Hundreds of Aussies feel cheated by cereal giant’s ‘rip-off’ release

Several disgruntled customers have spoken up about feeling ‘cheated’ and ‘ripped off’ by a popular Aussie staple, sharing an underwhelming image of Kellogg’s latest cereal.

It was a collaboration with Bega Peanut Butter but the Kellogg’s Nutri-Grain and Bega Peanut Butter Crunch cereal has failed to meet the expectations of hundreds.

One of the many disappointed customers, Nick Harris, detailed why the new release left much to be desired.

‘I just went down to the shops to buy some breakfast. It cost me $8.50 for a box of cereal that is not even half full… It’s outrageous.’

‘Do better please Kellogg’s.’ he urged.

dqwoGxQvImLPjVyS776JXzX6AwigkHzvflcrWqhu8OSLEAwM9kCyAFhY362Pt69bp_3rQtleu1bXxI0SEaNQ1i3k749c7IhdUCUNTq418fkIAvv2WCj717QdaQMAUcpxfu2uYpLTVGZhOmw0Soz3X6t6NfRPXx32PvJYbd_ky3DrrD4h2MnbhI-peQ
ckXRH7dyogUKyort74QGF0Bi_hL_kY_6LCV-c6TReiIJgILPg-4AYIFZO7PCO412zS8pgwghP9njgYNiDhonmECQHt-AWoo8MqEs1VxwSIjFV5tbZ2IpKSfVk_bhBELlDSgaI_e9x7tndV3d24htJzpc7eqZdHLCTAsGxT885uIbVQ5QxPshPJkJOA

Several customers were disappointed by the cereal. Source: news.com.au

Mr Harris said his ‘blood boiled’ when he pulled out his morning snack from the box and got a better view of the contents.

‘When I opened the box, I didn’t notice any cereal at first glance, I thought there was an error where I had been given a bag with no cereal in it, all I could see was air, until I pulled it up and eventually, the cereal appeared.’ he described his experience.

‘I am disappointed because I love cereal and peanut butter. I actually had never had Nutri-Grain before so I was really excited to try it and had high hopes. It’s safe to say I won’t be having it again.’

Another unsatisfied Kellogg's customer, Dennis, also took to Facebook to vent his frustrations with the cereal.

‘Gee what a buy – Limited Edition Nutri-Grain. You’re limited to a third of the box, great stuff Kellogg’s!’ he wrote sarcastically.

Source: Dennis (Facebook)

One user responded to his post, saying: ‘I bought some from Coles. I wasn’t impressed, this costs 6 bucks for bugger all in a cardboard box.’

‘It’s the limited edition Weight Watchers box,’ ‘What a joke,’ and ‘Bonus air’ several more chimed in.

Not only are customers furious with the amount of the product and its affordability but the cereal’s taste was also a letdown for many.

‘The ad for the cereal boasts a “next level taste” but there is no taste.’ Mr Harris lamented.

‘There is no peanut butter flavour at all.’

Source: @ElevenOHNOES

Aussie customers are demanding Kellogg's to either reduce the box size or include more cereal inside.

‘The size of the box is to confuse your brain into thinking there is much more in it for the price.’ one user pointed out.

‘I just want them to take some responsibility and accountability for it and stop misleading customers.’ Mr Harris added.

A spokesperson for the cereal giant said that the brand’s range of cereals was ‘sold by weight, not volume’.

‘Each box of cereal is weighed multiple times throughout the production process to ensure it’s the correct weight, as indicated on the pack.’ the spokesperson clarified.

‘It’s important to note that the air in each bag has a vital role in maintaining the freshness and quality of the cereal and protecting it from breakage.’

Kellogg’s said that customers are encouraged to contact the brand directly if there is a sealed pack that is underweight.

What are your thoughts about this story? Should Kellogg’s change its packaging entirely or add more of the product? Have you tried the cereal in question? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
They always use that excuse.
Why use such a large box, if not to make the consumer think they are getting more.
I buy trays of 600g pet meat, which I then pack into separate 100g bags, I never end up with exactly 6 bags.
And "no"there is nothing wrong with my new digital scales, which was suggested by the supplier.

If people are so worried about the volume/weight ratio of their grocery buys, why don't they take the time to wander over to the fruit and vegetable section where old-fashioned things called scales are available -- for free, I think -- where they can throw the goods thereon and satisfy themselves that, yes, really truly, a box marked (say) 500 grams actually contains 500 grams. Like the well-known Strayan meerkat says, "Simples!" It's what's in the box that counts, surely, not the size of the box?

