Hundreds are slamming this mum's birthday gift for her seven-year-old son — can you spot what the fuss is all about?

It's always nice to shower your loved ones with gifts, but sometimes it goes too far. Gift giving can be a very thoughtful gesture, but it can also be a way to show off.

And sometimes, these gifts can be inappropriate for the person who's receiving…

Such has been the case for one woman who has come under fire after sharing her numerous gifts to her son for his 7th birthday on social media.

Brisbane mum Bonnie planned to surprise her son with a box full of Nintendo Switch games, a 12-month membership, three Fortnite "V-bucks," and a $50 gift card to EB Games (all of which would have cost about $250) for his big day.

'Slowly putting together a shadow box for my son's 7th birthday, next month. I am going to put a couple of notes and some lollies,' she wrote in the Kmart Home Decor & Hacks Australia Facebook group.

iW6QRbPl0TXyljamnLPAcdRRiK6sE1b9qQMLnk8mXuW3kdRvPVmJ85Esl1xSwt0L1h46UnknNIJ4QZgMKklGqDQLYUmLPHb_4AeGjvHrtSae_LD9oz935whXF8PaagRmJEiKFvi62q-al-3pJA9lsw

A photo of Bonnie’s gifts to her son for his 7th birthday. Credit: Facebook/Kmart Home Decor & Hacks Australia.

However, the post sparked a barrage of 'nasty' comments from group members, who Bonnie claimed were attacking her, suggesting that the mum was showering her young boy with 'too much technology'.

One comment read: 'Plenty of journal articles showing that excessive exposure to tech at an early age damages the brain structure of children.'

Several users also criticised her for showering her son with 'age-inappropriate' gifts.

One person said: 'Too many games for a 7-year-old and not many are age appropriate for a 7-year-old. Aussie mums seem to have a lot of time on their hands.'

'Nice idea but the games, apart from Kirby, aren't really that suitable for a 7-year-old,' another argued.

The negative comments prompted Bonnie to edit the post's caption and explain her decision in more detail.

Bonnie said that she had fun planning her gifts for her son's special day, writing: 'For all the people saying he has too much tech for a seven-year-old, he already has all the outside stuff.'

'Nana and pop will get him some Lego. He also loves drawing and has a nice little drawing pack from his baby brother.'

She explained that her son is not fond of playing with toys as he is 'at that hard age where he only plays with them [toys] for five minutes and never plays with them again'.

The mum also mentioned how the number '7' in the packet of digits appears to be a '1' in the photo in an attempt to stop the 'trolls' from criticising her for it.

Bonnie added that she doesn't want 'too much big stuff' laying about because the family is getting ready to move and downsize.

Other parents sent words of encouragement and commended the 'brilliant' gift idea despite the criticism.

One mum wrote: 'My son would love that present. Sad though you are having to come on and justify yourself and choice of present to other mums.'

'You're doing a great job mum, don't explain yourself,' another said.

A third chimed in: 'This is amazing and just gave me an idea for my son's 15th.'

We believe that while it's important to show your love with presents, it's also important to make sure that the gifts you give them are appropriate to their needs. We don’t have much knowledge about the video games being gifted by the mum to her son but we highly recommend any members buying video games for their grandkids to double-check the age-rating. These are stickers you can find on the packaging of the games, which include classifications such as the following:

• G - General - Very mild in impact. Suitable for everyone
  • PG - Parental Guidance - Mild in impact. Children may find content confusing or upsetting.
  • M - Mature - Moderate impact. Not recommended for children under 15.
  • MA 15 - Mature Accompanied - Strong in impact. Legally restricted to people over 15.
  • R 18 - Restricted - High in impact. Legally restricted to people over 18.

When reviewing the games purchased for the son’s 7th birthday, we can see Zelda is rated M, however, Assassin’s Creed is MA15+ due to the violent and graphic content.

We hope this guide can help you choose appropriate video games to give to your grandkids.

