Huge price hike! Coles and Woolworths food prices skyrocket by 10%, rising fast than inflation

As many already know all too well, it's vital to watch our spending in today's tight economy, particularly when it comes to groceries.

Therefore, when news broke that food prices at Australia's supermarket giants, Coles and Woolworths, surged by a shocking 9.6 per cent in April, it left many understandably worried about their wallets.

A recent report from investment bank UBS discovered that common grocery items such as Vegemite, peanut butter, and yoghurt had experienced particularly stark price hikes compared to the overall inflation rate of 7 per cent.

This analysis of more than 60,000 items in supermarkets also found that fresh food costs skyrocketed by 9.9 per cent, which significantly contributed to the overall increase in prices. However, UBS predicted that this would drop in the coming months as supply levels improve.

fresh1.jpg
A recent report revealed that common grocery items have experienced staggering price hikes. Credit: Wendy Wei/Pexels

These results sparked fear among many across the country, with some saying that there was ‘no relief in sight’ for Australians struggling with rising food costs and other cost-of-living expenses.

However, Coles disputes the accuracy of the UBS report. A spokesperson for the supermarket claimed that the report does not accurately reflect the full range of products sold by Coles or take into account changes in customer buying behaviours, which impacts their sales volumes and product mix.

‘This is integral to capturing an accurate reflection of overall supermarket inflation. UBS used the same price tracker for a report ahead of the third quarter 2023 results and reported Coles’ inflation at 9 per cent,’ the spokesperson explained.

‘Our official inflation figure was reported to be significantly lower at 6.2 per cent,’ they continued.

On the other hand, Woolworths acknowledged that their customers are feeling the pinch of rising food prices and assured customers that they are committed to helping them save on their shopping.

fresh2.jpg
Woolworths acknowledged how rising costs are affecting their customers. Credit: Matheus Cenali/Pexels

A spokesperson for the supermarket giant pointed out that Woolies offers weekly specials, seasonal price drops, low-cost own-brand products, and Everyday Rewards to help customers stretch their budgets.

‘In our last quarterly results, we saw that value-conscious customers are becoming more thoughtful about their discretionary spend, trading into more affordable options such as our own brands and looking for additional ways to save in-store or through our digital, rewards and e-commerce platforms,’ the spokesperson claimed.

The UBS analysis disclosed that Australians might be experiencing 'materially high food inflation,' with breakfast staples like dairy goods and spreads experiencing significant price hikes of 13 per cent in the past year.

Unfortunately, dry goods were up by 9.4 per cent. Some mealtime favourites have also seen marked price increases, such as Vegemite rising by 8 per cent, Bega peanut butter by 9 per cent, and certain yoghurts by 12 per cent.

Supply chain pressures and high labour costs may keep dry grocery inflation elevated into 2023, the report warned. However, the frequency of price rises may decrease as the situation stabilises.

In the meantime, many Australians are turning to supermarkets' private-label products to mitigate the rising cost of living pressures.

There is a silver lining, though: meat prices have been relatively stable, with chicken prices – which increased by 10 per cent in the past year – dropping by 1 per cent in the past few months. It was also revealed that pork was becoming 4 per cent cheaper.

This data might provide some relief to shoppers who rely on these proteins for their weekly meals.

UBS analyst Shaun Cousins also described the rising rate of food inflation as a ‘surprise’ and attributed the increase to supply chain and labour costs.

‘While monthly pricing data is volatile, especially fresh, given supply variability, it is valuable given the current period of materially high food inflation. The increasing rate of food inflation is a surprise and inconsistent with the declines reported by Coles and Woolworths in the third quarter,’ he said.

The report found Coles is now ahead of Woolworths, with its inflation up 10.5 per cent in April against 9.1 per cent in March. Meanwhile, Woolworths’ food inflation registered an 8.7 per cent growth in April and 9.7 per cent in March.

While the UBS report highlights several alarming statistics, it is crucial for us to stay informed about these market trends so we can make informed decisions about our shopping and budgets, especially in the face of such rising costs.
Key Takeaways
  • Food and grocery prices at Australia's two supermarket giants, Woolworths and Coles, have surged by 9.6 per cent in April.
  • Coles disputes the findings of the report by investment bank UBS, which analysed over 60,000 items at the supermarkets.
  • Fresh food, in particular, contributed to the huge increase in prices as costs skyrocketed by 9.9 per cent.
  • UBS analysts warn that Australia is facing 'materially high food inflation,' with breakfast staples, dairy goods, and spreads climbing by 13 per cent in the past year.
Do you have any other tips for keeping on top of rising food prices? Do you think Coles and Woolworths need to do more to make sure inflation isn’t passed onto customers like us? Share your advice in the comments below!

