that were on special had been charged twice, once at the special price and also at the original price, a discrepancy of around $100.
I was given apology and a refund. OK, mistakes happen.
BUT, a fortnight later the same thing happened again.
I never went back again and often wondered how many people must have been ripped off during that period and never realised.
It pays to have your wits about you when shopping

I was charged twice for my recent online shop but received an SMS from Coles advising of it and that it would take a couple of days to credit back and they gave me a $20 online credit. $20 is better thsn nothing.

Reactions: marni and magpie1
what a dumb twit. 300 to 600 and paid it without a query.

The article states:
"The double charge was not immediately apparent to all affected customers..."

It's very likely that $300 was the stated price when she placed the order, and the Coles computer doubled the payment when the store staff processed the order.

So she didn't know anything about it until after the money was taken from her account.

That's the way it normally works.

Reactions: magpie1
Yes and usually there is no problem. But it can we very frustrating when you have to go back to the shop to be reimbursed. Mistakes happen - that’s part of our daily lives

Makes sense to do this but I’m sure many don’t do this. Incidentally it’s always good for the store rather than the customer!!