Hundreds of sharks make unexpected appearance at famous Aussie beach

Australia is home to a fascinating array of majestic creatures, and many enjoy closer encounters with such creatures. The sea, of course, is one such place—with its depths filled with life.

However, not all are as friendly as one would hope.

So, it’s understandable that a group of whale watchers found cause for alarm when they spotted a rather impressive school of sharks in the waters beneath them.

The beach where the sharks were spotted is known for its crystalline waters and powdery white sand—Orchid Beach is located on the southern end of K’gari (Fraser Island). It is one of Australia’s top tourist destinations.

Recent drone footage captured by resident Darcy Yarnold shows hundreds of sharks swarming just offshore.

SDC 25.png
Hundreds of sharks were spotted at Orchid Beach. Image source: vecstock on Freepik.

'We were whale watching from the shore for about an hour when a big group of birds started to dive into the water, so I launched my drone and instantly saw so many fish, sharks and turtles,' the whale watcher said.

'There were, I think, about 200 sharks in the area chasing a huge ball of fish.'

He described them as 'very close', about 250-300 metres from the shore.

According to Daryl McPhee, Associate Professor of Environmental Science at Bond University, the appearance was a timely reminder for beachgoers to stay out of the water on K’gari and described the island as a 'naturally healthy ecosystem with lots of marine life and sharks'.

SDC 26.png
K’gari’s Orchid Beach is said to be a naturally healthy ecosystem with many inhabitants. Image source: Darcy Yarnold.

'We know at this time of year, K'gari is renowned for sharks, and there are sharks on K'gari in big numbers all year round so the video is not surprising,' explained McPhee.

'This is the time of year large schools of tailor are still present on the island, and they provide excellent food for big shivers of sharks. The sharks are adept at finding their prey, and once they find it they'll keep using that prey until it disperses.'

Based on the footage, McPhee believed the sharks are of the whaler shark species, which are not considered as risky as great whites or tiger sharks.

'Those particular sharks aren't one of the big three responsible for most bites, which are tiger sharks, white sharks and bull sharks, but it's still ill-advised to go swimming with those sharks or swimming on the beach of K'gari in general,' McPhee explained.

'The only reason there are not many bites at K’gari is because people don’t normally swim there.'

'If we had the same number (of people) as we have in the Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast swimming each weekend and each day, we'd have a lot more bites there.'
Key Takeaways
  • Whale watchers spotted hundreds of sharks off Orchid Beach at K'gari.
  • Footage captured showed a massive school of sharks, possibly a species of whaler shark, swimming close to the shore.
  • Environmental Science Associate Professor, Daryl McPhee, warned people to stay out of the water, citing K'gari as a naturally healthy ecosystem with lots of marine life, including sharks.
  • The professor also pointed out that the low incidence of shark bites at K'gari is due to fewer people swimming there than other, more popular beach destinations.
Members, have you ever seen a shark while out swimming before? What was it like? Share your experience with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Keep your Politically-Correct K'gari (was there REALLY any need to keep repeating it, right through the article?). I will continue to call it Fraser Island, in the same way that I utterly refuse to call Cairns 'Gimuy' (as in Gimuy more money, White Dog!).

Count your blessings, too, in that sharks don't come up to join you on the beach, like crocodiles do!
I’m sick of K’gari too ,it will always be Fraser Island ,we weren’t asked about change of name time politicians stopped all this B/S and left our icons alone.

I’m sick of K’gari too ,it will always be Fraser Island ,we weren’t asked about change of name time politicians stopped all this B/S and left our icons alone.
This is so right. I lived in Bundaberg for almost 10 years, owned a four wheel drive and loved dingoes, having a few as pets. But I never went to Fraser Island and I'm still scratching my head at the reason why! :(

Have they come up with a new name for the western Sydney suburb Blacktown yet?

EDIT: There's a suburb in Blacktown LGA called Dharruk, derived from the Indigenous tribe, Darug. Well, they're almost there!

Last edited:
Consultation was open to public for 2 months
Just for accuracy - World Heritage List 1992

World Heritage is the designation for places on Earth that are of outstanding universal value to humanity and as such, have been inscribed on the World Heritage List

A lot included in "our" icon

Reactions: Veggiepatch
I love that we’re starting to use the original names of these places. If you’re ticked off about the name change after just 200 + years imagine how the indigenous people felt when we changed ALL the names of everything they had known for tens of thousands of years! I would like it if the Aboriginal meaning of these name places were also included in any signage.

I love that we’re starting to use the original names of these places. If you’re ticked off about the name change after just 200 + years imagine how the indigenous people felt when we changed ALL the names of everything they had known for tens of thousands of years! I would like it if the Aboriginal meaning of these name places were also included in any signage.
I like it - it has that je ne sais quoi! Small things can make a big difference to many and who does it hurt really?

In Dandenong, Victoria, we have Koltalta (Calcutta), Mumbai (Bombay) and so on.

Trouble is the resident Indians wouldn't know what K'gari or Fraser Island is.