Reactions: Ezzy, RTS and Ricci
Sponsored
They do need to do more to stop inflation being passed onto customers. Do the farmers get the increases we are paying in the supermarkets, I bet not. Butter and yoghurt going up $2 a container is incredible. If the increases were say 50c per item that might be okay but by increasing the cost of items by $ amounts, is this not price gouging? I am no financial expert but know that my groceries are shrinking and I am buying the cheapest available from Woolies, Coles and Aldi. I have resorted to noodles, pasta and frozen vegetables to make my money go further. Cheese for me is a luxury now to make it my protein source. Where is it all going to end? I only buy homebrands and struggle to throw some tuna in now and then. I am sure I am not the only one feeling the pinch.

"Coles disputes the accuracy of the report" and "Woolies say blah, blah, blah". Of course they do, they're not going to admit they're price gouging, are they. As said earlier, you don't have to shop there, if you live in WA you can go to Aldi, Spudshed, Farmer Jacks etc. all cheaper options and I'm sure other States have similar options.
While you keep patronizing Coles and Woolies nothing will change and don't fool yourself and think prices will eventually come down, they won't.
Nothing will happen unless we, the shoppers, make it happen.

Freight costs would be the bulk of the rises I guess - coupled with ingredient availability and costs.
Freight for both would be a prime reason though.

Reactions: Ezzy
"‘This is integral to capturing an accurate reflection of overall supermarket inflation."

More effing blatherskite. How many people can afford to buy 1.5kg of blade or stewing steak as the base for a a nutritious , attractive and quick-to-cook meal for 4 as specified in my Reader's Digest cook-book of 1995? Even steak mince is just over 20kg a kilo. Yeah, the war in Ukraine and all that bullshit.

Steak at $40-$50 a kg is a minimum of $10 per head for the meal for 4 before one adds in the cost of vegies and power. How much does the farmer get for a cattle beast per kilo?

"Coles disputes the accuracy of the report" and "Woolies say blah, blah, blah". Of course they do, they're not going to admit they're price gouging, are they. As said earlier, you don't have to shop there, if you live in WA you can go to Aldi, Spudshed, Farmer Jacks etc. all cheaper options and I'm sure other States have similar options.
While you keep patronizing Coles and Woolies nothing will change and don't fool yourself and think prices will eventually come down, they won't.
Nothing will happen unless we, the shoppers, make it happen.
In the State where I live we have the wide range of choices between Woolworths and Coles or Coles and Woolworths. Wow!

It might be 9.6% over all lines but my Diet kirk soft drinks 10 can pack have gone up from $5 to $11.60 or 2 for $15. Coles is reaping it in.
I think you will find that Coca Cola Amatil now own Kirks and that will answer that question.

Reactions: Reaper123
Oh, my
In the State where I live we have the wide range of choices between Woolworths and Coles or Coles and Woolworths. Wow!
Oh, my God, really. I live 3hours. out of Perth so admit I have to travel just over one hour to the nearest reasonable sized shopping centre, but even there we have
Coles, Woolies, Aldi and an enormous brand new Spud Shed.
Where do you live???
And we keep being told that WA is backward by our eastern states relatives??

I believe the quoted prices and add that at my Coles and Woolies the specials are mostly for edible items that are not necessary but more items we don't really need. e.g crisps cholates and fancy drinks. If we all get back to basics and only buy what is essential for a good healthy diet then maybe the big companies would realise and make the necessities the specials

If you live near a farmer's market, Vic Market, Footscray Market, Sth Melbourne Market etc., if in Melbourne, and go there for your fruit, vegetables, dairy, meat, fish poultry etc you can save a fortune. If, like me, you don't drive buy a shopping trolley and load up. It is definitely worth the effort 😉

• Love
Reactions: debjoel21
As many already know all too well, it's vital to watch our spending in today's tight economy, particularly when it comes to groceries.

Therefore, when news broke that food prices at Australia's supermarket giants, Coles and Woolworths, surged by a shocking 9.6 per cent in April, it left many understandably worried about their wallets.

A recent report from investment bank UBS discovered that common grocery items such as Vegemite, peanut butter, and yoghurt had experienced particularly stark price hikes compared to the overall inflation rate of 7 per cent.

This analysis of more than 60,000 items in supermarkets also found that fresh food costs skyrocketed by 9.9 per cent, which significantly contributed to the overall increase in prices. However, UBS predicted that this would drop in the coming months as supply levels improve.

View attachment 20538
A recent report revealed that common grocery items have experienced staggering price hikes. Credit: Wendy Wei/Pexels

These results sparked fear among many across the country, with some saying that there was ‘no relief in sight’ for Australians struggling with rising food costs and other cost-of-living expenses.

However, Coles disputes the accuracy of the UBS report. A spokesperson for the supermarket claimed that the report does not accurately reflect the full range of products sold by Coles or take into account changes in customer buying behaviours, which impacts their sales volumes and product mix.

‘This is integral to capturing an accurate reflection of overall supermarket inflation. UBS used the same price tracker for a report ahead of the third quarter 2023 results and reported Coles’ inflation at 9 per cent,’ the spokesperson explained.

‘Our official inflation figure was reported to be significantly lower at 6.2 per cent,’ they continued.

On the other hand, Woolworths acknowledged that their customers are feeling the pinch of rising food prices and assured customers that they are committed to helping them save on their shopping.