Also, we want to hear from you! Do you think the mum's gift was appropriate? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
My grandsons aged 8 and 10 play most of these games at their home and I believe that it has taught them how to be extremely violent towards each other and their older brother. Video games, you tube etc are all banned when they are at my house on the school holidays, but I have taught them how to play marbles, knuckles, make paper planes, to do origami and we play a lot of board & card games as well as go to parks where they can skateboard and ride their bikes. They also love being read to. The simple pleasures in life are what children are missing out on today.

I often wonder where these moaning whinging pains in the rrse come from,
it’s none of anyones business what presents a mother gives a 7 yr old so especially if they are technically based .
On the other hand genuine fire arms pot smoking drug gear etc are wort commenting on .
Oh Yes

Reactions: Ricci
My 9 year old grandson is an actor and has been for a few years. He's currently working on the new Mad Max Furiosa set in Sydney where I take him as his 'parent/carer' (his parents both work and I'm a retired actor myself). The movie trilogy contains a lot of violence and obviously sometimes there can be 10 to 20 takes to get the action right. My grandson takes it with a grain of salt no matter how many times it takes. When cut is called he just sits down with his iPad and plays his games until wanted on set again. He loves lunch when after eating he goes out with Chris Hemsworth and the other actors for a quick game of touch footy.

It's always nice to shower your loved ones with gifts, but sometimes it goes too far. Gift giving can be a very thoughtful gesture, but it can also be a way to show off.

Such has been the case for one woman who has come under fire after sharing her numerous gifts to her son for his 7th birthday on social media.

Brisbane mum Bonnie planned to surprise her son with a box full of Nintendo Switch games, a 12-month membership, three Fortnite "V-bucks," and a $50 gift card to EB Games (all of which would have cost about $250) for his big day.

'Slowly putting together a shadow box for my son's 7th birthday, next month. I am going to put a couple of notes and some lollies,' she wrote in the Kmart Home Decor & Hacks Australia Facebook group.

iW6QRbPl0TXyljamnLPAcdRRiK6sE1b9qQMLnk8mXuW3kdRvPVmJ85Esl1xSwt0L1h46UnknNIJ4QZgMKklGqDQLYUmLPHb_4AeGjvHrtSae_LD9oz935whXF8PaagRmJEiKFvi62q-al-3pJA9lsw

A photo of Bonnie’s gifts to her son for his 7th birthday. Credit: Facebook/Kmart Home Decor & Hacks Australia.

However, the post sparked a barrage of 'nasty' comments from group members, who Bonnie claimed were attacking her, suggesting that the mum was showering her young boy with 'too much technology'.

One comment read: 'Plenty of journal articles showing that excessive exposure to tech at an early age damages the brain structure of children.'

Several users also criticised her for showering her son with 'age-inappropriate' gifts.

One person said: 'Too many games for a 7-year-old and not many are age appropriate for a 7-year-old. Aussie mums seem to have a lot of time on their hands.'

'Nice idea but the games, apart from Kirby, aren't really that suitable for a 7-year-old,' another argued.

The negative comments prompted Bonnie to edit the post's caption and explain her decision in more detail.

Bonnie said that she had fun planning her gifts for her son's special day, writing: 'For all the people saying he has too much tech for a seven-year-old, he already has all the outside stuff.'

'Nana and pop will get him some Lego. He also loves drawing and has a nice little drawing pack from his baby brother.'

She explained that her son is not fond of playing with toys as he is 'at that hard age where he only plays with them [toys] for five minutes and never plays with them again'.

The mum also mentioned how the number '7' in the packet of digits appears to be a '1' in the photo in an attempt to stop the 'trolls' from criticising her for it.

Bonnie added that she doesn't want 'too much big stuff' laying about because the family is getting ready to move and downsize.

Other parents sent words of encouragement and commended the 'brilliant' gift idea despite the criticism.

One mum wrote: 'My son would love that present. Sad though you are having to come on and justify yourself and choice of present to other mums.'

A third chimed in: 'This is amazing and just gave me an idea for my son's 15th.'

