HUGE new fines will be dealt out to thousands of Australian drivers as new state-of-the-art road cameras will detect traffic lawbreakers

HUGE new fines will be dealt out to thousands of Australian drivers as new state-of-the-art road cameras will detect traffic lawbreakers
Aussie drivers will be dealt with huge fines starting Monday as the moratorium for new cameras targeting phone use and seatbelt laws while behind the wheel ends.

Ministers warned that starting Monday, drivers who will be caught using a phone while driving will be fined a hefty $1,033 while drivers not wearing a seatbelt will be fined $413.

4w7Qxoy2GhMCEQ0rEnoBLqANbe9Mel5eJ1OuQw-TGXI8ZWXXwp49jl7N7-3aT_8YiVy6Asru08b_O33GtnGLWZkUI0D4hpQN6DTEmOUlYvvcg5mtVbC88RBiHBOmQimJa5472Ew

Huge fines will be dealt out to Aussie motorists as new state-of-the-art road cameras for detecting traffic lawbreakers will be in use starting Monday. Credit: 9NEWS.
Road and Transport Minister Mark Bailey said there would be 'no mercy' in dishing out the fines, hoping that the new ordinance will reduce cases of road fatalities.

'These cameras will be everywhere and they will move regularly.' he said.

'People will be very surprised to be caught on roads that they never thought they would get caught on. Enough is enough.'

Royal Automobile Club of Queensland (RACQ) spokesperson Renee Smith, said that the new state-of-the-art cameras were essential in detecting those who are not wearing seatbelts or using phones while on the road, noting that the cameras take clear photos through the windshield of drivers and automatically detect the aforementioned activities.

The spokesperson said: 'We know on average around 29 people are killed and more than 1000 others are seriously injured every year on Australian roads as a result of crashes where driver distraction played a part.'

'More detailed rules around mobile phone use by drivers, along with greater enforcement of the road rules through these first-of-a-kind cameras will help to reduce driver distraction and improve road safety in Australia.

'Sadly, we're still seeing drivers refusing to wear a seatbelt. Seatbelts save lives – it's as simple as that.'

Since the cameras have been in use in Queensland in July, more than 20,000 drivers have been caught breaking traffic rules.

o1u_pUD4VQidcylyDNl5a6JSMOsYWGhoXUdCmiGCAWOcfIcs1H8Lfnk0mrMFWPBcDZRhDyNhYTv8kDM025f9XP8-R2yGjWwnDHp-l38FS74MMep7MPgh6eZs3-bDEWTw9hFaPw0

Road and Transport Minister Mark Bailey said that there’d be ‘no mercy’ in dishing out fines as the Australian government aims to lower the number of road accidents. Credit: Getty Images.
Here at the SDC we always remind you to be careful when you’re on the road. Check out this article for a safe road trip.

Sponsored
What recourse do I have. I wear QLD Health Department issued black wrist splints. Twice I have been pulled over by police for being suspected of using my phone whilst driving. Each time when they got up to my vehicle they realised it was not a phone but my wrist splints. If mobile police mistake my wrist splints for a mobile phone when they are in a neighbouring car, then what will a camera shot look like and be interpreted as?

Just my valid concern.....

Reactions: Jersey Girl