All breakfast cereals other than porridge oats are a waste of money as you are paying for air. As with margarine it is only in English speaking countries that breakfast cereals took off. I am glad to say sales of both are on the decline.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tervueren and Ricci
Several disgruntled customers have spoken up about feeling ‘cheated’ and ‘ripped off’ by a popular Aussie staple, sharing an underwhelming image of Kellogg’s latest cereal.

It was a collaboration with Bega Peanut Butter but the Kellogg’s Nutri-Grain and Bega Peanut Butter Crunch cereal has failed to meet the expectations of hundreds.

One of the many disappointed customers, Nick Harris, detailed why the new release left much to be desired.

‘I just went down to the shops to buy some breakfast. It cost me $8.50 for a box of cereal that is not even half full… It’s outrageous.’

dqwoGxQvImLPjVyS776JXzX6AwigkHzvflcrWqhu8OSLEAwM9kCyAFhY362Pt69bp_3rQtleu1bXxI0SEaNQ1i3k749c7IhdUCUNTq418fkIAvv2WCj717QdaQMAUcpxfu2uYpLTVGZhOmw0Soz3X6t6NfRPXx32PvJYbd_ky3DrrD4h2MnbhI-peQ
ckXRH7dyogUKyort74QGF0Bi_hL_kY_6LCV-c6TReiIJgILPg-4AYIFZO7PCO412zS8pgwghP9njgYNiDhonmECQHt-AWoo8MqEs1VxwSIjFV5tbZ2IpKSfVk_bhBELlDSgaI_e9x7tndV3d24htJzpc7eqZdHLCTAsGxT885uIbVQ5QxPshPJkJOA

Mr Harris said his ‘blood boiled’ when he pulled out his morning snack from the box and got a better view of the contents.

‘When I opened the box, I didn’t notice any cereal at first glance, I thought there was an error where I had been given a bag with no cereal in it, all I could see was air, until I pulled it up and eventually, the cereal appeared.’ he described his experience.

‘I am disappointed because I love cereal and peanut butter. I actually had never had Nutri-Grain before so I was really excited to try it and had high hopes. It’s safe to say I won’t be having it again.’

Another unsatisfied Kellogg's customer, Dennis, also took to Facebook to vent his frustrations with the cereal.

‘Gee what a buy – Limited Edition Nutri-Grain. You’re limited to a third of the box, great stuff Kellogg’s!’ he wrote sarcastically.

One user responded to his post, saying: ‘I bought some from Coles. I wasn’t impressed, this costs 6 bucks for bugger all in a cardboard box.’

‘It’s the limited edition Weight Watchers box,’ ‘What a joke,’ and ‘Bonus air’ several more chimed in.

Not only are customers furious with the amount of the product and its affordability but the cereal’s taste was also a letdown for many.

‘The ad for the cereal boasts a “next level taste” but there is no taste.’ Mr Harris lamented.

Aussie customers are demanding Kellogg's to either reduce the box size or include more cereal inside.

‘The size of the box is to confuse your brain into thinking there is much more in it for the price.’ one user pointed out.

‘I just want them to take some responsibility and accountability for it and stop misleading customers.’ Mr Harris added.

A spokesperson for the cereal giant said that the brand’s range of cereals was ‘sold by weight, not volume’.

‘Each box of cereal is weighed multiple times throughout the production process to ensure it’s the correct weight, as indicated on the pack.’ the spokesperson clarified.

‘It’s important to note that the air in each bag has a vital role in maintaining the freshness and quality of the cereal and protecting it from breakage.’

Kellogg’s said that customers are encouraged to contact the brand directly if there is a sealed pack that is underweight.

What are your thoughts about this story? Should Kellogg’s change its packaging entirely or add more of the product? Have you tried the cereal in question? Let us know in the comments below!

Why the hell would anyone want to have a bowl of sugar for breakfast.

Quote: "It’s important to note that the air in each bag has a vital role in maintaining the freshness and quality of the cereal and protecting it from breakage." Unquote.

Horsesh**! Quality and freshness are maintained by EXCLUDING air. If the manufacturer really doesn't want to vacuum-seal, at least seal the goods in with food-grade Nitrogen, so the goods don't oxidise. AND USE A SMALLER BOX!

Reactions: Tervueren

I've noticed that Kellogg's has dropped the weight of Nutra grain from 805 gms to 765 gms. I bet the price will have stayed the same or even gone UP. Kellogg's, stop trying to deceive us, shoppers, with your games of smoke and mirrors!

Reactions: Tervueren