View attachment 20539
Woolworths acknowledged how rising costs are affecting their customers. Credit: Matheus Cenali/Pexels

A spokesperson for the supermarket giant pointed out that Woolies offers weekly specials, seasonal price drops, low-cost own-brand products, and Everyday Rewards to help customers stretch their budgets.

‘In our last quarterly results, we saw that value-conscious customers are becoming more thoughtful about their discretionary spend, trading into more affordable options such as our own brands and looking for additional ways to save in-store or through our digital, rewards and e-commerce platforms,’ the spokesperson claimed.

The UBS analysis disclosed that Australians might be experiencing 'materially high food inflation,' with breakfast staples like dairy goods and spreads experiencing significant price hikes of 13 per cent in the past year.

Unfortunately, dry goods were up by 9.4 per cent. Some mealtime favourites have also seen marked price increases, such as Vegemite rising by 8 per cent, Bega peanut butter by 9 per cent, and certain yoghurts by 12 per cent.

Supply chain pressures and high labour costs may keep dry grocery inflation elevated into 2023, the report warned. However, the frequency of price rises may decrease as the situation stabilises.

In the meantime, many Australians are turning to supermarkets' private-label products to mitigate the rising cost of living pressures.

There is a silver lining, though: meat prices have been relatively stable, with chicken prices – which increased by 10 per cent in the past year – dropping by 1 per cent in the past few months. It was also revealed that pork was becoming 4 per cent cheaper.

This data might provide some relief to shoppers who rely on these proteins for their weekly meals.

UBS analyst Shaun Cousins also described the rising rate of food inflation as a ‘surprise’ and attributed the increase to supply chain and labour costs.

‘While monthly pricing data is volatile, especially fresh, given supply variability, it is valuable given the current period of materially high food inflation. The increasing rate of food inflation is a surprise and inconsistent with the declines reported by Coles and Woolworths in the third quarter,’ he said.

The report found Coles is now ahead of Woolworths, with its inflation up 10.5 per cent in April against 9.1 per cent in March. Meanwhile, Woolworths’ food inflation registered an 8.7 per cent growth in April and 9.7 per cent in March.

While the UBS report highlights several alarming statistics, it is crucial for us to stay informed about these market trends so we can make informed decisions about our shopping and budgets, especially in the face of such rising costs.
Key Takeaways

• Food and grocery prices at Australia's two supermarket giants, Woolworths and Coles, have surged by 9.6 per cent in April.
  • Coles disputes the findings of the report by investment bank UBS, which analysed over 60,000 items at the supermarkets.
  • Fresh food, in particular, contributed to the huge increase in prices as costs skyrocketed by 9.9 per cent.
  • UBS analysts warn that Australia is facing 'materially high food inflation,' with breakfast staples, dairy goods, and spreads climbing by 13 per cent in the past year.
Do you have any other tips for keeping on top of rising food prices? Do you think Coles and Woolworths need to do more to make sure inflation isn’t passed onto customers like us? Share your advice in the comments below!

The Supermarkets say they are reducing prices to help their customers through hard times but only after raising the prices on everything. It then looks like a markdown. Oh and all you see on sale is chocolate, chips and biscuits.

They do need to do more to stop inflation being passed onto customers. Do the farmers get the increases we are paying in the supermarkets, I bet not. Butter and yoghurt going up $2 a container is incredible. If the increases were say 50c per item that might be okay but by increasing the cost of items by $ amounts, is this not price gouging? I am no financial expert but know that my groceries are shrinking and I am buying the cheapest available from Woolies, Coles and Aldi. I have resorted to noodles, pasta and frozen vegetables to make my money go further. Cheese for me is a luxury now to make it my protein source. Where is it all going to end? I only buy homebrands and struggle to throw some tuna in now and then. I am sure I am not the only one feeling the pinch.
I feel the Unions have a lot to answer for with these price hikes. It is always the case, increase in wages, then it gets passed on to the goods with higher prices. However this is only partly to blame. The rest would be the want of more profits for the big boys.

Reactions: Liz
I can remember what grocery prices were one year ago. Compared to current prices the overall increase has been at least 25%.
Petrol prices have now returned to what they were twelve months ago.
Grocery prices and interest rates should also return to previous.
Engineered inflation should be re-engineered.

D

View attachment 20538

View attachment 20539

Key Takeaways

does anyone really believe what the major supermarkets are saying? Prices have increased on the shelves but the producers are squeezed into keeping their prices low! All this is a disgraceful act of GREED.

Reactions: Liz
the most profitable line for supermarkets now are the bags. at .30cents (COST .03c )=1000% profit...do the maths..1000customers per day =3000 bags p/day cost @.03cents =$90 sell @.30c=$900=gross profit per day x7 days=$6300pw x52= $327,600 per year. not bad and that's only one store...... oh, and the council tips are full of the the dearer bags, which don't break down as well as the old bags...so the changeover didn't work, now the tips are full of bags that don't break down as well as the old grey bags.....