We believe that while it's important to show your love with presents, it's also important to make sure that the gifts you give them are appropriate to their needs. We don’t have much knowledge about the video games being gifted by the mum to her son but we highly recommend any members buying video games for their grandkids to double-check the age-rating. These are stickers you can find on the packaging of the games, which include classifications such as the following:

• PG - Parental Guidance - Mild in impact. Children may find content confusing or upsetting.
  • MA 15 - Mature Accompanied - Strong in impact. Legally restricted to people over 15.

When reviewing the games purchased for the son’s 7th birthday, we can see Zelda is rated M, however, Assassin’s Creed is MA15+ due to the violent and graphic content.

We hope this guide can help you choose appropriate video games to give to your grandkids.

Also, we want to hear from you! Do you think the mum's gift was appropriate? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
Anything in moderation and age appropriate is usually a good idea. But in this case, yearly subs and games for older children is very inappropriate. At 7 and especially younger, other activities should be a priority and video games should be a novelty add-on only.

My eight year old grandson makes paper planes that can fly, which is more than I ever could. I think it's an Italian design that his mother taught him, as all the folds have the same starting point, which I've never seen before.
He also draws, paints, plays video games, and rides his bike and scooter with his brother and sister.
I have a bag of marbles for them, if only I could find it. .
And that's what boys should be doing .

My 9 year old grandson is an actor and has been for a few years. He's currently working on the new Mad Max Furiosa set in Sydney where I take him as his 'parent/carer' (his parents both work and I'm a retired actor myself). The movie trilogy contains a lot of violence and obviously sometimes there can be 10 to 20 takes to get the action right. My grandson takes it with a grain of salt no matter how many times it takes. When cut is called he just sits down with his iPad and plays his games until wanted on set again. He loves lunch when after eating he goes out with Chris Hemsworth and the other actors for a quick game of touch footy.
Actors are normal people too . My sons close friend was the lead actor in paper planes and a relative has been on home and away for years. Actors know what they do is acting

That’s what is wrong with Social Media today, when a mother has to explain to these trolls why she bought this gift for her 7 year old son, and what other family members are bringing.
I think next time Bonnie you should only tell your family what you have bought.
As for those critics. MYOB.
I was just going to say exactly that…….

Never ceases to amaze me, some people think what they believe is right, everybody should believe, each to their own.
Who the hell are the people criticizing her I'm sure they have ideas on things that other people might disagree with the facts are every body is different get a life and stop trying to tell others what they should and shouldn't do

Never ceases to amaze me, some people think what they believe is right, everybody should believe, each to their own.
Who the hell are the people criticizing her I'm sure they have ideas on things that other people might disagree with the facts are every body is different get a life and stop trying to tell others what they should and shouldn't do
Unfortunately, or on purpose, these forums raise lots of opinions. Remember, everyone has one, whether we agree with them or not. 🙂

Jeepers ! my daughter got her Switch when she was 17 yo and she paid for it herself by working at a supermarket weekends and school holidays ! It was over $500 ! and the games are cheapest ones $69 !
This Mum could have set up a saving account for her boy.
I bought a swing ball for my daughter when she was 7. I still have the photos and I baked a beautiful cake for her. She had 5 friends over for her birthday party, and they all played outside with the swing ball. Birthday food was fairy bread, home made sausage rolls, hotdogs, a few lollies and 2 bags of potato chips. Nothing went to waste.

I am sure the mother limits her sons screen time & if the games are beyond his capability he’ll get bored with them.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
My eight year old grandson makes paper planes that can fly, which is more than I ever could. I think it's an Italian design that his mother taught him, as all the folds have the same starting point, which I've never seen before.
He also draws, paints, plays video games, and rides his bike and scooter with his brother and sister.
I have a bag of marbles for them, if only I could find it. .
Sorry to hear you "lost your marbles"😉. No offense, Just couldnt let that pass....😀

• Haha

What is the child's level of understanding etc.? Is he a 7 year old going on 10 or is his understanding of a lower level? These facts weren't conveyed to us. I believe this arguement could go either way with all facts known.